Check out the patch notes for the June 18th content update, My Little Pet: http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/23192/
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Weekly Loc Discussion: Title Revamp!

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 19,005
Posts: 1,230
Member, Administrator, Nexon
in Weekly Loc Discussion Archive
Hi-ho, citizens of Erinn! Have you perchance noticed that, along with our most recent update came a revamp of player titles? We've known you've wanted this for a long time, and we're glad to finally be rolling it out as part of a larger initiative to tidy up Mabinogi's localization here and there. Of course, we're keeping an eye on titles that may have missed the first sweep and are working on bringing them up to code as well. Big thanks go to several members of our Mabinogi Production and Customer Service teams who are longtime players themselves and aided Localization in getting at the core of the issue.

With this, your titles should work well not only with each other, but with the proper syntax coming after your character's name - all with more consistent capitalization, too. Beyond this, though, we know many of you are aware of some titles which...diverge a bit from the original Korean. In English, for example, you can be "Altam's Ally," but some of you may want to embrace the lad's thirst with the Korean title, which translates directly as "the one Altam Longs For."

So...what do you think of the title overhaul? And are there any extant titles you'd like us to consider perhaps changing to reflect the original Korean more? Let us know!

- The Mabinogi Localization Team
JazmynBlankeyeJragon0
  1. Should we revamp Altam's Ally?39 votes
    1. YES!
       77% (30 votes)
    2. NO!
       15% (6 votes)
    3. How about we revamp another title instead? (Discuss in the comments!)
       8% (3 votes)

Comments

  • BlankeyeBlankeye
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,395
    Posts: 157
    Member
    edited August 15, 2018
    I mean the Talvish title is also "Who is together with Talvish" in KR as well so if you do one you should also do the other. (the other 3 G20 titles remained relatively the same other than Avelin which was "who is Avelin's Colleague"

    But yes I think it is always important to stay more or less faithful to the original Korean translation and
    uh
    :3c
    TaffytaTetsuFayeKaibaTielmechabreTHICCthighssavelives
  • Jragon0Jragon0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    Posts: 17
    Member
    Yes I definitely would love for titles to be closer to their Korean counterparts. When I learned that Talvish's Comrade title is different, I wished for it to change. I do hope for a title revamp for that. ^^
    Blankeyemechabre
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,615
    Posts: 2,775
    Member
    edited August 15, 2018
    Well it's a small issue but...

    Ever since that "Super Mom/Dad" change from "Super Parent", how about a change (or reversion in this case) to the title "the Lucky"?

    Back in the oooold days, this title used to change depending on the player character's gender calling them "the Lucky Guy" or "the Lucky Girl".
    I like when titles change how they're displayed depending on the character's condition, so I'm pitching the idea that that gets changed back.
    There's even others that do this, like the "Dazzling Dude/Brilliant Babe" title.
    TaffytaImaizumi
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 32,360
    Posts: 7,356
    Member
    As long as it's not a literal direct translation that means something awkward, I think titles can diversify from their current English.
    For those that work as they do, I would keep it as is so not to make it complicated. But since there is only 1 title that can be changed, the community should choose wisely.
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    Posts: 342
    Member
    this is kinda of subject... but theirs two "joy" titles theirs 1st title sharer of joy, then theirs the talent title joy spreader

    I say.... edit "joy spreader" to something that doesn't involve joy nor spreading
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,585
    Posts: 1,009
    Member
    edited August 15, 2018
    ... the Talvish title is also "Who is together with Talvish" ...

    I don't like how that is worded at all; but that is just my opinion.


    On topic, I say keep it the way it is. The whole translation of the story, from what I've read, is fairly different, so the titles may not make as much sense literally translated if everything else is not.

    On another note, when I returned playing, I was highly disappointed that I was no longer "Jazmyn the King of Fishing". ;-; CHANGE IT BACKKKK!!! T_T xD
    YZZPkOr.jpg


    Thank you again, Localization, for fixing the titles. <3
  • mechabremechabre
    Mabinogi Rep: 535
    Posts: 3
    Member
    edited August 15, 2018
    If you change Altam's, you need to change Talvish's. I need this. If you need something less clunky than "Who is Together with Talvish," something more personal than "comrade" would suffice? I don't have any good suggestions, but I for one want the more close vibe from Talvish's title, and I think he deserves it. Especially after G21, haha.

