Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

An enxpanded Sailing Feature

PyrrusPyrrus
Mabinogi Rep: 575
in Feedback and Suggestions
A new commerce update has already be discussed, this is not that.

Where to go to start sailing/destinations?
Port Ceann and Port Cobh in Uladh, Belvast, Port Qilla, Rano Beach. Possibly the various beaches of Iria and Belvast.
Possibly new destinations in the ocean, for example small islands that you would land on similarly to other ports, just like Rano.

How much freedom of movement would you get?
A large area, hopefully as large as the Muyu or Longa Deserts. Possibly being able to sail the coast of Iria, Belvast, and parts of Uladh. Deep sea sailing would not be possible, sailing to and from Uladh, Balvast, and Iria would be achieved by approaching a fast warp area, which would take you to the sea zone outside of Uladh or Iria for example.

How would you do the sailing?
It would be similar to rafting, with left and right controls as well as being able to set how much sail is lowered. Wind directions would be consistent to which day it is in real life or possibly what time it is in game. Another option could be point and click, similar to hot air ballooning.

Would ship to ship combat be possible?
I doubt it, as the types of ships I'm imagining would be the small single sail rafts that you use to go to and from the fishing boat off of Rano beach. Maybe the same type of ship but they would be more detailed, with fishing nets and cargo.
That being said, a brand new combat sequence could be played, or you could be captured by pirates and the player would fight his/her way out using the normal combat methods. Drive by shooting just like rafting with the use of shield skills, though I think it would be a poor option as many people already dont have fun with that. Cannons on the other hand could change that. I think combat would most be boarding actions and would be the normal combat that were used to.

Would you be able to fish?
Yes but only near land, or near river openings. Possibly through the use of a net, while on the move.

Would pets play a role in the sailing experience?
Yes, for example, they would give you faster acceleration, steering, anchoring, along with the increased auto-fishing rate which is already given to you by seals. Possibly a wider search area for artifact investigation for waterborne or flying pets.

How would you make it fun?
Tough question, freedom of movement, ship borne issues happening for example: leaks, rats consuming previously caught fish, pirate NPCs, sea monsters could all make it entertaining, along with the addition of new daily quests and merchant options for example hunting pirates similar to hunting bandits on land. New materials for crafting weapons and new types of weapons, harpoons for example.

Additional ideas along with the implementation of sailing.

An aforementioned Commerce update, along with additions to the fishing journal, cooking journal, and animal taming. New types of artifacts from artifact investigation. New types of waterborne pets could be added the game shop, though summoning them would be a problem on land.

Could you craft ship parts?
Sails?
Rudder/Steering Wheel?
Would mechanical parts be a part? engines for example
Weaponry if ship-ship combat is implemented?

Could you use magic/ new skills to enhance your sailing ability?
Water/Wind alchemy?
Ice/Lightning Magic?
Hillwen Engineering?
Ship Handling Skills? (for more responsive steering and acceleration)
A new Shipwright crafting skill? (I believe a new crating skill would not be necessary as handicraft or hillwen engineering would be sufficient)

Overall, I would have high hopes but when it comes down to reality, I doubt sailing would be well received as most players crave convenience and sailing would only get in the way of that or be a neglected feature similar to air ballooning. IF it's ever added i would imagine it would be a huge update similar to a new generation worth of content, or are the very least a hot air-balloon type of update with only the basics there.

If you guys have anything to add, or better ideas, please comment :)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Pyrrus wrote: »
    Would ship to ship combat be possible?
    I doubt it, as the types of ships I'm imagining would be the small single sail rafts that you use to go to and from the fishing boat off of Rano beach. Maybe the same type of ship but they would be more detailed, with fishing nets and cargo.
    That being said, a brand new combat sequence could be played, or you could be captured by pirates and the player would fight his/her way out using the normal combat methods. Drive by shooting just like rafting with the use of shield skills, though I think it would be a poor option as many people already dont have fun with that. Cannons on the other hand could change that. I think combat would most be boarding actions and would be the normal combat that were used to.

