[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge

Comments

  • gregre
    Mabinogi Rep: 665
    Posts: 27
    Member
    edited August 11, 2017
    This whole thread is just
    " People who put a lot of time and money into the game Vs People who just want to see other people with a merge because the game is dying.
    I have characters on all servers but Mari
    Alexina is fine within its own right. most toxic people, much traffic, its fine as is. it doesn't need to be pushed with someone.

    I could say the same for Ruairi it has some sort of balance to it. I still see new players come in and stay in for the most part, old players just come in, and leave back out for another year

    Tarlach is often the best for new players in my opinion, hell some people gave me a starter kit axe,armor and a few other things. most kindness anyone has shown me in-game.

    I don't have knowledge on Mari to tell you about.

    i think if anyone has to merge its Mari and Tarlach-- We don't need a mega server just 2 servers that need a pick-me-up. Mari needs to merge with someone

    I can see where people are coming from when they wanna keep everything they have, i get that-- i also get that people want to see some new faces instead of old. Im not tec savy and seeing how it would work-- I want to say yes on a server merge -- No to a mega they just need to do something about peoples items and the name and blah blah.

    I'd say that i'm For servers merge but i think the game doesn't need it now, I mean it does. They'll need to tell us whats going to happen if we ever had one first then go by what the community thinks
    No on merge and no on Mega
    I remember back in 08 when i could barely log in sometimes because events crazy times.
    SherriUnwanted2
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,740
    Posts: 2,552
    Member
    edited August 11, 2017
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    No I don't hate this game I just don't like having not enough people all the time ^^ You don't have right to tell someone to play different game. Your opinion is only legit....if there were enough people to make server completely full. I'd understand if you were only against mega server.

    I did not contextually tell you to "play a different game". I implied, if you despise the game so much then perhaps you should go play a different game, permanently; (if the shoe fits; wear it). My opinion is legit all of the time; as is every other opinion on this forum (let that sink in).

    There seems to be a communication problem here. ~ This thread is not about Hardmuscle's opinion, or your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or Hardmuscle's opinion of your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or anybody else's opinion of anyone's opinion. This is not an opinion party. :|

    This thread is a Nine-Year-Old (dead-on-arrival) debate. It remains open (as opposed to locked) only as a place to merge its own restoration in to (each time it's restored by someone who can't comprehend no). If there was only 1 channel on Mari, Tarlach, and Ruairi (or you weren't playing when you know the USA is asleep for the most part), there'd be more than enough people to serve you; and yes yes, I am aware that the game is open to more than just the USA, but this does not change the fact that the servers are in the USA. I say "serve you" because, the level of thought (or lack of it) being applied here is assuming, 'others must be here to cater for everyone else'.. and that is not the case. You are basing your entire "judgement" on only the visible population (each and every time you make the judgement) and not once acknowledging those who aren't being included (accounted for; even rightfully), due to being offline for any length of time (be it 5 years, 5 months, 5 weeks, 5 days, or 5 minutes).

    You and this cult (the server-merge-groupies) can't exactly say, "a user's non-presence around you (when you deem they must be present to serve you, on the spot) is indicative of inactivity warranting a merge of servers"; let alone a loss of all hope by anyone other than yourselves. :)
    9 year old topic, not same situation and population. You seem like only one stuck in 2008~2009.


    forum
    noun
    plural noun: forums
    1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.


    You assumed that I hate the game, even after I said I don't.

    Other people aren't here to serve or cater for others. However, this is MMO that certainly needs party play at some point- and gives penalty for playing solo. They made this game that people 'require' other people to enjoy contents. Therefore large playerbase is desirable because it helps to find people with same interest.
    That certain time period when server feels active does exist- but it's not that long. For having players from various time zone, various life style (not everyone lives same), this feels very limited. I know game server is in North America, but it does not mean that they shouldn't care for others. That's why people are so angry with Watermelon event.
    If those 'offline players' you are mentioning plays enough to count in 'visible userbase- (regardless of whether 'I' see them or not)' yes they are contributing in 'active players meter'. If they don't, I don't know why you are caring so much for those who 'quit' and probably not come back for god knows when- whether it be now,tomorrow, a week from now, a month, a year, or forever. The one who plays matters.

    And no, channel merge will massively harm playerbase and bring no good at all;
    1. There aren't barely any players to gather from other channels.
    2. Lack of farming/training place
    3. Sale of daily limited item from npcs (Ducat shop, Cooking dungeon pass, etc)
    4. Dragons and field bosses - they only spawn one in one channel. You're asking those servers to have one dragon each per day.
    5. Some people like playing in other channels because they like playing solo/ less lag/ training skills etc. If they wanted people to play with they'd switch to busiest channel. Merging channels will just force bring those who don't want other people. Not to even mention anger and frustration generated from lack of space....
    6. When channel crash happens, people have option to change channel and play the game. If there's only one channel per server, they don't have option to cc.
    7. Changing channel solves most of the glitches. (Fighter glitch, Location glitch, Npc glitch, Dressing room glitch)
    People would have to log off if they didn't have option to cc.

    Obviously merging all channels to 1 would bring all these problems + possibly more.

    You are an awfully ignorant troll. - It's not only a 9-year old topic - It's an officially denied topic.

