Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Why do people constantly insist that mabi is dying

Comments

• Pip-BoyPip-Boy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    Trythis wrote: »
    @Pip-Boy but if it is about each individual servers capacity then chs do matter

I never said they didn't. A channel's capacity is basically the server's divvied up in some way. Since people are going on about population and going off of channel fullness we need to have those numbers.
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Pip-Boy ~ If each server has one channel capable of reaching Full (in the red; no one can log into it); this means we would have at least 4 channels capable of going into the red if all 4 servers were merged together into one (no matter how many channels they assigned to it) .. and this would be very bad .. in terms of -- lag .. server stress ... and memory management ..

If we followed this train of logic then games with enormous playerbases like WoW would not be able to exist at all. Nexon could get better servers add more channels and implement features like an in-game trading board so that people won't crowd a single channel with party advertisements. It's not uncommon for games that pass their honeymoon period or even games that start dying to do merges, in fact it's one of the things that prevent the latter games from dying off completely. The reason mabi doesn't definitely isn't because it's thriving given it's age and the state of 2/4 of its four channels, but because NA never implemented the features needed, the cost of server infrastructure and, depending on how character data is stored, whatever labor is needed in transferring character.

NA mabi and all of the content past present and future has been financed by its more popular Japanese and Korean cousins, which might I add have more channels per server and features like Auction Hall to help alleviate trade issues. Content is being brought over because the cost of localization and running the game is less than what the game is making. Often times companies will hold onto properties even when margins are slim because they'd otherwise lose a marketshare and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with NA Mabi.
  • UnisexUnisex
    Veylaine wrote: »
    @Unisex I know it wasn't serious, but no matter the intent we don't know how others especially newer players would think when they see that some will get it some won,t, I'm speaking from personal experience so take it with a grain of salt, but I had quite of new players be unwilling to ask for help because of the stigma from statements like that. Sorry about the tone policing.

While I thought me quoting them almost word for word would give no doubt it was all in jest, I shall keep what you're saying in mind~. Seriously.
    Veylaine
  • TrythisTrythis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,170
    Trythis wrote: »
    @Pip-Boy
    Long story short though we cant give you answers because we arent the ones with the numbers so we can probably just speculate.

You're asking the wrong people theres a good chance no one here has that info
  • ScarlyScarly
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    @Scarly ~ Welcome to Mabinogi. ~ This forum represents less than half of 1 percent of the game's total population. (< .5%). Don't let the sparse delusions of those who've been screaming since the day the game first opened to the public (January 30, 2008) bother you. Threads like these are usually devised by members of one guild; as opposed to intervention by the community at large or as a whole.

They do this in hopes of strengthening lost appeals. ~ Such as the 9 year old (won't happen anytime soon or ever) appeal to merge servers.

Hahaha, thank you for the welcome HM! Can I call you HM? Hardmuscle just seems a little awkward to type out all of the time. Though, HM does sound like a fashionable line of clothing for men. Clothes For HM. Yeah, that's not a bad idea for a brand. I'd totally take my boyfriend to shop there, if this fictional entity existed.

Anyways, I won't let the negativity get me down, hahaha. It's actually weird, though. Things like "X is Dying" can become self-fulfilling prophecies because people that are new to the game will see the name of the topic and then read through and feel put off and then maybe they'd move on. Tbh, when I was investigating games, I saw this topic and was like, "lol, if you have to ask the question...." Of course, that was before I tried it. I guess I really wanted to chime in here so that people didn't get the impression that all was hopeless and lost.

Also too, you were right in your posts about the impact of cyber security. I used to be an admin on a few fansites (that will go unmentioned because I'm so embarrassed by my past!!!!!!!) and DDOS attacks are a real (and an expensive issue).

Annnd, merging servers is a real request? Sounds like a mess to me. Alexina is already sometimes laggy...
    watercat0 wrote: »
    you dont know this but the game has nothing to offer after you beaten the story, you do not need a powerful weapon to be powerful and fashion is lock behind gotcha. if you were to not play the storyline, you will see the same problems.

Eh, maybe I'm just a simpleton, but I don't think that stuff will matter to me. I mean, I once spent 400 hours fishing in WoW, lol. I'm not exactly hard to amuse. XD I totally admit that this may not be normal, but hey - how many weirdos does it take to keep a game from dying? :P And pouring time into Mabi is sooo much more rewarding than anything that I ever did in WoW, lol.
    [Deleted User]
  • Pip-BoyPip-Boy
    Pip-Boy wrote: »
    If we followed this train of logic then games with enormous playerbases like WoW would not be able to exist at all. Nexon could get better servers add more channels and implement features like an in-game trading board so that people won't crowd a single channel with party advertisements. It's not uncommon for games that pass their honeymoon period or even games that start dying to do merges, in fact it's one of the things that prevent the latter games from dying off completely. The reason mabi doesn't definitely isn't because it's thriving given it's age and the state of 2/4 of its four channels, but because NA never implemented the features needed, the cost of server infrastructure and, depending on how character data is stored, whatever labor is needed in transferring character.

NA mabi and all of the content past present and future has been financed by its more popular Japanese and Korean cousins, which might I add have more channels per server and features like Auction Hall to help alleviate trade issues. Content is being brought over because the cost of localization and running the game is less than what the game is making. Often times companies will hold onto properties even when margins are slim because they'd otherwise lose a marketshare and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with NA Mabi.
    How many servers can you run on your computer with your current ISP? How many people can connect to, and transfer data back and forth from, those servers? Even if Nexon purchased a super-server with 90000 channels it wouldn't matter, if the entire population lived on (and completely packed to the hilt) 4 channels. The channels are not what makes the game populated or what gives the game its place. In fact, the channels are what makes the population seem low. -- and that's the problem; without the channels this game would not survive; as the memory consumption and requirement to host that many people on a single channel isn't practical. (Even with a merge, of all of the servers, the memory would still need disbursement and thus the requirement for the same channels we have now would be there, and nothing will have changed).

You buy/rent dedicated machines to run a server on. You generally don't run servers for mmos on personal computers with home internet nor should you ever use that as a benchmark.

Yes that's one of the uses of channels as well, which is why high population servers overseas have lots of them. Another use is to prevent overcrowding of game areas. What server merges accomplish is to save the vestiges of a dying server by merging it with an active ones and one reason for doing this is to prevent players from leaving the game altogether. Even if the caps on each channel remains the same players having a population to interact with is far more important.
This discussion has been closed.