Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Max Durability Loss Has to Go.

JexsoJexso
Mabinogi Rep: 710
in Feedback and Suggestions
I've known Mabinogi for years and love just about everything in it, but I can't believe we still have fix rates to lose max durability points on our gear. In no way does this benefit a player besides Nexon's own marketing profit to encourage people to buy protection potions... That are mad expensive, might I add. Losing durability is an alright function, but losing max durability points is horrid. In no way I see it as a challenge, but more of a punch to the face.

Now, now. I personally don't have a grudge with losing points because I rarely use my best equips, have them on fashion slot, and or dish out money to protect it. However, it makes me cringe knowing that it exists and always felt like it holds some people back from always being their best or just makes them want to quit the game. Pretty sure players would love to always be able to use and fix their gear without having to worry about max durability loss.

#MakeMabinogiGreatAgain
  1. Get Rid of the Max Durability Loss Function54 votes
    1. Yes, I love my gear
       74% (40 votes)
    2. No, I love to wear and tear my gear to the ground
       26% (14 votes)

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Support! This is why i don't bother getting end game gear!
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited July 17, 2017
    They did away with max durability loss during repairs in Vindictus, and in KR they have 100% repair rate. Granted it's more expensive, but for many people like me - we would gladly pay for it. Whenever I lose a durability point on my precious gear it makes me quit for a day or two because it makes me feel ill and resentful towards the game when it happens.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    There's a reforge if you're lucky to get it that takes no loss from repair fail.
    But overall, max fail is very costly and frustrating to players. One of those realistic elements that one would rather do away with before a repair NPC has their head on a pike from an angry mob of Milletians.
    I'm divided, but leaning toward doing it away.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    There's a reforge if you're lucky to get it that takes no loss from repair fail.
    But overall, max fail is very costly and frustrating to players. One of those realistic elements that one would rather do away with before a repair NPC has their head on a pike from an angry mob of Milletians.

What reforge is that?
    Raishii wrote: »

What reforge is that?

I don't remember. I was using fine reforges on a beam sword a couple years ago and then it appeared on there.
    I don't have that sword anymore as I gave it to someone.
    But never trust a reforge. It will turn your life upside down.
  • ZairakZairak
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    But, Jexso...

If they take max durability loss out, nobody will ever get to be a Friend of Ferghus.

=(
  • RaishiiRaishii

What reforge is that?

I don't remember. I was using fine reforges on a beam sword a couple years ago and then it appeared on there.
    I don't have that sword anymore as I gave it to someone.
    But never trust a reforge. It will turn your life upside down.
    From checking the wiki, I can only find a reforge that increases the max durability of an item. Doesn't say that it prevents repair failures.
    Zairak wrote: »
    But, Jexso...

If they take max durability loss out, nobody will ever get to be a Friend of Ferghus.

=(

Does anyone even have that title? 'Cause it's nearly impossible to get.
  • JexsoJexso
    Zairak wrote: »
    But, Jexso...

=(

It could be renewed on how to get the title if some players would like to keep getting it.

Are people not thinking of all the money they could be saving if we didn't have this or they just love burning it away? It benefits us all to not have this game function. Which is another topic I'd like to talk about another day on Nexon pricing the cash items so high and players getting way less for what they pay for as compared to other companies that give players more.

I don't know, but why eat soup with a fork when you can use a spoon? Sort of speak.
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    At least let us have someone who can do a "Restore Max Durability" to items, or perhaps let there be a Blacksmith skill for Repair, and at Grandmaster Blacksmith they can have an occasional chance to restore 1 point of Max Durability too.
    Theia
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    I don't think the durability system is going away anytime soon. There is no reforge that gives "resistance to durability loss" (you must have misread it) and the "increases an items durability" reforge is likely to not be implemented since no one has ever provided proof of its existence in the game.

