Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Price differences between servers.

FroglordFroglord
Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
edited July 28, 2018 in General Chat
For people who play on multiple, or other servers, do prices effect you differently? Is it hard to adjust to different economies?

I know alot of items on Alexina are way more expensive than that on other servers, so it's a common sight to see something that sells for 5m on say Ruairi sell for 20m on Alexina.

Comments

• HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Making good gear on low pop servers is much harder because almost always if you need mats you gotta get them yourself.
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    It probably really depends on what it is, and how flooded the server is with the particular item (such as how often the gacha drops it). And I think there will always be outliers. I've seen quite a few clothing that was more than 10 mil, only to scroll down and find the same outfit only 1 or 2 mil. I know what they say about low population and people monopolizing items, but I've seen plenty of instances where people didn't have a monopoly on the particular item and yet still demanded ridiculous prices. It very much confuses me.

But I must apologize. I'm only on one server so this is just my observations from the one.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    Depends on the item, the rarity, the pop. of the people on the servers, how much crap they hoard (I know I have loads of stuff I've hoarded over the years.. most being useless sadly.), etc.

Froglord wrote: »
    I know alot of items on Alexina are way more expensive than that on other servers, so it's a common sight to see something that sells for 5m on say Ruairi sell for 20m on Alexina.

This kind of surprises me a bit, as I've been using a website that tells me what is on the housing board on each server, their price, and the IGN of who is selling them. (I'm not sure if I am allowed to link said website however, so I'll not mention it until told otherwise)
    I can't see any details or actually buy the item however, which is to be expected.

I've noticed that a vast majority of items I've searched up that I was curious of the price or just not near a housing board, the other servers had cheaper items compared to Mari (my server), including Alexina's items.

Now this could of very well changed with the addition of the auction house, for the better or worse, but that's just what I've seen. I'm also only from one server myself besides the website I've mentioned, I have no way of seeing any other marketing area (Dunby, Belvast, Auction, etc.) so my observations are rather limited as well. :l
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    Making good gear on low pop servers is much harder because almost always if you need mats you gotta get them yourself.

Mats markets can also be volatile on lower pop servers because demand is inconsistent which means that it doesn't really make good profit. When in demand supply is not always available.

The lack of crafting incentives and a sustainable market for crafted items is why lower pop servers have a poor mats market.
    If there was only a way that made use of mats in repairs, I believe the mats market will boom. People will also be more active.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    All the reasons mentioned for the price differences are valid ones. Alexina is the most populated server, so the effects already mentioned as a result of that are already at play, but there is one more thing to note and it's straight out of first-year economics: the bigger the server population, the larger the money supply. An intro to macro-economics course will tell you that if you increase the money supply you get inflation.
    Helsa wrote: »
    All the reasons mentioned for the price differences are valid ones. Alexina is the most populated server, so the effects already mentioned as a result of that are already at play, but there is one more thing to note and it's straight out of first-year economics: the bigger the server population, the larger the money supply. An intro to macro-economics course will tell you that if you increase the money supply you get inflation.

Mabinogi's economy was built by player made/player demanded hyperinflation.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited August 2, 2018
    One thing you should keep in mind is that Alexina has a bunch of loonies - whom I sadly can't name - that consistently price things high, yet people rarely buy from them. These loonies on Alexina often get reported to other people as evidence of Alexina's broken marketplace, but no one ever reports how these items virtually never sell. The fact that you see an item - specifically the exact same item - sitting around forever on the Housing Board meant no one wanted it, especially at that price. Even more hilarious is the Auction House - which lists the average value for recent transactions - as it further proves this special subset will deliberately ignore market trends, even to their own detriment.

I'm not sure why, but certain people regularly list items at over 5m - or more - even when there's multiple other people selling them at considerably lower prices (sometimes even concurrently on the Auction House). You then examine these items and there isn't even anything particularly special about them, they don't have more durability - interesting reforges (or often any at all) - or anything else special over the vast cadre of currently cheaper offerings. I'd nearly believe they were deliberately trying to give the server a bad name, since they're not really making much money this way, but it's lunacy to claim that's actually their agenda (I can't believe they'd spend so much effort just to do that).

I'd like to say more on the matter, but that's pretty much as far as I can go without giving names.

If I had any real advice for people on Alexina, it'd be to do their homework before buying something (although the Auction House has greatly simplified that for a good many things). Items can certainly be crazy when they first come out, but prices tend to drop very quickly. If you can wait at least a week, then things should often improve considerably. Most items are not nearly as bad as people regularly make out, and patience never killed anyone.

As for advice to people of all servers: you don't HAVE to wear each new Fashionogi item, especially when you're just going to turn aound and sell it - often for far less than you initially spent - the moment the next pretty whatchamacallit releases. Buy things because you like them on a deeply personal level, not because everyone else is currently wearing them. You'll save so much money if you don't bulk up on clothing that won't be worth nearly what you paid for it after the fad period has ended, as the value of clothing can - and often does - tank hard after it's time has gone.
    Sherri
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Clovis15 wrote: »
    One thing you should keep in mind is that Alexina has a bunch of loonies - whom I sadly can't name - that consistently price things high, yet people rarely buy from them. These loonies on Alexina often get reported to other people as evidence of Alexina's broken marketplace, but no one ever reports how these items virtually never sell. The fact that you see an item - specifically the exact same item - sitting around forever on the Housing Board meant no one wanted it, especially at that price. Even more hilarious is the Auction House - which lists the average value for recent transactions - as it further proves this special subset will deliberately ignore market trends, even to their own detriment.

