Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dan ranks animation change

LhakrymaLhakryma
Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
in General Chat
Do all skills change their animation when you get a dan rank? And does it keep changing with dan rank, from 1 through 3?
Cuz I noticed thunder looks baller as hell!

Comments

• HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    They do actually, not sure about dan 1-3 but lightning rod also turns black.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    No difference between Dan 1 and 3 as far as i can tell.

Fireball isn't visible enough, I expected better
    Ice Spear is meh
    Thunder is cool
    Healing is kinda nice
    Firebolt is ok
    Icebolt is ok
    Lightning bolt is kinda cool
    Lightning Rod is cool

Windmill is nice
    Combat mastery is.... no change? Can't see much
    Smash, what change?

Crisis is nice

That's all I have
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Gaby5011 wrote: »

Fireball isn't visible enough, I expected better
    Ice Spear is meh
    Thunder is cool
    Healing is kinda nice
    Firebolt is ok
    Icebolt is ok
    Lightning bolt is kinda cool
    Lightning Rod is cool

Windmill is nice
    Smash, what change?

Crisis is nice

That's all I have

if there is a difference it's very small from 1-3, but yeah lightning is probably the most noticeable, maybe along with defence
  • qaccyqaccy
    Mabinogi Rep: 545
    edited November 15, 2017
    Gaby5011 wrote: »

Smash, what change?

Combat mastery adds visual effects to normal attack animations for melee weapons (really noticeable during Final Hit!). Smash adds an on-hit visual effect, but this is overridden by the visual effect of special upgrades so you generally won't see it.

Flash launcher adds a visual effect similar to Smash (also overridden by special upgrades) and I personally couldn't spot what changed about Shooting Rush nor Sand Burst.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    The visual effects aren't overwritten - per se - they just only play during crits on many of the Dan Skills, at least from what I've personally experienced. It seems to predominantly be magic that plays its new effects every time.
  • qaccyqaccy
    Mabinogi Rep: 545
    Clovis15 wrote: »
    The visual effects aren't overwritten - per se - they just only play during crits on many of the Dan Skills, at least from what I've personally experienced. It seems to predominantly be magic that plays its new effects every time.

Not true in my experience. I think the important distinction here is that some skills have different visuals on-hit, while others have different visuals for the animation itself. On-hit visuals are overridden by special upgrades. It was as simple as attacking a few times with both Smash and Flash Launcher, using a special upgraded weapon and then swapping to one without them to see the difference. There's a Dan visual for both skills on both normal hits and criticals, and with the special upgraded weapons it's overwritten in both instances by those hit effects instead. Other skills such as magic or Windmill are always visible since there's more to those than simply a different hit effect, or an alternative visual entirely (such as Windmill's visual being applied to your character rather than the enemies hit).
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited November 15, 2017
    Counterattack has a nice Dan effect. I noticed when running dungeons with my friend.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/9265/dan-effects-show-them-off

Look to this thread from the past!

There are even GIfs showing some of the changed animations.
    Sherri
  • LhakrymaLhakryma
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    Thanks for all the help!
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Oh yeah forgot defense. I love it!