If they removed losing durability from repair failure, then there would be no reason to buy repair protection potions. There would be no reason to repair at anyone other than ferghus. Blacksmithing skill for repairing would be amazing but will likely not happen or will require some ridiculous materials (such as the ones used to craft the original item or something new and difficult to find). The idea would fundamentally change a premise the game is built on similar to "removing all bank fees" or something. It's just not going to happen and to be honest, it shouldn't happen.
    Maia wrote: »
    I don't think the durability system is going away anytime soon. There is no reforge that gives "resistance to durability loss" (you must have misread it) and the "increases an items durability" reforge is likely to not be implemented since no one has ever provided proof of its existence in the game.

If they removed losing durability from repair failure, then there would be no reason to buy repair protection potions. There would be no reason to repair at anyone other than ferghus. Blacksmithing skill for repairing would be amazing but will likely not happen or will require some ridiculous materials (such as the ones used to craft the original item or something new and difficult to find). The idea would fundamentally change a premise the game is built on similar to "removing all bank fees" or something. It's just not going to happen and to be honest, it shouldn't happen.

Must have had that repair protect pot applied to it then.

The only time anyone would repair at Ferghus is during a 100% repair event. I'm still waiting for another one so I can use some Ferghus free repair coupons from eons ago.

If they did allow blacksmithing repair, it could revive Bangor and even metallurgy.

But holy water still gives a greater chance of preventing repair disasters right?
  • RaishiiRaishii

Well, for starters, you'd have to be either insane or stupid to be buying those repair protections from the cash shop. No matter how high-end your gear is, there's no way someone in their right mind would willingly pay almost $9 for a protection that can dissipate any time you decide to repair at an NPC. And if all NPCs can 100% repair and it costs the same amount of gold anywhere, why would someone only want to repair at Ferghus?
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited July 18, 2017

Well, for starters, you'd have to be either insane or stupid to be buying those repair protections from the cash shop. No matter how high-end your gear is, there's no way someone in their right mind would willingly pay almost $9 for a protection that can dissipate any time you decide to repair at an NPC. And if all NPCs can 100% repair and it costs the same amount of gold anywhere, why would someone only want to repair at Ferghus?

My point is that if you remove the max-durability loss from repairing, you destroy the mechanic of some NPC's having better skills. You eliminate that part of the game and a decision players have to make regarding their gear. I don't really think that's a step forward. People do pay for those protections, less so with the style tab now but people still do it especially on their mega-expensive weapons or whatever.

You also eliminate a primary point in having higher maximum durability weapons and alternatives. The only perk remaining would be how long you go between repairs rather than the lasting ability of the weapon to not break. Platinum and golden hammers of durability become nearly worthless as well. Platinum hammers exist to regain that durability and are rather steadily introduced into the economy. If you don't like losing max durability, pay 1m per point to regain it.

Lastly, I've had "end-game" gear time and time again. Repairs have not killed a single item I own because, well, I don't repair at ferghus. If you don't want to lose durability, repair at 97-98% and you'll be fine regardless of how much you use your items. No, I'm not very lucky and I do lose points. However, I get them back from hammers (event or purchased). Heck, I still have repair protection on some (most) of my items that I got from events who even knows how long ago. Repairing doesn't kill equipment, enchanting or special upgrading does. Repairing just dings it.
    TheNyanCat
  • RaishiiRaishii
    edited July 18, 2017
    My point is that if you remove the max-durability loss from repairing, you destroy the mechanic of some NPC's having better skills. You eliminate that part of the game and a decision players have to make regarding their gear. I don't really think that's a step forward. People do pay for those protections, less so with the style tab now but people still do it especially on their mega-expensive weapons or whatever.