    - No amount of ignorant crap from you (about my opinion; as though your opinion is the only opinion with value) will change anything.
    gre wrote: »
    This whole thread is just
    " People who put a lot of time and money into the game Vs People who just want to see other people with a merge because the game is dying.

    Correction. ~ This thread is a combination of people who cannot comprehend 'NO' (Officially Denied by Nexon) and people who can comprehend 'NO' but have to put up with ignorant people who can't comprehend 'NO'. ~ It's like a bridge full of trolls.
    Sherri
  • OligarchyOligarchy
    Mabinogi Rep: 430
    Posts: 12
    Member
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    No I don't hate this game I just don't like having not enough people all the time ^^ You don't have right to tell someone to play different game. Your opinion is only legit....if there were enough people to make server completely full. I'd understand if you were only against mega server.

    I did not contextually tell you to "play a different game". I implied, if you despise the game so much then perhaps you should go play a different game, permanently; (if the shoe fits; wear it). My opinion is legit all of the time; as is every other opinion on this forum (let that sink in).

    There seems to be a communication problem here. ~ This thread is not about Hardmuscle's opinion, or your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or Hardmuscle's opinion of your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or anybody else's opinion of anyone's opinion. This is not an opinion party. :|

    This thread is a Nine-Year-Old (dead-on-arrival) debate. It remains open (as opposed to locked) only as a place to merge its own restoration in to (each time it's restored by someone who can't comprehend no). If there was only 1 channel on Mari, Tarlach, and Ruairi (or you weren't playing when you know the USA is asleep for the most part), there'd be more than enough people to serve you; and yes yes, I am aware that the game is open to more than just the USA, but this does not change the fact that the servers are in the USA. I say "serve you" because, the level of thought (or lack of it) being applied here is assuming, 'others must be here to cater for everyone else'.. and that is not the case. You are basing your entire "judgement" on only the visible population (each and every time you make the judgement) and not once acknowledging those who aren't being included (accounted for; even rightfully), due to being offline for any length of time (be it 5 years, 5 months, 5 weeks, 5 days, or 5 minutes).

    You and this cult (the server-merge-groupies) can't exactly say, "a user's non-presence around you (when you deem they must be present to serve you, on the spot) is indicative of inactivity warranting a merge of servers"; let alone a loss of all hope by anyone other than yourselves. :)
    9 year old topic, not same situation and population. You seem like only one stuck in 2008~2009.


    forum
    noun
    plural noun: forums
    1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.


    You assumed that I hate the game, even after I said I don't.

    Other people aren't here to serve or cater for others. However, this is MMO that certainly needs party play at some point- and gives penalty for playing solo. They made this game that people 'require' other people to enjoy contents. Therefore large playerbase is desirable because it helps to find people with same interest.
    That certain time period when server feels active does exist- but it's not that long. For having players from various time zone, various life style (not everyone lives same), this feels very limited. I know game server is in North America, but it does not mean that they shouldn't care for others. That's why people are so angry with Watermelon event.
    If those 'offline players' you are mentioning plays enough to count in 'visible userbase- (regardless of whether 'I' see them or not)' yes they are contributing in 'active players meter'. If they don't, I don't know why you are caring so much for those who 'quit' and probably not come back for god knows when- whether it be now,tomorrow, a week from now, a month, a year, or forever. The one who plays matters.

    And no, channel merge will massively harm playerbase and bring no good at all;
    1. There aren't barely any players to gather from other channels.
    2. Lack of farming/training place
    3. Sale of daily limited item from npcs (Ducat shop, Cooking dungeon pass, etc)
    4. Dragons and field bosses - they only spawn one in one channel. You're asking those servers to have one dragon each per day.
    5. Some people like playing in other channels because they like playing solo/ less lag/ training skills etc. If they wanted people to play with they'd switch to busiest channel. Merging channels will just force bring those who don't want other people. Not to even mention anger and frustration generated from lack of space....
    6. When channel crash happens, people have option to change channel and play the game. If there's only one channel per server, they don't have option to cc.
    7. Changing channel solves most of the glitches. (Fighter glitch, Location glitch, Npc glitch, Dressing room glitch)
    People would have to log off if they didn't have option to cc.

    Obviously merging all channels to 1 would bring all these problems + possibly more.

    You are an awfully ignorant troll. - It's not only a 9-year old topic - It's an officially denied topic.

    - No amount of ignorant crap from you (about my opinion; as though your opinion is the only opinion with value) will change anything.
    gre wrote: »
    This whole thread is just
    " People who put a lot of time and money into the game Vs People who just want to see other people with a merge because the game is dying.

    Correction. ~ This thread is a combination of people who cannot comprehend 'NO' (Officially Denied by Nexon) and people who can comprehend 'NO' but have to put up with ignorant morons who can't comprehend 'NO'. ~ It's like a bridge full of trolls.

