Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Of Bugs and Legacy Code

ArchdukeValeCortezArchdukeValeCortez
Mabinogi Rep: 2,380
edited July 24, 2017 in General Chat
Legit serious questions.

Do the NA devs have any input in Mabi? Or do they just make sure the hamster is fed in the server room?

And does Nexon do bug fixing on older assets? I know bug fixing isn't flashy and doesn't make them money directly so it is low priority, but that combined from what I hear around the forums that NO ONE is left that actually knows the code of Mabi and all they can do is slap things on top of the current code, I feel like bug fixing isn't a thing that Nexon does.

Comments

• LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited July 24, 2017
    In terms of content creation, that's all Korea unless NA requests some sort of event (I think that Wishbone one was an NA exclusive -_-) or a contest regarding designing outfits. It's been forever since the latter though. Basically, NA just implements what KR gives them. Bug fixing is also on KR.

Essentially, because the original team that programmed the game is no longer around, it's difficult to code things with the game. Hence the piling things on top of another. Supposedly, in KR, they do have a team of people working on the Bugs and Glitches.
    badnewsbarrett
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    With the story basically being that Mabi is a big Christmas light-like tangle of old and new code, I'd hate to be one of the people on the bug fixing team. They're probably so overwhelmed with weird code interactions and old glitches that compound on top of new features that trying to figure out what exotic preservative in an 80 ingredient-long list on the side of a processed snack food package gave you an allergic reaction looks like finding a big, dayglow orange circle on a black background in comparison. Makes you kind of feel bad for those guys.

I mean, sure, we players are the ones who have to deal with the glitches and bugs when playing the game, but those guys are the ones who have to go through that demonic Magic Eye puzzle of code to find and fix them. Most people can barely troubleshoot the HTML/CSS on a customizable profile page without wanting to pull their hair out. Slow as their progress might be, Mabi's glitch and bug squishers are heroes, dangit!
    Obsim
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    is there no way for them to just re-code all the old stuff? XD too much work?
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Arjune wrote: »

Maybe if they get raises. XD
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890

True... I mean I cant see them doing it for a less popular region like NA, but mabinogi is still crazy popular over in Korea.... I saw a recent screenshot where almost all 14 channels on a server were marked full XD So maybe eventually they'll do it over there and just transfer it to us since they've already done it. I'm sure it would take a long time though and it might just be too much effort for them
  • 엘소드엘소드
    Mabinogi Rep: 320
    Legit serious questions.

Do the NA devs have any input in Mabi?

You got same-sex marrage, no? How ungrateful to not remember.

No, but seriously; it's the same deal with Nexon's other games; like MapleStory. I heard that the NA team tried their own thing and got reprimanded by Korea.

Combat Arms might be different, since the game closed in Korea but was rebranded as CA:Reloaded here.

• PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    All complaints should go here.
  • ArchdukeValeCortezArchdukeValeCortez
    Pan wrote: »
    All complaints should go here.

I just bring up bug fixing because my sister and I have started to dabble in upgrading. Specifically she wanted to gem upgrade her Royal Knight Armor. Well she can't. Because it is bugged. And has been since who knows how long ago.

And if the NA dev team don't add new things to the game and basically just keep the server on, maybe they could be tasked with bug fixing. How many people does it take to feed a hamster anyway?
  • FalmostaFalmosta
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,590

You can do that by buying lots more NX for them........ maybe
  • ArchdukeValeCortezArchdukeValeCortez
    Falmosta wrote: »

You can do that by buying lots more NX for them........ maybe

Or VIP status, but have you seen what the KR VIP status people get? The NA version is crap compared. Still I bought the VIP status for my sister and myself because we don't have the moon gate book anymore and waiting half an in game day (18 minutes) to change continents is a pain.
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
    I'm still waiting for the G17 patch that raises the house shop and bank gold limits.

http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Foreign_Content