I see no problem with eliminating an old mechanic. That's just apart of game evolution. And personally, it was never even a good mechanic in the first place. It makes no sense how a person manages to damage something even more when trying to fix it. That's like taking your car to get a dent fixed, and them managing to bust a hole through the side of the car.
    You also eliminate a primary point in having higher maximum durability weapons and alternatives. The only perk remaining would be how long you go between repairs rather than the lasting ability of the weapon to not break. Platinum and golden hammers of durability become nearly worthless as well. Platinum hammers exist to regain that durability and are rather steadily introduced into the economy. If you don't like losing max durability, pay 1m per point to regain it.

And? Games that don't have this repair mechanic don't suffer from this. Besides, newer and better equipment will always be released. Platinum and Golden hammers becoming obsolete would be no skin off my teeth. It wouldn't be the first time a mechanic has changed and nullified an items use. i.e Remote Administrative Office Coupons.
    Lastly, I've had "end-game" gear time and time again. Repairs have not killed a single item I own because, well, I don't repair at ferghus. If you don't want to lose durability, repair at 97-98% and you'll be fine regardless of how much you use your items. No, I'm not very lucky and I do lose points. However, I get them back from hammers (event or purchased). Heck, I still have repair protection on some (most) of my items that I got from events who even knows how long ago. Repairing doesn't kill equipment, enchanting or special upgrading does. Repairing just dings it.

...It should be pretty obvious that nobody repairs their high-end gear at Ferghus, so I'm not sure why you're trying to give advice on that matter, lol. Even at 98% + blessings, plenty of friends and I have stories to tell about Edern's repair failures. The point still stands that repair failures shouldn't exist.
    Jexso
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    I'm not sure about getting rid of repair failures altogether. How about simply downgrading the penalty of failures from max durability loss to current durability loss.
  • JexsoJexso

YangKoete wrote: »
    At least let us have someone who can do a "Restore Max Durability" to items, or perhaps let there be a Blacksmith skill for Repair, and at Grandmaster Blacksmith they can have an occasional chance to restore 1 point of Max Durability too.
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about getting rid of repair failures altogether. How about simply downgrading the penalty of failures from max durability loss to current durability loss.

Both are not bad ideas... One time I even thought that it'd be great having partners that could have 99% fix rates on Blacksmith, Magic, and Alchemy repairs like the maids do on clothes.
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    At least they did a small update where they added in 100% repair rate option on every NPC so you don't have to worry about losing the dura from repair fail but they'll be like double the price compared to 98% repair cost so it'll be really expensive but better than nothing.

I'm really glad they actually introduced the Style tab for us to use a long time ago so we cans safely wear fashion stuffs without worrying about repairing them.
    Jexso
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665

That would make quality repairs completely pointless, failing a 98% repair would add on several thousands of gold to your repair fee but why do that when you can just go fail 10 points at Ferghus and just pay an extra 300g?
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    edited July 19, 2017
    I like the idea of doing away with max durability loss. The whole max durability loss thing is the main reason why I'm kind of scared to invest in the fancier, multi-million gold gear. With basic NPC shop gear, you can always easily buy a replacement. But with stuff that comes from the cash shop or rare drops...Yeah, that's when max durability loss has you yelling at the repair NPC like, "YOU ANIMAL!! HOW COULD YOU!!" and running away in tears like a little girl whose brother just rubbed a live frog across her lips.

To compensate for removing the chance for repairs to fail, repair costs could now depend on your character's total level or CP. As for replacing the protection potion in the cash shop, a good successor would be repair cost discount coupons: a book of 10 for $9 or $1 each for loose coupons, which each give a discount of something like 50%-70% off (which could either be fixed or dependent on your max level or CP). So, the "They'll never do it because it'll cut into profits" argument is moot. There will be players who would gladly buy the discount coupons who would probably not fork over the cash for the protection potions, which would make Nexon more money...Well, that's my theory anyway. *Insert Matt Pat quote here*
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    TheNyanCat wrote: »

That would make quality repairs completely pointless, failing a 98% repair would add on several thousands of gold to your repair fee but why do that when you can just go fail 10 points at Ferghus and just pay an extra 300g?

Yeah, I forgot that they don't charge for failures.