    Many people in the world would've gotten nowhere if they stopped when they were told no. :)
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,740
    Posts: 2,552
    Member
    edited August 11, 2017
    Oligarchy wrote: »
    Many people in the world would've gotten nowhere if they stopped when they were told no. :)

    That's very true, but those people probably had something to show for their argument (grounds to stand on). As opposed to the bickering babbling pile of bologna in this thread. ~ Nexon has the numbers (the actual population) and they have already made their decision. :)
    Sherri
  • OligarchyOligarchy
    Mabinogi Rep: 430
    Posts: 12
    Member
    Your argument isn't any better than ours, lol. Just because Nexon said, "No", however long ago, doesn't mean they won't ever do it. You're making it seem like it's 100% impossible.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,740
    Posts: 2,552
    Member
    edited August 11, 2017
    Oligarchy wrote: »
    Your argument isn't any better than ours, lol. Just because Nexon said, "No", however long ago, doesn't mean they won't ever do it. You're making it seem like it's 100% impossible.
    That's the problem. I'm not here to argue. A great example is the conversation me and you never had before you and your shadow decided to go all out against what I had to say. You don't chew someone out for a week straight and then accuse them of having an issue when they (I) tell you where to put it. ~ This entire "argument" between the 3 (or 2) of us began with my statements being taken out of context (I wonder why).

    What if I told you I have to (I must) move in with you (at your house) for personal reasons and you said no... ~ Should I keep insisting?? :)
     
  • YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,825
    Posts: 322
    Member
    edited August 11, 2017
    gre wrote: »
    i think if anyone has to merge its Mari and Tarlach-- We don't need a mega server just 2 servers that need a pick-me-up. Mari needs to merge with someone

    I can see where people are coming from when they wanna keep everything they have, i get that-- i also get that people want to see some new faces instead of old. Im not tec savy and seeing how it would work-- I want to say yes on a server merge -- No to a mega they just need to do something about peoples items and the name and blah blah.

    I'd say that i'm For servers merge but i think the game doesn't need it now, I mean it does. They'll need to tell us whats going to happen if we ever had one first then go by what the community thinks
    No on merge and no on Mega
    I remember back in 08 when i could barely log in sometimes because events crazy times.

    I can agree to this. Obviously, if population were a serious issue, then the servers would've already been merged and threads like this wouldn't exist. Even if, somewhere down the line in the future, the servers will have to be merged, I'd rather it be with two servers merged into one, rather than a mega server, which, looking at the amount of complaints about lag and the like, especially from those not living in NA, does not seem as plausible. For now, there is no need for a merge. As @Hardmuscle has said, Nexon has the numbers, and Nexon KR has the final word, and if they have said no, they said so for a reason.
    Sherri
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,740
    Posts: 2,552
    Member
    edited August 12, 2017
    Yokkaichi wrote: »
    As @gre has said, Nexon has the numbers, and Nexon KR has the final word, and if they have said no, they said so for a reason.
    There's seems to be some "confusion" ... ~ gre did not say that (or anything like that in this thread). - I did.
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Nexon has the numbers (the actual population) and they have already made their decision. :)
  • YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,825
    Posts: 322
    Member
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Yokkaichi wrote: »
    As @gre has said, Nexon has the numbers, and Nexon KR has the final word, and if they have said no, they said so for a reason.
    There's seems to some "confusion" ... ~ gre did not say that (or anything like that in this thread). - I did.
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Nexon has the numbers (the actual population) and they have already made their decision. :)
    Perhaps accidental, perhaps not. ~ It appears to be another way of taking what Hardmuscle said out of context. (let's take part of what Hardmuscle said and inject it into something he did not say to make the average illiterate get the wrong message).
     

    Relax dude, there was some confusion on my part. I tagged the wrong person, people make mistakes. Look, I fixed it, so don't burn me at the stake, mkay?
    Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,740
    Posts: 2,552
    Member
    edited August 11, 2017
    Yokkaichi wrote: »
    Relax dude, there was some confusion on my part. I tagged the wrong person, people make mistakes. Look, I fixed it, so don't burn me at the stake, mkay?

    It's all good, no harm done. ~ I removed my 'Snarcasm'. :)

    The only existing proof of dying servers are the cries of a very small handful of people on a forum representing less than .5% of the population.
    Sherri
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 657
    Member
    I don't believe in the merge. A transfer is a nice idea, however, because it has to have the characters consent to move it.

    I'd be upset if I lost everything because Nexon decided to merge the servers. Of course you could get everything back, but it would take billions of gold and most of everyone's items would be deleted. Nexon would surely have a lot more work to do because people would complain their ears off, not to mention, there are thousands of players out there.

    A transfer is probably the best option. It gives people the option of consent and to know the price on their hands before they make a decision.
    SherriHardmuscle
  • FudgeappleFudgeapple
    Mabinogi Rep: 320
    Posts: 7
    Member
    Zarric wrote: »
    As I stated in the previous one, I'd rather not have merges if it consisted of any mega server. It's a very bad ideal, and the lag and market would be so bad it's not worth playing at that point. It would also be the single deal breaker since I started playing in 08, to actually make me consider the thought of and actually quit Mabinogi. (Only time I'll ever say it.)

    I'm on the fence about 2 servers being merged with another 2 but at least that is a sustainable ideal I could live with, and enjoy. For example: Tarlach merged with Mari, and Ruairi with Alexina.

