Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dinner (& Dessert) with Mabinogi

JazmynJazmyn
Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
edited September 28, 2018 in Town Square
Since so many of us are busy with things like work, school, foruming, and Mabinogi; I thought maybe we could all share some recipes to help each other figure out something new to make for dinner so we still feed ourselves, but don't sacrifice as much of our wonderful Mabinogi time. xD

(Or, I'm just really bad at coming up with new dinner ideas that I'm just stumped and Google is NOT being very helpful.)

So, what are your quick, go-to recipes for a gaming day? (Monster and Doritos don't count! :D)

And don't forget to post what you ate if you try something new! XD

A good format might be:
Or however you want, just prefer the recipes posted here instead of linked from some website. xD

Name of Food

Ingredients
-
-
-

Instructions
1. Steps here
2. And here
3. And here

Etc.
KensamaofmariForeRuniaDreadhawk

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I shall post a recipe of one of my hearty meals I tend to make while in school. I have posted it before in some very old food thread, but it shall return in this new one... Well I shall post it after I complete my current workload.
    JazmynDreadhawk
  • DreadhawkDreadhawk
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,525
    edited September 30, 2018
    I love to experiment with food. I've recently successfully lost 120lbs, but I still love to eat so I can throw up some recipes on both ends of the spectrum.
    My weight-loss journey was, I think, simple and effective. If any of you are interested in losing weight, or even just hearing about what I did to see if you can apply it to your lifestyle, PM me.

Healthy:
    "PowerGel"
    Original Recipe
    Ingredients:
    30 grams (about 6 packets) Knox gelatin, unflavored.
    240 grams (1 cup) cold water
    720 grams (3 cups) boiling water
    10 grams (2 tsp) of Inulin/your fiber powder supplement of choice (I like Swanson and Bulk Supplements brands)
    20 grams (4 tsp) of Potassium powder supplement (I use Bulk Supplements brand)
    10 grams of flavor of your choice (Mio/Crystal Light/Koolaid/etc water enhances, liquid)

Instructions:
    Pour Knox gelatin, fiber and potassium powder into large bowl. Add cold water and stir until just mixed, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add your water enhancer of choice and mix about 30 seconds until just combined. Let the cold mixture sit and form the gelatin base while you bring water to a boil in a small pot. Once the water is boiling, add 3 cups to the gelatin mix and stir until it is entirely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir until you see no clumps and the entire mix looks smooth and uniform. It will look like any typical jell-o mix.
    Taste test and add more water enhancer if needed.

Place in fridge and let sit for at least 4 hours.
    This is great as a super low-calorie snack, or to binge eat after a gym session. Since it is mostly water, it not only hydrates you, but gets you the protein your muscles need and the fiber to help you feel full! And Potassium is necessary to help absorb other nutrients, so it's an all-around winner as far as nutrition goes!

Nutrition Information:
    fUVtSyj.png

Nilla Wafer Pie Crust Alternative
    Original Recipe
    coming soon

Diner-Style Broccoli Meatloaf
    Original Recipe
    coming soon

Other alternatives to help you live a healthier lifestyle or "how I gave up the weight without giving up good food":
    1. This goes for ANY food, and it's possibly the biggest thing you can do to help manage your weight:
    PAY ATTENTION TO PORTION SIZES.

2. Eat plain Greek yogurt instead of typical everyday yogurt, but flavor it with sugar-free jell-o powder or water enhancers. There are dozens of flavor choices and they are all tasty. Add fiber or potassium powder for increased nutritional benefit. Your body will thank you. Fage is my go-to brand. Cheapest at Costco or other Wholesalers.

3. Dump the sodas and guy sparkling or seltzer water instead. Flavor using sugar-free water enhancers.
    ---Mix your own Monster/Red Bull by mixing 1 part Green Thunder Mio with 1 part Lemonade Mio into seltzer water. You'll never look back!

4. Skip the eggs and oil when baking a boxed cake mix and pour in a seltzer water in their place. The cake will bake exactly the same but without the added calories and fat content! You can even use an actual soda if you want to flavor a cake as well, though it will add in the sugar/calorie contents of that drink to the total amount. Still healthier than with all the oil!

5. Avoid calorie-binging with cake frosting and try eating it with flavored Greek yogurt or sugar-free pudding instead.

6. Smart Flour Pizza, one of the healthiest oven-baked pizza's you can get on the market. Find it for CHEAP at local Grocery Outlets! It's delicious, too!