I'm not sure why, but certain people regularly list items at over 5m - or more - even when there's multiple other people selling them at considerably lower prices (sometimes even concurrently on the Auction House). You then examine these items and there isn't even anything particularly special about them, they don't have more durability - interesting reforges (or often any at all) - or anything else special over the vast cadre of currently cheaper offerings. I'd nearly believe they were deliberately trying to give the server a bad name, since they're not really making much money this way, but it's lunacy to claim that's actually their agenda (I can't believe they'd spend so much effort just to do that).

I'd like to say more on the matter, but that's pretty much as far as I can go without giving names.

If I had any real advice for people on Alexina, it'd be to do their homework before buying something (although the Auction House has greatly simplified that for a good many things). Items can certainly be crazy when they first come out, but prices tend to drop very quickly. If you can wait at least a week, then things should often improve considerably. Most items are not nearly as bad as people regularly make out, and patience never killed anyone.

As for advice to people of all servers: you don't HAVE to wear each new Fashionogi item, especially when you're just going to turn around and sell it - often for far less than you initially spent - the moment the next pretty whatchamacallit releases. Buy things because you like them on a deeply personal level, not because everyone else is currently wearing them. You'll save so much money if you don't bulk up on clothing that won't be worth nearly what you paid for it after the fad period has ended, as the value of clothing can - and often does - tank hard after it's time has gone.

Yep, that is basic Micro-Economics. But those folks who sit on their prices to their detriment, I don't think are crazy or stupid; you see, sellers can be patient too. Think of a guy who owns a piano store, he might sell one piano a month. It's a high ticket item and he has to wait for a customer looking to buy. They can turn around and say the folks selling for low are doing so out of panic, and if they had patience they could get a better price. When the item that sells for the ungodly amount sells, then the wait is worth it right? The fact that they are still in business tells me that like the old aphorism goes: a sucker is born every minute, there will ALWAYS be SOMEONE who will eventually be willing to pay the price. This, I think, explains the folks consistently charging ungodly prices. Your advice for buyers is correct though, you must be patient, and maybe not impulse buy so much. In a free market, it's all about who blinks first. Buyers, wait it out until a seller panics and sells for less than they could get, this is what the high-end sellers do in order to flip the item for so much more. Sellers, wait it out until a buyer panics and buys for more than it's worth. This is how the game is played. Of course, when there is an item on sale you'd really really like but it's so expensive you can't get it, that really sucks, but then I'd like a Lamborghini but they cost too much.

Sherri
    Helsa wrote: »
    Clovis15 wrote: »

As for advice to people of all servers: you don't HAVE to wear each new Fashionogi item, especially when you're just going to turn around and sell it - often for far less than you initially spent - the moment the next pretty whatchamacallit releases. Buy things because you like them on a deeply personal level, not because everyone else is currently wearing them. You'll save so much money if you don't bulk up on clothing that won't be worth nearly what you paid for it after the fad period has ended, as the value of clothing can - and often does - tank hard after it's time has gone.

Yep, that is basic Micro-Economics. But those folks who sit on their prices to their detriment, I don't think are crazy or stupid; you see, sellers can be patient too. Think of a guy who owns a piano store, he might sell one piano a month. It's a high ticket item and he has to wait for a customer looking to buy. They can turn around and say the folks selling for low are doing so out of panic, and if they had patience they could get a better price. When the item that sells for the ungodly amount sells, then the wait is worth it right? The fact that they are still in business tells me that like the old aphorism goes: a sucker is born every minute, there will ALWAYS be SOMEONE who will eventually be willing to pay the price. This, I think, explains the folks consistently charging ungodly prices. Your advice for buyers is correct though, you must be patient, and maybe not impulse buy so much. In a free market, it's all about who blinks first. Buyers, wait it out until a seller panics and sells for less than they could get, this is what the high-end sellers do in order to flip the item for so much more. Sellers, wait it out until a buyer panics and buys for more than it's worth. This is how the game is played. Of course, when there is an item on sale you'd really really like but it's so expensive you can't get it, that really sucks, but then I'd like a Lamborghini but they cost too much.

For certain items, rarer items, gacha items. A seller may value it at a certain way, which normally at first glance is way too high.But when you factor in the potential supply in the market and how much it is in demand, it can explain why prices get so inflated. For any item where the supply increases by just a bit, prices crash. You can see that for some consumables.mats that is the case.
    On Mari, back when blue upgrade stones were not as common, you'll find price ranges from 100,000 - 500,000 depending on availability.
    Now, I'm seeing prices as low as 20,000. So once goods become available prices will fall. But if there is an uncertain or low amount of supplies of certain goods, prices will be high.
    If mats being sold are expensive, you have to look at the available supply and the demand. Getting some mats isn't easy and is time consuming and I believe players price based on that factor and especially when they know that there is always demand since there are always players who will need them.
    Sherri