    I believe that if any server merged with Alexina will only end badly, this is because the economy of it is already expensive (greedy people), and for people to be moved into it will probably stuggle since the price difference can be quite significant. for 2 smaller severs it's the same but the prices may not be as bad but still have to adjust and pretty sure things will go wrong. then there's the last server, either way 3 servers merged would be too much, but more being in alexina will also be hectic and horrible.
    Hardmuscle
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Posts: 430
    Member
    edited August 12, 2017
    The only way I would want the merger is if I get to keep all the items, gold, pets, and characters I have exactly as they are before the merger happens. I am a veteran player with at least 8 years of devoted gaming it would be awful to lose everything I've worked for and have spent lots of money on. Maybe I'm too attached to my characters and my items, but over the years you feel sentimental about your things. Some items may hold special meanings for you or remind you of people so you don't want to lose them. In my case it reminds me of everything I went through to build my characters up and complete everything I have done to get the stuff I have.

    I think if people had to start over with new characters and no items, gold, or pets it would make everyone more upset and more players would want to leave. I mean you could always create a new character on a different server, but that basically means starting all over again. With the merger, we shouldn't have to go to such extremes and instead keep what we have and change what server we are accessing. I'm not sure if its something in the code that could be replaced, but I'd imagine it would have to be changed on all items, pets, and characters making it a lengthy and difficult process. I imagine it like find and replace in microsoft word where you search pages after pages for the server name to replace it with target server name. Now repeating that for everything would take a lot of time and work. Hopefully, there is a faster way to automate it and make it easier on everyone so the transfer to another server can seem hassle free and seamless.

    Another concern I had was the amount of lag caused by combining servers to hopefully bring more active people together. Merging servers would also mean bringing over inactive players as well such as those who haven't logged in for a very long time or those who afk for events ect. More people means more traffic hitting the server which increases the overall lag felt by everyone. The servers would need to be changed to handle the higher traffic that this merger would put upon them. Best to address the issue of lag and how to remedy it before the merger causes more problems.

    I personally would rather it be voluntary if people move or not. Give players a choice if they wish to transfer from their current server to another one. This would be limited to once per character/pet but give them the chance to relocate if they feel their server is inactive or whatever the reasons maybe. Transfering a large number of people all at the same time would cause a lot of delay and potential problems if errors occur while data is being moved over. If the players are given a choice they can pick when and if they want to move so it won't be so sudden and in mass numbers. It will cause less stress on the servers trying to send and receive the data as well.
    Hardmuscle
  • ZarricZarric
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,000
    Posts: 75
    Member
    @Fudgeapple;

    I said that months ago in theoretical situation, thought I didn't imply it then. That post was for the original un-edited opening post which has changed.

    At this time I still stand by what I said Here
    Basically merging servers are not needed, despite what -some- people think or believe.
    HardmuscleSherri
  • Unwanted2Unwanted2
    Mabinogi Rep: 805
    Posts: 17
    Member
    edited August 14, 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    No I don't hate this game I just don't like having not enough people all the time ^^ You don't have right to tell someone to play different game. Your opinion is only legit....if there were enough people to make server completely full. I'd understand if you were only against mega server.

    I did not contextually tell you to "play a different game". I implied, if you despise the game so much then perhaps you should go play a different game, permanently; (if the shoe fits; wear it). My opinion is legit all of the time; as is every other opinion on this forum (let that sink in).

    There seems to be a communication problem here. ~ This thread is not about Hardmuscle's opinion, or your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or Hardmuscle's opinion of your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or anybody else's opinion of anyone's opinion. This is not an opinion party. :|

    This thread is a Nine-Year-Old (dead-on-arrival) debate. It remains open (as opposed to locked) only as a place to merge its own restoration in to (each time it's restored by someone who can't comprehend no). If there was only 1 channel on Mari, Tarlach, and Ruairi (or you weren't playing when you know the USA is asleep for the most part), there'd be more than enough people to serve you; and yes yes, I am aware that the game is open to more than just the USA, but this does not change the fact that the servers are in the USA. I say "serve you" because, the level of thought (or lack of it) being applied here is assuming, 'others must be here to cater for everyone else'.. and that is not the case. You are basing your entire "judgement" on only the visible population (each and every time you make the judgement) and not once acknowledging those who aren't being included (accounted for; even rightfully), due to being offline for any length of time (be it 5 years, 5 months, 5 weeks, 5 days, or 5 minutes).

    You and this cult (the server-merge-groupies) can't exactly say, "a user's non-presence around you (when you deem they must be present to serve you, on the spot) is indicative of inactivity warranting a merge of servers"; let alone a loss of all hope by anyone other than yourselves. :)
    9 year old topic, not same situation and population. You seem like only one stuck in 2008~2009.


    forum
    noun
    plural noun: forums
    1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.


    You assumed that I hate the game, even after I said I don't.

    Other people aren't here to serve or cater for others. However, this is MMO that certainly needs party play at some point- and gives penalty for playing solo. They made this game that people 'require' other people to enjoy contents. Therefore large playerbase is desirable because it helps to find people with same interest.
    That certain time period when server feels active does exist- but it's not that long. For having players from various time zone, various life style (not everyone lives same), this feels very limited. I know game server is in North America, but it does not mean that they shouldn't care for others. That's why people are so angry with Watermelon event.
    If those 'offline players' you are mentioning plays enough to count in 'visible userbase- (regardless of whether 'I' see them or not)' yes they are contributing in 'active players meter'. If they don't, I don't know why you are caring so much for those who 'quit' and probably not come back for god knows when- whether it be now,tomorrow, a week from now, a month, a year, or forever. The one who plays matters.

