Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Unpopular Opinion: Cancel the Legendary Item Event

Comments

• AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    -Are you a robot?

"No banned for racism!"
  • DragoneartusDragoneartus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,240
    edited April 13, 2020
    Sebastian wrote: »

And the people alting for as long as they have been, probably still don't do anything for their alts. They're just used for enter events or selling/etc. That's why you see all those egg boi's at every event that gives away stuff lol.

A lot of your counterarguments rely way too heavily on probability when we've seen these kinds of individuals prove time and time again that they'll do whatever they need to in order to gain advantages in scenarios like these.

People are persistent, and they've proven to be persistent enough. If they weren't we wouldn't have issues like these. Yes there are alts that have nearly no levels, but there are still a large amount of people who level alts when they're bored of their mains. I know people that have done this. The difference from them is they know abusing it for events is scummy.

If it's on a matter of relying, since you want to go by that logic, then I wouldn't be the only one who's relying on something, like saying these people are that persistent..for no word here can be taken as any real truth. But sitting here and saying it like there is truth and that it is how it is, is a bit baffling. Which is why I talk the way that I do. Because no one can be really sure.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    edited April 13, 2020

And the people alting for as long as they have been, probably still don't do anything for their alts. They're just used for enter events or selling/etc. That's why you see all those egg boi's at every event that gives away stuff lol.

A lot of your counterarguments rely way too heavily on probability when we've seen these kinds of individuals prove time and time again that they'll do whatever they need to in order to gain advantages in scenarios like these.

People are persistent, and they've proven to be persistent enough. If they weren't we wouldn't have issues like these. Yes there are alts that have nearly no levels, but there are still a large amount of people who level alts when they're bored of their mains. I know people that have done this. The difference from them is they know abusing it for events is scummy.

If it's on a matter of relying, since you want to go by that logic, then I wouldn't be the only one who's relying on something, like saying these people are that persistent..for no word here can be taken as any real truth. But sitting here and saying it like there is truth and that it is how it is, is a bit baffling. Which is why I talk the way that I do.

The difference being that there is sufficient enough evidence to deduce that people have been doing this for years. Ask any player who has been around long enough. That's the reason I'm stuck on you saying they "probably" won't continue. Because they have.

This issue has come up countless times, for countless years, and for countless events. They even imposed certain total levels being required at some point, which the alts surpassed.
    Nilrem

If it's on a matter of relying, since you want to go by that logic, then I wouldn't be the only one who's relying on something, like saying these people are that persistent..for no word here can be taken as any real truth. But sitting here and saying it like there is truth and that it is how it is, is a bit baffling. Which is why I talk the way that I do.

The difference being that there is sufficient enough evidence to deduce that people have been doing this for years. Ask any player who has been around long enough. That's the reason I'm stuck on you saying they "probably" won't continue. Because they have.

I'm aware as I have also played for years, but I've never seen these alts go beyond eggs myself. So I am assuming that most of them don't do anything with them. There will always be someone or some people that will always be persistent, but like I said again my idea isn't going to get rid of all of them, but is still better than nothing. I don't really think that items being bounded to the account forever isn't the best idea and I've already explained why here.
  • SebastianSebastian
    edited April 13, 2020

I'm aware as I have also played for years, but I've never seen these alts go beyond eggs myself. So I am assuming that most of them don't do anything with them. There will always be someone or some people that will always be persistent, but like I said again my idea isn't going to get rid of all of them, but is still better than nothing. I don't really think that items being bounded to the account forever isn't the best idea and I've already explained why here.

It's because by now, they look somewhat similar to what a normal player would look like. Alts aren't just 'P261784618' or 'name#0020' or eggs.
    Nilrem

It's because by now, they look somewhat similar to what a normal player would look like.

better than a egg that looks like a freshly made alt account wearing noob clothes.
  • SebastianSebastian
    edited April 13, 2020

better than a egg that looks like a freshly made alt account wearing noob clothes.

Is it though, if their goal is the same? Looks don't change legitimacy. And dismissing them simply because they don't fall into this strict image of alts isn't going to lessen the problem. It's not that easy to regulate. Otherwise, again, this wouldn't be an issue.

