Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Don't help if you don't want to.

QirieQirie
Mabinogi Rep: 320
edited December 19, 2018 in General Chat

emoji_zpsddfftkgx.jpg

I want to say thanks to the people that give me advice ^_^
Yes I came from a different country and learn English.

Comments

• HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Qirie wrote: »
    There should be a channel for new players, and people that are willing to help new players instead of people that want to talk negative about how you play in the game. will no duh where newbie for a reason.

I don't want to sound like a hater or anything but SOME PEOPLE have a lot in there butt just cause they got cool stuff to show off.
    but some people just want to play with other people and in joy the game.
    So when they get a request up please don't take it if you got nothing to nice to say or if your not there to help at all.

I very rarely see people hating on actual new/newish players. The people that are responded to negatively usually go around as if what they're saying is best/fact/truth when it's not. Like people arguing that total level doesn't matter, when in truth it matters a whole hell of a lot so to tell a new player "total level doesn't matter" is entirely wrong. Saying something like "Total level is really important, but don't focus on it now and let it grow passively" doesn't lead people astray and prevents false information from being spread.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    The world has all kinds of people, people can be a donkey butt unknowingly. If they intentionally act like a douche about things, it's best to ignore them. If they like to isolate themselves from the community, let them be so. It's best not to escalate things.

So don't encourage actions like (if they ask for help, don't help them) this, because you're taking the same action that they did to others.
    TwelieGretapawcalypse
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    What server are you on?
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    @Qirie

If your on Tarlach server you can feel free to add me (IGN Ktty). I'm always willing to help out new players. If your on a different server just post your server and IGN and I'm sure you will find many players willing to help you out.

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    I very rarely see people hating on actual new/newish players.

There is some, well of course there is; this is internet after all, but you are right, I think the supportive comments are in the majority. I've also noticed a sharp decline in "post and boasts" where someone responds by saying how awesome they are and maybe actually answering the question as well.

Helsa wrote: »
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    I very rarely see people hating on actual new/newish players.

There is some, well of course there is; this is internet after all, but you are right, I think the supportive comments are in the majority. I've also noticed a sharp decline in "post and boasts" where someone responds by saying how awesome they are and maybe actually answering the question as well.

Although rare in Mabi, some donkey butts or bullies find newbies easy targets.
    pawcalypseQirie
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    It's not really rare. Most people.....like patrons in various area's...will just leave and not come back if they don't like it. So we won't really hear too much of it. It happens more often than not in every server. I really wish this wasn't so, but I still see it quite often. Much like the dark side of the game that most ppl don't see.....still exists which is pretty toxic to the community.

All I have to say is to not let anyone keep you down and hope you find the better players in the community. It's just hard to differentiate between a player who is making a new character and an experienced player/veteran who is making a new character to take advantage of other players.

It is also hard for new players as the older players are using them for various things such as gathering materials to rank their own skills or bringing them on runs telling them that the treasure key is theirs and not the new player as they are looking for X item. The list goes on. Think the worst was not helping a beginner unless they joined their guild.
    pawcalypseKensamaofmarioffwithyourheadsAlshianQirienajee508
  • RoytonRoyton
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    I wish I had the ability to edit OPs post.
    Those errors, all those spelling errors..
    Royton wrote: »

Remember, not everyone here learned English as their first language. We have a lot of friends from overseas where English is not their first language.
    KrissyPootelQirie
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425

Remember, not everyone here learned English as their first language. We have a lot of friends from overseas where English is not their first language.

Some people also just do not know how to write or compose a legible, sensible post. I met adults that are either American, on a denizen of a country whose predominant language is English, who somehow believe their English is something close to adequate. At the very least, I make sure to preface my attempts at speaking other languages with the line "I am not a native speaker".

My main source of contention though, is how juvenile the post is, in terms of the topic. Hey, the sky is also blue! This isn't a topic that needs to be stated, nor be taken as some sort of vile surprise. There are always individuals like those the OP mentioned. Not just in Mabinogi, but in the general areas of life. While not a common occurence, let's not take the first person to say mean things of us as a sign there is a burgeoning "issue" in regards to Mabinogi, and more as a fact of life.

TL;DR: English is horrible, but complaining about people being people just because one person was sort of a jerk to you is horribly myopic, an exaggeration, and a complete waste of time.
    Greta

Some people also just do not know how to write or compose a legible, sensible post. I met adults that are either American, on a denizen of a country whose predominant language is English, who somehow believe their English is something close to adequate. At the very least, I make sure to preface my attempts at speaking other languages with the line "I am not a native speaker".

My main source of contention though, is how juvenile the post is, in terms of the topic. Hey, the sky is also blue! This isn't a topic that needs to be stated, nor be taken as some sort of vile surprise. There are always individuals like those the OP mentioned. Not just in Mabinogi, but in the general areas of life. While not a common occurence, let's not take the first person to say mean things of us as a sign there is a burgeoning "issue" in regards to Mabinogi, and more as a fact of life.

TL;DR: English is horrible, but complaining about people being people just because one person was sort of a jerk to you is horribly myopic, an exaggeration, and a complete waste of time.

Well, there are also English people who can't speak English, but that could be a separate discussion.
    My point was to illustrate that not all people are natural English speakers and we should be considerate if they aren't.
    As for those who are English speakers but have trouble compiling legible, sensible writing; I don't know if the individual is to blame or the education system. Maybe, some of everything.

We really can't tell if one is a natural born English speaker/writer or not though.
  • QirieQirie
    Mabinogi Rep: 320

o3o Yeah I wasn't born here in america, I came in from my country and learn English -.-
    what error did I make? Also I want to thank everyone that give me guidance about the game.

o3o Yeah I wasn't born here in america, I came in from my country and learn English -.-
    what error did I make? Also I want to thank everyone that give me guidance about the game.

Nothing major, not that I can remember. But a few spelling mistakes and wrong grammar usage.
    Since you edited your original post, we may not remember. :)
    Maybe, someone will point out the errors on future posts.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    emoji_zpsddfftkgx.jpg

Late to the party. Wut r U ranting initially about? Unless the OG context was learning english or sumthing which the majority of post seem 2 be about... o-o
    Rhey wrote: »
    emoji_zpsddfftkgx.jpg

Late to the party. Wut r U ranting initially about? Unless the OG context was learning english or sumthing which the majority of post seem 2 be about... o-o

It was mostly about some players making fun of new players, something of the sort.
    The original post was edited.
    edited December 25, 2018
    The double negative is painful.

@Qirie Replace Either replace "Nothing" with "Anything", or take out "Don't". Having both "Don't" and "Nothing" is unnecessary, and means the opposite of what I believe you are trying to convey. They cancel each other out, leading "Don't say nothing at all" to mean "Say something" or "Say Anything".

I do urge you to preface your topics in case you are unsure if what you are saying is legible. It will help you be taken more seriously as just someone not well acquainted in English as a native or fluent speaker, and not written off as some uneducated troll.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    edited December 25, 2018
    Thumper: If you can't say somethin' nice [pauses, for drama and because both Thumper and the actor who played him couldn't remember his line], don't say nothin' at all.

https://simple.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bambi
    Thumper: If you can't say somethin' nice [pauses, for drama and because both Thumper and the actor who played him couldn't remember his line], don't say nothin' at all.

https://simple.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bambi

I see. My mistake.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    I WAS WONDERING WHY THUMPER WAS IN OP'S PIC.
    Blissfulkill