    Change Avelin to Avelin's Colleague and Talvish's to Talvish's Partner, perhaps. It looks like Avelin got a measure of closeness in that title that's different from her more distant KR title, meanwhile Talvish's became more cold in the translation.
    As long as it's not a literal direct translation that means something awkward, I think titles can diversify from their current English.
    For those that work as they do, I would keep it as is so not to make it complicated. But since there is only 1 title that can be changed, the community should choose wisely.

    Where did it say they were only changing one title? Lol.
    IzaBlankeyeJragon0
  • IzaIza
    Mabinogi Rep: 520
    Posts: 3
    Member
    I dislike gendered titles. They're assumptive and exclusive. Gender neutral where possible is always better and less segregated.
    mechabre
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,440
    Posts: 887
    Member
    If we're going to be faithful to the Korean text, lets overhaul G13 and G14: as in, take out the bad Shakespearean dialogue and put in what KR had, which, if translated properly, would've been modern day English.
  • XypixXypix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    Posts: 62
    Member
    Yes, I've always wanted 'Black Rose Master' and 'Black Rose Follower' to be their original meanings...

    the Owner of the Black Rose
    the Slave of the Black Rose
    :>
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,705
    Posts: 1,734
    Member
    overall the changes are nice and I'm glad you did it :)

    I'm still, however, annoyed after all this time that "King of Rock" from the rock paper scissors event got changed to "Ruler of Rock" for seemingly no reason. Usually I don't touch most of the crappy fodder titles from events, but I actually USED King of Rock/Queen of Rock and now it's not King of Rock/Queen of Rock so I couldn't care less. I'd love if you changed that back too.... and if it had something to do with one of the titles being "Scissors Queen" ... well Just because Queen of Scissors could be interpreted differently by dirty-minded people doesn't mean you should have to change it. I mean Master of Hoeing still exists doesn't it?


  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 45,155
    Posts: 6,624
    Member
    Arjune wrote: »
    overall the changes are nice and I'm glad you did it :)

    I'm still, however, annoyed after all this time that "King of Rock" from the rock paper scissors event got changed to "Ruler of Rock" for seemingly no reason. Usually I don't touch most of the crappy fodder titles from events, but I actually USED King of Rock/Queen of Rock and now it's not King of Rock/Queen of Rock so I couldn't care less. I'd love if you changed that back too.... and if it had something to do with one of the titles being "Scissors Queen" ... well Just because Queen of Scissors could be interpreted differently by dirty-minded people doesn't mean you should have to change it. I mean Master of Hoeing still exists doesn't it?


    Can't think of any dirty thoughts on Queen of Scissors.

    *Googles to find out definition*

    Oooookay... I see now. I never knew... LOL.

    We also have Master of Milking... It sounds so hilarious :D and dirty :^)

  • TrishyTrishy
    Mabinogi Rep: 430
    Posts: 3
    Member
    Awesome! I would also love to see some of the older titles effects updates to be a bit more relevant. Specifically some of the older production titles just aren't worth obtaining compared to what the newer production skill titles do.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 32,360
    Posts: 7,356
    Member
    mechabre wrote: »
    If you change Altam's, you need to change Talvish's. I need this. If you need something less clunky than "Who is Together with Talvish," something more personal than "comrade" would suffice? I don't have any good suggestions, but I for one want the more close vibe from Talvish's title, and I think he deserves it. Especially after G21, haha.

    Change Avelin to Avelin's Colleague and Talvish's to Talvish's Partner, perhaps. It looks like Avelin got a measure of closeness in that title that's different from her more distant KR title, meanwhile Talvish's became more cold in the translation.
    As long as it's not a literal direct translation that means something awkward, I think titles can diversify from their current English.
    For those that work as they do, I would keep it as is so not to make it complicated. But since there is only 1 title that can be changed, the community should choose wisely.

