Check out the patch notes for the July 16th update, P.E.T. Part 1: http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/23332/
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

PSA : How to tell if you need to re-start client..

HabimaruHabimaru
Mabinogi Rep: 2,600
Posts: 590
Member
in General Chat
The most-consistent indicator is shop-position. If you open a shop, whether from NPC or Partner or Food-Truck or otherwise, you don't need to worry about crashing with the Out-of-Memory pseudo-error upon zoning to/from missions/dungeons/continent-warp/etc. If, how-ever, the shop-position is showing up more towards the middle-ish (kind of slightly upper-left middle-ish of screen) then you will want to re-start your client until the shop-window displays back at its default top-right-of-screen location.

You will save yourself lots of having to re-do hot-keys and things of that nature if you re-start upon the warning signs before risking losing progress.

Comments

  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,370
    Posts: 633
    Member
    Or just reboot every few hours, or before doing something important.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,745
    Posts: 1,226
    Member
    edited January 13
    I just relog every time I touch anything in my pet's inv, don't want to have those items disappear on me again.

    Servers are wonky, laggy, and painfully stressful.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 48,730
    Posts: 7,465
    Member
    What's going on? Is this something that started today?
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,600
    Posts: 590
    Member
    No, it's been an on-going thing, that, for as far as I can tell, has been client-specific. How-ever, many people still do not seem to yet be aware of the warning symptoms, but those who shut down & re-start everything within every few hours typically shouldn't run into this issue. Those who run their systems 24/7 or close or equivalent to it or are active for many hours non-stop will probably want to know this if they haven't identified it already in order to avoid client-crashes (not related to server-crashes [probably] which I believe is/are more likely due to some kind of time-out latency issue that may have a similar affect to that Abnormal-Disconnection error).
    Crims wrote: »
    What's going on? Is this something that started today?
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 17,355
    Posts: 2,573
    Member
    If I stay in one place for a long time, such as fishing or playing music for 50 minutes (looking at you, Snowflower Tree event..), my client tends to get really wonky, especially depending on how long I'm sitting there for.
    It gets to the point where if I move my camera around the FPS tanks. Especially if I go to somewhere with people, like Dunbarton. I could walk in kind of fine but as soon as it loads up people, it freezes for a few seconds just to load them in.
    The worst it's ever happened is when I had to visit my grandparents and I came back, I couldn't move an inch without my client not responding. It was a struggle to even close my client.

    Yes, I use Steam to play Mabinogi, so that is most likely the issue, but I like to use Steam for my games. :/
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 48,730
    Posts: 7,465
    Member
    edited January 13
    Habimaru wrote: »
    No, it's been an on-going thing, that, for as far as I can tell, has been client-specific. How-ever, many people still do not seem to yet be aware of the warning symptoms, but those who shut down & re-start everything within every few hours typically shouldn't run into this issue. Those who run their systems 24/7 or close or equivalent to it or are active for many hours non-stop will probably want to know this if they haven't identified it already in order to avoid client-crashes (not related to server-crashes [probably] which I believe is/are more likely due to some kind of time-out latency issue that may have a similar affect to that Abnormal-Disconnection error).
    Crims wrote: »
    What's going on? Is this something that started today?

    I don't have these problems. Yall need to do something something. iykwim. Or get better computers, I have both. Every time they perform an update it adds more code to an already unstable game. Your outdated computers and connections...stop kidding yourselves. Yes it does matter. Every time they do an update it matters even more.

    This game is a mutant onion.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,600
    Posts: 590
    Member
    What... I already have 32GB DDR3 SD-RAM on my system (both of my currently assembled Desk-Top PCs). Yes, I am aware that DDR4 exists, and that there are literal Gaming Laptops that have 128GB RAM, but I am far too much of a frugal cheap-skate to play the «Jones'» game...
    Crims wrote: »
    Habimaru wrote: »
    No, it's been an on-going thing, that, for as far as I can tell, has been client-specific. How-ever, many people still do not seem to yet be aware of the warning symptoms, but those who shut down & re-start everything within every few hours typically shouldn't run into this issue. Those who run their systems 24/7 or close or equivalent to it or are active for many hours non-stop will probably want to know this if they haven't identified it already in order to avoid client-crashes (not related to server-crashes [probably] which I believe is/are more likely due to some kind of time-out latency issue that may have a similar affect to that Abnormal-Disconnection error).
    Crims wrote: »
    What's going on? Is this something that started today?
    I don't have these problems. Yall need to do something something. iykwim. Or get better computers, I have both. Every time they perform an update it adds more code to an already unstable game. Your outdated computers and connections...stop kidding yourselves. Yes it does matter. Every time they do an update it matters even more.