7. Love pasta? Invest in brands like Banza and POW! That makes pasta using Lentils or other bean types. They are still high in calories, but they are packed with fiber and protein that make it much more beneficial than the empty carbs of your typical pasta brands.

8. Substitute unsweetened almond milk for regular milk in as many recipes as you can, eg: macaroni and cheese. Banza makes boxed macaroni and cheese and the whole box only needs about 30 grams of almond milk to mix it up really well. There is virtually no calorie difference using unsweetened almond milk.

9. Invest in salad dressings made with Greek yogurt, or make your own! A low-calorie, great tasting alternative is made using just Greek yogurt, almond milk, garlic, dill, mustard and salt! Easy to make, and portions are great!

10. Love sliced bread? Check out brands that are less calories per slice, but added nutritional value, such as Dave's Killer Bread. Breads with higher fiber and protein content, or with nuts/seeds added will be loads healthier than your typical white or wheat breads, and once you eat them for a while, you will find it difficult to go back!

Not-so-healthy:

Root Beer Fudge with White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Mousse
    Original Recipe
    Probably my greatest creation to date.
    Ingredients:

Fudge:
    12 packets (2 boxes) of A&W Root Beer drink mix (buy online via Amazon, or in-store at Lucky Supermarkets)
    500 grams (2 1/4th cups) pure cane sugar
    112 grams (1 stick/8 TBSP) unsalted butter
    120 grams (1/2 Cup) Milk (I used lactose-free chocolate milk but any milk, 1%/2%/whole should work)
    90 grams (12 individual) Root Beer-flavored Smashmallows. Can substitute regular marshmallows if you can't find these.
    5 grams (1 TSP) Pure Vanilla Extract
    170 grams (approx 6oz) Semi-Sweet chocolate chips (I prefer Ghirardelli) or a chocolate bar, chopped into chunks

Mousse:
    150 grams (approx 10 TBSP) Heavy whipping cream
    15 grams (approx 1 TBSP) Pure cane sugar
    1 large egg yolk
    1 vanilla bean, scraped
    100 grams (3.5oz) white chocolate chips/chopped bar

Instructions:

Fudge:

Prepare a medium pot/saucepan.
    Ensure you have the chocolate chips/chunks ready and the marshmallows cut in half and standing by.
    Spray a 9x13 baking pan with some nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

Pour the sugar into the pot. Pour the milk into the pot. Place the stick of butter into the pot. Place the heat at about medium-high(~5-6 on the knob). The sugar, milk and butter will begin to melt and bond together. Make sure to stir constantly with a spatula, about every 30 seconds or so. You don't ant any of the mixture burning or sticking to the edges. Once the mixture comes to slight boil, with bubbling rolling up from the edges, begin stirring without stopping for 3 minutes. This is CRUCIAL, as the sugar needs to bond with the other two ingredients precisely. If the mixture is boiling too rapidly, turn the heat down. You may add 6 (SIX) packets of the root beer mix to the pot while it is boiling. It will turn the mix a deep amber color. After the 3 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and immediately add the other 6 (SIX) packets of root beer mix. Stir the powder into the mix until combined, then add the chocolate and marshmallows. Stir this until completely combined. The marshmallows will take some time to melt in, about 3-5 minutes. When combined, pour the entire mixture into the baking pan, ensureing it is spread evenly across the entire pan. If done correctly, you should notice the fudge begin to harden immediately. It should be semi-solid to the touch within minutes.

Place in the fridge while we make the Mousse.
    Nom the leftovers from the pot and spatula.
    Don't burn yourself.

White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Mousse:

Separate your egg yolk into a bowl. Do whatever with the whites. I made an omelet.
    Ensure your white chocolate chips/chunks are standing by and ready to deploy.
    In a small saucepan, combine 30 grams heavy whipping cream and the sugar; cook over medium heat (~5-6) until bubbles form around sides of pan. Pour about half of the mixture into the egg yolk and mix to combine; then return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon,stirring constantly. It should have the consistency of a custard. Thick, but still malleable. Do not allow to boil. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in chocolate until smooth. Split vanilla beans lengthwise. Using the tip of a sharp knife, scrape seeds from the center into chocolate mixture; stir. Transfer to a large bowl; cool 10 minutes. In a small bowl, beat remaining cream until soft peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture.

By the time you finish the Mousse, the fudge should be cold enough to place it on. Pull your pan of fudge out of the fridge and spoon the mousse over it. Use a spatula to evenly coat the fudge, then place it back into the fridge. Let the whole thing cool for about 2 hours.