    Where did it say they were only changing one title? Lol.

    Because of misleading poll
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,585
    Posts: 1,009
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    Arjune wrote: »
    overall the changes are nice and I'm glad you did it :)

    I'm still, however, annoyed after all this time that "King of Rock" from the rock paper scissors event got changed to "Ruler of Rock" for seemingly no reason. Usually I don't touch most of the crappy fodder titles from events, but I actually USED King of Rock/Queen of Rock and now it's not King of Rock/Queen of Rock so I couldn't care less. I'd love if you changed that back too.... and if it had something to do with one of the titles being "Scissors Queen" ... well Just because Queen of Scissors could be interpreted differently by dirty-minded people doesn't mean you should have to change it. I mean Master of Hoeing still exists doesn't it?


    Can't think of any dirty thoughts on Queen of Scissors.

    *Googles to find out definition*

    Oooookay... I see now. I never knew... LOL.

    We also have Master of Milking... It sounds so hilarious :D and dirty :^)

    And the Master of Hoeing. >.>
    Kensamaofmari
  • TaffytaTaffyta
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,765
    Posts: 38
    Member
    "some of you may want to embrace the lad's thirst" lol, but yeah this is a change I totally support!!

    also, some Talvish Title suggestions were thrown around in the discord so I'm gonna put them heeere:
    "Talvish's Companion"
    "Who is at Talvish's Side"
    "Who Stands with Talvish"
    mechabre
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,360
    Posts: 737
    Member
    -reads thread-
    Me: Hey bb apparently Nexon revamped some titles but I don't know what was revamped, do you?
    Boyfriend: Yeah, look at "the wise".
    Me: Oh, okay.

    BfM35.png

    Oh... okay...

    Does anyone other than my troll know all the titles that were revamped? I don't know why I bothered asking him.
  • Jragon0Jragon0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    Posts: 17
    Member
    Eralea wrote: »
    -reads thread-
    Me: Hey bb apparently Nexon revamped some titles but I don't know what was revamped, do you?
    Boyfriend: Yeah, look at "the wise".
    Me: Oh, okay.

    *Snip*

    Oh... okay...

    Does anyone other than my troll know all the titles that were revamped? I don't know why I bothered asking him.

    I can sorta see why they change it so it links with the 2nd title, like "the Wise and 8th/10th Anniversary Fantasista". However, if you put it with 2nd titles like "Talvish" it would read "the Wise and Talvish" and I can't stop laughing after reading it like that LOL.
    Jazmyn
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,615
    Posts: 2,775
    Member
    Jragon0 wrote: »
    Eralea wrote: »
    -reads thread-
    Me: Hey bb apparently Nexon revamped some titles but I don't know what was revamped, do you?
    Boyfriend: Yeah, look at "the wise".
    Me: Oh, okay.

    *Snip*

    Oh... okay...

    Does anyone other than my troll know all the titles that were revamped? I don't know why I bothered asking him.

    I can sorta see why they change it so it links with the 2nd title, like "the Wise and 8th/10th Anniversary Fantasista". However, if you put it with 2nd titles like "Talvish" it would read "the Wise and Talvish" and I can't stop laughing after reading it like that LOL.

    No no, it's just a mistake.

    There are two "the Wise" titles now.

    The one that's SUPPOSED to be "the Wise and" is the old, and now unobtainable, Dan 1 Magic 2nd title.
    So it'd be used in situations like "the Wise and the Master of Icebolt".

    But like someone mentioned elsewhere, they probably used a "Replace All" thing and it hit the normal "the Wise" title.
  • mechabremechabre
    Mabinogi Rep: 535
    Posts: 3
    Member
    Taffyta wrote: »
    "some of you may want to embrace the lad's thirst" lol, but yeah this is a change I totally support!!

    also, some Talvish Title suggestions were thrown around in the discord so I'm gonna put them heeere:
    "Talvish's Companion"
    "Who is at Talvish's Side"
    "Who Stands with Talvish"

    I love you.
    Taffyta