Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[Announcement] Server Merge & FAQ

Comments

• PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    edited May 9, 2019
    This server merge sucks. Your game is going to die even more.
    Greta
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    edited May 9, 2019
    Heres to hoping they bump the channels up to 14~20 per server so gathering doesn't become impossible.

And to all the Ruairi and Mari folks; Welcome to Tarlach, I hope you enjoy all our very important and very special princesses and revel in our server wide highschool girl drama. For those of you who don't stay in dunbarton and belvast all day, maybe I'll catch a glimpse of you at moku, girg, or the tech duinn and rabbie lobbies :)
  • AkkedoAkkedo
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,120
    Aizyr wrote: »
    Soo I'm not sure if this can be answered as of yet and hopefully this makes sense, but say we have a character of the same name on two different servers: "Aizyr". With the merge the two characters will now be Aizyr-Ruairi and Aizyr-Mari rather than just "Aizyr". Once the name changes come out can we just remove the +Mari on one since the other's name would technically now be "Aizyr+Ruairi" not the original "Aizyr"? Basically, can one of the new name owners claim their original name once the name changes come out or is that name lost forever?

Asking because my 12 year old self made another account with the same name on a different server back in like 08 and I have no idea what the info is to delete it. :u

This should answer your questions.

Q: Will my character name be changed during the merge? What happens if there are multiple characters with the same name?
    A: Characters (pets, partners, characters) with duplicate names will have their name changed to 'Name+Server', e.g. Name+Mari, Name+Ruairi, Name+Tarlach.

- A duplicate name can be a pet, partner, or character name, across these three servers.
    e.g. If a pet is named 'Potato' on one server, and a character is named 'Potato' on another server, both names will be changed.

-However, if there are no duplicate character names, the character name will remain unaffected.

Q: Will I be able to change my character name?
    A: We are working on bringing the name change option for character names after the merge. More information on this option will be provided in a future update.

Q: What happens if an account is inactive during the merge?
    A: All accounts will be merged. However, pet names on inactive accounts will be renamed.

- An account is considered inactive if it has not logged in since June 3rd, 2017.
    - The pet names will be changed to a sequence of numbers such as, Pet000000 ... Pet123456.

No, I read that, unless I'm just completely overlooking something. My question is that since the original name would be changed to have the server name in it, would it be possible to change it back to what it originally was since technically no one would have the original name. Example: My new names are Aizyr+Mari and Aizyr+Ruairi (on the lost account). Since they changed both names from Aizyr to Aizyr+server, then technically no one would have the original name.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Lutetium wrote: »
    Welcome to Tarlach, I hope you enjoy all our very important and very special princesses and revel in our server wide highschool girl drama.

That sounds like the stuff of nightmares o.o'''

I hope they do work things out for you guys though - you mentioned gathering, and I abruptly had flashbacks to back when I tried to gather gold mushrooms -.-''
    Starthepurple1FOXAssassin
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Soo I'm not sure if this can be answered as of yet and hopefully this makes sense, but say we have a character of the same name on two different servers: "Aizyr". With the merge the two characters will now be Aizyr-Ruairi and Aizyr-Mari rather than just "Aizyr". Once the name changes come out can we just remove the +Mari on one since the other's name would technically now be "Aizyr+Ruairi" not the original "Aizyr"? Basically, can one of the new name owners claim their original name once the name changes come out or is that name lost forever?

Asking because my 12 year old self made another account with the same name on a different server back in like 08 and I have no idea what the info is to delete it. :u

Q: Will my character name be changed during the merge? What happens if there are multiple characters with the same name?
    A: Characters (pets, partners, characters) with duplicate names will have their name changed to 'Name+Server', e.g. Name+Mari, Name+Ruairi, Name+Tarlach.

- A duplicate name can be a pet, partner, or character name, across these three servers.
    e.g. If a pet is named 'Potato' on one server, and a character is named 'Potato' on another server, both names will be changed.