Perhaps that's the reason you never see them go beyond eggs, because you believe it's better if they don't have them.
    NilremServilliusPlatinaKoki
    edited April 13, 2020

Is it though, if their goal is the same? Looks don't change legitimacy.

Well just saying, at-least they're putting work into it. I still see a-lot of eggs in noob clothes at events. In the end the events aren't going to be able to stop the persistent ones, It's just going to be like that. Anything is better than a wide open event that lets anything abuse it though. It doesn't have any drawbacks and will effectively cut out a number of them.

Bounding the item isn't a bad idea, but could have drawbacks and situations that make it sucky. <.< anything could happen really if you want to ignore these are understate them or dismiss them go on ahead, you do you, but that's what I think.
  • SebastianSebastian
    edited April 13, 2020

Well just saying, at-least they're putting work into it.

Yeah, about the two hours worth of script binding needed to write an input list in a bot program to full clear memoirs.
    Nilrem
    edited April 13, 2020

Yeah, about the two hours worth of script binding needed to write an input list in a bot program to full clear memoirs.

There's a big difference though, most people can't or don't know how to script or wouldn't bother with such a thing. <.< The people that do that sort of thing are not common people, and are definitely not a majority of the multi clienters. Like I said I didn't say my idea would get rid of all of them. But It's better than doing nothing. It's just an idea to throw out there.
  • SebastianSebastian
    edited April 13, 2020

There's a big difference though, most people can't or don't know how to script or wouldn't bother with such a thing. <.< The people that do that sort of thing are not common people, and are definitely not a majority of the multi clienters. Like I said I didn't say my idea would get rid of all of them. But It's better than doing nothing. It's just an idea to throw out there.

Who is to say they aren't the same people? In a game with less than stellar population counts, "common people" isn't the common of other games.

That's really all I have left to say about this.
  • TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    edited April 13, 2020
    There is no way to stop people from using alts. But, the issue isn't people having alts. The issue is alts providing a tremendous benefit during events (and some content). At least for events, the problem could be solved if events were designed which didn't have any benefit from alts. I'm sorry to say, everyone, that this would eliminate many of the afk and login events. However, there are plenty of other event categories which would work well:

Events which benefit the player directly without rewarding items.
    Double rainbow is a great example of this, but there are others. Exceptions to standard game rules, like the enchant helper, are often very appreciated. Titles can be awarded directly to players without the need for an item, such as Black Dragon's Honor Guard and April Fool's Detective.

Events which reward the players with items which can't be traded. (Not personalized)
    There are already plenty of event rewards that can't be traded. I know many people are only motivated by money, but having a variety of selectable prizes helps people get what they want, even if it's not cash. Several events in the past have had coin shops (some with nicer stuff than others) where players could collect the rewards they want, even if they can't sell them. Not every event will give every player the exact item they want though. That's normal.

Events which reward the effort put into them
    While it's true alts can become strong, an event which rewards defeating powerful monsters wouldn't be a problem, in this respect, because of the effort needed by the player to accomplish a goal. It's inherently different from simply logging in to collect free items and then logging back out. The same could be said for crafting. Requiring players to craft advanced items to show off their crafting abilities is something that could be rewarded. Note that I'm referring to higher rank items, and not just rank F handicraft as many events use. Any event where items have to be submitted to claim prizes would be acceptable, as there's a cost with each submission. An example would be, for instance, gathering a stack of every kind of herb and turning them in for a reward, or bringing an NPC a stack of iron ore and some firewood for some ridiculous plot.

Events which require any amount of interaction beyond an auto-clicker
    As long as an event keeps players engaged and actively doing things, alts won't benefit from it. Have players visit various NPCs, run solo missions/dungeons, almost anything other than afk.

Lastly and most importantly, I feel like there's heavy pressure to make events newbie friendly, which usually ends up with something that alts can abuse. So, I'll finish with this: Events don't need to be 100% newbie friendly. Some can have rewards scale with achievement. Newbies don't need 100m rewards anyway, they'll be satisfied with a medium bag or 50 AP potion. Events are best when they require, and reward, action by players.