    And no, channel merge will massively harm playerbase and bring no good at all;
    1. There aren't barely any players to gather from other channels.
    2. Lack of farming/training place
    3. Sale of daily limited item from npcs (Ducat shop, Cooking dungeon pass, etc)
    4. Dragons and field bosses - they only spawn one in one channel. You're asking those servers to have one dragon each per day.
    5. Some people like playing in other channels because they like playing solo/ less lag/ training skills etc. If they wanted people to play with they'd switch to busiest channel. Merging channels will just force bring those who don't want other people. Not to even mention anger and frustration generated from lack of space....
    6. When channel crash happens, people have option to change channel and play the game. If there's only one channel per server, they don't have option to cc.
    7. Changing channel solves most of the glitches. (Fighter glitch, Location glitch, Npc glitch, Dressing room glitch)
    People would have to log off if they didn't have option to cc.

    Obviously merging all channels to 1 would bring all these problems + possibly more.

    You are an awfully ignorant troll. - It's not only a 9-year old topic - It's an officially denied topic.

    - No amount of ignorant crap from you (about my opinion; as though your opinion is the only opinion with value) will change anything.
    gre wrote: »
    This whole thread is just
    " People who put a lot of time and money into the game Vs People who just want to see other people with a merge because the game is dying.

    Correction. ~ This thread is a combination of people who cannot comprehend 'NO' (Officially Denied by Nexon) and people who can comprehend 'NO' but have to put up with ignorant people who can't comprehend 'NO'. ~ It's like a bridge full of trolls.

    Stop derailing thread by calling out people trolls. If this 9-year old topic wasn't supposed to be here it would have been deleted already. You shouldn't attack people because they support something or they disagree with you. Any more harassment -calling out someone as something- will be reported.

  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,455
    Posts: 941
    Member
    I really care for server merge. I just wish there were more music players in game.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,790
    Posts: 798
    Member
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    No I don't hate this game I just don't like having not enough people all the time ^^ You don't have right to tell someone to play different game. Your opinion is only legit....if there were enough people to make server completely full. I'd understand if you were only against mega server.

    I did not contextually tell you to "play a different game". I implied, if you despise the game so much then perhaps you should go play a different game, permanently; (if the shoe fits; wear it). My opinion is legit all of the time; as is every other opinion on this forum (let that sink in).

    There seems to be a communication problem here. ~ This thread is not about Hardmuscle's opinion, or your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or Hardmuscle's opinion of your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or anybody else's opinion of anyone's opinion. This is not an opinion party. :|

    This thread is a Nine-Year-Old (dead-on-arrival) debate. It remains open (as opposed to locked) only as a place to merge its own restoration in to (each time it's restored by someone who can't comprehend no). If there was only 1 channel on Mari, Tarlach, and Ruairi (or you weren't playing when you know the USA is asleep for the most part), there'd be more than enough people to serve you; and yes yes, I am aware that the game is open to more than just the USA, but this does not change the fact that the servers are in the USA. I say "serve you" because, the level of thought (or lack of it) being applied here is assuming, 'others must be here to cater for everyone else'.. and that is not the case. You are basing your entire "judgement" on only the visible population (each and every time you make the judgement) and not once acknowledging those who aren't being included (accounted for; even rightfully), due to being offline for any length of time (be it 5 years, 5 months, 5 weeks, 5 days, or 5 minutes).

    You and this cult (the server-merge-groupies) can't exactly say, "a user's non-presence around you (when you deem they must be present to serve you, on the spot) is indicative of inactivity warranting a merge of servers"; let alone a loss of all hope by anyone other than yourselves. :)
    9 year old topic, not same situation and population. You seem like only one stuck in 2008~2009.


    forum
    noun
    plural noun: forums
    1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.


    You assumed that I hate the game, even after I said I don't.

    Other people aren't here to serve or cater for others. However, this is MMO that certainly needs party play at some point- and gives penalty for playing solo. They made this game that people 'require' other people to enjoy contents. Therefore large playerbase is desirable because it helps to find people with same interest.
    That certain time period when server feels active does exist- but it's not that long. For having players from various time zone, various life style (not everyone lives same), this feels very limited. I know game server is in North America, but it does not mean that they shouldn't care for others. That's why people are so angry with Watermelon event.
    If those 'offline players' you are mentioning plays enough to count in 'visible userbase- (regardless of whether 'I' see them or not)' yes they are contributing in 'active players meter'. If they don't, I don't know why you are caring so much for those who 'quit' and probably not come back for god knows when- whether it be now,tomorrow, a week from now, a month, a year, or forever. The one who plays matters.

    And no, channel merge will massively harm playerbase and bring no good at all;
    1. There aren't barely any players to gather from other channels.
    2. Lack of farming/training place
    3. Sale of daily limited item from npcs (Ducat shop, Cooking dungeon pass, etc)
    4. Dragons and field bosses - they only spawn one in one channel. You're asking those servers to have one dragon each per day.
    5. Some people like playing in other channels because they like playing solo/ less lag/ training skills etc. If they wanted people to play with they'd switch to busiest channel. Merging channels will just force bring those who don't want other people. Not to even mention anger and frustration generated from lack of space....
    6. When channel crash happens, people have option to change channel and play the game. If there's only one channel per server, they don't have option to cc.
    7. Changing channel solves most of the glitches. (Fighter glitch, Location glitch, Npc glitch, Dressing room glitch)
    People would have to log off if they didn't have option to cc.