-However, if there are no duplicate character names, the character name will remain unaffected.

A: We are working on bringing the name change option for character names after the merge. More information on this option will be provided in a future update.

A: All accounts will be merged. However, pet names on inactive accounts will be renamed.

- An account is considered inactive if it has not logged in since June 3rd, 2017.
    - The pet names will be changed to a sequence of numbers such as, Pet000000 ... Pet123456.

No, I read that, unless I'm just completely overlooking something. My question is that since the original name would be changed to have the server name in it, would it be possible to change it back to what it originally was since technically no one would have the original name. Example: My new names are Aizyr+Mari and Aizyr+Ruairi (on the lost account). Since they changed both names from Aizyr to Aizyr+server, then technically no one would have the original name.

When was the last time you were on the lost account? Is it still part of active or inactive? They won't remove the lost account that's for sure and the server would just be a tag next to your name. So there would be 2 Aizyrs from 2 servers unless you find a way to have the other deactivated.
  • MierinMierin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,085
    edited May 9, 2019
    Another comment to say that Alexina should join the merge as well.
    Zeo
  • AkkedoAkkedo

When was the last time you were on the lost account? Is it still part of active or inactive? They won't remove the lost account that's for sure and the server would just be a tag next to your name. So there would be 2 Aizyrs from 2 servers unless you find a way to have the other deactivated.

I thought that was for pet name only, but I have had a few people say that so I'm not sure. I haven't been on the account in at least 10 years, so hopefully that's the case.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited May 9, 2019
    If they intend to eventually go to a full merge then they'd better do so BEFORE they implement the name change service. If they do so then all the same names can be fixed as part of the final merge. So for example buttmunch55+Tarlach and buttmunch55+Ruari can be put back to buttmunch55 each. But if you implement the name change option first then someone can claim the pure name buttmunch55 and then there's nothing that can be done.

The reason this partial merge is a big problem is that each character's server of residence field will be read then using that data the character name can be altered with the +server appended. But since two servers will remain, Nao and Alexina, the server of residence field has to be retained so the log-in server can shunt the session to the correct server. That means for Tarlach/Ruari/Mari folks their server of residence field will be overwritten with Nao. Other than their name, there will be no way to tell where they came from. If the name gets changed that data is lost.

If they decide to complete the merge they can re-fill the server of residence field with their old server name, as long as the names are retained. Since with a full merge there is only one server, the server of residence field is no longer need as part of the log-in servers job since the one server name can be hardcoded directly into the log-in servers session marshalling code. With the server of residence field retaining the old server names, you can have duplicate names since the server of residence field will be unique in each duplicate.

Nexon went with a partial merge because they thought it was the "safest" thing to do, but a partial merge is a much messier affair than a full merge. They should have recognized this before they proceed. It would be better if they announced that they will perform a full merge in order to make the action cleaner, and that part of their reconsideration they will need to put back a merge date to a later time in order to ensure it is done right.
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    I cannot wait for all the issues.

Cause it's gonna happen.
    People are gonna be losing their items left and right.
    FOXAssassin
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

I thought that was for pet name only, but I have had a few people say that so I'm not sure. I haven't been on the account in at least 10 years, so hopefully that's the case.

Oof, 10 years. I would submit a ticket to see if they could deactivate that account, if you really want to remove it. But they're gonna need proof that you are the owner of that account. Which is a problem when people lose their email and passwords over the years.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited May 22, 2019
    Oh boy they are gonna make a huge profit from name change coupons. 9dnGeIh.png

They should really consider giving at least one name change coupon per account for player's mains. I don't want to stay as Gaea+Ruairi and be forced to shell out money for a coupon that is more than likely going to be more expensive for this region. (Just like they did with other things this past year).

:|

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
    FOXAssassin
  • AkkedoAkkedo

Oof, 10 years. I would submit a ticket to see if they could deactivate that account, if you really want to remove it. But they're gonna need proof that you are the owner of that account. Which is a problem when people lose their email and passwords over the years.

