[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

No strategy discussion

LiyetaLiyeta
Mabinogi Rep: 6,040
edited August 13, 2017 in General Chat
I mean sure, there is ap training, skill seal, training pots, brionac, lvl 100-200 training bonus, ace rebirth card, reforges, op weapon, and op enchant from gacha.

But for free 2 play low to mid player base those thingies might not be accessible to them. Even for casual paying player.

I know this is hypocritical but why is there no strategy discussion here in forum ? Also there is almost none too in game from what i see. What happen ?

I remember in 2011 strategy discussion is all the rage and people are doing it for hours.

Comments

• ObsimObsim
    Mabinogi Rep: 910
    Just ignore all that stuff about reforges and such. It's ridiculous how gear and stat happy people can get. Really you hit the nail on the head, use the skills you have to ensure that the situation favours your methods, there are strategies for everything, which is why I love to play a "hybrid" as some spiteful players have called it.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,715
    edited August 13, 2017
    Strategy went out the window when everything is either a one shot or a sponge tank. And everything in turn one-shots U. Power-creeping to feed their bottom-line without first establishing any real balance was a bad move on devkitty's part. ;)

Back in the good ol' days a pro Peaca party used to consist of a Wmiller for safety/ Mage 4 nuking/ Healer/magic music buffer/and a ranger 4 sniping.

Nowadays one dude can solo carry an entire team in Peaca abyss. :D
  • LiyetaLiyeta
    edited August 13, 2017
    Hmm. True, after a certain max damage, skill are not really required.

But with how things are going, they just dumb things down, add a ton of next to useless filler item, and boasting the cash shop along with really bad event.

Isn't that feels like typical trash chinese f2p mmo ?

I do understand its for the newbs to catch up.

There is also an option to ignore everything and just do things without touching the player market or other ridiculous things in game.

But eh, that sounds really lame.

I guess i will just reduce my play time and wait for a proper mmo made not by nexon.
  • RheyRhey
    edited August 13, 2017
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Hmm. True, after a certain max damage, skill are not really required.

But with how things are going, they just dumb things down, add a ton of next to useless filler item, and boasting the cash shop along with really bad event.

Isn't that feels like typical trash chinese f2p mmo ?

I do understand its for the newbs to catch up.

There is also an option to ignore everything and just do things without touching the player market or other ridiculous things in game.

But eh, that sounds really lame.

I guess i will just reduce my play time and wait for a proper mmo made not by nexon.

U know what was the coolest teamwork skill Mabi used 2 exclusively had?

Fusion bolt.

They shuld had developed on that idea more but stuffing the gacha with moar wings takes priority I guess...attention.gif
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,030
    Honestly I hate discussing strategies with other "old pros" because a lot of their advice is outdated (and indeed, more suitable for Mabi 2011 than Mabi 2017).

They still say things like "Windmill is hell to train", "Refining is hell to train, so don't rank Prod Mastery or Archery", "don't play Magic as a newbie" etc. None of these things are true in the current Mabi.

A few months ago, I found myself with an unusually large stockpile of Glowing Stone Gargoyle Statues, so I tried to sell them. I was helpfully advised by several different long-time players: "Noooo keep them cuz they're rare and you need them for lots of quests!!".
    There were two quests that used Glowing Stone Gargoyle Statues. One of them only requires ONE statue (I had over 70---hint: they're not rare), and the statue is not consumed during the quest. The other quest has been removed from the game since 2012.

I get the impression that some of these people are stuck in the Mabi from 5-6 years ago and don't realise how much the early-to-mid game has changed since then.

The gameplay experience I get from my noobie alts today is very different from what I got from my noobie main in 2009. It's much easier (so much easier I could cry), which means there's not much reason for me to look for strategies because I'm not having trouble getting through the quests.

I used to ask "what should I use to beat this boss?"; now I just ask "how the hell is this noob doing so much damage?".

badnewsbarrettMikuV3KokoroPolicromaAstralBlue
  • RheyRhey
    Eralea wrote: »
    Honestly I hate discussing strategies with other "old pros" because a lot of their advice is outdated (and indeed, more suitable for Mabi 2011 than Mabi 2017).

