Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Forced Rebirths, why?

Comments

• LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    It is a tutorial rebirth. It's just to give the player a run-through on how to do the process. Why does there have to be a 'why' or 'how to avoid it'? You're playing as a new character. If you're under 1,000 cumulative on your account, you get daily rebirths until you hit that cap so this isn't really that big of a deal.

I understand you're attached to that character of almost 500 years past 25, but rebirthing is a major game mechanic in Mabinogi, allowing you to change class and restart your levels. Hitting 1,000 allows you to start being affected by the Potential System.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited May 4, 2018
    DueFuss wrote: »
    A few months ago I started playing Mabinogi again after being away from it for about 4 years. Found i had 5 new character cards to use and so created new characters. All were forced to rebirth before proceeding on in the game. Seemed odd to me, but no biggie at the time.

Just did the Missing Townfolk quest and was sent up to Nao after speaking to Trefor. There was no option to back out of the rebirthing process. Made it feel like -nonsense- . To not be rebirthed, i had to force a hard shutdown on the game. Couldn't cancel the rebirth, couldn't log out, couldn't end game.

What's going on? Why the need to make everyone rebirth? Yes there's benefits to rebirth, but it should be a choice. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but what you're doing is really freaky.

It literally exist so you have to pick a talent.
    Enough with this weird gimmicy garbage that getting thrown around.
    Like other people have mentioned you can just turn off age and level and act like you never rebirthed in the first place.
    Why are you making a big deal out of literally nothing?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited May 3, 2018
    Opalthira wrote: »
    A few months ago I started playing Mabinogi again after being away from it for about 4 years. Found i had 5 new character cards to use and so created new characters. All were forced to rebirth before proceeding on in the game. Seemed odd to me, but no biggie at the time.

Just did the Missing Townfolk quest and was sent up to Nao after speaking to Trefor. There was no option to back out of the rebirthing process. *beep*. To not be rebirthed, i had to force a hard shutdown on the game. Couldn't cancel the rebirth, couldn't log out, couldn't end game.

What's going on? Why the need to make everyone rebirth? Yes there's benefits to rebirth, but it should be a choice. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but what you're doing is really freaky.

It literally exist so you have to pick a talent.
    Enough with this weird gimmicy garbage that getting thrown around.
    Like other people have mentioned you can just turn off age and level and act like you never rebirthed in the first place.
    Why are you making a big deal out of literally nothing?

Yeah lol.
    Also uh oh, you somehow quoted OP's unedited post.
    After OP compared useful game mechanic with real life tragedy, i decided to fully deny everything they are saying now and won't take them seriously anymore. 10/10 people logic nowadays.
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited May 3, 2018
    Carlize wrote: »
    I see why it can be an issue if you're in an ace talent and don't want to lose it yet or something, but otherwise even if you wanted to stay under 1k for beginner benefits the one rebirth wouldn't hurt you. You can also uncheck the "reset age and level" button to only reset your talent during the rebirth. It does make sense that they do it though, there's certain things like getting into Festia that they don't allow until you've rebirthed once, and like people said it's mostly a tutorial. It's the last time you'll ever be forced to rebirth iirc so it might be annoying, but it's not indicative of the rest of the game.

Actually, to OP's credit, I did the quest with my Giant Alt that had yet to do it. He was 137 years past 25 and even though I unchecked the box, it still put my age in the character window as 1 year past 25. So there's apparently a glitch with it?

However, if you're actually going to play with that character, it seems kind of pointless to not rebirth unless you're looking at an issue like the Maid/Butler/Vocaloid hair that would get taken away with the rebirth.

@Opalthira Please make sure your quote reflects the now edited one so the moderators don't have to make a return trip?
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Just ignore it, adults...
    Basically I think OP's problem could be fixed with greater transparency and choice. Just tell the player you're about to get rebirthed and offer a choice. The Nao equipment boxes do a fine job of offering you gear options and still letting you back out.

Also, OP, don't worry about not having a talent. Lots of people would love to not have one.
    skpkion
  • DueFussDueFuss
    Mabinogi Rep: 755
    ...there's certain things like getting into Festia that they don't allow until you've rebirthed once, ...

The "Missing Townfolk" quest forces rebirth, The first step of the "return incentives" requires rebirth before you can proceed.
    And my char "Docharry" has no problem enter Festia or doing Saga, yet she has never been reborn.

Mabinogi just had it's 10th anniversary. In another 8 weeks, Docharry will have her tenth anniversary, which in all likelihood would make her the oldest unreborn character in the game. I'd like to keep her that way. All it would take is one little rebirth to spoil that...

If it really is no big deal to get reborn, then it's no big deal to not be reborn. So way is it being forced? Must be pretty important to Nexon/Mabinogi and i'd love to see their answer. Anything else is just speculation.

{how do i insert a screenshot?}
    skpkion
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited May 3, 2018
    {how do i insert a screenshot?}

For a screenshot, you have to have it sourced somewhere and then you can post it using green button above the text box. It looks like a photo to the right of the C button. Insert the link and you're golden.

Also, that's pretty impressive on Docharry.
  • DueFussDueFuss
    ...there's certain things like getting into Festia that they don't allow until you've rebirthed once, ...

The "Missing Townfolk" quest forces rebirth, The first step of the "return incentives" requires rebirth before you can proceed.
    And my char "Docharry" has no problem enter Festia or doing Saga, yet she has never been reborn.