    Obviously merging all channels to 1 would bring all these problems + possibly more.

    You are an awfully ignorant troll. - It's not only a 9-year old topic - It's an officially denied topic.

    - No amount of ignorant crap from you (about my opinion; as though your opinion is the only opinion with value) will change anything.
    gre wrote: »
    This whole thread is just
    " People who put a lot of time and money into the game Vs People who just want to see other people with a merge because the game is dying.

    Correction. ~ This thread is a combination of people who cannot comprehend 'NO' (Officially Denied by Nexon) and people who can comprehend 'NO' but have to put up with ignorant people who can't comprehend 'NO'. ~ It's like a bridge full of trolls.

    Stop derailing thread by calling out people trolls. If this 9-year old topic wasn't supposed to be here it would have been deleted already. You shouldn't attack people because they support something or they disagree with you. Any more harassment -calling out someone as something- will be reported.

    To be fair, you're doing the same thing he is, only difference being that you're supporting the viewpoint opposing his.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,740
    Posts: 2,552
    Member
    edited August 14, 2017
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Unwanted2 wrote: »
    No I don't hate this game I just don't like having not enough people all the time ^^ You don't have right to tell someone to play different game. Your opinion is only legit....if there were enough people to make server completely full. I'd understand if you were only against mega server.

    I did not contextually tell you to "play a different game". I implied, if you despise the game so much then perhaps you should go play a different game, permanently; (if the shoe fits; wear it). My opinion is legit all of the time; as is every other opinion on this forum (let that sink in).

    There seems to be a communication problem here. ~ This thread is not about Hardmuscle's opinion, or your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or Hardmuscle's opinion of your opinion of Hardmuscle's opinion, or anybody else's opinion of anyone's opinion. This is not an opinion party. :|

    This thread is a Nine-Year-Old (dead-on-arrival) debate. It remains open (as opposed to locked) only as a place to merge its own restoration in to (each time it's restored by someone who can't comprehend no). If there was only 1 channel on Mari, Tarlach, and Ruairi (or you weren't playing when you know the USA is asleep for the most part), there'd be more than enough people to serve you; and yes yes, I am aware that the game is open to more than just the USA, but this does not change the fact that the servers are in the USA. I say "serve you" because, the level of thought (or lack of it) being applied here is assuming, 'others must be here to cater for everyone else'.. and that is not the case. You are basing your entire "judgement" on only the visible population (each and every time you make the judgement) and not once acknowledging those who aren't being included (accounted for; even rightfully), due to being offline for any length of time (be it 5 years, 5 months, 5 weeks, 5 days, or 5 minutes).

    You and this cult (the server-merge-groupies) can't exactly say, "a user's non-presence around you (when you deem they must be present to serve you, on the spot) is indicative of inactivity warranting a merge of servers"; let alone a loss of all hope by anyone other than yourselves. :)
    9 year old topic, not same situation and population. You seem like only one stuck in 2008~2009.


    forum
    noun
    plural noun: forums
    1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.


    You assumed that I hate the game, even after I said I don't.

    Other people aren't here to serve or cater for others. However, this is MMO that certainly needs party play at some point- and gives penalty for playing solo. They made this game that people 'require' other people to enjoy contents. Therefore large playerbase is desirable because it helps to find people with same interest.
    That certain time period when server feels active does exist- but it's not that long. For having players from various time zone, various life style (not everyone lives same), this feels very limited. I know game server is in North America, but it does not mean that they shouldn't care for others. That's why people are so angry with Watermelon event.
    If those 'offline players' you are mentioning plays enough to count in 'visible userbase- (regardless of whether 'I' see them or not)' yes they are contributing in 'active players meter'. If they don't, I don't know why you are caring so much for those who 'quit' and probably not come back for god knows when- whether it be now,tomorrow, a week from now, a month, a year, or forever. The one who plays matters.

    And no, channel merge will massively harm playerbase and bring no good at all;
    1. There aren't barely any players to gather from other channels.
    2. Lack of farming/training place
    3. Sale of daily limited item from npcs (Ducat shop, Cooking dungeon pass, etc)
    4. Dragons and field bosses - they only spawn one in one channel. You're asking those servers to have one dragon each per day.
    5. Some people like playing in other channels because they like playing solo/ less lag/ training skills etc. If they wanted people to play with they'd switch to busiest channel. Merging channels will just force bring those who don't want other people. Not to even mention anger and frustration generated from lack of space....
    6. When channel crash happens, people have option to change channel and play the game. If there's only one channel per server, they don't have option to cc.
    7. Changing channel solves most of the glitches. (Fighter glitch, Location glitch, Npc glitch, Dressing room glitch)
    People would have to log off if they didn't have option to cc.

    Obviously merging all channels to 1 would bring all these problems + possibly more.

    You are an awfully ignorant troll. - It's not only a 9-year old topic - It's an officially denied topic.

    - No amount of ignorant crap from you (about my opinion; as though your opinion is the only opinion with value) will change anything.
    gre wrote: »
    This whole thread is just
    " People who put a lot of time and money into the game Vs People who just want to see other people with a merge because the game is dying.

