[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Skipping Christmas

CrimsCrims
Mabinogi Rep: 46,235
Posts: 7,064
Member
edited December 6, 2019 in Town Square
Hoarding all the monies so me and my family can finally get ahead. Anyone else skipping christmas or is just generally sick of it?

Comments

  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 22,605
    Posts: 2,648
    Member
    Not me, not yet.

    Not sure ever, really.
    Even barring the gifting aspect, I'd still celebrate it as long as I have family to celebrate it with.

    And although it's not as much as Thanksgiving, but we do still do some extra cooking for Christmas.
    I wouldn't wanna pass on that unless I just couldn't do it that year.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,000
    Posts: 340
    Member
    I don't participate in so-called holidays. When the option is available I just work (well, actually, that is what I historically did).
    I also don't believe in «celebrating» things based solely on a «calendar» schedule.
    I prefer to reserve «rewards» to be reserved for after a certain amount of «productivity» has actually been accomplished.

    If I am participating in such things for some reason it's usually only because there's «Free Food» for me to eat after I had been «invited» by someone.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,030
    Posts: 2,720
    Member
    Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, Christmas is the only thing that makes a month, that would otherwise suck, not suck.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,595
    Posts: 2,450
    Member
    Nope. In fact, my family is gonna have a busier Christmas this year. We're going to my Nana and Papa's for dinner so it'll be super hectic.. I'm not looking forward to it, only because there's going to be uncles, aunts, cousins,.. I hate being around too many people, family being no different.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 43,070
    Posts: 6,260
    Member
    edited December 8, 2019
    I feel like skipping mine too. It's a hassle to decorate home and a tree by now... It takes too much time and i find no joy in it anymore, especially when no one else in home seems to care about it as well. Might get a few gifts for most important people and maybe pay a visit to them as well. I'm just 22 years old and i'm already burned out from this... Kinda sad, mostly because me and my husband are trying to save up some money as best as possible.
    Crims
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,235
    Posts: 7,064
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    I feel like skipping mine too. It's a hassle to decorate home and a tree by now... It takes too much time and i find no joy in it anymore, especially when no one else in home seems to care about it as well. Might get a few gifts for most important people and maybe pay a visit to them as well. I'm just 22 years old and i'm already burned out from this... Kinda sad, mostly because me and my husband are trying to save up some money as best as possible.

    Exactly. Just save your money. 2020 is going to be awful.
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 30,810
    Posts: 7,013
    Member
    Christmas to me is just a day off from work, and this week right in the middle of the week... Wednesday, same for New Years. It will not feel like a holiday at all.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,030
    Posts: 2,720
    Member
    Since, my little brother is 20 now, for Christmas, I bought him a bottle of 12-year-old Glenlivet. Nevermind his face, I can't wait to see my parents faces! Tee hee.
    Kensamaofmari
  • SheenaSheena
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,415
    Posts: 381
    Member
    I will have a nice dinner with my family yes or yes, but i wont buy anything cause i want to get these games next year:

    the last of us 2
    final fantasy 7 remake
    and resident evil 3 remake
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 30,810
    Posts: 7,013
    Member
    10 days until Humbug.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,580
    Posts: 2,733
    Member
    edited December 17, 2019
    I like celebrating Christmas and Halloween. Takes away from the drabness of everyday life, which itself isn't bad. I like the variety of having new things to look out for every new season. The extent to which one celebrates is as much a choice as the one to recognize the holiday. What is important is to not force yourselves to participate if one does not wish to.

    Sure, it is an excuse set on some arbitrary day or days of the year, but that does not mean it is bad. We all need a change of pace every now and then to break the monotony of life, and this comes from someone who spends much of their time learning new languages, exploring, exercising, etc.

    I find money and being productive to be as or perhaps even more meaningless or just as unimportant as the holidays some of you are chastising; We are all going to die someday, so what's the point in working yourselves to unhappiness? If anything, the holiday season is the perfect time to celebrate your gains of this year.

    I like working out and studying because i find meaning in it, and that because I have things I want to do in life before I go, to enjoy it. I do those things because they make me happy and content. Perhaps I am becoming an old man, but much of our pursuits today really don't appeal to me as truly important things to us.

    Let me guys know if ya'll want to see my abdominal progress. I am reaching Ferghus levels of muscle tone.
    Wolfsinger
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,630
    Posts: 1,111
    Member
    I'd join for food, I guess.

    But I sure do get tired of dealing with gifts. Doesn't help when your siblings spits out kids, and suddenly you got more financial responsibilities than you asked for.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 30,810
    Posts: 7,013
    Member
    7 days until Humbug
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,030
    Posts: 2,720
    Member
    7 days until Humbug

    Not unless you're orthodox.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 30,810
    Posts: 7,013
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    7 days until Humbug

    Not unless you're orthodox.

    Indeed
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,030
    Posts: 2,720
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    7 days until Humbug

    Not unless you're orthodox.

    Indeed

    Indiddly Doo!
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,375
    Posts: 868
    Member
    I love holidays and I love celebrating christmas.
    However this year sadly my family are not celebrating christmas because we are moving house. (We just got the keys to the new house today and fully move in on saturday)
    As sad as I am about it, moving into this new house opens up the path for a better year coming forward.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,630
    Posts: 1,111
    Member
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    I love holidays and I love celebrating christmas.
    However this year sadly my family are not celebrating christmas because we are moving house. (We just got the keys to the new house today and fully move in on saturday)
    As sad as I am about it, moving into this new house opens up the path for a better year coming forward.

    Well, combine move-in party with late christmas? :v
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 30,810
    Posts: 7,013
    Member
    TNinja wrote: »
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    I love holidays and I love celebrating christmas.
    However this year sadly my family are not celebrating christmas because we are moving house. (We just got the keys to the new house today and fully move in on saturday)
    As sad as I am about it, moving into this new house opens up the path for a better year coming forward.

    Well, combine move-in party with late christmas? :v

    I think a new house is enough reason for celebration itself, although it would be hectic.