    This game is a mutant onion.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,055
    Posts: 511
    Member
    I haven't noticed the shop position moving around, but I do run mabi for days at a time, sometimes for shops and whatnot. Generally I know it's coming when the textures won't refresh properly.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,230
    Posts: 232
    Member
    Habimaru wrote: »
    shop-position

    Unrelated again, it only moves if you move it.
    Habimaru wrote: »
    What... I already have 32GB DDR3 SD-RAM on my system (both of my currently assembled Desk-Top PCs). Yes, I am aware that DDR4 exists, and that there are literal Gaming Laptops that have 128GB RAM, but I am far too much of a frugal cheap-skate to play the «Jones'» game...

    I told you in the other thread the client is a 32 bit executable it doesn't matter what your total system memory is it will crash around 3.3~GB of RAM usage give or take and creep closer to that the more characters, maps, and inventory sprites you load because the garbage collection isn't working.
    It doesn't matter if you have 32GB of cheap second hand Xeon server ram or 4TB of business expense like my dual EPYC 7601 workstation, the Mabinogi client is a 32 bit application and is subject to the limitations that come with that fact.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,600
    Posts: 590
    Member
    Alas, I must beg to differ on this, for the window-position when opening NPC shop does change on me even when I have not altered the window positioning, but usually not until after multiple zone-loadings, channel-changes, or just leaving the client running, particularly when many other characters have also been on the screen (such as market-Dunbarton or Event-Busy-Channel-Fishing). If it makes any difference, it happens for sure on my first Windows 10 system, but I cannot video-record evidence of it right now, due to being on a trip and at an airport at the moment; how-ever, I can try it on my newest laptop after I land and have settled somewhere where I got enough time to do some testing, and I suspect that I can speed up and expedite what I am referring to by spamming a bunches of channel changes and zoning and continent-warps and re-opening Laighlinne's shop until you can see it for yourself.

    I have no objections to the rest of your message and I guess we just have to live with it until some sort of Miracle Mandela Effect occurs where the Mabi-client is suddenly 64-bit (and stranger things than even that have actually happened so I won't dismiss it into the realm of impossibility).
    Lutetium wrote: »
    Habimaru wrote: »
    shop-position
    Unrelated again, it only moves if you move it.
  • MabiIn2k19MabiIn2k19
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,390
    Posts: 75
    Member
    Lutetium wrote: »
    Habimaru wrote: »
    shop-position

    Unrelated again, it only moves if you move it.
    Habimaru wrote: »
    What... I already have 32GB DDR3 SD-RAM on my system (both of my currently assembled Desk-Top PCs). Yes, I am aware that DDR4 exists, and that there are literal Gaming Laptops that have 128GB RAM, but I am far too much of a frugal cheap-skate to play the «Jones'» game...

    I told you in the other thread the client is a 32 bit executable it doesn't matter what your total system memory is it will crash around 3.3~GB of RAM usage give or take and creep closer to that the more characters, maps, and inventory sprites you load because the garbage collection isn't working.
    It doesn't matter if you have 32GB of cheap second hand Xeon server ram or 4TB of business expense like my dual EPYC 7601 workstation, the Mabinogi client is a 32 bit application and is subject to the limitations that come with that fact.

    Don't waste your time trying to argue with him, he'll just hit you with 17 paragraph reply on how people interact or some garbage, and totally deflect the whole argument. Didn't you know, his personal anecdote means human archery is better than elf archery? Obviously by this statement you know his personal anecdote has perfect <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<accur acy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ignoring the hard set limitations of computing
    GretaLutetiumTwelieChaosShadow
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 48,730
    Posts: 7,465
    Member
    I don't understand the running of mabi for days on end...
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,745
    Posts: 1,226
    Member
    I only understand one thing, Mabi Logic.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,230
    Posts: 232
    Member
    Crims wrote: »
    I don't understand the running of mabi for days on end...
    Some people own desktop computers. A few people like myself have systems dedicated to running games separate from their workstations and want to be able to play when they switch their monitors input instead of spend 10+ mins turning on a system from cold boot, waiting on windows, waiting on nexon launcher, waiting on mabi's initial load, slogging through secondary password entry, waiting on 100+ characters to load (even when you filter it to 1 favorite), waiting on world entry and map texture loading, and the eventual waiting on inventory sprites to load before finally being able to actually do content.
    I tend to play sporadically through the week as I have the time so it's much more efficient to be able to switch inputs and have the game loaded up and ready to play instead of having to jump through hoops and do 12 backflips off a bunkbed first before I can get on the game and run epstien didn't kill himself.
    MabiIn2k19 wrote: »
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<accur acy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Based red pilled and upcoommied.
    Sherri