I know this really isn't the place for suggestions, but it's getting some attention. I'll try to post simple but engaging event ideas in a proper suggestion thread at a later time, with hopes that the right people eventually see them.
    SebastianDragoneartusNilremCMKyriosChaosShadowAlshianServilliusRadiant DawnWolfsingerSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Item bound to character will fix this real fast. It will make people not even bother with alts.
    SebastianNilremHabimaruAlshianRadiant DawnKingEphySherri
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Obviously, the solution to prevent alt spammers and bots from getting the sword is to make new accounts ourselves and outcompete them!
    ChaosShadowRadiant DawnWolfsinger
  • KisarayaKisaraya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    Honestly, I just wish these items were not so difficult to obtain. I've mentioned it before but having to run a dungeon 30 times with a group of 8 people just to get 1 skill book. Or if you don't have friends, be required to run that dungeon forever. I wish you would implement a system where if you run a dungeon you get points for that dungeon. You trade those points for rewards from that dungeon.

Gachas too. Like Shy's system (open X gacha, you get points). Then for events like this have certain items drop in certain dungeons, or have bonuses on the points you get.

Its 2020. Why are we requiring anyone to run a dungeon hundreds of times just to get a chance to get an item? I think that's why people are so salty now. Let's imagine you've done all the content, raids, elite dungeons, farming dungeons for materials for the last two years and you still don't have what you want on your character. We're talking playing for six hours or more each day per character. When an event comes along like this one, people see it as an opportunity to finally make their character the way they want to.

Is it ethical? No. But Nexon, you created this situation. You popularize the 1% of servers who have a Soluna blade. There are not 100 cool weapons equal in effectiveness, in each type. Armor either. You have the gear to play high level content or raids or you don't. I have been playing six months after the start, and I still don't do Peaca let alone go against the succubus queen. I can't afford the repairs for even an attempt.

I could do grandmaster on like five different talents, but I can't afford the 1,000,000 gold to do that five times.

Again, I'm not excusing or praising the behavior of the problem players. I do, however, understand it. It is the same reason why you have a problem with gold sellers, trading of items/accounts in real life for money, multiple account abuse, and even hacking of servers. Understand why you have the problems in the game you have, don't just say it's terrible we have them.

You either care enough about the game to revamp the loot system, or this, like many issues in the game are just not important to you. You got your money from the players, good enough.
    SebastianNilremChaosShadowAlshianRadiant DawnSherri
  • SebastianSebastian
    edited April 13, 2020
    Kisaraya wrote: »
    Honestly, I just wish these items were not so difficult to obtain. I've mentioned it before but having to run a dungeon 30 times with a group of 8 people just to get 1 skill book. Or if you don't have friends, be required to run that dungeon forever. I wish you would implement a system where if you run a dungeon you get points for that dungeon. You trade those points for rewards from that dungeon.

Gachas too. Like Shy's system (open X gacha, you get points). Then for events like this have certain items drop in certain dungeons, or have bonuses on the points you get.

Its 2020. Why are we requiring anyone to run a dungeon hundreds of times just to get a chance to get an item? I think that's why people are so salty now. Let's imagine you've done all the content, raids, elite dungeons, farming dungeons for materials for the last two years and you still don't have what you want on your character. We're talking playing for six hours or more each day per character. When an event comes along like this one, people see it as an opportunity to finally make their character the way they want to.

Is it ethical? No. But Nexon, you created this situation. You popularize the 1% of servers who have a Soluna blade. There are not 100 cool weapons equal in effectiveness, in each type. Armor either. You have the gear to play high level content or raids or you don't. I have been playing six months after the start, and I still don't do Peaca let alone go against the succubus queen. I can't afford the repairs for even an attempt.

I could do grandmaster on like five different talents, but I can't afford the 1,000,000 gold to do that five times.

Again, I'm not excusing or praising the behavior of the problem players. I do, however, understand it. It is the same reason why you have a problem with gold sellers, trading of items/accounts in real life for money, multiple account abuse, and even hacking of servers. Understand why you have the problems in the game you have, don't just say it's terrible we have them.

You either care enough about the game to revamp the loot system, or this, like many issues in the game are just not important to you. You got your money from the players, good enough.

