[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[UPDATE] Addition of Sales Tax When Purchasing NX

Comments

  • TheTakaTheTaka
    Mabinogi Rep: 725
    Posts: 13
    Member
    From what I understand from my roommate... This could be very illegal... "Nexon must have a Canadian based division of the company in order to collect sales tax on transactions based out of Canada..this change in policy means one of two things, either Nexon now has a "Nexon Canada" or they are massively breaking the law."

    CrimsWolfsingerDarkpixie99
  • TheTakaTheTaka
    Mabinogi Rep: 725
    Posts: 13
    Member

    How does that affect Canada though? That's only for the states is it not?
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 43,675
    Posts: 6,590
    Member
    edited September 23
    Draech wrote: »
    Crims wrote: »
    Here is a list of zero percent sales tax states:

    Alaska
    Delaware
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    Oregon

    Zero percent sales tax states come with great benefits, like no free healthcare. I don't get why you're always so pissed off at everything; if you don't like the game and the way the company functions, nothing's stopping you from just walking away.

    Well everyone should be pissed off when they're being ripped off. Except, Nexon may not be the one that should be targeted in this but rather governments.

    All I'm saying is this is just adding salt to a wound.

    Also lets talk about this double tax shall we?
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 28,830
    Posts: 6,295
    Member
    TheTaka wrote: »
    From what I understand from my roommate... This could be very illegal... "Nexon must have a Canadian based division of the company in order to collect sales tax on transactions based out of Canada..this change in policy means one of two things, either Nexon now has a "Nexon Canada" or they are massively breaking the law."

    Well first we need to understand Canadian laws on sales taxes, sales taxes in Canada and the ability to collect sales taxes cross border.
    Darkpixie99
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 28,830
    Posts: 6,295
    Member
    Wikipedia will offer a better understanding
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_v._Wayfair,_Inc.
    Darkpixie99
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 40,745
    Posts: 5,782
    Member
    I guess Nexon just cured some few hundred Canadians and Brits from gacha gambling addiction?
    DANIartsKensamaofmariRadiant DawnCrimsWolfsingerDarkpixie99Sherri
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,000
    Posts: 788
    Member
    as sad as it is, we get taxed on basically everything, including food.
    no point in fighting it.
    KensamaofmariDarkpixie99
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 28,830
    Posts: 6,295
    Member
    DANIarts wrote: »
    as sad as it is, we get taxed on basically everything, including food.
    no point in fighting it.

    We get taxed for everything including death
    DANIartsDarkpixie99
  • TheTakaTheTaka
    Mabinogi Rep: 725
    Posts: 13
    Member
    edited September 23

    Well first we need to understand Canadian laws on sales taxes, sales taxes in Canada and the ability to collect sales taxes cross border.

    Just gonna leave this here... ;v;

    https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4027/doing-business-canada-gst-hst-information-non-residents.html#tax_supp
    KensamaofmariDarkpixie99
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,535
    Posts: 761
    Member
    That's a rip.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,860
    Posts: 746
    Member
    makes me glad I live in Oregon. close enough to the servers to get a good connection and far enough away from the poison of California. this is not really Nexon's fault though.
  • justshowingjustshowing
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    Posts: 136
    Member
    How to add meme:
    Yoshi taxevasionmeme.jpeg
  • CeuiCeui
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,095
    Posts: 26
    Member
    edited September 24
    We all know all these people talking about boycotting NX purchases will end up opening their wallets when a Creepy Haunted gacha happens. And it will eventually happen if this is some desperate move by Nexon to acquire more income.

    Oh and, I'm disappointed in you Nexon.
    Sebastian
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 43,675
    Posts: 6,590
    Member
    edited September 24
    Ninja'd. Welp my warning is now gonna go orange. Sigh...

    I didn't say anything bad about the employees. If anything I feel sorry for them and everything they had to endure this year. And now we're gonna have to pay too.

    I just can't keep my mouth shut when stuff like this keeps happening to this community.

    Bye.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 28,830
    Posts: 6,295
    Member
    Ceui wrote: »
    We all know all these people talking about boycotting NX purchases will end up opening their wallets when a Creepy Haunted gacha happens. And it will eventually happen if this is some desperate move by Nexon to acquire more income.

    Oh and, I'm disappointed in you Nexon.

    No, this sales tax collection by businesses will now be required by law, unless you want them to break the law. Don't scapegoat Nexon.
    DraechChaosShadow
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,180
    Posts: 842
    Member
    edited September 24
    Crims wrote: »
    Ninja'd. Welp my warning is now gonna go orange. Sigh...

    I didn't say anything bad about the employees. If anything I feel sorry for them and everything they had to endure this year. And now we're gonna have to pay too.

    I just can't keep my mouth shut when stuff like this keeps happening to this community.

    Bye.

    You were blaming nexon, refusing to believe this is the governments fault and wanting them to take the money from their own pockets.
    DraechSebastianChaosShadow
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 40,745
    Posts: 5,782
    Member
    edited September 24
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Crims wrote: »
    Ninja'd. Welp my warning is now gonna go orange. Sigh...

    I didn't say anything bad about the employees. If anything I feel sorry for them and everything they had to endure this year. And now we're gonna have to pay too.

    I just can't keep my mouth shut when stuff like this keeps happening to this community.

    Bye.

    You were blaming nexon, refusing to believe this is the governments fault and wanting them to take the money from their own pockets.

    Oof.

    Bye bye Gaea- i mean Crims.

    See you next month.
    SebastianChaosShadow
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,000
    Posts: 788
    Member
    I can understand how people can be salty about this situation, especially since it wasn't enforced sooner, but the reality is...
    taxes beat anything.
    We should give Nexon a break.
    It's not something they can avoid UNLESS they want so much legal issues going on.

    So i'm pretty much neutral about all this.
    if you don't wanna get taxed, dont buy NX.
    if anything just save up gold for what you want, because more than likely - as salty as people are about this - there's STILL going to be players who'll buy NX.
    Example being bobo, she's more than likely still going to buy NX to do gachas because of her YouTube content.
    which isn't a bad thing lmao.

    But yeah, it's your choice whether or not you wanna continue buying NX.
    Policroma
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 28,830
    Posts: 6,295
    Member
    edited September 24
    DANIarts wrote: »
    I can understand how people can be salty about this situation, especially since it wasn't enforced sooner, but the reality is...
    taxes beat anything.
    We should give Nexon a break.
    It's not something they can avoid UNLESS they want so much legal issues going on.

    So i'm pretty much neutral about all this.
    if you don't wanna get taxed, dont buy NX.
    if anything just save up gold for what you want, because more than likely - as salty as people are about this - there's STILL going to be players who'll buy NX.
    Example being bobo, she's more than likely still going to buy NX to do gachas because of her YouTube content.
    which isn't a bad thing lmao.

    But yeah, it's your choice whether or not you wanna continue buying NX.

    Well, from a business standpoint, they'll wait as long as possible before enforcing government taxation requirements.

    I want to see the very same people complaining about Nexon to also not make purchases with any other vendor, because those vendors as well will be collecting sales tax on Oct 1, and no they don't have to tell you that they're collecting them. Nexon did everyone a favor by actually sending out a notice a week beforehand.
    AquasolDarkpixie99SherriDANIartsRadiant DawnWolfsingerChaosShadowAlexisEU