Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

who/what introduced you to mabinogi?

Comments

• RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585
    Was playing Maple and saw the Announcement of the coming of Mabinogi. The Lorna and pan trailers made me really want to see what else it had. She was hitting a tree to lose weight, what other games have such a thing! xD
    Kensamaofmari
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    After beta testing maple story Nexon advertised Mabinogi beta testing and so i joined within the first wave. Then I beta tested Dragon Nest and Vindictus, Dungeon Fighter Online and Riders of Icarus....I stopped since most games started getting redundant in their game-play and story-lines. Probably wont beta test til something more revolutionary will come out.
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Naomii66 wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Gaea ~ The edit function was edited out of the editor to stop us from editing our edits. :smirk: :cry:

Um and what is this rank B stuff? WHAT **** IS GOING ON.

yeah I was confused too, I was gonna edit my post but the icon is gone

yxJrSbs.png

..I made my first post/comment -months- ago...
    apparently I can't edit my posts in other discussions either rip

I got a rank 2? Not sure where rank A and B went. Kind of disappointed no rank 1 there. :P
  • LeowolfLeowolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    edited September 30, 2017
    I came across a youtube video reviewing Mabi which got me to try it out game seamed so different tried it and got hooked
    Seeing this topic reminded me of that video so i just watched it again was some good reminiscence but looking back no idea why this video even got me to play Mabinogi but i got alot of joy out of it so all for the best

• lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    Someone I was buddies with in college who I met playing arcade games that I am one of the people who helped push him down the rabbit hole of anime. Eventually we started playing RO, and few years after college was talking to him, and he got me into mabi (a few months prior to Gen 3 being released)

Some years later he just quit, and hasn't been back as he got fed up with Nexon's business practices with gachas in the game. Unfortunately I lost track of him as the IM we used to keep in touch shut down too.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited October 1, 2017
    I joined around January 2013 at the insistence of a player whom isn't here anymore, I managed to be here such that I actually experienced the old-system of only being able to rebirth once every three weeks. Since then I've gone over Level 9000, mastered a ton of talents, and I'm currently unlikely to stop anytime soon. I'm much happier with Mabinogi now, with all the additions/changes they've added, than I was when I first joined.
  • MissFortuneMissFortune
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,530
    I was playing maplestory with my boyfriend(at the time, and husband now) and he saw an add. We decided to check it out, and have played since 2008 or so.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited October 1, 2017
    I joined around roughly at Oct 4th (few days after my birthday) in 2013. I was bored that time in another MMORPG game called Grand Chase and i had a dutch friend which i met from there. So yeah, i was very bored one day and i was chatting to him in Skype, so i went at him and asked to suggest me any good games and he said "try Mabinogi". At first, i was unsure and didn't know if i wanted to try it, so i watched some few, silly, very old/outdated videos of Lorna and Pan's journey (which i found in official Mabinogi page??? I think) and thought that the game looks very lame, so i decided to ignore it. After few months later, i was bored again and finally decided to download Mabinogi anyway. I created account, downloaded Mabinogi, made a character in Alexina server (joined Alexina just because it had "New" tag on it and i assumed that's where most fresh people must be gathered so i won't be that behind and such), and THEN decided to meet my friend, but actually forgot to ask in which server he was LOL. Apparently he was in Tarlach server (R.I.P) and i was like "Meh, gonna create another account and go to Tarlach server", but THANK GOD i didn't since i was too lazy that time. Would have regretted a lot. :trollface:
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    The Lorna and Pan video's are what lured people because people wanted to have fun just like the way the video showed. It was more fitting for that time frame when it was released. It's more of a simple general tutorial for the game without actually going into the game. Only Tir was open at the time and later on in the video's Dunbarton and Bangor was open. Not many skills were available only bolt magic and the basic melee( smash, windmill, defense and counter), range only had magnum shot.

I can't imagine what people would think if they went into the game with only the basic skills...and your highest melee weapon was a mace and kite shield until Bangor was accessible. And grinding all the in-game gold doing mostly Ciar dungeon just to buy those items. Oh, and no re-births for a few years.
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    I hope this isn't considered necroing but this was on the first page and I wanted to say how I joined, too! ; w ;
    It was two years ago. I used to roleplay as some character from Katekyo Hitman Reborn and I finished season 2 of SAO, and I wanted to play an mmorpg. A friend told me to play Maplestory, so I downloaded the nexon launcher and was checking out Maplestory when I clicked on 'All Games' or something, and seen Mabinogi. I seen the gameplay, and I seen that it was a "Do anything you want" type of game (WHICH I LOVE) so, I scrapped MS and downloaded mabi instead. I was actually about to quit mabi because it was too tough, and a bit boring until I met my group of friends. As the years went on, I had lost contact with them but I have also made new friends. I had a mentor during the early years, and he still teaches me things to this day. I have learned that the best gift to give is a helping hand, so I do my part and help in any way I can.

It makes me glad that I met who I did, and gotten this far in only two years.