They still say things like "Windmill is hell to train", "Refining is hell to train, so don't rank Prod Mastery or Archery", "don't play Magic as a newbie" etc. None of these things are true in the current Mabi.

A few months ago, I found myself with an unusually large stockpile of Glowing Stone Gargoyle Statues, so I tried to sell them. I was helpfully advised by several different long-time players: "Noooo keep them cuz they're rare and you need them for lots of quests!!".
    There were two quests that used Glowing Stone Gargoyle Statues. One of them only requires ONE statue (I had over 70---hint: they're not rare), and the statue is not consumed during the quest. The other quest has been removed from the game since 2012.

I get the impression that some of these people are stuck in the Mabi from 5-6 years ago and don't realise how much the early-to-mid game has changed since then.

The gameplay experience I get from my noobie alts today is very different from what I got from my noobie main in 2009. It's much easier (so much easier I could cry), which means there's not much reason for me to look for strategies because I'm not having trouble getting through the quests.

I used to ask "what should I use to beat this boss?"; now I just ask "how the hell is this noob doing so much damage?".

2 be fair...We "old pros" are mostly solonogist. So if ur talking to one @ all to discuss outdated strategy that wouldn't fly in solo play it's prolly an "Old Noob" who hasn't caught up with the times. Since...well, it's a noob. Wutcha expect? :p
  • LiyetaLiyeta
    Yea fushion bolt used to be cool.
    Also firebolt assault slash.
    And counter stacking for gargoyle.

Pfft glowing gargoyle statue is not really useful. So is other glowing statue.

Skill ranking is super easy if you train them at lvl 200.

But thats the thing, no one share nor discuss those changes so most of the vets is have no clue about it.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    Just last year I was making millions off of pages. Today, you can barely make 100k.
  • LiyetaLiyeta
    Ar pg 5 and 9.
    Ice spear page 2 and 4.
    Fb page 3,4,7,9 still fetch me a good 600k ea.

• JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,540
    edited August 13, 2017
    One of the most core, main, central strategies/tricks is n+1.
    How many new people even know what it is?
    And why the heck would they nerf RP missions difficulty???
    The G1 boss fight use to be epic. Kill gargoyles, collect firewood, collect seal scrolls, burn them and be able to wound Glas so that he can't heal back the damage and repeat after the seal scrolls time is used up. All while struggling to stay alive. Now a newbie goes in there, attacks Glas directly and kills him in a few seconds!

How is this better? How is this fun?

I remember when I farmed Ciar Beginner because Ciar Normal was too hard to solo... Good times.
    courtneyy
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,030
    I ended up keeping the Glowing Stone Gargoyle Statues! I use them to quickly level up noobie alts during AP events. It's difficult to sketch the Lich as a giant, so I just turn them in for exp. It's 12k EXP and 18k Exploration EXP per statue.

x94PB.png

Betcha never heard of that strategy before.

Of course this only works if you happen to have a stockpile of 70+ statues lying around.

badnewsbarrett
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,900
    edited August 13, 2017

I agree with this part so much, especially because I think it scares new players into never touching certain Talents and skills, so they don't get to experience them. I joined a few years ago and started with Close Combat, and now have Ninja, but I haven't tried any other Talents because I was told for years basically "no don't do that, it's too hard/too grindy/too boring/etc" about whatever I wanted to try. So every time I wanted to switch Talents, I never did because I always remembered people telling me it was too much of this or that.

I made an objective for myself that once I was done with mission points, I was going to pick a new Talent to try. Now that I'm done with the event, I guess it's time to do that, huh? xD
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,540
    edited August 13, 2017

I agree with this part so much, especially because I think it scares new players into never touching certain Talents and skills, so they don't get to experience them. I joined a few years ago and started with Close Combat, and now have Ninja, but I haven't tried any other Talents because I was told for years basically "no don't do that, it's too hard/too grindy/too boring/etc" about whatever I wanted to try. So every time I wanted to switch Talents, I never did because I always remembered people telling me it was too much of this or that.

