Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why add bonus's for returning players?

Comments

• ZearaZeara
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    edited April 14, 2017
    The reason they do this is because the people who do stay are so far ahead while people who left come back and see that. A lot of people can't just play the game all the time, life happens. I was gone for a year, almost two, because life happened with me then again I didn't even KNOW about the Return player incentive when I came back until two days after I did last August. Lol. God I'm so far behind. =,=
    But then again they could just not do things like this, let the game die completely, and all the time, money, and friends you made will go poof.
    FilthyRedDevilClovercodyBlissfulkillFweep
  • ClovercodyClovercody
    Mabinogi Rep: 690
    At this point, who has not quit for a month?

It does seem a bit overpowered, I admit.

I have been back for the past two weeks, after not playing for the past 6 years.

I have so much to catch up on I have to "relearn" almost everything from combat strategy to what is worth what in the market.
    And it, I admit, that it seems a bit unfair that there are "return" events like this where one can get all sorts of goodies and sadly, I don't get to participate because I started playing again 2 weeks ago.

But this is a game, they need to make money to keep the game online, and to keep the game online they need players who spend money on the game. That is why they have "return" events.

I have no idea what the "demonic" weapons do, if they are really hard to get or anything like that.
    It takes time for a returning player to get reacquainted with Mabi
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited April 14, 2017
    Clovercody wrote: »

I have been back for the past two weeks, after not playing for the past 6 years.

I have so much to catch up on I have to "relearn" almost everything from combat strategy to what is worth what in the market.
    And it, I admit, that it seems a bit unfair that there are "return" events like this where one can get all sorts of goodies and sadly, I don't get to participate because I started playing again 2 weeks ago.

But this is a game, they need to make money to keep the game online, and to keep the game online they need players who spend money on the game. That is why they have "return" events.

I have no idea what the "demonic" weapons do, if they are really hard to get or anything like that.

I meant over a month. I think I skipped the monthly event after being fatigued from work and decided to buy Terraria.

Best 600 hours of my life. My main point being why should anyone at the higher levels care? There is only so much one wants to do in Mabinogi, and being around level 12k or above means one may have exhausted most of the content, and that it is likely people like I have taken prolonged breaks.

In any case, demonic weapons are easy enough to obtain, coming free from Saga boxes, which are repeatedly per one day. They are one of the better weapons, depending on your skillset, but have atrociously high repair cost. Things like the shortswords are superseded by the Celtic Royal Swords in the melee compartment, which have a bash +5 enhancement and a durability +5 loss enhancement. (You need to dual wield both, so pretty much just Humans. Giants have their own version with hammers that have the same enhancements in a later update.)

The +5 step ups are somewhat insane, especially considering who has the gold lying around to repair it?
    Clovercody
  • ClovercodyClovercody
    Mabinogi Rep: 690
    Clovercody wrote: »

I meant over a month. I think I skipped the monthly event after being fatigued from work and decided to buy Terraria.

Best 600 hours of my life. My main point being why should anyone at the higher levels care? There is only so much one wants to do in Mabinogi, and being around level 12k or above means one may have exhausted most of the content, and that it is likely people like I have taken prolonged breaks.

In any case, demonic weapons are easy enough to obtain, coming free from Saga boxes, which are repeatedly per one day. They are one of the better weapons, depending on your skillset, but have atrociously high repair cost. Things like the shortswords are superseded by the Celtic Royal Swords in the melee compartment, which have a bash +5 enhancement and a durability +5 loss enhancement. (You need to dual wield both, so pretty much just Humans. Giants have their own version with hammers that have the same enhancements in a later update.)

The +5 step ups are somewhat insane, especially considering who has the gold lying around to repair it?

ah okay, like I said, I have soooo much to catch up on and get reacquainted with.

Mabi has monthly events?... back in my day there was an event like once or twice a summer! lol

and Terraria is awesome! my younger minions are trying to get me to play Starbound with them.... and I am old and can only play so many games at the same time.
  • TsumikkiTsumikki
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,200
    Starbound to Terraria is like Vindi to Mabi. :s
  • dra011dra011
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,010
    BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL US LAZY PLAYERS IT'S UNFAIR ON US!!!! on a serious note While i understand the whole returning players are getting too many benefits so much so people are leaving just to come back to get the benefits i also understand that people need a reason to return and while like with many things they could handle this in a better manner it is still a needed thing as content that is interesting and that makes people want to come back and play are not greatly common in mabi.
    Zeara
    Yoyoking wrote: »
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Really? REALLY? You honestly are complaining that people who have not played the game are getting benefits? Meanwhile people who have played the game every day have gotten All the AP, the skill training, the events, the hot times, the free pets, the free dyes, the free chairs, the FREE EVERYTHING and people are over here complaining that those who play the game every day or so are not getting enough.

I'm not complaining they get benefits. What I'm saying is we spend our time on Mabi. Its not really our fault they don't want to play? its not a benefit that we get "AP and skill training" JUST because we play the game like it should be? I'm saying they are giving returning players benefits while the loyal mabinogi players well we just get what everyone else gets (The "returning players") They get everything as well and if they spend just as much time as us they would be at the same AP and skill training but they didn't. I'm just saying when the returning players got the free "incubus wings" I was like????? I might as well quit for a bit and try get it like??? how does that make sense.

Yes, you are complaining. It is just a matter of how reasonable it is to have an opinion.

Faye makes a point. This is an incentive for people to come back, that all it really is.

