Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Bard questions

BeyandreBeyandre
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in Help
Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to this game, and I've been leveling up my music skills recently. I'm sitting at Rank D for playing instrument at the moment but every time I try to play a song off of one of my scores it says I'll never become better if i keep playing the same old songs? I have 10+ scores with different songs of different difficulties and 9/10 it tells me that. Any way around this? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

• AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    When you play a song that is 2 ranks below your Playing Instrument rank, the game will say the scroll is too low for training your Playing Instrument skill. When you compose a scroll, it will have the rank of your Musical Knowledge skill. To compose higher ranking scrolls for training Playing Instrument, you will need to learn the Musical Knowledge skill.
  • BeyandreBeyandre
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Aeolys wrote: »
    When you play a song that is 2 ranks below your Playing Instrument rank, the game will say the scroll is too low for training your Playing Instrument skill. When you compose a scroll, it will have the rank of your Musical Knowledge skill. To compose higher ranking scrolls for training Playing Instrument, you will need to learn the Musical Knowledge skill.

Oh all right! I'm saving up for the Musical Knowledge book right now. Thank you!!
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    edited May 11, 2017
    Beyandre wrote: »
    Oh all right! I'm saving up for the Musical Knowledge book right now. Thank you!!
    There is a cheaper way to obtain the first book (80k is kinda ridiculous compared to the other books that cost less than 10k). What you can do is getting a high affinity with Aeira in Dunbarton. You can do this by giving her Cubic Puzzles or Anthologies gifts that you can buy from Walter. Alternating between this and talking to her about Personal Stories and Nearby Rumors. Repeat until when you talk to her "she's giving you a friendly vibe". If the dialogue says "... is giving me a look that it may be better to stop this conversation", gift her one gold 5 times to reduce her "annoyance" and resume gifting/talking to her. Do not drag this out over a couple of (real life) days since npcs will forget about you over time and try to do this in one sitting.
    When "she's giving you a friendly vibe", talk to her about Skills and TADA, free 80k book!

I know you're going to say this: "That's a convoluted intimacy/friendship system!" and I will say this: "yes... yes it is". This is still cheaper than spending 80k.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Actually, for the book you don't need to talk to her at all.
    Just giving her the cubic puzzle or anthology gift items one after another should be enough.

Just gift her about 10 or so and talk to her about Skills and she should give the book.

Not wholly related since this isn't about a Secret Shop, but talking to NPCs is actually detrimental to opening their Secret Shops.
    Aeolys has listed the old way to raise friendship with NPCs, but it's not the best.
    Keep this in mind for the future, but all it ever takes to open an NPC's Secret Shop is 5 Likeability Potions one after the other, with no talking.

As an aside, you could also try training Playing Instrument via one of the other methods.
    Such as whacking things with your instrument, or using the musical buffing skills.
    A good enemy to whack is the boss of the Math Musical Dungeon, since he has a ton of HP, doesn't attack unless you play an incorrect song, and doesn't get knocked back.