I made an objective for myself that once I was done with mission points, I was going to pick a new Talent to try. Now that I'm done with the event, I guess it's time to do that, huh? xD

This is the same reason I've not touched Magic Craft or Hillwen Engineering much yet. I started it very recently and found it really isn't that hard. Certainly harder than Refining (which btw is easy now that they changed the requirements). Now people are telling me that mastering it is the hard part. Time vill tell. Sooner or later, time vill tell.
    Keep in mind that all us old players didn't have the 2x talent training bonus and had MUCH lower stats so killing things was harder. Everything we said was hard is less than half as hard (2x talent, reforge exp, and now Lv100+ bonuses).
    badnewsbarrett
  • dra011dra011
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    Strategy honestly it isn't all that necessary anymore for most players with all the reforges stat boosts "op" skills also strategy doesn't help much when the thing you have one for has so much hp it can just tank everything and has heavy stander or equivalent and just runs right through every attack you do.
  • LiyetaLiyeta
    Magic craft and engineering is equally easy. It just takes a lot of time and money.
    That repair price is kinda bad.
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,900
    jjeremy wrote: »

This is the same reason I've not touched Magic Craft or Hillwen Engineering much yet. I started it very recently and found it really isn't that hard. Certainly harder than Refining (which btw is easy now that they changed the requirements). Now people are telling me that mastering it is the hard part. Time vill tell. Sooner or later, time vill tell.
    Keep in mind that all us old players didn't have the 2x talent training bonus and had MUCH lower stats so killing things was harder. Everything we said was hard is less than half as hard (2x talent, reforge exp, and now Lv100+ bonuses).

I mean, I understand someone warning other players that a Talent is hard or grindy or something because that's how they experienced it, I'm not holding anyone's opinion against them lol. It's just to me there's a difference between that and the people who every time someone mentions wanting to try a new Talent they didn't like, they try to talk that person out of doing it v.v

Personally I wanna try Puppetry next and I'm really excited for it :D Magic Craft and Hillwen Engineering sounds fun too though.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,465
    I leveled every talent to expert in hours. I was only using 4x training too.
    Now you can get like 6-10x training.
    Leveling anything is this game is that hard anymore you can master talents within a weekend.

Also the only real strategies people are gonna use now are tribolt wands and final hit/bash spam.
    And magic/archery is seems to be the safest end game talent.
  • ArchdukeValeCortezArchdukeValeCortez
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,360
    Opalthira wrote: »
    I leveled every talent to expert in hours. I was only using 4x training too.
    Now you can get like 6-10x training.
    Leveling anything is this game is that hard anymore you can master talents within a weekend.

Also the only real strategies people are gonna use now are tribolt wands and final hit/bash spam.
    And magic/archery is seems to be the safest end game talent.

I agree. Level can be fast, especially with so many events going on and how much you can stack things. Since this week is Fighter week, I didn't touch it at all until we got the bonus which is x2. Throw on x2 for the active talent. x2 from a potion I got from the giant event. Add another x2 from being level 200, again thanks to the giant event. I'm already a Champion Fighter and I only spent 1 evening this weekend actually going out of my way to train Fighter.

However, I wouldn't say strategy is dead. I did plan to stack all those bonuses this weekend to go through Fighter as fast as possible. If only Ninja was this coming week instead of last, when I had 0 AP. I saved all my rebirth potions for the weekend which was again planned.

However, I do agree. Bash, upon discovering it's usefulness and realizing that durability decay isn't nearly as bad as I feared, has become the go to ability dethroning Smash. For my sister, she used to be all archery until she dabbled in Magic and now uses magic primarily. Some talents just deal more damage than others and since time is a resource to be managed like any other, we do what is fastest.
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 45,025
    Rhey wrote: »
    Strategy went out the window when everything is either a one shot or a sponge tank. And everything in turn one-shots U. Power-creeping to feed their bottom-line without first establishing any real balance was a bad move on devkitty's part. ;)

Back in the good ol' days a pro Peaca party used to consist of a Wmiller for safety/ Mage 4 nuking/ Healer/magic music buffer/and a ranger 4 sniping.

Nowadays one dude can solo carry an entire team in Peaca abyss. :D

That's too slow. Yeah "strategy" was a thing back in the day, team work, brought people closer, yada yada, blah blah. But ultimately it got old because it took FOREVER. And for what? Craptastic drops? I'll take one shotting things any day so I can rinse and repeat faster. There are too many things to do in Mabinogi everyday than be stuck in ONE dungeon before being hauled off to real life problems.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,745
    Maximum damage is the strategy.