Oh, and I probably will never quit mabi because I spent $1k in a single year, nearing 2k now this year. /shrug emoji Might be one of Nexon's favorite cash cow BUT I CANT HELP IT, THE GACHAS MAN. (:
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Leilicia wrote: »
    I hope this isn't considered necroing but this was on the first page and I wanted to say how I joined, too! ; w ;
    It was two years ago. I used to roleplay as some character from Katekyo Hitman Reborn and I finished season 2 of SAO, and I wanted to play an mmorpg. A friend told me to play Maplestory, so I downloaded the nexon launcher and was checking out Maplestory when I clicked on 'All Games' or something, and seen Mabinogi. I seen the gameplay, and I seen that it was a "Do anything you want" type of game (WHICH I LOVE) so, I scrapped MS and downloaded mabi instead. I was actually about to quit mabi because it was too tough, and a bit boring until I met my group of friends. As the years went on, I had lost contact with them but I have also made new friends. I had a mentor during the early years, and he still teaches me things to this day. I have learned that the best gift to give is a helping hand, so I do my part and help in any way I can.

Oh, and I probably will never quit mabi because I spent $1k in a single year, nearing 2k now this year. /shrug emoji Might be one of Nexon's favorite cash cow BUT I CANT HELP IT, THE GACHAS MAN. (:

$1-$2k is nothing for a large corporation.
    I haven't quit and spent a total of around $100 over the years. xD
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

I feel you dude. My husband found out that I spent over 700 bucks this year. He was pretty pissed. But what he doesn't know is that it's actually way higher than what he found. Way higher.

We have too many guns in the house. >_>
    Leilicia
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

I feel you dude. My husband found out that I spent over 700 bucks this year. He was pretty pissed. But what he doesn't know is that it's actually way higher than what he found. Way higher.

My boyfriend probably would have freaked out as hell if he would see me spending so much money on games like that LOL. Goof thing i just started to work, so let's see what i gonna do after my first payday XD
    Greta wrote: »

My boyfriend probably would have freaked out as hell if he would see me spending so much money on games like that LOL. Goof thing i just started to work, so let's see what i gonna do after my first payday XD

Whatever you do, I advise you not to anywhere near half of your paycheck on gaming.
    In the end, it's all about discipline.
    Leilicia
  • RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585

Oh man D:. Kensamaofmari is right. It is all about discipline. It is also a good rule of thumb to spend no more than 20-25% of your paycheck every month. The gatchas are pure gotcha baits.
    Leilicia
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    I think I just stumbled onto Mabi while I playing MS.
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Wow, I feel out spent by everyone. I probably only spent a few hundred dollars since the start of the game. I don't think I broke the $1,000 thresh for myself. I know I spent a lot on my siblings and spouse though.

I know my siblings were fed up with me for not buying any NX and getting a horse pet at least when Advanced Dungeons were released....So instead they got me a horse so the runs can go faster. I'm not sure anyone now would ever look back and wonder....what would it be like with no pets for a few years of playing mabi? You had to walk everywhere including advanced dungeons. :s

Wow 25% of monthly paycheck? I can see spending like $50 here and there cause of the insane gatcha's, but save up for the bigger deals near the end of the year. It shouldn't take up that much of the pay?

I'm not sure at what point the players have the power to choose what repairs and enforcement is needed for this product. It seems there's a lot of requests and suggestions throughout the years mabi has been up that has gone untouched and I think that is where the loss is at.

I know for a fact that most of the CB and OB testers for mabi have stopped playing mabi within a month of their official release. I know most people say ppl always come back, but as more and more ppl realize it...there is less and less ppl coming back......ever.
    asnscorpio wrote: »
    Wow, I feel out spent by everyone. I probably only spent a few hundred dollars since the start of the game. I don't think I broke the $1,000 thresh for myself. I know I spent a lot on my siblings and spouse though.

I know my siblings were fed up with me for not buying any NX and getting a horse pet at least when Advanced Dungeons were released....So instead they got me a horse so the runs can go faster. I'm not sure anyone now would ever look back and wonder....what would it be like with no pets for a few years of playing mabi? You had to walk everywhere including advanced dungeons. :s

Wow 25% of monthly paycheck? I can see spending like $50 here and there cause of the insane gatcha's, but save up for the bigger deals near the end of the year. It shouldn't take up that much of the pay?

I'm not sure at what point the players have the power to choose what repairs and enforcement is needed for this product. It seems there's a lot of requests and suggestions throughout the years mabi has been up that has gone untouched and I think that is where the loss is at.

I know for a fact that most of the CB and OB testers for mabi have stopped playing mabi within a month of their official release. I know most people say ppl always come back, but as more and more ppl realize it...there is less and less ppl coming back......ever.

Depends on how large that paycheck is
  • VenezziaofArcadiaVenezziaofArcadia
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,270
    edited October 5, 2017
    I saw the ads way back in the US Shonen Jump print edition, when Mabi had just come out in NA, and it looked interesting enough to try; it musta been late 2008. G3 had just come out, all mainstreams, rebirths and many more features were just for paying customers, but even so it was so unbelievably absorbing and unlike anything else, I haven't stopped playing since, at most it's been a couple of weeks away from the game in these nine years.

As for money spent, so far it's been 285k Nx, not counting the couple of times Nexon gave out Nx for compensation and such, so that's around $285 in nine years so... not bad, I guess? My very first purchase was for the Haflinger horse when it first came out, and mostly I've used them for pets, not wanting to spend much money on consumables or gachas.
  • SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,690
    Probably this thing I think.