Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Couple Newbie Questions

MonomaxosMonomaxos
Mabinogi Rep: 305
in Help
I have just started the game, havent even decided which server to play yet but got a few questions. Would help a lot if someone could answer them.

1. I chose a Giant cause I tend to like melee oriented tanky classes on mmos(also living skills) but I seen too few giants around. Is it a good choice for a first char? or human would be a better choice?
2. After getting to try classes in one of the quests I was taken to take rebirth. I liked Lance charge so I picked that but the tips windows were recommending me take one of the beginner classes(unarmed or close combat). Is there a right order to work on classes? or a suggested one for newbies. Also does tanking matter on Mabinogi? All combats are viable towards high levels or some are too weak?(I am more of a team player but I like to solo occasionally)
3. I am unsure how you get to start training living skills, you need to reborn into a class? you need to talk to some npcs?
4. Not sure still what is the role of the special squad and if I should bother with it right now
5. Mount-pet. I got a horse which also mentions hours left(does it disappear is it temporary) but also made another char on another server to check it but wasnt given a whistle. Is that normal or it is a bug
6. Is it generally realistic for a newbie to join a good guild or like many other mmos the reqs to join trend towards endgame players?

Any more advice would be welcome. Thank you in advance

Comments

• HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    1. Giant is better at melee indeed, they also walk faster and carry shield along with most "2 handed" weapon. they can dual wield blunt weapon such as mace and morning star. they also more efficient as fighter; lower cool down at fighter skill gained from chain mastery and hit harder too
    2. lance have one flaw, if you are too close (normal melee range) you can't attack
    for beginner giant, you should take Warrior (melee mastery give you HP the most) first then you can choose whether to go Knight (lance) or Fighter (knuckle) but knuckle is for solo target while lance for AOE or Nuking
    3. some life skill will not be able to be obtained instantly, you must either, yes, change to corresponding life talent, or do something to obtain it. For Example, you should be able to get "production mastery" skill after you talk to Alissa (at windmill) with "skill" keyword
    4. you shouldn't be bothered with that for now (since you need some skills that can only be obtained from story-line (which is quite hard for newbie (for making things worse, it must be done solo)))
    5. Each pet have daily summoning duration, once wasted you cant summon that pet again until tomorrow. the duration wont move when your pet is not summoned. You can only get that pet once per account, not per server or even per character
    6. I'm afraid i don't have suggestion for that, sorry. but look for active one, not newbie one
  • ParadoxLostParadoxLost
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    In the Tarlach server at least, I can say that most guilds don't have any requirements outside of being social. However choosing the right guild can be difficult because a lot of them have their own drama.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 11, 2017
    1. Giants are overwhelmingly underused for several reasons, and the melee difference between Humans and Giants is not that much. Giants are tankier, but Humans have access to skills and equipment that dwarf Giants damage immensely in terms of melee, and the defense thing is hardly useful when everything dies quickly enough. However, there is a giant Giant update coming soon, where Giants will have equivalent equipment with similar buffs, and their race respective skills will be buffed immensely.

2. There is no correct way, except you should pick a combat class, such as fighter, warrior, mage, etc, before proceeding to non combat skills eventually. Tanking does not really matter for most situations, with things doing scratch damage or doing absurd amounts of damage to kill you in 2 hits or less.

3. Press Z to open up the Skills tab. Here, you will be able to check training requirements to rank up skills to their respective next rank. It goes from (Novice>F>E>D>C>B>A>9>8>7>6>5>4>3>2>1) with one being the highest. These skills are separated into separate tabs, and benefit from differing talents. (Music is under the Music Tab and gets 2x training from being reborned as a bard, Magic skills are under the Magic Tab and benefit from Mage).

To answer your question, there is an "Unlearned" tab among the tabs at the end. Go click on it, and then it will show you a list of skills you gave not learned. Clicking on them will reveal their effects, and clicking "Hint" will reveal how to obtain said skill.

It is important you utilize talents by rebirthing into them, by selecting rebirth from the character menu (I think it can be brought up by pressing "C"), and going to additional info and rebirthing...I think. Nao will let you select a class, and this not only provides statistical benefits through regular levels, however momentary, but also grants 2x the training per fulfilling 1 requirement.

Example: Say you were ranking Support shot from Rank F to Rank E, and the requirements only require you to use it X amount of times. Selecting the Archery Talents will effectively allow you to double your counts, and halving the amount needed to fulfill said category. (500 usage of Support Shot will be halved to 250)

Keep in mind that after a category requirement has been filled up, it will not contribute anymore to the total skill pints, and you would need to train other requirements in the same rank to advance it most of the time for most skills, and you only need 100 points for said rank
    to level up, and there is no point to completing every category to its fullest, the only exception being from Rank 1, which upon fully trained will grant you a "Master of (Skill Name) title, though only certain skills have Master Titles worth going for.

4. Squads are usually utilize for several large gatherings, such as Girgashiy and Dragon Raids. I would avoid those at your level.

5. Pets have daily time limits which reset. However, a function of the old system will give you a thoroughbred which after seven real life days will disappear after activating it, but there is a new thoroughbred with the recent updates that is permanent, alongside an eagle. They do not possess inventories however, but are good transportation.

6. You can join a guild, or you may not. It depends on the server. More populated like Alexina has far less restrictions, whereas less will require some cooperation due to the scarcity of players and the lack of density. In short, a popular server will make it easier to form random parties, whereas Tarlachians form guilds out of some necessity, hence the "close knit" appearance. Join an active guild, not one aimed at Newbies. Those never last.
  • MonomaxosMonomaxos
    Thank you all,
    Got to admit I am now slightly confused if I should stay giant or make some human character but it probably can only be decided as i play the game more
    All this info will be very useful to ,me as i start playing, but out of curiocity, what is the max character level?
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    Max level is 200, but with the rebirth system returning us to level 1 (regardless of your current level), you will have a capless "total level".
  • MonomaxosMonomaxos
    Oh I see, that is interesting for sure