Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Buff life skills to have continued viability

AlshianAlshian
Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
edited January 25, 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions
So yes we have loads of combat skills, and it appears we have more content on the combat field but what about the old rusted life skills? Looking at cooking, Tailoring, Blacksmithing, Potion making, and Construct Alchemy.

We need a buff on foods in general, most players are nearing the Cap in Stats and foods can't bypass the cap like Echostones, totems, and Shine of Eweca. Even something like the catering skill is becoming more worthless only to be useful for mainly stats like WILL/LUCK/HP/MP/STAM.

When will we get a real buff or rework on life skills? Because once the players had done what was there to be done what is keeping them around longer? Life skills? no, not for too long for how little it serves while becoming a waste of your time when you realize you will likely never use it again because there is no real need in the long run.

LutetiumKensamaofmari

Comments

• LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    This thread needs more attention, the "Fantasy Life" is 98% combat right now and 2% making highball caters before you do combat because they add flat max and bypass cater being subject to the tiny 1500 stat cap.

We need way more craftables, especially clothing, hats, gloves, and shoes as those sort of items are almost exclusively low poly items from G1 or locked behind gachapons, why did we put so much effort into weaving and tailoring just to be unable to craft a cute dress? At the very least adding a few hundred new Tailoring patterns for some of the newer clothing would be nice.

Weapon crafting could use a LOT more weapons akin to the Revenant and Perseus lines with their skill boosting set effects, but they could be more varied and have different advantages and disadvantages for different use cases to allow more interesting builds for example; A Shuriken that boosts the charge speed and reduces the cooldown of Shuriken Charge and boosts the duration of Shadow Bind but also reduces the AoE of Kunai Storm and removes a mine from Explosive Kunai's count. A Gun that adds a splash damage to Flash Launcher and cuts it's cooldown and boosts the range and target cap of Bullet Storm but reduces Shooting Rush AoE and raises it's cooldown. But on the other hand weapons specialized with the inverse effects could also exist, making a larger demand for crafting these various weapons along with having a side effect of making combat play more interesting.

Farming skills could also become a thing, allowing players to grow new food items to augment the cooking and catering skills or new crafting materials like cotton to further enrich weaving and tailoring, or maybe even something like growing magic imbued vines to use as a bowstring to create a new bow with magic craft, and replace the horrible Taillteann farm system along with adding more potential homestead content and maybe even a reason to add some farmland into the barren wasteland that is Iria as well, perhaps even having a commerce-like system for selling crops in different towns which could unlock special items from NPCs depending on how many of a certain material or product the players have sold in that town, perhaps unique food dishes from each chef NPC or unique clothing from Tailor NPCs to give them a bit more "life" as crafters as well as the players.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head though, I hope more people will contribute to this thread and maybe we can get some actual attention from Devcat giving them ideas.
    KensamaofmariArrived
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I don't have many ideas for other skills, but I'd like Herbalism and Potion Making to be added onto as well.
    Like adding patches for other herbs in homesteads, though mostly Four Leaf Clovers.
    They are a chore to gather, and ingredients for recovery potions literally cannot be allowed to be a chore to make, as potions are made to be consumed.
    You can't have a recovery item and have it be like "Well, this was annoying to make, so I'll just stick to my 300pt potions...".
    Which is a shame, because they added recipes for RE potions, but no one really makes them due to Clovers being unreliable to obtain from sources (Clover Pets or Flower Patches) or too slow to be practical (Synthesis).
    Being able to add Clover patches to your homestead would really make these more viable. They're probably stick to the normal "30 things to make a gathering node" that they've done for every herb (and mushroom) patch so far.

Also new craftable potions would be nice. Comprehensive HP 500/1000 potion were a neat idea, but as toxic as they are, they're night unusable if you use a weapon tied to Will or Int.
    Then there are the Comprehensive Recovery 500/1000 that plain aren't craftable and are only obtained through Fleta (500) or Healer PTJ (1,000).
    While I guess the 1,000s being available from PTJ gives the jobs themselves some more value, the amount you get from the job doesn't scale with job level (1 potion per job at Basic and still 1 per job at Adv).
    Letting Potion Making be used to upgrade these aforementioned potions into more useable RE versions would be nice.

Also, maybe it's just because they were cute, but the Empty Chest quest you do for Fleta had a unique-looking herb, but it's only used for that quest, and that's it.
    I'm talking about the "Angelic Herb". Just going by the name, they could be used in something interesting.
    Like what if you could use that to make some kind of improved Phoenix Feather, one capable of reviving someone with Full HP/MP/SP, similar to the old SAO-crossover-event-only Pneuma Flower.

There's also the St. John's Wort from that quest which states its use for medicinal purposes.
    That quest also has the Peppermint, but maybe that'd be more useful for Cooking.
    Kensamaofmari
  • ZandethZandeth
    Mabinogi Rep: 515
    I agree to everything here. I focused heavily on life skills when starting, mastering both cooking and blacksmithing early, and then barely used either when combat became a bigger focus because all the best gear and such were from gachas or just insanely difficult to craft and then outdone a patch later. I could parrot what everyone else mentioned regarding Potion-Making and Cooking, but they worded it much better than I could. So I'll more air my grievances with how Hillwen Engineering and Magic Craft's state is currently.

I wish Hillwen and Magic Craft had more recipes that revolved around themselves instead of purely raids. There's also just no life in these two regions anymore. Injecting some new, more broader recipes could potentially revitalize the two areas. Like perhaps adding an Alchemist section to Shyllien for people to craft Cylinders, Guard Cylinders, Tower Cylinders, crystals, etc. Or include puppets for Puppetry in Hillwen. Have these recipes require not only old mats, but also new mats added to the regions so players can't just Adventurer Seal their problems away.

I get why that Hillwen has less overall use compared to Magic Craft since the very concept of engineering is more of a branch of blacksmithing, so things like swords and such are better off at a blacksmith, but puppets are intricate like machinery. They could also just easily drop a Hillwen NPC at Huw's place acting as a sort of "hey I introduced Hillwen Engineering to this man Huw and now we're using it to make puppets, wanna join?" type element.

I dunno, I just want more use out of this life skill that took me literal years to train.
    KensamaofmariArrived
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Devcat can revitalize the playerbase by giving them something to stick around for while waiting for future contents, raids after raids, shadow missions after shadow missions, dungeons after dungeons, tech duin after tech duin they kill our souls over time and we would like to at least do something else for a change like maybe doing something less combat related and perhaps more on the life side of Mabinogi.

Alas the life content of Mabinogi is hallow and bland, you can say the game is just old but that can't be an excuse for trying to give it some fresh air to breath in instead of an ever growing mold into the content.

Mabinogi was all about fantasy life/ Anime Life but what is the point of putting in the world Life if nearly everything about it is pointless when 95% of our time is just combat, slaughter, destruction, and annihilation.

You done well to add in the combat content, now please bring in "viable" life content that is not TOO much of a pain to do. Make other old life skills Viable, give them usefulness instead of just Stat fodders to be forgotten because they died on arrival.
    Arrived
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Make Life Skills Relevant Again
    LutetiumArrivedAlexLight