It would be totally doable. The code to make it happen already exists in-game. It would have to be cobbled together, of course, but it's fully doable.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    if something like this was made similar to rafting maybe add some monsters or bandits on the sides to fight. could also have Sahagin monsters jump directly onto your ship since they are fish and probably good swimmers. we should have different kinds of ships like start out with a small 1 player ship and slowly get access to others. if Iria ever gets commerce it would be great if we could get a ship that carries commerce goods. bigger ships could hold up to 8 players and players will have to decide who steers the ship and who fights and defends it similar to rafting and using a hot air balloon. it sounds like it would just be a laggy mess if we had a 10 or 20 different player ships on the map and besides this is a mmo so players should be encouraged to work together more which is why I think a big ship managed by a party of players would be better then a bunch of little ships all over the place.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Ship vs ship PvP? Does not necessarily have to be just boarding action?

How about purchasing ships, either stock, or start with a shell that you outfit and also have upgrades for them. It could be a new source of revenue for Nexon with premium stuff.
  • ZhuoZhuo
    Mabinogi Rep: 420
    edited April 15, 2020
    It'll be nice if we could build our own ships, and kinda work our way up. Especially with alot of customization ($$$$ nexon)

It could help us expand the Mercantile system, allowing us to trade with Iria, or random Island bound people in the ocean. There could be pirate attacks, allowing maybe stronger bandits for bounty hunters to hunt. (Clear a ship instead of a homestead, and get some loot out of it.)

Could also mean a new era of exploration, fishing , maybe new craftable more foreign looking clothing from traveling merchants in other ships, or treasures dug up on islands. Fishing can give new items, fishes maybe even special sea monsters to fish up and fight

We could also have unique dungeons to be found out at sea. Maybe a cartography skill that can be used to mark down special areas on the mini maps.

Big guild ships would be nice , maybe to allow gigantic commerce parties, to help people connect a bit more.

Pvp would be fun in general , we already have the hot air balloons ballista, tower cylinders etc. That can help form the ships weapons system.
  • KingEphyKingEphy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    Hm... an interesting idea, indeed.

If it gets added, would Annick become relevant again...? or possibly have Tamon play a role somehow? (and get an NPC portrait AND her own theme?!)

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Most importantly, reopen Port Ceann as a proper port.

By expanding the game to sea, perhaps they can enhance commerce and exploration.

Any potential new areas such as potentially western Uladh should be enabled to make this happen.
  • HelsaHelsa

By expanding the game to sea, perhaps they can enhance commerce and exploration.

Any potential new areas such as potentially western Uladh should be enabled to make this happen.

If Western Uladh is "Fomor Country" then an urbanized Port Ceann could serve as the main naval base of the Aliech Kingdom. Throw in pirates as well, and you can introduce a whole new set of skills and talents.
    Helsa wrote: »

If Western Uladh is "Fomor Country" then an urbanized Port Ceann could serve as the main naval base of the Aliech Kingdom. Throw in pirates as well, and you can introduce a whole new set of skills and talents.

It's funny that they never explained where the Fomorians came from in the game. They talk about the events that led to the various conflicts with Fomorians and even Fomorians making peace and living together with everyone. But where do they come from?

There's so much more that we do not know and so much more potential in further expansion of the game. I say we go westward, go southward and go northward to explore the unknowns of Udlah! Until we fall off the world map!
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited April 30, 2020
    I seem to recall that they actually come from the dungeons and that the Goddess Statues are Talismen or Fetishes keeping the portal to their home closed.
    Helsa wrote: »
    I seem to recall that they actually come from the dungeons and that the Goddess Statues are Talismen or Fetishes keeping the portal to their home closed.

No, I'm pretty sure they're on the continent and they make use of dungeons as portals of travel when Morrighan was sealed.
    Humans built dungeons (rath) originally to confuse and trap Fomors. They were a defense system.

When humans stopped maintaining and building them, Fomors infested them. That's why dungeons look like ruins.

And they are further neglected after the Human-Fomorian conflicts.