Once cooled, cut the fudge into squares. I typically do 8x7.
    FOR BEST RESULTS: Keep fudge refrigerated, but allow to sit for ~20-30 minutes before enjoying. It will bring out the flavor of both layers.

Nutrition Information:
    q5eVYVQ.png

Snowfall Brownies
    Original Recipe
    coming soon

Coffee Fudge
    coming soon
    JazmynKensamaofmariForeRuniaSherriTheNyanCat
    edited September 27, 2018
    Pork Rib Link Tomato Soup
    This recipe always helped me after a long day from school back then. Quick, easy and hearty.
    Serves about 5.

1 link of store cut ribs
    (These ribs have been cut across like links)
    3 medium potatoes
    1-2 carrots
    2-3 rib/stick of celery
    1/2 onion
    3-5 tomatoes
    1/8 to a quarter of a head of cabbage
    1 bottle of ketchup
    Salt
    Pepper
    Sugar if needed
    Water

Cooking time minimum 2 1/2 to 3 hours

If you are busy, prepare your ingredients ahead of time.

I deviated from the normal recipe my family used due to time constraints while at school. While at home, bone and separate meat was used for the both, but at school, rib links are a great substitute because they are small and don't need a lot of time to cook.

1. Prepare the rib links first, because they will be important for the broth's flavor. Take the link and cut into cubes at where each bone separates. You may cut it frozen, it could be easier as well depending on how well you maintain your blades. Season with salt and pepper, rub it in all around and wrap up and let the seasoning soak in for about 30 min - hour min and up to 2 hours in the fridge depending on your time constraints.

2. Prepare the vegetables, Cut the potatoes into small chunks which will help them cook faster. Do the same for the carrots and celery. Cut the onion to slices. Cut the cabbage to slices, doesn't have to be thin because boiled cabbage will shrink fast as it releases water. Cut the tomatoes into quarters.

3. In a medium sized pot, fill it with water about 2/3rd of the way to a boil. While that happens, in a pan or skillet, brown your seasoned rib links on all sides in a little oil for about 5-8 minutes.

4. Once your water is boiling, pour all of the ribs with oil (you shouldn't have much oil so it's fine) and the vegetables into the water and wait for it to boil at medium to medium high heat. At this point, you may add the flavoring to the soup or you can wait for the vegetables to soften, it won't matter too much. If you let it boil first, you should get something similar to minestrone. A lot of the flavor will be from the ketchup which will also thicken the soup. Don't add too much otherwise you will get a ketchup soup and there will be no point. As ketchup is tart and savory, your soup can become really sour depending on how much you added, sou can always balance it out by adding a couple spoons of sugar. Of course you can also add more water, but that is just more work. Add pepper for flavor and aroma. Malbar coriander pepper goes really well in my experience.

5. If you added the ketchup early, boil until the solids are tender and potatoes can be poked through. If you had soften your vegetables before adding the flavor, boil for about another 30 min on medium. Remember to stir once in a while because you don't want the potatoes to sink and burn. Starch ingredients can burn easily.

6. Condiments. I didn't add these to the ingredient list but it's up to you. Can be added serving or to the pot once ready.
    Diced green onions, chives and grated cheese are all good options.

You can also serve with slices of toast and some bacon or a fried egg.
    Putting in white rice in it or instant ramen noodle (without the flavoring) are also options.
    ForeRuniaSherriVeylaineJazmyn
  • ForeRuniaForeRunia
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,365
    I'm more of a baker than a chef. So I'm going to tempt everyone with sugar~! (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

I make this for Thanksgiving when I'm too lazy to do anything else:
    RED VELVET CHEESECAKE
    image0.jpg
    Why the picture is sideways, I'll never know. It's straight everywhere else I preview it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I had to omit red food coloring due to an allergy for someone at that party, so that picture isn't as vibrant as red velvet usually is.
    It's a 3-tier 9inch cake, serves around 8-12 people.

INGREDIENTS
    Cheesecake
    - 16oz cream cheese (room temperature)
    - ¾ cups granulated sugar
    - 2 eggs (room temperature)
    - ½ cup heavy cream
    - 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Red Velvet Cake
    - ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
    - 1½ cups granulated sugar
    - 2 eggs
    - ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    - 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    - 1 cup buttermilk
    - 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
    - 1 teaspoon baking soda
    - 1 teaspoon salt
    - 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
    NOTE: Red food coloring to the color you desire, takes me around 5 tablespoons to get a bright red. You can also do a ½ cup of cocoa powder no issues, if you think it won't taste chocolate-y enough. If you add more, you may need to change the flour ratio so the cake isn't too dry.

