Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[FIXED] Typo with the Cherry Forêt-Noire

DraechDraech
Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
edited October 19, 2017 in Archived Bugs
Hey, I know this is nitpicking, but the Event item Cherry Forret Noire should actually be written the same way as it is in my thread title: with only one R, a dash between both words and an "accent circonflexe" on the E (otherwise, "Foret" means Drill Bit).

IGN: Draech
Server: Ruairi

[img][/img]Untitled_zps3fifyifa.jpg
[Deleted User]

Comments

• EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Why in the world are we using the (misspelled) French name of a German dessert in the first place?

It's called a Black Forest Cake in English.

I would say something about the Chocolate Fondant too but at least the name they went with is spelled correctly.
    [Deleted User]
  • MazuiMazui
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,250
    I thought I was the only one bothered by this.
    [Deleted User]
  • KatherzKatherz
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
    @Draech @Eralea @Mazui

Hi there! I was going through some bugs and noticed this one. While we would really like to change the name of the item to its true name, Mabinogi does not support the use of the "accent circonflexe" symbol. So there are two ways of making this right.

1. We could simply change it from Cherry Forret Noire to Cherry Foret-Noire
    2. Or we could revise the entire collection of these items so that they are no longer the French version names of the items (example: Cherry Forret Noire would be renamed to Black Forest Cake)

When I brought this issue up to the team, they really wanted to hear some feedback. Please let me what you guys think! Thanks!
    [Deleted User]
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    @Katherz
    Mabi doesn't support the accent circonflexe symbol on the e?
    Are item name's different, because you can type it in the game chat.
    dd30788034.png

Had to type Alt + 0234 but it worked.

But if items are different, I'd prefer to settle for revised names over misspelled French ones.
    If Cherry Forêt-Noire would become Black Forest Cake, what would the others change to?
    [Deleted User]
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    @Katherz
    I'd rather the english name be used, honestly. It avoids any instances in which the letter "ê" might not be recognized (i.e. when searching the Housing Board) or forcing non-Francophone players to learn how to type the letter when searching for the item (by the way, one can normally type it with Alt+136).

On another note, glad to see you guys wanting to correct stuff like this! Attention to detail (bugs, typos) is what really makes a game stand above others, in my opinion.
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    I agree with not using diacritics for in-game searching purposes. Sometimes the meaning changes when you omit the diacritic, however, so it's better to rename it something else. "Foret and Forêt" are a great example of words that change meanings.

The four items from that event (that had food and homestead versions) were
    - Cherry "Forret" Noire
    - Fondant Au Chocolat -- which is spelled correctly and pretty much just Chocolate Fondant,
    - Chocolate Mousse -- which is somehow already in perfect English (I'm surprised it wasn't named Mousse Au Chocolat!)
    - Choco Choux Creme -- which is.... neither here nor there, actually... lol

I think the French would call those last ones choux à la crème or profiteroles. There might be a UK/US divide on the English name: profiteroles and cream puffs, respectively. The current name seems to be a mangling of the French word, probably because Choux à la Crème Au Chocolat would be way too long and involves too many diacritical marks.

FWIW I see them sold here in New Zealand as Chocolate Cream Puffs.

93mY6n1.png

The last two items were "failed" dishes from getting a low score in the event dungeon, so they both look like a huge mess lol. I think it would be funny if they were named to reflect that mess but that might be overcomplicating things.

is that a straw in the mousse omg are you supposed to drink it
    [Deleted User]Yurei
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I would prefer the english names on them then.
    [Deleted User]
  • EraleaEralea
    You know, I've given it some thought since then and I've decided it's probably not meant to be a mousse.

It looks more like one of these absurd things:

SdHvXfe.jpg

Mabi has implemented trendy meme food before, so I'm going to throw "Chocolate Freakshake" into the suggestions list.
    (Which, by the way, is the search term one should use if one wants to see more nauseating pictures of 3000-calorie drinks with chocolate dripping everywhere.)

But since it's a failed dish, it may very well be a failed mousse that happens to look like a freakshake. Or it may be a failed freakshake. It's "uglier" than normal freakshakes in the same way that the failed cream puffs from the event are "uglier" than normal cream puffs.
    [Deleted User]Yurei
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    @Erala
    A failed dish?
    So they're like a... Chocolate Mousse-tastrophe?
    [Deleted User]
  • KatherzKatherz
    Thank you guys for your suggestions! I will bring all of them up to the team (Lol @ Freakshake!) and we will decide how to proceed. :D
    [Deleted User]Iyasenu
  • KatherzKatherz
    Forwarded!
    Iyasenu
  • KatherzKatherz
    Fixed!