Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Game is just a bit ridiculous.

kingjames488kingjames488
Mabinogi Rep: 725
edited May 24, 2017 in General Chat
I've started playing mabi somewhat recently, and while it certainly has it's charm, I'm just stuck wondering wtf is going on here?

there are like 4 servers with (I'm assuming) 7 channels each, only a couple of channels are even populated and the ones that are lag so bad they're unplayable.
making matters worse, the most populated channels are mostly people who are AFK because the system for trading in this game seems to requires you to stay online to maintain a shop and further clog the few servers that are active.

I don't think it's reasonable to have to go what's basically a dedicated server to even play the game, especially considering half the game is already instanced and many game features seem to revolve around being able to find people to play with.

this whole system just doesn't make a lot of sense...

EDIT: just noticed I kinda repeated part of that... guess I should have gone over it all again before posting lol.

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Cross server announcements except for bugles do not exist, and there are so many temporary spaces you can use within areas worth marketing in, as the gold limits for licenses differ by town, which allows certain areas to act as market hubs, the problem being that we have enough people to fill up one market channel on Alexina but not enough for two to be viable.

Ideally, you want market areas and places to be in "one spot" if you do not have the access of using a search function, which are used for kiosks and housing markets for selling really expensive (Housing) or really cheap (kiosks) goods.

That being said, the flea market idea is cool enough, but it seems inconvenient enough that Nexon is unveiling an auction system that may make its way here that will be cross channel and available from a menu.
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    edited May 22, 2017
    basically the shooping system is crap, forse ppl to stay on 1 channel, thats all the problem, there is some ways to fix it but nexon/devcat doesnt seems to care about it, for me the market should be web based or app based or both with a log so ppl can check old prices.
    Pannya wrote: »
    basically the shooping system is crap, forse ppl to stay on 1 channel, thats all the problem, there is some ways to fix it but nexon/devcat doesnt seems to care about it.

I would not say shops are the only reason people congregate on said channels for dungeon runs, but pugs are easier formed when everyone gathers at the same place. In any case, one could change channels.
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    basically the shooping system is crap, forse ppl to stay on 1 channel, thats all the problem, there is some ways to fix it but nexon/devcat doesnt seems to care about it.

I would not say shops are the only reason people congregate on said channels for dungeon runs, but pugs are easier formed when everyone gathers at the same place. In any case, one could change channels.

there is something called party board system o.O

I would not say shops are the only reason people congregate on said channels for dungeon runs, but pugs are easier formed when everyone gather

there is something called party board system o.O

No one uses that except to form production parties or to sell something, but with selling something, it is more of a perk if anything. (May as well turn this on. Cannot hurt.)
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    There's also that Altruism Quest Board too.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    People being AFK isn't really a strain on the servers, however some PCs with weak CPUs(especially since Mabi was designed around a single core) may lower frame rates or cause the game to feel laggy.

That said, while most players congregate on the market channels, I've seen plenty of tight-knit groups active or even just relaxing/chatting on various other channels, speaking for Mari server.
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    i agree with you, it doesnt make sense.
    lag aside. still makes no sense.
  • kingjames488kingjames488
    Mabinogi Rep: 725
    Aquasol wrote: »
    People being AFK isn't really a strain on the servers
    I'm fairly sure that it is, the server still needs to keep track of you incase you decide to move.

seems to me like the actual game servers could use a bit of an upgrade, and maybe cut 1-2 channels off each server to compensate.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,155
    edited May 24, 2017
    It made sense back in the day, it doesn't anymore.
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    Part of why it doesn't make sense to some, is they are coming from another MMO that features a proper Market Place System (Like the one found in Vindictus or Spiral Knights).

The Housing System is the closest thing Mabinogi has to a proper Market System, its own dedicated channel, with an access point on every other channel for viewing. Where this breaks down in comparison to other, more successful version of a Market System, is in the Housing limitations. A player may only own a house with Premium or VIP Service, meaning they have to be a paying player to use it. The Houses, while they hole a limited, but respectable amount of space for a shop. They only allow the active holding of 5,000,000 Gold, greatly restricting the raw amount of goods to be sold. I have lost count of the number of times I've gone to buy something that costs 600k, but was unable to buy it because the owner's house had already reached 5m gold. Another factor that makes owning a house, a complete nightmare and turnoff, goes back to requiring Paid Service. Once you win the bid on your house, you are now RENTING that house for 30 days, starting on the day you won the build. You are required to pay rent for the duration of your stay, and once your 30 days are up, you must move out. There is no method of extending the lease, or even outright purchasing the house for a more permanent residence.

Implementing a proper Market Place System that spans across all channels without much impact will allow for far smoother selling process, as it will be an item by item basis, with no real gold limit forcing certain prices. This would allow Player Homes to become more like Warehouses, allowing for expanded options, such as listing multiple items instead of only one or two for a free player. Player Shops and Kiosks can still be used as is, allowing for a more Bazaar/Flea Market feel to major hub-cities.

But ultimately, the problem stems from the fact that we are using a system that is not only outdated, but very different from most other MMOs.