Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Weekly Loc Discussion: Gods, Demigods, and Deities

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
in Weekly Loc Discussion Archive
Greetings, friends and fellows all, from the airy heights of Mt. Olympus, home of the gods!

*gets tapped on the shoulder and handed a small card*

Wait... Er, there's been an unfortunate mix-up; Zeus and friends are NOT the gods we'll be looking at today. We DO, however, have a great interview lined up with Cichol, who's advertising his new line of classily-embroidered hoodies fit for friend or fomor!

*gets tapped on the shoulder once again and handed another card*

Oh...wow. Ladies and gents, it seems our very limited supply of exclusive Cichol hoodies has already been bartered away to rich collectors by Duncan and Ferghus to feed their drinking habit. We apologize for this embarrassing turn of events, folks! But this just so happens to lead right into our discussion!

Mabinogi has a fascinating cosmology, populated by a variety of gods, demigods, and deities - some of whom we see, and others we know only by name or reference. Are there any deities of Erinn you find particularly interesting? Are there some we're not told too much about that you'd be curious to see the game put the spotlight on? And do you think Erinn's gods and goddesses are ultimately a net good or a net bad for the world? Let us know your thoughts!

- The Mabinogi Localization Team
IyasenuKensamaofmariJazmyn

Comments

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Well there's Aton Cimeni, the big one.
    G19~21 seem to mention that god a lot, but we still don't know too much about them.
    Aton Cimeni doesn't seem as meddle-y as deities like Morrighan and Cichol.

There are those other gods though, like the three with kind of similar names, Lymilark, Hymerark, and Jeamiderark.
    Of those three, only Lymilark seems to get mentioned with any amount of frequency, and that seems to mostly be because Lymilark's name is on all the Holy Water that's a common item players use.

There's lots of minor gods and goddesses that don't get quite enough mention, like Danu, the earth goddess.
    She's basically just mentioned in the item descriptions of Homestead Stones, and in one of the game's books, but not much else, though it's supposedly where the "Tuatha de Dananns" gets their name from.

There's also Aengus, who, like Lymilark, is a god of love.
    I think they're mentioned in the Lyre's item description and maybe once or twice during the Storyline.

Then Cairbre (otherwise misspelled as 'Corple' during a few of the game's older books), most recently mentioned with the Memento update which brought with it the "Blessing of Cairbre" mechanic with the Freestyle Jams.

The spellbook you can read that teaches you the Icebolt skill also mentions a goddess of wisdom named Eladha, but that's probably the only mention, too.

But I guess if I had to pick one I wanted to see more of, it'd probably be Danu.
    Come on, a goddess of the earth!
    She could bring on some earthy-stuff. Like earth skills and magic!
    Give Giants Boulder Throw!
    Or, a homestead update. (hint hint!)
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited September 5, 2018
    Wait... Duncan has a drinking habit?

Hold up, we're getting our lore books ready.

Btw, a crossover from the Olympian Gods would be nice harhar!
    Jazmyn
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Many of the gods in Mabi seem to be related to the ones from celtic mythology, but I can't figure out who Lymilark (and her two friends) are supposed to be. Were they made up just for Mabi?
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Is Lorna (Praise be Her name) immortal like Tin or is She just a cute girl? Is Pan a fomor or just a talking sheep?
    Is Lorna (Praise be Her name) immortal like Tin or is She just a cute girl? Is Pan a fomor or just a talking sheep?

Lorna is a Milletian and Pan is just a talking sheep.
    I think we need more Celtic deities added to see if they have a clearer impact on Erinn.
    And these are a few others that have been added but hardly mentioned.
    Danu - he Goddess of the Land and the Earth. She was mentioned in The Story of Spiral Hill and was believed to create Spiral Hill. Danu was also mentioned on the Homestead Stone description, stating that the item contains her powers. In the Irish Mythology, Tuatha de Danann means "People of the Goddess Danu"

Eladha: The Goddess of Wisdom. She was mentioned in Icebolt Spell: Origin and Training.

Manannan mac Lir: The God of the Sea. A worker in the Commonwealth of Belvast mentions Manannan as someone to whom the people pray when they throw coins into the fountain to wish for good weather and peaceful seas. Cordelia in the same area also says a three-legged Parrotbill is his true form. The Falias Gatekeeper also mentions himself to be one of his nine sons.

And I feel that there are some characters in Erinn that are loosely based with mythology, such as Cessair, said to be a leader of first inhabitants of Ireland (Christian inhabitants) which can allow us to speculate about Erinn's Cessair.

Credne is portrayed as some sort of smith. In mythology is was a goldsmith and son of Brigid (portrayed from Roman Minerva) and Tuireann.
    As there is carpentry in Erinn, I wonder if Luchtaine brother of Credne should be mentioned. And also Giobhniu also a brother is a smith.