Just wanna add onto this as well, but the divine weapons being auctioned off in game that have absurd requirements for crafting them cannot even be done with the help of other players. You have to pray to whatever god you believe in that you manage to get an abysmally rare drop from baltane boxes.

And THAT is actual hell. 40 Ancient golden crystals for the blade, and they sell for 6m each. That is a ton of gold to dump if you choose not to suffer slightly more.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    Uh, sorry, turned out that I was just being one of those «Monkey See, Monkey Do» follower-sheeple who «got in line» because «everyone else was doing it» at the time, and just because it was simply another «Daily» (chore) to try and accomplish (get out of the way) if I wasn't asleep...
    Yeah but if you get the weapon and destroy it what was the point in going to the event in the first place. At-least you could get some gold out of it if you decide that class isn't working out for you. Why would nexon do an event to give out something that would maybe end up getting destroyed later anyway? Honestly I don't know what the point of this event was. To give out a few items? Why not just call it a giveaway.

:I I'm still clueless to why this legendary item event even happened tbh

The people doing this event know what they want. This is late/end game gear, it's not really for funsies. At the very least, the Divine Weapons should be perma-bound. The other stuff that is sorta your typical filler is fine.
    Wolfsinger
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    edited April 13, 2020
    I have an inclination to believe that a large percentage of the former player-base «quit» because it is just like (former active forum-member mentioned [see screen-shot in spoiler)] said... considering that, originally, a significant number of those people were the types who wanted to work «hard» and earn their way (a principle to which I noticed that a number of them applied to their «real» life and not just in-game; I guess our in-game habits may be a reflection of our off-line character [yes, even for those people who are into so-called role-playing, the worst variety of the «Elitists» whom I have ever encountered {for their «mentalities» are so «sick and twisted» that they can literally engage in acts of psychopathy and genocide but then simultaneously claim that it's «not their fault» and are thus «not responsible» for what they're doing because it's the «character» doing it and on not them... serious smh}]).
    i9IyxiA.jpg
    Alshian wrote: »
    But your getting it from an event and not legitimately so...what is the fuss?

This would indirectly slander effort that players had done to get these weapons.

Which is why bound to character with option to destroy. If you don't want it, DON'T attempt to get it simple right? Making it sound overly complex that is too simple to answer. The likes and dislikes should of been obvious to yourself.

I for one, don't care about these weapons so I don't join. SIMPLE.

Sorry If I am coming off rude but I can't handle your lack of insight right now....
    Nilrem
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    edited April 13, 2020
    Okay... This event was a poor idea. It's basically a lottery where 99% of the people get nothing. Honestly, I don't know who thought this was a good idea and who said "It's brilliant, we can piss off EVERYONE!", but overall, this event was a really bad idea overall, and poorly executed. Basically, this event is a lottery with no real reason to participate when you realize that there is no reward for most of us. There needs to be a reason for us to participate beyond "MAYBE we'll get the item, but probably not."

Another problem is that the event is pure RNG. One person gets the item and then that's it. There's really no reason to even try when you have a 99% chance of not getting the item. This event should have been more of a reason to exist rather than just being a "Hey lets give these items to random people and anger all the people who don't get the items because they're not good enough at RNG?"

Personally, I think this event needs to give these kinds of items to people who are struggling. People who genuinely need the items because the game has become too unfair and they can't keep up with the requirements for reforge pay-to-win, or they don't have the power to do all these Tech Duinn missions because no one will run them with people they don't know. This event should have been aimed to help give items to people who legitimately need them, not just giving them to some random person who will probably end up selling it because they really don't need it.

I'd have personally had this event as sort of an event where you go through trials, and when you go through enough trials, you can get the legendary weapon. For example, having someone be a master lance user in order to get a divine lance (or whatever the name of the weapon is), and having to go through a boss rush. Maybe even make it a reward for those getting grandmaster titles. The items can be awarded to people who have gone through and are getting their grandmaster titles. Or make it where someone has to play through certain event story to get access to certain items.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    I do not like competitions... and this event is very competitive with very little chance for reward. Why should I bother with something like this, knowing full well that I will not get anything at all? There is no fixing it to make any one happy, and therefore should not even try. 1 item per server? Why not make it 1 item per server through out all of mabi... NA, Korea, Japan, etc...