Mabinogi just had it's 10th anniversary. In another 8 weeks, Docharry will have her tenth anniversary, which in all likelihood would make her the oldest unreborn character in the game. I'd like to keep her that way. All it would take is one little rebirth to spoil that...

If it really is no big deal to get reborn, then it's no big deal to not be reborn. So way is it being forced? Must be pretty important to Nexon/Mabinogi and i'd love to see their answer. Anything else is just speculation.

mabinogi_2018_05_03_005.jpg?width=563&height=456
    mabinogi_2018_05_03_006.jpg?width=563&height=456
  • ZuomoZuomo
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    It's probably important to them because its the way they wanted the game to be played more or less, and rather than serve a minority of people who'd wanna be stuck at a max level of 200, they'd want players to understand the game from the start regardless. More or less should offer a opt out button for the people who wanna nerf themselves.

I personally just would offer the information and not force anyone to do it as long as they could answer questions based of the subject correctly, so we can make sure people know the mechanics at least.

Though I really don't know why youd not wanna rebirth, would seem like the game would get rather dull, unless you were doing some roleplay thing.
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    I think it's the whole option to rebirth or not and some people just choose not to and want to leave their characters to develop without a rebirth. Also the talent title gets a bit obnoxious as well as you cannot turn it off.

I know initially a grown character is stronger than a rebirth character in the beginning and it does take a while for a constant rebirth character to get the strength of a fully grown character from age 10+. It does get a bit discouraging to rebirth at first...I can see how doing certain quests to continue the game before you want to rebirth is what some people want as they want to rebirth at their own time of choosing rather than being forced to do so before continuing and starting at lvl 1 as the character becomes weaker and you have to re-level so that you are strong enough to continue.

Some people like their character the way it is.
  • DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    personally i don't like the forced rebirth. can understand if they've done it for tutorial reasons though.
    it just means i can never do any gen quests on my oldest character that i made in 2009 and has never been rebirthed, since i never wanted to pay for it back then. i never want to rebirth him to keep his age, and also because he's still wearing the ferghus wings c:
    DueFussskpkion
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425

mabinogi_2018_05_03_005.jpg?width=563&height=456
    mabinogi_2018_05_03_006.jpg?width=563&height=456

Tutorial reasons. People in general are generally love kinesthetic and visual demonstrations, and it makes it far easier. The lack of choice is intentionally done to have hesitant players go on with it, to show them that it isn't something to be regretted. Or if they skipped a dialogue choice by accident. (Which Happens)

To argue on the concept of choice as some inherent goodness is to ignore that half the game is in a way forced, and the true choice one has is to not play.

They also probably don't care for those every 1 out of a 1000 exceptions, because everyone will not be satisfied with any of their choices, and their response is "Tough, deal with it." You may be the oldest unrebirthed character, but you could be the only one who hasn't rebirthed. It is oversight, sure, but oversight they see no reason to fix, because people are finicky, and the customer isn't always right, versus Customers.

You do realize the developers are Korean or Japanese, and that they may no longer work on this game, right? Speculation is likely the best you can get.
    DueFussLeineiUnpayed
  • SoraHakuDASoraHakuDA
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,545

Just did the Missing Townfolk quest and was sent up to Nao after speaking to Trefor. There was no option to back out of the rebirthing process. -removed-. To not be rebirthed, i had to force a hard shutdown on the game. Couldn't cancel the rebirth, couldn't log out, couldn't end game.

Simple. If you don't want to rebirth, just open task manager, and force quit the game. It may take you a few tries and "End Task" button spamming, but you'll get out of mabi and don't need to rb. But i do agree with most people here. This is done just to teach new players how to rb and the benefits and what not. Not your fault that you happen to be an experienced player working on a new character.

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Yeah I noticed the same thing about the forced rebirth. Why it matters is that some of the facial features are available for free only during this special rebirth. So that first character of mine that went through this was me paying to learn that. Now, I avoid doing the quest until I'm ready to finalize the facial features I want. It works but it is at the heart of it a kludge.
  • SuperNubSuperNub
    Mabinogi Rep: 420
    It did harm. I lost my Eiry due to the forced rebirth and the fact that I had an Elf of around 420 years past 25. T_T
    DueFussskpkion
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    SuperNub wrote: »
    It did harm. I lost my Eiry due to the forced rebirth and the fact that I had an Elf of around 420 years past 25. T_T

Even in the old days Eiry eventually went away; I think it was when you hit level 30? But ya ouch, you do form a kind of attachment. And the fact that the Eiry was more or less kinda useless doesn't make it feel any better. I feel your pain.
    DueFuss
  • NemesisNemesis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    edited May 10, 2018
    Lol what in the world.

We've really reach a place where people complain about everything.
    LeineiGretaVeylaineBronzebreak
  • ZuomoZuomo
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    Nemesis wrote: »
    Lol what in the world.

Nah we past that point years ago, we are now just riding a bullet train, breaking through every rock bottom waiting till we get to the point where someone sues nexon because they don't like the way gold shines.
  • DueFussDueFuss
    Lol what in the world.

Not helpful.
  • DueFussDueFuss
    Zuomo wrote: »
    Lol what in the world.

Nah we past that point years ago, we are now just riding a bullet train, breaking through every rock bottom waiting till we get to the point where someone sues nexon because they don't like the way gold shines.

also not helpful, but funny. lol