[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[Announcement] Server Merge & FAQ

Comments

  • FalaflameFalaflame
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    Posts: 36
    Member
    edited May 10
    OdinM wrote: »
    On top of that, the skill trees are horribly unbalanced. In ye olde days, circa G3-G8 when I really enjoyed the game, you could build your character the way you wanted to, and you'd still end up with about the same DPS as all your friends. Like so your levels only really mattered for survivability in the dungeons, a level 130 who had only rebirthed twice could go play with their level 2000 friends and still be able to deal damage and fight the fomors. This is no longer the case, if you aren't level 15000 with R1 everything in whatever the newest skill tree is, your DPS is hopeless and you are just dragged along as a meatshield and pack mule. The enemies will be too hard for you to kill, and will kill you easily. Now I main an int magic mage, and indeed I still play very much like I did in G13 and G14- the height of my character's power and glory. 1200 int, yet somebody half my level has a bare fist DPS almost 4x that of my fully charged int magic. That's not right Nexon, that needs to be fixed. People want to play the game their way, that's what made Mabinogi so unique all those years ago. You weren't locked into a play style in order to comply with meta. We've got a really bad power creep problem now that has its roots in the Alchemy of G9, but has continued to get worse and worse with every new skill tree added except Bard- which is not an offense focused skill tree.
    Honestly, the Chain Slash skills was that point for me.

    IMO, I wasn't a big fan of the merge idea to begin with, since it solved no problems that a simple Server Transfer wouldn't have done. Honestly, Mabinogi has far bigger problems to worry about than a server merge. Such as, the prospect of being bought out by something like Disney.
    FOXAssassin
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,740
    Posts: 2,552
    Member
    edited May 10
    So what happens to my Server Merge Mega Thread?
    1422935677507.gif

    It should get deleted, since you weren't the one who started it (you just brought it here from the last of two other mabinogi forums, this being the third of those).


    And @Leinei, if you think having a YourName+ServerName attached to the end of your name, or your pets given numerical strings, isn't the lazy way around this, you couldn't be more wrong. They could just as easily hide the server names in the same place a thousand modders hide their combat power values (the alt key highlight also used for transform names). Thankfully, in terms of merge, the majority of money I spent on this game, (enough to buy a modest home), was on the Alexina server.
  • AkkedoAkkedo
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    Posts: 6
    Member
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    So what happens to my Server Merge Mega Thread?
    1422935677507.gif

    It should get deleted, since you weren't the one who started it (you just brought it here from the last of two other mabinogi forums, this being the third of those).


    And @Leinei, if you think having a YourName+ServerName attached to the end of your name, or your pets given numerical strings, isn't the lazy way around this, you couldn't be more wrong. They could just as easily hide the server names in the same place a thousand modders hide their combat power values (the alt key highlight also used for transform names). Thankfully, in terms of merge, the majority of money I spent on this game, (enough to buy a modest home), was on the Alexina server.

    I honestly thought they would do something like you mentioned for the names. Hit the alt key and you could see the server, or a small server indicator beside your name. Not literally a server at the end of your name. I feel like there has to be a better way of doing it than that. It'll definitely be a way to sell the name changes though.
    HardmuscleYoriden
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,740
    Posts: 2,552
    Member
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,910
    Posts: 2,168
    Member
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    So what happens to my Server Merge Mega Thread?
    1422935677507.gif

    It should get deleted, since you weren't the one who started it (you just brought it here from the last of two other mabinogi forums, this being the third of those).


    And @Leinei, if you think having a YourName+ServerName attached to the end of your name, or your pets given numerical strings, isn't the lazy way around this, you couldn't be more wrong. They could just as easily hide the server names in the same place a thousand modders hide their combat power values (the alt key highlight also used for transform names). Thankfully, in terms of merge, the majority of money I spent on this game, (enough to buy a modest home), was on the Alexina server.

    Honestly, so long as it works, I really don't care if it's lazy or not. I'm fine having my server tag after my name.
    DraechVeylaine
  • RedballsRedballs
    Mabinogi Rep: 105
    Post: 1
    Member
    Wow you guys SERIOUSLY left out Alexina? You realize the majority of our servers players are BOTS AND MULTI CLIENT ALTS RIGHT??? I seriously had big hopes for this server merge fixing our low population and you've literally just murdered any hope I had for the future of this game. Stop spending money on this game right now Alexina players because our server is literally going to die.
    Kitini
  • AkarikittyAkarikitty
    Mabinogi Rep: 340
    Posts: 7
    Member
    Looking forward to switching servers for a second time after Ruairi died because of Alexina (and as well as the other two servers). Can't wait for Alexina 2.0!!! xd
  • RoserabbitRoserabbit
    Mabinogi Rep: 215
    Post: 1
    Member
    Oof yea what will happen to the pet invs, the mailboxes, and dressing rooms?
    I have...so many things. So little space. pls.
    AlexLightFOXAssassin
  • TsuzakuTsuzaku
    Mabinogi Rep: 105
    Post: 1
    Member
    Will we have some sort of appeal process for getting our original names back?

