Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Magic projectiles?

NaiiNaii
Mabinogi Rep: 710
in Help
This is a little embarassing, as I'm a fairly new player returning to my account. I plan to be a cleric, but I also went to the magic school to learn elemental magic so I can defend myself. However, the teacher never really bothered to tell me exactly how to 'shoot' the elements from a staff or my hands. I tried every button and nothing works. Is the magic class supposed to be melee? Because all my character does is punch everything.

Comments

• IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    edited September 8, 2018
    All three of the bolt spells (Icebolt, Firebolt, and Lightning Bolt) need to be charged first; each bolt can be charged up to five times. To do this, you must first use the Icebolt, Firebolt, or Lightning Bolt skills; this is done by either using the skill in the Skills window (bound to "Z" by default) or more preferably clicking the skill icons in the Skills menu and dragging the skills to the hotbar in the upper left corner of the screen, which from there will allow you to quickly access the skill by pressing a hotkey, through "F1" to "F12" and through numbers "1" to "9" followed by "0", "-" and "=".

When you successfully charge a bolt, you will consume MP and, after fully charged, the respective bolt should appear floating around your character or your magical weapon of choice (unless you have Mini Effects turned on) and the skill's icon should begin floating over your character's head. Afterwards, attacking an enemy will cause you to expend that bolt, dealing magic damage to that enemy. You should also notice the attacking cursor change from a sword to a magic wand, indicating that your next attack will consume a charged magical attack.

There are other magical spells in the game that follow different mechanics (and require specific magical weapons), but this should be enough to get you started.

As an additional piece of advice, assuming you started in the Cleric talent hang on to your Beginner Healing Wand. Magic Weapon repairs aren't cheap and all Beginner weapons enjoy a 1G repair fee, even at 100% Repair Rate. Just bear in mind that all Beginner weapons cannot receive Special Upgrades.
    NaiiFluoretteBronzebreak
  • NaiiNaii
    Thank you. ^^'However, I think there might be a glitch in my game then. Even when I'm using magic weapons, the cursor doesn't turn into a wand. I'll have to experiment a bit. Dunno if this is any helpful info, but I've only been practicing on the practice dummies at the magic school. Does it have to be a living creature? (My healing skills work on me and the marker changes into a magic wand. I haven't tested it on another person.)
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    edited September 8, 2018
    Naii wrote: »
    Thank you. ^^'However, I think there might be a glitch in my game then. Even when I'm using magic weapons, the cursor doesn't turn into a wand. I'll have to experiment a bit. Dunno if this is any helpful info, but I've only been practicing on the practice dummies at the magic school. Does it have to be a living creature? (My healing skills work on me and the marker changes into a magic wand. I haven't tested it on another person.)

Yes, it has to be a living creature; props like street lights and the dummies in the Tir Chonaill/Dunbarton schools can only be hit with melee attacks. The brown foxes on the road to Alby Dungeon and the White Spiders in the Tir Chonaill Graveyard are good beginner targets to practice with.

As far as Healing goes, Healing will also work on other players; just note that Healing will typically not heal black (Wound) damage unless with specific titles equipped. You'll want to learn First Aid and use that skill to heal Wound damage. Note that First Aid requires Bandages to use. Also bear in mind that using Healing on yourself will also require and consume Stamina; this will only happen if Healing cast on yourself restores any missing HP.
    NaiiFluorette
  • NaiiNaii
    Okay, it's working now. Thank you so much! ^^
  • ArinallasArinallas
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone knows where to find "Wine Vinegar" for Lucas' resting quest. I haven't ranked cooking very high yet, and was curious if it was something you had to make yourself.