So much deities that can be there.

For the ones we do have

Aengus is interesting as a similarity to Greco-Roman Apollo. In Erinn, he is just known as a God of Love. He is also a god of poetic inspiration and youth, so I'm wondering if there can be more about him and association with bards. It was mentioned that he uses the lyre to make people fall in love. But that role was given to Cairbre, which leaves Aengus hanging with a minimized role.

For Danu, associating her with the land and things like homestead does make sense, but she was also considered the mother of the Tuatha de Dannan. I feel like there isn't enough about her with Erinn's unique landscapes and geography.

Eladha seems fictional, but may be associated with Brigid... It's a big question mark.

Manannan mac Lir is a combo of the sea deities, and I feel like with the vast sea in Erinn, there can be more about him and more development for the seas itself.

Aton Cimeni also appears to be fictional and the all powerful diety. But where is this god when people need him the most?

• GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    To be fair people's lives weren't exactly good when the lesser deities were running the show. I mean we had a massive war between humans that worshiped Morrighan and the Fomors who worships Cichol. Aton seems to be the kind of God that leaves his tools behind and let people grow on their own, for better or for worse. On that note, I think the most compelling god is Cichol. We see this God scheme against you and even loses the worship of his people at some point for allying with you. Yet he still continues on, carrying his grudge, and protectionism of the race that has abandoned him.
    Jazmyn
    edited September 7, 2018
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    To be fair people's lives weren't exactly good when the lesser deities were running the show. I mean we had a massive war between humans that worshiped Morrighan and the Fomors who worships Cichol. Aton seems to be the kind of God that leaves his tools behind and let people grow on their own, for better or for worse. On that note, I think the most compelling god is Cichol. We see this God scheme against you and even loses the worship of his people at some point for allying with you. Yet he still continues on, carrying his grudge, and protectionism of the race that has abandoned him.

I wonder what Cichol's current stance is when technically much of the Fomorians and Tuatha de Dannan have made peace. Or much of them at peace.
  • courtneyycourtneyy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    Katherz wrote: »
    Wait... Er, there's been an unfortunate mix-up; Zeus and friends are NOT the gods we'll be looking at today. We DO, however, have a great interview lined up with Cichol, who's advertising his new line of classily-embroidered hoodies fit for friend or fomor!

Wait......... what?! Hoodies? Seriously? I want to buy one - Nao!
    Seriously if you guys had a clothing line of tshirts and hoodies, I'd throw my wallet at you.

That's all I can think of as a response to this thread. The whole hoodies idea took over my brain :L
  • YorozuyaYorozuya
    Mabinogi Rep: 775
    Would be nice if they explain Falias' Gatekeeper, and the other cities of the gods that Tarlach/Milia mentioned.

**Potential G22 Spoiler**
    I know from SK another one pops up in, and a big one too. I think it was Hymerark... or was it Jeamiderark? Maybe we'll get more info on Aton Cimeni too

As for Cichol... Boy so I want to know his reaction after *SPOILER* gave him the boot. Also, I want Cichol's and Morrighan's reaction to the Milletain becoming a deity in their own right; They really don't like how the Milletian is getting so powerful after all, they must be so pissed/annoyed.

Actually, I want ALL of the deities' reactions - I remember Nuadha offering the Milletian a way to becoming a god, and the MC rejects him; I think Neamhein still dislike the MC; and who knows what the others think. I also wonder what they think of T****** becoming one too.
  • EmerisEmeris
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,120
    courtneyy wrote: »
    Katherz wrote: »

Wait......... what?! Hoodies? Seriously? I want to buy one - Nao!
    Seriously if you guys had a clothing line of tshirts and hoodies, I'd throw my wallet at you.

That's all I can think of as a response to this thread. The whole hoodies idea took over my brain :L
    Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction as well.
    I'd be so stoked to see a Cichol-like hoodie or robe in-game or in real life!
    Yorozuya wrote: »
    Would be nice if they explain Falias' Gatekeeper, and the other cities of the gods that Tarlach/Milia mentioned.

**Potential G22 Spoiler**
    I know from SK another one pops up in, and a big one too. I think it was Hymerark... or was it Jeamiderark? Maybe we'll get more info on Aton Cimeni too

As for Cichol... Boy so I want to know his reaction after *SPOILER* gave him the boot. Also, I want Cichol's and Morrighan's reaction to the Milletain becoming a deity in their own right; They really don't like how the Milletian is getting so powerful after all, they must be so pissed/annoyed.

Actually, I want ALL of the deities' reactions - I remember Nuadha offering the Milletian a way to becoming a god, and the MC rejects him; I think Neamhein still dislike the MC; and who knows what the others think. I also wonder what they think of T****** becoming one too.

Didn't XO event say something about Falias Gatekeepr?