Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Certain Blunt weapons not working with Stance Card

GiegueGiegue
Mabinogi Rep: 2,975
edited August 25, 2018 in Bugs and Glitches
What happens: Equipping a Dream Catcher with a One-Handed Blunt Stance Card does not cause a change in stance. This is the case for all Dream Catchers.
What should happen: The Stance should change as they are One-Handed Blunt weapons.
How to recreate: Activate a the One-handed Blunt stance card, and equip any Dream Catcher.

Video
Evidence of One-Handed Blunt Weapon status

A friend enlightened me that Dream Catchers use the Wand's combat animations, despite being Blunt weapons. However the Dream Catcher does not respond to the Wand Stance Card either.

IGN: Giegue
Server: Mari

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Maybe because Dream Catcher is actually not a Blunt Weapon??? It's just an item for transformation...
  • LadameLadame
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,600
    I think it counts as a blunt weapon. I mean. You hit stuff with the blunt end to collect transformations. :0 Either that or it should count as a wand, for that animation. One of them should apply, that's for sure!
    Giegue
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited August 25, 2018
    Ladame wrote: »
    I think it counts as a blunt weapon. I mean. You hit stuff with the blunt end to collect transformations. :0 Either that or it should count as a wand, for that animation. One of them should apply, that's for sure!

Really want too see a person using Dream Catcher as a weapon to hit stuff in real life.
    Yet again this is Mabinogi so we even use Pom poms, umbrellas, dolls and such in our combat lol.
  • GiegueGiegue
    Greta wrote: »
    Maybe because Dream Catcher is actually not a Blunt Weapon??? It's just an item for transformation...

Dream Catchers are a Blunt Weapon and gain perks from Blunt Mastery as well as the Ability to inflict the Blunt-Type Smash Debuff. As they are not "True Weapons" they cannot use Rage Impact/Bash, however neither can Umbrellas and Egg Bags, and as you can see in the video those other weapons triggered the stance, which is why I showed them.
    It seems silly that items such as bags and umbrellas trigger the stance, but an actual weapon does not work.

I regularly use a Dream Catcher in easier combat as I am quite fond of the gimmicky play style, so I'm a little gutted that it doesn't work.
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    I think this is just because Dream Catchers are in an... awkward position. This is because I believe Dream Catchers are considered both Blunt Weapons and Wands, since they benefit from Blunt Mastery but also gain the splash range bonuses that Wands receive. So IMO Dream Catchers exist as a hybrid Blunt Wand of sorts, so that's probably why Dream Catchers aren't able to utilize the animations. If anything, Dream Catchers might trigger the alternate wand animations, so I suppose that's something to test.

By the way, I've never been able to trigger the stunning effect from Smash with Dream Catchers, unless the Beginner variant isn't able to trigger the effect... for some reason.
  • GiegueGiegue
    edited August 26, 2018
    As stated in the original post, I already tested it with both Wand stance and Blunt stance. No dice. :(

Dream Catcher's arent wands cuz they gain no magic weapon perks. I can't run while meditating, I can't cast blaze, etc. It's just their animations. It would be like saying the Krutta Broadsword is a Blunt weapon because it uses Blunt animations-- ACTUALLY Im going to go test that real quick.

Edit: No, the Krutta Broadsword, despite using one handed blunt weapon animations, is still a sword and isn't affected by the one handed blunt weapon card, which is expected.

So why is the Dream Catcher such an exception, this can't be intentional;;
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    edited August 26, 2018
    Maybe Dream Catchers are missing the appropriate tags, then? This is assuming that stance cards are dependent on tags to function (e.g., a Wand needing a Wand tag to work with the Wand Stance Card). In fact, that could be why using Weapon Appearance Scrolls can break the Stance Cards, if using Weapon Appearance Scrolls can cause a weapon to lose the associated tag.

It would certainly explain why the Krutta Broadsword wouldn't be effected by the One-Handed Blunt Weapon Stance Card, since despite the animations the Krutta Broadsword is tagged as a two-handed sword, not a one-handed blunt weapon. Going by that logic, it would suggest that a Dream Catcher would need a Dream Catcher Stance Card, not a Blunt Weapon or Wand Stance Card. Don't know if one exists, however.
  • GiegueGiegue
    Dream Catchers aren't their own weapon type as far as I can tell, they're legitimately One-handed blunt weapons in every way but with the ability to use a specific skill, which is no different to say, holding an Ego weapon (For Spirit Awakening) or an item with a special action. (Eg. Umbrella open)
    I am certain this is a bug or oversight.

This forum post also highlights that it seems certain weapon appearance scrolls are causing issues too, so it's likely a select group of older "non-true" weapons that dont fit into a large category.
  • RetaliaRetalia
    Mabinogi Rep: 615
    edited August 27, 2018
    What happens: Stance does not change when using the Twin Blunt Stance Card with double Nail Bats.
    What should happen: The Stance should change as they are both Blunt weapons.
    How to recreate: On a giant, activate the Twin Blunt Stance Card and equip two Nail Bats.