Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Age difference of Mabinogi

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Gaea wrote: »
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Maybe a gm could do a month long wide server poll for this ?
    Maybe age group and how long people comfortable playing each day ?

I have a feeling the way they deliver the game are not reaching their intended audience.

As for this thread poll, can confirm 95% people that i have met were adult. They are either gay, have some kind of mental or behavioral disorder, addicted to some form of drug, in or come from dysfunctional family, failure in a society, scammer, normal college student, minimum wage worker, or asian.
    Which is pretty awesome convo partner.

I was gonna say you're wrong on that, but...
    latest?cb=20160703014737
    ...you're right. Why does this game appeal to us? Sigh...

Is this the answer?
    chuunibyou
    giphy.gif
  • SerenitySerenity
    Mabinogi Rep: 320
    The game is over 10 years old now. All the teens grew up with it and are now adults. New teens have other options.
    ImaizumiJayy124
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Gaea wrote: »
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Maybe a gm could do a month long wide server poll for this ?
    Maybe age group and how long people comfortable playing each day ?

I have a feeling the way they deliver the game are not reaching their intended audience.

As for this thread poll, can confirm 95% people that i have met were adult. They are either gay, have some kind of mental or behavioral disorder, addicted to some form of drug, in or come from dysfunctional family, failure in a society, scammer, normal college student, minimum wage worker, or asian.
    Which is pretty awesome convo partner.

I was gonna say you're wrong on that, but...
    latest?cb=20160703014737
    ...you're right. Why does this game appeal to us? Sigh...

Is this the answer?
    chuunibyou
    giphy.gif

chuunibyou mabinogi crossover now please.
    Kensamaofmari
  • JiantoJianto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,105
    I'm 30, this game doesn't appeal to the newer generation with its graphics and old skool combat in my opinion
    Jianto wrote: »
    I'm 30, this game doesn't appeal to the newer generation with its graphics and old skool combat in my opinion

This game was designed for the last of the 20th Century people?
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    I plead the 5th ... but I must say ... lol remind... ... :trollface:

The Terms of Service require all users to be 18 years of age to play the game without parental permission,

and at least 13 years of age to play with parental permission. :smirk:

I went on the disney website without parental permission.
    [Deleted User]ImaizumiKensamaofmariMaiaJayy124Sherri
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    For once I didn't feel like reading through the thread, since I discuss this enough in my History of Games class.

As it stands, there's a general lack of advertising for this game, and I feel like a lot of players at this point are 'lifers', and seeing as how the game is 14 years old in NA and the target audience seems to be young adults.....
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    For once I didn't feel like reading through the thread, since I discuss this enough in my History of Games class.

As it stands, there's a general lack of advertising for this game, and I feel like a lot of players at this point are 'lifers', and seeing as how the game is 14 years old in NA and the target audience seems to be young adults.....

I've "quit for good" about 7 times now so I'm just gonna stick around until the servers catch fire or I die. Which ever happens first.
    KensamaofmariCrimsọnJayy124BronzebreakRadiant DawnSherri
    Hellkaizer wrote: »

I've "quit for good" about 7 times now so I'm just gonna stick around until the servers catch fire or I die. Which ever happens first.

So you'll be around even if the sky catches on fire and your nose falls off.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited September 7, 2018
    There are some under 18 votes in the poll. If you're one of those people, how did you find mabi and what do you like about it?
    Imaizumi
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Hellkaizer wrote: »

I think everyone over the age of 30 is hoping for one or the other at this point. XD
  • IrvynIrvyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 650
    edited September 8, 2018
    I'm 21 and started playing last year.

OFF-TOPIC:

There are lot of interesting comments about Mabi's appeal to the current era of gamers that I'd like to give my two-cents on, as someone who has worked in the gaming industry for tiny bit.

Firstly, I agree with everyone that Mabi does not appeal the majority of gamers, as the average Mabi player probably won't stumble upon another fan at their school or workplace by chance. And it does indeed possess a somewhat inactive YouTube community (I know of Bobo) and barely an active Twitch viewer-base. However, I don't believe it's because the current era of gamers are simply fixed to Fortnite and FPS and all that. If we're going by publicity, viewers, communities and sales, then narrative driven, action adventure single-player games are actually the current trend. Soulsborne, for example, while not a traditional SP experience--but also not a traditional MP one either, is the epitome of fighting against the norm, and they are some of the most popular and influential video games. God of War 2018, as of recent, has taken the industry by storm, selling an abnormal amount that even Activision, EA, and Ubisoft are salivating. Additionally, naive and impressionable gamers around the age of 16 and younger are the minority, so I wouldn't refer to them as the consumers of the current era of video games.

