Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Alexina Should have been in Nao.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Not to mention that the Name Change war will just happen again when Alexina eventually merges.

It depends on whether they are forced to use the same process that they did earlier or not. If they determine the same urgency to merge Alexina as they did for the other three servers and it happens before they're prepared then we should see just that again. There are two actions here: a full merge, and allowing for duplicate names. At the end of the day, idealistically, the order that they happen in is irrelevant with respect to the final state of things, but solving the naming issue first would involve less anxiety. Nexon would prefer this but it all depends on whether circumstance forces their hand.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited June 14, 2019
    I don't give zero craps about any of my names, just merge us already. People already made Nexon to do so much unnecessary chores in order for "everyone" keep their names with some ugly broken ass server tags and now look what's happening. People can't leave/join guilds, broken (literally) marriages, blackrobed pets and pet name change cards will most likely never come here... I don't mind if i log in after the merge and was made to re-name my all pets and characters upon logging into or summoning any of them.
    NegumikoSakura2503
  • ZetophiZetophi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,425
    No.... Alexandria should remain its own little domain and stay out of the affairs of Nao.
  • LokitinLokitin
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    So I’ve been doing a bit of reading about servers. Obviously I’m in no way an expert, but it’s now my understanding that servers aren’t as simple as they seem.
    The biggest thing, being cost. A server for a game like Mabi costs a LOT, we’re talkin hundreds-of-thousands to potentially even millions per month. Theoretically, the smaller the server, the cheaper it is (this is likely why there were 4 “small” servers to begin with). Upgrading to a bigger server for the merge is a big deal and was likely a huge financial decision...this is probably one of the reasons it took so long, not to mention all the testing and bug ironing to make the transition as smooth as possible.
    Alexina can probably fit in the Nao server without needing to upgrade to an even bigger size, though I’m not quite sure...it’s possible they’ll need to upgrade again, which is why from a business perspective I wouldn’t blame them for dragging their feet if it means spending more money before we know how things are actually going to settle down. I’d give it at *least* 6 months before they start considering merging Alexina, but it’ll likely be longer than that.

Let’s be nicer to Nexon. They’re clearly working hard and listening to the community, but they can’t rush these sorts of things (such as fixing the name changes) even if they wanted to. Computers are complicated, and emotions run high in the community when there’s the slightest screw up...name change bugs is a small inconvenience compared to what could’ve happened had they rushed things.
    They’re spending lots of time and money to keep us happy, not just server wise but staff wise as well (that server price margin wasn’t even including staff, maintenance, updates, etc. which also cost extra money). They’re always adding new content, new events (even if it’s sometimes a rehashed afk event...it’s still new stuff), new features, etc. and lets us all play for FREE regardless of those costs. I’m grateful Mabi is still around for NA/EU at all. They’re fighting hard to keep us alive and we should all appreciate Nexon’s Mabi Team for that, even when they make mistakes or leave us waiting—at least they’re trying.

SherriRadiant DawnDanievictria
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Greta wrote: »
    I don't give zero craps about any of my names, just merge us already. People already made Nexon to do so much unnecessary chores in order for "everyone" keep their names with some ugly broken ass server tags and now look what's happening. People can't leave/join guilds, broken (literally) marriages, blackrobed pets and pet name change cards will most likely never come here... I don't mind if i log in after the merge and was made to re-name my all pets and characters upon logging into or summoning any of them.

Ok let's just forget about those who do care about their names then. :L
    The people who made a character and named them something that represents them, and back when Nexon claimed that merge was 'impossible' so they had no way of knowing it would actually be done.

Honestly, they need to fix names before anything happens. I don't care how long it takes, they can take their time.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Lokitin wrote: »
    So I’ve been doing a bit of reading about servers. Obviously I’m in no way an expert, but it’s now my understanding that servers aren’t as simple as they seem.
    The biggest thing, being cost. A server for a game like Mabi costs a LOT, we’re talkin hundreds-of-thousands to potentially even millions per month. Theoretically, the smaller the server, the cheaper it is (this is likely why there were 4 “small” servers to begin with). Upgrading to a bigger server for the merge is a big deal and was likely a huge financial decision...this is probably one of the reasons it took so long, not to mention all the testing and bug ironing to make the transition as smooth as possible.
    Alexina can probably fit in the Nao server without needing to upgrade to an even bigger size, though I’m not quite sure...it’s possible they’ll need to upgrade again, which is why from a business perspective I wouldn’t blame them for dragging their feet if it means spending more money before we know how things are actually going to settle down. I’d give it at *least* 6 months before they start considering merging Alexina, but it’ll likely be longer than that.

Let’s be nicer to Nexon. They’re clearly working hard and listening to the community, but they can’t rush these sorts of things (such as fixing the name changes) even if they wanted to. Computers are complicated, and emotions run high in the community when there’s the slightest screw up...name change bugs is a small inconvenience compared to what could’ve happened had they rushed things.
    They’re spending lots of time and money to keep us happy, not just server wise but staff wise as well (that server price margin wasn’t even including staff, maintenance, updates, etc. which also cost extra money). They’re always adding new content, new events (even if it’s sometimes a rehashed afk event...it’s still new stuff), new features, etc. and lets us all play for FREE regardless of those costs. I’m grateful Mabi is still around for NA/EU at all. They’re fighting hard to keep us alive and we should all appreciate Nexon’s Mabi Team for that, even when they make mistakes or leave us waiting—at least they’re trying.