    Correction. ~ This thread is a combination of people who cannot comprehend 'NO' (Officially Denied by Nexon) and people who can comprehend 'NO' but have to put up with ignorant people who can't comprehend 'NO'. ~ It's like a bridge full of trolls.

    Stop derailing thread by calling out people trolls. If this 9-year old topic wasn't supposed to be here it would have been deleted already. You shouldn't attack people because they support something or they disagree with you. Any more harassment -calling out someone as something- will be reported.
    Like I said once already; this thread is not about me; despite you and your friend's week-long effort to make it such.

    You started this debate between the two of us and won't stop. ~ Now surely you have taxes to collect from your bridge.

    It's pretty damn ironic how you're defending a supposed 'right to harass me', after I told you I would report you for it.

    You don't get to turn this one around. I am not the one who quoted you in search of an argument. ~ You did this, to me.

    Where does it say @Unwanted2 --or-- @Oligarchy in the following quote and post, and why hasn't @Crossx2 said anything?
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Crossx2 wrote: »
    As someone who has switched to Alexina because of the lack of people in Ruairi (and please don't say I'm part of the problem, I held out on Ruairi a long, long time, and contributed to population by running a guild and keeping people together best I could for several years), I am in favor of merging servers. No matter which way we do it, nothing but good can come from giving people on near dead servers a higher population to play alongside.

    I'll admit I'm not an expert at how the game's coding works, nor the limitations the system has. And I'm not familiar with how running servers works. However, specifics aside, I'd say that the idea of a megaserver sounds like the best course of action to me. This opinion comes from my experience playing Mabinogi almost since its launch, seeing my home server live and breathe and then start to fade, switching to the most populated server in a last ditch effort to have people to play the game with, leaving behind all of my levels, skills and items. I've seen 2 servers for myself, and heard much talk of the others, and have played many other games (mmos) where I've seen the good (and the bad) that comes from having a single, large server.

    Lets be honest, whoever it was, Devcat's instruction, or the staff at Nexon, the "New" tag on the Alexina server was left on for far too long. It created an imbalance that no simple solution will fix. Right now, Alexina is practically the megaserver. You could merge the other server(s) in an attempt to balance the population, but the idea has already taken root in the community that Alexina is the place to be. I'm unaware of the specific statistics, but from general understanding, seeing for myself, and hearing people talk, the populations on the other servers (Ruairi and Tarlach the most, but also Mari as well) have suffered greatly. The only long term fix to this, and also the issue of gradual decline in population over time, is to switch to a megaserver now.

    Combining all of the servers into one megaserver would cause a rise in the population. People like myself, and many others, would return to the game, to ensure we have our characters, our gear, see what the new server is like, meet new people. A lot of those people are going to stick around, because the reason they had left the game is gone. I believe a merge would bring life back to the community, the bigger the merge, the larger the effect. This effect is going to last for some time, and it would be a great opening to introduce additional content, to keep people interested, and several fixes, to show the community that the game is still being cared for.
    Changes can be made to deal with a large population on one server, more channels can be added, spawn rates can be boosted, ect. I don't know how much I'll go into detail about my opinions on these things, as I'm sure its something the developers and staff have much more knowledge about.
    There wouldn't be a problem of one server being more laggy or having a worse community than another, because there will only be one server, one community, Mabinogi. All money and effort that is being spent to keep the 4 servers running right now could be combined and focused onto the new server. As the main post in this thread has said, technology is moving forward, and if we want the game to stay relevant and stick around, Mabinogi should move forward as well.
    For an older game like Mabinogi, keeping the community together is something that is very important, because without being in this together, we have less reason to care as a player base, to stick around, to voice our concerns to help both developers and players stay on the same page, to spend money on the game. It is my belief that a megaserver will be a great step towards encouraging all of these things, by making us one community.

    From a player standpoint, I see no reason why a merge of all the servers, or any server, should cause us to lose anything. Characters, pets, names, items, gold.. all of it is just data, and information, right? I understand its more involved than that, but there should be ways to copy the data from different servers, and combine it into one (or more) server(s), without losing anything. It just seems like it would be something that might take time, and a lot of effort. However, I feel the situation requires this time and effort be spent, to ensure the merge is successful, and that people have a reason to stay and play the game after it is complete. People do not want to lose their hard earned progress, which they have spent much of their own time and money on.
    For names, I understand that they are already sort of on the same system. It is possible to add and message people from different servers, two people with the same name could speak to each other in private messages or notes. It just puts a (Server) tag at the end of each name. Why not keep this? Representing our home servers before the merge doesn't sound like a problem to me. And if a few people do have double names, you could give them the option of changing names, or if they choose, to stay the same. The issue of a few people having the same name feels like a very small problem, in comparison to the mass loss of population the game has seen, and will continue to see, until something is done to fix the server imbalance issue. Besides, many new games and platforms, such as steam, already allow people to play games with the same name, just a code or something else to identify them otherwise, and I've never seen nor heard of any large issue arising from this method. If unique names must be had, then at the very least, allow whoever logs on first to have the name, and offer name changes to those who end up with duplicate names. (This is the method I have seen in other mmos when server merges have happened.)
    Guilds are unique, independent of server, there can only be one guild of a name. So if a guild with a name exists on Ruairi, that same guild cannot exist on Alexina, or any of the other servers. Why not keep this as it is, as well? Just transfer all of the guild information to the new server. If transferring them is an issue, remove all players from the guild and bind it to the guild leader, so they can recruit people back after the merge.
    Pets could keep their names just like characters, I don't see why it matters much if a couple of pets are running around with the same name. Or they could be wiped, to allow people to rename their pets, in my opinion pet names are not as important as character names, and are worth sacrificing for a merge. An additional suggestion would be to make pet naming a separate system from character naming, as its always been odd that pet names take up many of the names that would have otherwise been available to players.
    I see no reason for character progress or items to be lost. Bind the characters skills, inventories, dressing room, banks, and pet inventories to the players account, and transfer a copy of that data to the new server. Or, if the dressing room really is an issue, give players ample warning to remove items from it, and at very least, keep a copy of what each account had in the dressing room, and give the items back to them on the new server if they were not able to pull them out in time.