Anywho, MMOs are still quite a popular genre (e.g. FFXIV, GW2, TESO, and WoW are humongous adversaries) and while Mabi isn't technically a JRPG, I do think its nicheness sort of strike that range and appeal and I don't think many would disagree with that statement. So I don't believe Mabi, for what it features, is really that unappealing of a game. JPRGs are a huge thing, the very recent Dragon Quest XI is killing it critically, and even games of fewer graphical prowess like Octopath Traveler and Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate are kicking ass and taking names.

But to the point, I don't think Mabi is failing financially, and its playerbase seems rather reasonable (although, I may argue it's stretched a little thin with all of its servers) so I believe it's a matter of understanding that Mabi is a game that needs many improvement to better compete. Granted, I'm new so I haven't experienced the Dark Ages, but I have personally been enjoying Mabi a whole lot since I have started. That said, there are A LOT of problems with the game that can reasonably turn players off; its strange and inconsistent hitboxes, a plethora of strange and confusing designs that requires everyone to use the fan-run wiki often, its inconsistent and not-so-well-written narrative/story, and its questionable performance and optimization for a game that lacks so much in graphical and visual direction.

Tl;dr, I think Mabi's playerbase is pretty reasonable with its quality, and while the game could use more marketing, I believe Nexon have realized that it may not be worth. Crossovers seem to be their main marketing strategy and I think they are pretty indicative of how far this game's appeal and quality, as it currently is, can reach.
    KensamaofmariJayy124
  • FlameStrikerFlameStriker
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Just came back from a several-ish year break and I plan on restarting Mabi soon and i will be 22 in 3 weeks while I started this game when i was 11.

Besides Mabi's graphics being old and the game being even older and the obvious lack of advertisement.

The big reason why Mabi is only popular with older people in my view is simply because MMO's aren't that popular anymore.
    The MMO genre is stagnating and has been stagnating for years now and everything has been trying for the kids with simply just nicer graphics, the ability to solo everything and try and feel like a boss and the same ol same ol without anything that isn't old.
    meanwhile games like Fortnite and Overwatch are fun and fast and are very streamable with a constant stream of content

while the general sterotype of an MMO is heavily storybased(with an overused boring storyline), grindy and amounts to a Solo rush to endgame creating a revolving door in and out type deal.

Mabinogi sorta fell into that pithole of a general mmo as well by trying to grab newer people with the solo and loosing the entire fantasy life feel and becoming a fantasy grind and afk simulator.
    like that other post in here saying the type of people they meet in mabi, the type of people who came for mabi are people who are looking for that blissful lie of a whole fantasy world where you can be and do whatever you want thats what kept me in mabi for years during all the tough times in my life
    Mabinogi was so fun back then that a fishing event was probably one of the most fun events that me and my friends always participated in simply because we just sit back and chat about random stuff on the boat with a bunch of other people most aren't even afk

the social connection might be another reason why younger people aren't into mmo's these days either
    in most MMO's that have come out in the past decade nobody has any reason whatsoever to talk to anyone you try and initiate a conversation and most people will straight up ignore you so they can finish their quest list to rush to endgame.

for mabi in its hayday yea it was soloable but it was difficult to solo when you are starting even if you are a veteran a simple random goblin could still two shot you, so everyone ended up talking to others for help and it was easy to talk to other because even if you didn't talk someone was gonna come up to you anyways. part of why I left mabi was the recent gens where everything has advanced heavy stander 3 and its become a thing of smashing the hardest to finish your content and everyone can smash hard now

Part of who I am today and my ability to communicate came as a result of me playing mabinogi since when I started out I was bullied and didn't like talking, expressing anything besides silence,etc and now I'm different partly due to the social experience I had online

anyways TL;DR MMO's as they are really don't work for young people and Mabinogi lost what was advertised(the fantasy life for the social recluses,outcasts,the socially inept, stressed out peeps and busy students) Meme-able, stream-able stuff is whats popular now
    mabi's graphics is old and mabi isn't as advertised