    Seems kind of silly that someone will be able to make a new character or pet on June 3rd before the name change option is even brought online, and steal literally any name they want. There's always a lot of drama around this sort of thing with a server merge, but this is just encouraging it.

    Also, why not just merge Alexina as well? Surely the servers can handle it, even if it means more channels need to be added. No offense of course, but the game isn't exactly growing anymore, not like it used to anyways. Having one server NOW rather than later will allow everything to consolidate now instead of going through this entire process a second time should the population drop so much that Nao and Alexina need to be merged.
    Kitini
  • TheItemGuyTheItemGuy
    Post: 1
    Member
    What will happen to my spirit weapon if i get a name change?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,140
    Posts: 1,841
    Member
    Aizyr wrote: »
    I honestly thought they would do something like you mentioned for the names. Hit the alt key and you could see the server, or a small server indicator beside your name. Not literally a server at the end of your name. I feel like there has to be a better way of doing it than that. It'll definitely be a way to sell the name changes though.

    They're trying to accomplish the merge without changing any code in the client. Appending the server name can be accomplished by running a script on the database without having Korea generate any new code. It is a solution but a bad one, even sloppy. In computer-speak this is known as a kludge. Usually kludges generate trips to your boss' office. This is a huge mess and its happening because Nexon didn't have the courage to either reject or embrace a merge entirely.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 27,835
    Posts: 6,103
    Member
    TheItemGuy wrote: »
    What will happen to my spirit weapon if i get a name change?

    Great question.
    FOXAssassinKaiwyth
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,140
    Posts: 1,841
    Member
    TheItemGuy wrote: »
    What will happen to my spirit weapon if i get a name change?

    Great question.

    I think nothing because spirit weapons can have the same name, I think.
    Kensamaofmari
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,910
    Posts: 2,168
    Member
    Another thing that's probably a monkey wrench in the works. Remember how no one can make characters for a month in Ruairi, Tarlach and Mari? If they did that with Alexina too, no one would be able to join the game as a new player. Could mean that Alexina could be added later.

    Furthermore, it might be Nexon KR insisting that NA does things this way.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,140
    Posts: 1,841
    Member
    Leinei wrote: »
    Furthermore, it might be Nexon KR insisting that NA does things this way.

    To a certain extent you're right, since this merge looks like it requires nothing in terms of code added to the client or altering of the database structure. All they are doing is twiddling values in the existing database to create he merge. To be sure, most of the work required is to do just that. But to make the merge, less problematic requires more.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 40,230
    Posts: 5,718
    Member
    It's amusing to see upset people being baited by a troll. If you think logically, Pan will have low chances on doing that since Nexon literally said they will not remove names of active players and duplicated names will be altered to match their past server name (will have name tags with server name next to them).
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,140
    Posts: 1,841
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    It's amusing to see upset people being baited by a troll. If you think logically, Pan will have low chances on doing that since Nexon literally said they will not remove names of active players and duplicated names will be altered to match their past server name (will have name tags with server name next to them).

    No no no, you misunderstand, Sorath gives a very good explanation here.
    FOXAssassin
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 40,230
    Posts: 5,718
    Member
    edited May 10
    Helsa wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    It's amusing to see upset people being baited by a troll. If you think logically, Pan will have low chances on doing that since Nexon literally said they will not remove names of active players and duplicated names will be altered to match their past server name (will have name tags with server name next to them).

    No no no, you misunderstand, Sorath gives a very good explanation here.

    Ohh i see the loophole now. Now this is messed up...
    But still kinda pointless to spend real money to name snipe someone or create multiple accounts just for that. You really need to be pathetic to do that.
    FOXAssassinPlatinaKoki
  • AyamichiiAyamichii
    Mabinogi Rep: 610
    Posts: 4
    Member
    edited May 10
    Greta wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    It's amusing to see upset people being baited by a troll. If you think logically, Pan will have low chances on doing that since Nexon literally said they will not remove names of active players and duplicated names will be altered to match their past server name (will have name tags with server name next to them).

    No no no, you misunderstand, Sorath gives a very good explanation here.

    Ohh i see the loophole now. Now this is messed up...
    But still kinda pointless to spend real money to name snipe someone or create multiple accounts just for that. You really need to be pathetic to do that.

    Don't need to spend any money if you make a new email account.
    FOXAssassin
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 40,230
    Posts: 5,718
    Member
    Ayamichii wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    It's amusing to see upset people being baited by a troll. If you think logically, Pan will have low chances on doing that since Nexon literally said they will not remove names of active players and duplicated names will be altered to match their past server name (will have name tags with server name next to them).

    No no no, you misunderstand, Sorath gives a very good explanation here.

    Ohh i see the loophole now. Now this is messed up...
    But still kinda pointless to spend real money to name snipe someone or create multiple accounts just for that. You really need to be pathetic to do that.

    Don't need to spend any money if you make a new email account.

    I literally already said that. "Multiple accounts". Still pathetic, because you need time and dedication for that.
    Danievictria