Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Monster Knowledge: Transformation Mastery Addon

IAAWIAAW
Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
edited August 14, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
Ideas for improving Transformation Mastery has been suggested regularly, and one of those suggestions has always been being able to use monster-specific skills while transformed, and I agree; being able to use monster-specific skills would be both fun and would incorporate a "shifter" role in Mabinogi, fighting through transformations and utilizing the skills of monsters rather than fighting with sword, bow, and spell. However, this would be admittedly hard to balance; how would these skills be accessed? What would the requirements be? Should there be an AP requirement? And so on. In any case, I feel like I've come up with a new addition and a new skill that would both add a skill/AP gate to accessing monster skills, along with keeping them all in one place for easy access.

For starters, a new tab could be added to the Skills menu called the "Monster" tab; this tab would be where all the monster skills you unlock can be stored. Speaking of monster skills, you would access them not necessarily through Transformation Mastery alone (which could be moved to the Monster tab), but through a new skill that I'm calling Monster Knowledge. This skill would act as a culmination of your monster knowledge, and alongside Transformation Mastery would be a skill that would dictate which monster skills you would have access to while transformed. Also like Transformation Mastery, Monster Knowledge would be trained and ranked by collecting transformations; however, unlike Transformation Mastery, Monster Knowledge cares about your overall collection of monster transformations rather than just of a specific rank.

Through this skill, utilizing a monster's skill would require two things; the specific transformation, along with requiring the same Monster Knowledge rank as that transformation's rank. As a pure example of how this would work (and how I envision the skill functioning), here are two examples; Web Spinning and Flames of Hell.

---

Web Spinning
Spider-only skill. Consume MP to generate cobwebs beneath you.

- Collect a Rank F Spider transformation in the Transformation Diary.
- Reach Rank F of Monster Knowledge

---

Once both conditions are met, you would be able to use Web Spinning while transformed as a spider, which would be, well... spinning webs. Technically the skill is called "Produce Cobweb", but "Web Spinning" sounds better to me. To the next example;

---

Flames of Hell
Master Lich-only skill. Consume MP to engulf a targeted area in flames for a period of time that deals constant Fire-based magic damage to enemies.

- Collect the Master Lich transformation in the Transformation Diary.
- Reach Rank 1 of Monster Knowledge

---

Again, once both conditions are met, you would be able to use the Flames of Hell skill while transformed as a Master Lich. The conditions are obviously far more difficult to meet however, needing both Rank 1 Transformation Mastery and Rank 1 Monster Knowledge while also needing to have successfully collected the Master Lich transformation. This is the example I'm trying to show; Transformation Mastery would dictate what transformations you have access to (and what transformations you can collect) while Monster Knowledge would dictate which monster-specific skills you have access to. And as noted before, any monster-specific skills you gain access to would be contained in a "Monster" tab for easy access and would only be able to be used while in specific transformations.

As a final example for how I believe Monster Knowledge could be trained/ranked, as before it would be ranked based on your overall collection of transformations in the Transformation Diary, rather than just caring about a specific rank. While I have an idea as is on how many transformations you would need to have collected for each rank, I personally believe that 250 monster collections should be enough for Rank 1 Monster Knowledge, while 300 monster collections should be enough for the master title. Here's the amounts that I think would be good, along with a suggested master title/bonuses.

Rank Novice: Less than 10 monster transformations in the Transformation Diary.
Rank F: 10 monster transformations in the Transformation Diary.
Rank E: 20 monster transformations.
Rank D: 30 monster transformations.
Rank C: 40 monster transformations.
Rank B: 50 monster transformations.
Rank A: 60 monster transformations.
Rank 9: 70 monster transformations.
Rank 8: 85 monster transformations.
Rank 7: 100 monster transformations.
Rank 6: 115 monster transformations.
Rank 5: 130 monster transformations.
Rank 4: 150 monster transformations.
Rank 3: 175 monster transformations.
Rank 2: 200 monster transformations.
Rank 1: 250 monster transformations.
300 Monster Transformations: Monster Knowledge master title unlocked.

"the Monster Scholar"

+25% Capture Rate
+50 HP
+20 STR
+10 Defense
+10 Magic Defense
+5 Protection

The idea behind the master title's stats is to act as a very hefty capture rate bonus to help with collecting any stragglers (more specifically, any remaining monster transformations you've yet to collect). While I don't know how many more monsters will be added to the Transformation Diary overtime, ideally once you have 300 collected monster transformations you would have a sizeable collection and by that point would likely appreciate having the additional capture rate to help with topping off and completing the Transformation Diary, if desired.

Finally, while this is more of an additional suggestion and ideally with this you would have the skill necessary to get around, I would suggest adding melee combat/movement/knockdown animations to dragons. This would be primarily so that, if nothing else is done about Transformation Mastery, that players could at least utilize the Rank 1 dragon transformations for combat instead of relegating them to Fashionogi/hunter trophies.
THICCthighssavelives

Comments