    A server merge, especially one on such a grand scale as merging to a megaserver, is a big event. Many warnings should be given, care should be taken to make sure that nothing is lost or overlooked. If sacrifices do need to be made, they should be laid out for players well in advance. Support should be available to resolve individual issues that arise.
    I can see why it is not something that the devs, nexon, and many players want to deal with. But I, and many other people, do believe that something like this is necessary for the game's survival.
    Personally, I would be willing to give up everything for a server merge. In fact I already have, when I switched to Alexina. Although I did so with the hope that I could return to my account on Ruairi one day if such a merge did happen, and there were people to play with again.
    I think that every possible solution for keeping players characters and items intact should be explored before a decision like that is made, however.

    An MMO is just that, a massively multiplayer online game. Without the multiplayer aspect of that, the game cannot be what it is. If the game is not what it is, then it will be something far less, or worse, nothing at all. This is what I truly believe, why I changed servers, why I post this now. To be able to play this game and enjoy it as it was meant to be, and as it has been all of these years, we need to merge the servers so that the population can be joined, and balanced.

    I wait for the day when I can invest in an account again, and be sure that I will have people to play alongside, because I do love this game.

    Define Windbag...

    As someone who has played hundreds of mmo-rpgs and someone who has experienced many server merges, I am absolutely against this. A server merge would be detrimental to our community, whether you see it clearly now or not. Like I said in the other forum (in the same debate), a server merge is a step taken before a game dies, to condense and reduce the costs of server upkeep. I refuse to watch this game die at the hands of a few careless people. A channel-merge (on low traffic servers) would provide you the traffic you're looking for. (I'm not a fan of server-cide).

    Mabinogi (whether you realize it or not) is a business. Imagine the lag (speed of movement) if Walmart condensed all of their checkouts (or their bathrooms) into one single super-checkout (or super-bathroom). It would satisfy some people and drive others away. This constant server-merge proposal is no different than that; and the lag (speed of movement) would not be any better.

    I say constant because.. this has been going on since 2009. (This topic is as old as mold and tastes just as bad as it did back then).
    Seriously. Put it into perspective.... If a game (any game) is too populated for a person to log into (at any given moment); they'll play a different game. No one likes to wait in a line, get disconnected a few minutes later, and then wait in line again. ~ It usually goes over like a lead balloon.
    You also have to consider a ton of other things, but I am sick to death of this topic. It would help a lot if the people who keep this topic alive understood what they are asking for (or at least understood the purpose & restraints of a server|channel cluster and the processor it runs in).
    The folks on Tarlach, Mari, and Ruairi would have a much better case (in their favor) if they were all reduced to one channel each and had no visible population. ~ If that were the case; This topic (the eight year-old server merge request from hell) would have an actual leg to stand on.
  • FableAuraFableAura
    Mabinogi Rep: 645
    Posts: 15
    Member
    I like the idea of merging servers - but I voted against it.

    The reason being, the game isn't optimized, and everytime they add new stuff they don't take the time to make sure it is cohesive with old content. The problem becomes, them doubling a server's population without any underlying groundwork being done.

    They are going through content renewals, which is nice, but the base of Mabi needs a facelift. I don't see a server merge fixing any problems, but I definitely see it adding some.
    I would love to see Mabi be more active, but I don't want the game to be crippled in the attempt. There is also the consideration that the server side of Mabi may not even be compatible with newer server technologies, and the load required to get it there might as well result in some form of Mabi2, instead.

    Also, as a former Combat Arms player - I can attest to the success or failure of Nexon related server merges - in that regard, I would absolutely avoid it if at all possible. Server merges, unfortunately, chase away more players than it retains.
    HardmuscleSherri
  • Slash12Slash12
    Mabinogi Rep: 710
    Posts: 2
    Member
    edited August 21, 2017
    i feel like with how much the population of each server has died down a ton over the last few years, it would be good to merge the servers together, so atleast it would feel like the game has a big enough community again. obviously there would be some issues, such as some bad lag initialy, but if you invested in one better server rather than the 4 we have it would fix it. i just hate looking at how low the population for the game is in general, the game used to have sooooo many people running around. finding a party was never difficult, but now i see people begging for help just with a g9 final because theres nobody on the busiest channel at the alter, or they're all afk. its 3:30 am here so i dont have the best thought process and im sure i could think this out better later but i wanted to throw this idea out there
    Arcee