Loyal players get rewarded by playing the game. Direct Dye package, free pets, what more can you ask for?

• SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,690
    edited April 15, 2017
    Really? REALLY? You honestly are complaining that people who have not played the game are getting benefits? Meanwhile people who have played the game every day have gotten All the AP, the skill training, the events, the hot times, the free pets, the free dyes, the free chairs, the FREE EVERYTHING and people are over here complaining that those who play the game every day or so are not getting enough.

I'm not complaining they get benefits. What I'm saying is we spend our time on Mabi. Its not really our fault they don't want to play? its not a benefit that we get "AP and skill training" JUST because we play the game like it should be? I'm saying they are giving returning players benefits while the loyal mabinogi players well we just get what everyone else gets (The "returning players") They get everything as well and if they spend just as much time as us they would be at the same AP and skill training but they didn't. I'm just saying when the returning players got the free "incubus wings" I was like????? I might as well quit for a bit and try get it like??? how does that make sense.

Yes, you are complaining. It is just a matter of how reasonable it is to have an opinion.

Faye makes a point. This is an incentive for people to come back, that all it really is.

Loyal players get rewarded by playing the game. Direct Dye package, free pets, what more can you ask for?

That's not a reward for people playing the game for awhile, that's a reward for playing the game. Think about things like how guild wars gave out mini pets for each year you've played the game, things like that. The returning player thing is fine the problem I have is that there isn't any perks for actually sticking around.

Heck on that note I would be happy with a mini gem of an npc character for stickin around for a year or so. Something to say thanks for sticking around you guys.
    SirRyu wrote: »

That's not a reward for people playing the game for awhile, that's a reward for playing the game. Think about things like how guild wars gave out mini pets for each year you've played the game, things like that. The returning player thing is fine the problem I have is that there isn't any perks for actually sticking around.

Heck on that note I would be happy with a mini gem of an npc character for stickin around for a year or so. Something to say thanks for sticking around you guys.

The only difference between what you are describing and what I stated is what the reward is actually for based on reasoning, which makes it more on a sense of recognition for older or more consistent players. My problem with this is essentially, I do not care to be recognized, nor do I see why anyone should. Having an automated game systems that gives out free pets and such, is hardly what I call a sign of recognition. All it is an incentive, not a genuine thanks, to log in. It is not like they have done some version of this, including log in once a week for ten weeks for Ultimate Anime Summer (Which had a week incentive for all ten weeks versus individually) and attendance event.

Not trying to start a fight. A sense of thanks in a permanent game system seems more lifeless than a spontaneous double rainbow or a GM event.
  • SirRyuSirRyu
    edited April 15, 2017
    The only difference between what you are describing and what I stated is what the reward is actually for based on reasoning, which makes it more on a sense of recognition for older or more consistent players. My problem with this is essentially, I do not care to be recognized, nor do I see why anyone should. Having an automated game systems that gives out free pets and such, is hardly what I call a sign of recognition. All it is an incentive, not a genuine thanks, to log in. It is not like they have done some version of this, including log in once a week for ten weeks for Ultimate Anime Summer (Which had a week incentive for all ten weeks versus individually) and attendance event.

Not trying to start a fight. A sense of thanks in a permanent game system seems more lifeless than a spontaneous double rainbow or a GM event.

So you don't see a difference between rewards that anyone can get, even returning players/ beginners vs an achievement reward for sticking around?

What's wrong with giving players an incentive to stick around and ya'know actually play the game rather than leave and return later?
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    edited April 15, 2017
    So you don't see a difference between rewards that anyone can get, even returning players/ beginners vs an achievement reward for sticking around?

What's wrong with giving players an incentive to stick around and ya'know actually play the game rather than leave and return later?

We already get that though. The free things we get are not just because nexon can pull em out of their butt, they are showing appreciation. We have gotten free pets, hot times, free items, double rainbows, etc etc. Another nexon game me and my boyfriend are always giving out free stuff for continuing to play the game and it's the same as what Mabi does. The other game we play gives out free costumes, free crystals, free gold, free equipment, and not once do people ever complain that they never get anything free for being a loyal player. nor have people complained when returning players have gotten really super awesome stuff because they know they, as loyal players are valued as well.
    FilthyRedDevil
  • SirRyuSirRyu
    edited April 15, 2017
    We already get that though. The free things we get are not just because nexon can pull em out of their butt, they are showing appreciation. We have gotten free pets, hot times, free items, double rainbows, etc etc. Another nexon game me and my boyfriend are always giving out free stuff for continuing to play the game and it's the same as what Mabi does. The other game we play gives out free costumes, free crystals, free gold, free equipment, and not once do people ever complain that they never get anything free for being a loyal player. nor have people complained when returning players have gotten really super awesome stuff because they know they, as loyal players are valued as well.

So those rewards only go towards the players that have been playing for a certain amount of time vs just being rewards for events that anyone can join, right?

• ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    edited April 15, 2017
    ^ The events that you said "anyone" can join can't be joined by the returning players, because they can't log in at the time due to real life or etc. That rewards goes to us, who do can log in. If you don't call them by rewarding loyal players, I don't know what is.

• SirRyuSirRyu
    ShouK wrote: »
    ^ The events that you said "anyone" can join can't be joined by the returning players, because they can't log in at the time due to real life or etc. That rewards goes to us, who do can log in. If you don't call them by rewarding loyal players, I don't know what is.

What happens when the player returns during that event?
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    ShouK wrote: »

What happens when the player returns during that event?
    I meant the events that the returning player didn't participate..........