Oh yeah, sadly I don't even have the slightest clue about the email or the password so I'll probably just have to live with it.

I feel like I wouldn't mind it as much if it was in brackets or in a smaller font beside the name. +Server is going to be a bit weird to look at for me. Also, marriage titles will be interesting. It'll look like you're married to the person + the npc haha.
  • roastedpigroastedpig
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,040
    I didn't read anything about the dressing room... do we need to get all our clothes out of there or what...? (god, i hope not)
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 9, 2019
    roastedpig wrote: »
    I didn't read anything about the dressing room... do we need to get all our clothes out of there or what...? (god, i hope not)

I asked about that during the broadcast, they didn't really know the answer. The issue will be with same items on the same account but in the dressing rooms of different servers. You would need to remove any extra ones and place them on a pet say. A single copy can remain as long as there is no duplicate.

Because its only a partial merge its a sloppy mess: the name change solution for duplicates is a messy kludge and during the broadcast there were a number of things mentioned that WE would have to do ahead of time. Making US work is a sloppy way to fix up a solution.

Personally I'd accept a delay in a merge implementation if it could be a complete merge and done correctly.
    roastedpigAkkedoFOXAssassin
  • roastedpigroastedpig
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,040
    edited May 9, 2019
    Oh, I see. Thanks! That's a relief ...somewhat. (The lack of anything about it in the official announcement is still most worrying \(_ _\) )
    Helsa wrote: »
    Personally I'd accept a delay in a merge implementation if it could be a complete merge and done correctly.

Also, yeah this. They waited a decade for the merge. They could wait a tad bit more to iron out any problems.
    FOXAssassin
  • HelsaHelsa
    roastedpig wrote: »
    Also, yeah this. They waited a decade for the merge. They could wait a tad bit more to iron out any problems.

The biggest problem is that it is NOT a full merge. Please understand, I don't mean this just from an Alexina-whiner point of view (although I admit I'm not happy about it being limited), but from a technical point of view. A partial merge means that the server of residence field in every character record remains in use by the log-in server. This leads to many of the problems this merge will have. It also limits their ability to solve other problems with a merge. With a full merge, that field is freed to retain the original servers folks were on, since the log-in server only has to shunt sessions to one server, it's name can be hard coded. In fact with only one server it doesn't even need a name! With that field free to retain the old server names, it also allows the creation of new code to deal with issues, much more easily.
    YoridenFOXAssassin
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    edited May 9, 2019
    Thanks Helsa, you're right. Thanks to Nexon's brilliant team for allowing me the opportunity to get some new IGNs that I have been eyeing on for a while. Think I am going to go steal and have fun impersonating some players.

Wonder who I should go for....I know some people with duplicated names on all four servers.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Pan wrote: »
    Thanks Helsa, you're right. Thanks to Nexon's brilliant team for allowing me the opportunity to get some new IGNs that I have been eyeing on for a while. Think I am going to go steal and have fun impersonating some players.

Wonder who I should go for....I know some people with duplicated names on all four servers.

Oh man I didn't think of that! You don't need name change to wreck things, just make a new account and troll names. This partial merge is a really BAD idea. It has to be a full merge, then duplicate names can exist.
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Another comment here joining in to say that it’s one of the biggest mistakes to not include Alexina in the merge as well.

A game like Mabinogi would benefit from having one big server but now that we will get two, one server will end up dying out like usual, lol.
    NegumikoPanGretaKitiniFOXAssassin
  • HelsaHelsa
    Zeo wrote: »
    Another comment here joining in to say that it’s one of the biggest mistakes to not include Alexina in the merge as well.

A game like Mabinogi would benefit from having one big server but now that we will get two, one server will end up dying out like usual, lol.

It might be Nao, since Alexina will be spared any of the issues that Nexon didn't have the foresight to address properly.
    FOXAssassin