Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Fossil Restoration

MusicatMusicat
Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
edited January 29, 2019 in Help
Hello everybody!
I've found a 2017's discussion on this topic, but I guess it's closed, so I'm making a new one (also since that discussion's info didn't help me).
I suppose that they've changed something in it, but I'm not sure, so I'd like to know.
Firstly, how must a delicately restored fossil look inside the mini-game? I tried to do my best and had as few dirt as there could be and no red areas in the end, but the best result I've received so far is "nice to look at, but it needs some work". I think my performance was the same or most close to that of @Tsumuku in his video, but I never got anything better, while he had "is really nice" there. Even when I had red scratches the result was "...needs some work". On the other hand, when I had better performance, I even got a worse result "isn't looking good". So, no matter how hard I try, the result seems to depend mostly on luck. Secondly, they said that you may change channels during the mini-game to preserve the fossil if you make a mistake (and it's also said on the wiki), but when I tried (once after loads of fair attempts) this method, restoration failed at once. Thus, we get the fossil damaged (lose it, in fact) if we change channels during its restoration.
Well, is there any decent advice that might help me (apart from cleaning methods, such as "large-medium-small" or "from centre to edge")? I really want to do Generation 8, because it's a part of the story, after all, and I like its plot, but I don't know how to get past this quest.

Comments

• TolnaTolna
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    edited January 29, 2019
    Generally you want to aim for NO red, at all. Even a pixel of red counts severely against you. It’s a good reason to try to stick to Fangs Beaks, and Femures although Skulls can be easy too with practice.

There’s two main methods. Using a mid-large brush and dotting around the entire object “tapping” the edges of each circle you make to go all around the object, then whiping up the major area of dirt, then detailing while there is still time. And carefully tracing the object quickly leaving a sorta safety layer of dirt and whipe up the remainder, then just slowly detail away.

It’s worth noting Pelvis’s have dirt patches inside the actual pic itself, making them tricky. Skulls have an almost perfect shape to put a large and medium click/circle in near the front teeth and cheeks as well, but the head itself may trip you up.

If you have a pen tablet like a Wacom or Stylus you can use that to help, another thing is to turn mouse semsitivity way down.

All in all don’t risk touching the sides, dirt actually doesn’t hurt your score that much. You don’t need a perfect fossile, in fact all you really get is a title for that. So focus more on taking your time with it. On the bright side all fossils that dont turn out right are still exp and cash so its not a total waste! Also if it’s raining in Zardine mine the Flint instead (big glowing lava rocks) they have a slightly higher fossil drop rate I found. Good luck!
    Musicat
  • MusicatMusicat
    edited January 30, 2019
    Tolna wrote: »
    for NO red, at all.
    It was in my description. No red, very few dirt, bad results.
    There’s two main methods.
    That's something I'd like to avoid =) I mean, it's true, but also easy enough for me to understand. But
    dotting around the entire object “tapping”
    that already takes the whole minute for me (with any mouse sensitivity settings).
    If you have a pen tablet like a Wacom or Stylus you can use that to help,
    That's really a nice and helpful idea. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity these days.
    Thank you for reacting, really! That was detailed enough for all people who may be looking for information on restoration.
    Anyway, I have nothing to do but try again and again, with this knowledge as well.

Any further nuanced advice will be appreciated.
  • MusicatMusicat
    Uh, so, I just got a "looks really nice" fossil while having made some red scratches in the mini-game...
    Therefore, I suggest this topic to those who need the basic info and technique hints on fossil restoration.
    And we may further mumble over the real mechanics of this, if there are any other ideas on how this is done.