Nexon calling Alexina, Mari, Nao, Ruairi, and Tarlach servers is a misnomer. They are not individual physical boxes. Mabinogi is a game housed on many servers simultaneously in what is called a database cluster. What they are calling servers are just partitions in the database that makes Mabinogi. The partitions can be thought of as virtual servers but they are in fact many servers operating together. Each channel is an actual server. This is why sometimes you'll see a channel being rebooted while the game is live. If Nao was just one server then lag would be consistent across all channels regardless of how full any particular channel is.
    SherriRadiant DawnSakura2503Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa

I don't give a crap either. Yesterday for example, I found out someone on Nao has already snagged "Helsa" and yet I slept like a baby. But it does matter to a lot of other people and their feelings matter. It is a problem but it is a fixable problem. Nexon will try to fix it before merging Alexina in, unless circumstance forces them to act earlier than planned.
    SherriRadiant DawnSakura2503
  • ChurrmanderChurrmander
    Mabinogi Rep: 940
    Helsa wrote: »
    Shogai wrote: »
    I just might server change to Alexina if it'll be emptier. Y'all are lucky.

The old servers were small enough that they were merged together, while Alexina was considered big enough to not be merged. What you are experiencing now is nothing new for us. Still it must be coming as a shock to you; that's understandable. Marians are on a twice as big server, Ruairians three times, and Tarlachites four times. It may not be easy to see right now, but you will get used to it and adapt; you all will. Consider this, all that you are now experiencing is nothing new to the folks on Alexina, yet in spite of all that, we'd all like to be merged too.

Why in the name of all that is sacred are people nicknaming us with such a harsh to say word? Tarlachian rolls off the tongue nicer.
    Sherri
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    After playing Nao for quite a while now, I am starting to realize that a lot of players in that server are brain dead. Maybe it's better to not merge with them.
    pawcalypse
  • HelsaHelsa
    Shogai wrote: »
    I just might server change to Alexina if it'll be emptier. Y'all are lucky.

The old servers were small enough that they were merged together, while Alexina was considered big enough to not be merged. What you are experiencing now is nothing new for us. Still it must be coming as a shock to you; that's understandable. Marians are on a twice as big server, Ruairians three times, and Tarlachites four times. It may not be easy to see right now, but you will get used to it and adapt; you all will. Consider this, all that you are now experiencing is nothing new to the folks on Alexina, yet in spite of all that, we'd all like to be merged too.

Why in the name of all that is sacred are people nicknaming us with such a harsh to say word? Tarlachian rolls off the tongue nicer.

Because Tarlachite sounds cool and I'm gonna keep using it, even if it ends up just being me.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Pan wrote: »
    After playing Nao for quite a while now, I am starting to realize that a lot of players in that server are brain dead. Maybe it's better to not merge with them.

And suddenly
    240_F_129765835_qjQdLBtXodXfAazS7OdOOWGM8ooDlpJR.jpg
  • HelsaHelsa
    Wolfsinger wrote: »

And suddenly

Counter clockwise 360? It could've been a clockwise 360! :P
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Wolfsinger wrote: »

And suddenly

Counter clockwise 360? It could've been a clockwise 360! :P

Or just back to 0.
  • SherriSherri
    edited July 8, 2019
    EDIT: Actually nope wait, the thread was locked.. and this is a diff thread..ok I'm good everyone
    except im not
    'i know, let's lock the thread but not leave an explanation on it for why we did'
    nani
    Sebastian
    Sherri wrote: »
    EDIT: Actually nope wait, the thread was locked.. and this is a diff thread..ok I'm good everyone
    except im not
    'i know, let's lock the thread but not leave an explanation on it for why we did'
    nani

Nanikore
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    This is new server merge meme. But it's Alexina now. We won't stop until we get wanted results. Nexon never explained why they didn't do full merge.
    Sherri
  • HelsaHelsa
    This is new server merge meme. But it's Alexina now. We won't stop until we get wanted results. Nexon never explained why they didn't do full merge.

Or why they even had separate servers in the first place.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785

Or why they even had separate servers in the first place.

We had tons of players back in the day. Alexina wasn't needed, but it did get people who quit to come back to be the strongest and the first at things on it.
    Kensamaofmari
  • SherriSherri

I'd at least like to know why as well.. I mean, possibly because they anticipated that both servers really would be equal in pop. but honestly, it's kind of expected that it wouldn't because of the 'hype' kind of people. Blegh.
    Greta
    Sherri wrote: »

I'd at least like to know why as well.. I mean, possibly because they anticipated that both servers really would be equal in pop. but honestly, it's kind of expected that it wouldn't because of the 'hype' kind of people. Blegh.

We can deduct all the possible reasons, but we won't know if they don't tell.
    Could there be company restrictions that also prevent them from providing their clients with certain info?
    Sherri