Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

I'm new and want to know how best to start

ChillystarChillystar
Mabinogi Rep: 300
in Help
Hello! I'm new (as in I haven't even downloaded the game yet) but I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for starting. I really want to be a bard but from what I've read that's probably not the best choice if I don't have any friends who play this.

Comments

• AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    edited April 3, 2017
    Hello, its nice to see new people wanting to play.

You can try out any style of play while starting out. I believe Duncan in the first town will reset all your skills so you can try other skills and not use up your AP.

In my opinion, the best play-style for starting out is melee. Smash, defend and counter will be your basic bread-and-butter that will keep you safe. At low levels, just having a shield will negate a lot of damage just from holding it. I believe you can get a "rental" weapon (and shield I believe?) which is a high-ish-tier weapon that will be bound to you (is untradable) so you can use that and have a decent hitting-thing.
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,075
    Hello! Welcome to Mabinogi! Like Aeolys said, melee is the best starting talent. Not only are they useful with almost every weapon, but they will give you strength stat which will give you a higher defence rate, making you less squishy! But if you're having more fun with other talents, then just do whatever you're going to have the most fun with! You'll be able to reset your skills at Duncan until you hit total 1000, so you have time to try things and rank them, then derank and try another thing, and such!

Also! The best way to get levels and AP (ability points, which you use to rank skills) at your level is to get started on Generation 1 (Advent of the Goddess quest tab) and quests that show up in Basic, Event, and Repeat tabs! If you get other story line quests before you finish Advent of the Goddess (like Divine Knights or Alchemist or Hamlet and etc.) I would suggest not doing them until it's the proper time to be doing them (story-wise) because each generation questline is harder that the previous one, and the game likes to throw them at you out-of-order (you trigger them when you hit a certain level or something like that). The quest to be doing after Advent of the Goddess is Paladin, then Dark Knight, and then a bunch more after that~

If you have more questions you're welcome to add me as a friend in-game (if you're on the Tarlach server)! I'm always happy to help!
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Bard is a great talent but a lot of grind and hard work. I suggest starting as warrior first to get used to basic melee skills and try starting bard a little later in the game.
  • ChillystarChillystar
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    I ended up choosing puppeteer, it's been really fun so far!