Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

JoJo's Bizarre Name Censor

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Sebastian wrote: »
    The ticket was last updated yesterday although no actual message was included.

Am confusion.

Oh great an encrypted response.
    Sebastian
  • CatheCathe
    Mabinogi Rep: 735
    My entirely uneducated guess is that it's because "Zeni" is Japanese for "Money". There are a lot of odd terms that got blocked because they are slang in other languages. And others than make no sense. I believe for the longest time "bastard" was a no no despite there being a "Bastard Sword" in the game.

My guess is maybe it had to do with knocking out a common RMT term in a name? I dunno. I haven't had coffee today yet.
    Sherri
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    Cathe wrote: »
    My entirely uneducated guess is that it's because "Zeni" is Japanese for "Money". There are a lot of odd terms that got blocked because they are slang in other languages. And others than make no sense. I believe for the longest time "bastard" was a no no despite there being a "Bastard Sword" in the game.

My guess is maybe it had to do with knocking out a common RMT term in a name? I dunno. I haven't had coffee today yet.

I thought that might be the case as well, but other names including currency are currently in use by characters (Dollar and Peso were my examples earlier in the thread, iirc)
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    edited March 3, 2020
    Cathe wrote: »

Reminds me, I once tried telling a friend I was going in the shower, in French. Now the French word for shower is "douche". Different pronunciation of course. It kept getting censored in game and, at the time, I didn't understand why (English is our 2nd language). Made for a pretty funny moment trying to spell shower in two sentences. "I'm gonna go in the sho *enter* wer"

b2154e2915.jpg
    Sherri
    Wait zeni is money in Japanese? I thought kane or okane was money.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Update to the ticket 20 minutes ago, no message once again
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited March 4, 2020

MOCNiiS
  • SebastianSebastian
    edited March 4, 2020
    Crims wrote: »

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.jpg

Really don't know what takes so long to confirm a names' validity. Guessing it's taking the team a while to figure out why it was actually censored.
    Someone with Alexa should ask it and see what happens.
  • SebastianSebastian

Mine spontaneously combusted
    KensamaofmariRimbaud

Mine spontaneously combusted

RIP
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    MOCNiiS.gif
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Both mean money but the Z-version is mostly pre-World-War usage... more info here if you can read Russian...
    Or German (Deutsch) or Swedish (Svenska) or Japanese (日本語) or Chinese (中文). No, there isn't an English-language entry for this one.
    Wait zeni is money in Japanese? I thought kane or okane was money.
  • SebastianSebastian
    edited March 4, 2020
    mSZxkr4.png

They updated the reason, lol. And my ticket still hasn't been replied to. I guess that's Nexon for you. Unless they're "saving" it for me now (which I highly doubt) it seems they just changed their reasoning rather than properly explaining why to me. Livid.
    Sherri
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    r0hKnv3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    SebastianTiroRimbaudSherri
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Ooooh

They've got a secret reason for blocking the name

Now I'm even more curious tbh
  • SebastianSebastian
    Eralea wrote: »
    Ooooh

They've got a secret reason for blocking the name

Now I'm even more curious tbh

Yeah, especially if they have to go and change the whole pop-up for it.

...at least I can say I've had some sort of influence over Nexon changing things?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    A GM liked this name and reserved it before you.
    CrimsọnHabimaruSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    mSZxkr4.png

They updated the reason, lol. And my ticket still hasn't been replied to. I guess that's Nexon for you. Unless they're "saving" it for me now (which I highly doubt) it seems they just changed their reasoning rather than properly explaining why to me. Livid.

Wait wait wait. Let's see what happens during this maintenance.
  • SebastianSebastian
    edited March 5, 2020
    Crims wrote: »
    mSZxkr4.png

Wait wait wait. Let's see what happens during this maintenance.

Pretty sure nothing. If something were going to happen they likely would've addressed it in my ticket.

I also can't even reach the support site when logged in on my laptop, only on my phone.