Cream Cheese Icing
    - 1 cup butter (room temperature)
    - 8oz cream cheese (room temperature)
    - 5 cups powdered sugar
    - 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
    NOTE: This makes quite a bit of frosting, enough for a half inch layer around the cake. I'd personally cut this in half, but some people like the frosting a lot or you may not want leftover cream cheese as it comes in 8oz packages ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

DIRECTIONS
    Part 1 - Cheesecake
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. I used a 9-inch pan. Line the edges with parchment paper.
    2. Mix the cream cheese and sugar until entirely smooth, and add eggs one at a time(until completely smooth each time). Add heavy cream and vanilla extract and continue mixing until it's blended in well. It's easiest with an electric mixer, but a whisk or a fork(I used that) works well too if you don't mind a workout XD
    3. When you put the cheesecake in the oven, on a rack below it have a pan with water. It makes the cheesecake moist! It takes about 40minutes to an hour to get the edges stiff but the middle still jiggly. It will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven, so do not wait for the edges to brown or you'll get a sticky-in-your-mouth "feels like melted chalk" cheesecake.
    4. When done in the oven, let it chill in the fridge overnight. Or at least 5hours, if you want to do this entire cake in one day.
    Part 2 - Red Velvet Cake
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 9-inch pans again, so it stacks evenly. Springfoam are definitely the easiest to make stacked cakes with, as you won't have to worry about flipping the pan to get the cake out. No matter the pan used, as long as you line the edges with butter and parchment paper(even if it says nonstick) you'll be fine. Can also flour the pan after that for extra nonstick guard. Wait for the cakes to completely cool before removing them from the pan, or your cake will fall apart and that'd be sad (⌯˃̶᷄ ﹏ ˂̶᷄⌯)
    2. Mix the butter and sugar until smooth, then add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla extract, vinegar, buttermilk, and red food coloring(if you're using it). Everything wet first. Like the cheesecake, you want to make sure everything is thoroughly mixed before adding more ingredients.
    3. With a sifter, shake in the cocoa powder, salt and flour. It's easiest to add it bit by bit to make sure it's mixed in smoothly. You don't have to sift these ingredients, but I'd recommend it as it makes the cake is light and fluffy instead of dense and heavy. It'll make the cake not squish itself when you stack it.
    4. Bake in the oven for around 30-40mintues or until you can dip a toothpick/knife in the center and it comes out clean.
    5. When the cakes cool, remove them from the pans.
    Part 3 - Icing
    1. Whip the butter and cream cheese until well blended. Add in the sugar and vanilla mix.
    2. Continue whipping it until the frosting is fluffy and the texture you desire.
    NOTE: You can vary the ratios of sugar and vanilla to taste, just be warned it won't need to be super sweet because of the red velvet cakes and cheesecake.
    Part 4 - Assembly
    1. It's pretty straightforward. You're going to layer it by placing one cake, the cheesecake on top of that, then the other cake on top of the whole thing. After that you'll cover it with the frosting.
    2. You can use a tiny bit of frosting between layers to help them stick together while your assembling it. Can also do this to help the cake stick to the plate or display. Too much frosting can make them slide, so keep it thin! You shouldn't be able to tell you did that, for reference.
    3. If the cakes aren't cooled, crumbs will mix into the frosting and can melt the icing. It will be messy.
    4. You may need to level one or all of the cakes so they're flat and stack more securely. Don't want anything sliding off!
    5. If you omitted the cheesecake, I like to shred some dark chocolate and sprinkle that on top.
    SherriVeylaineJazmynKensamaofmari
  • JazmynJazmyn
    edited September 28, 2018
    @Dreadhawk That's awesome, congratulations on the weight loss! I look forward to some of your recipes. I used to watch the show Chopped for awhile; that is some experimental cooking right there. xD

@Kensamaofmari That sounds really good. I had no idea what a rib link was so I googled it; it makes sense to use as a faster cooking meat on bone. I've never had boiled cabbage either. I found a beef lentil soup recipe that I want to try that also uses cabbage. This seems like a really filling and warm meal for a cool fall day.

@ ForeRunia I loveee baking. I'm not as good with it as I can be at cooking; but yummm, that looks amazing.... I didn't really like the red velvet cakes that I've had before because they've all been rather dry, but yours looks really good and moist, and the cheesecake and icing would balance that out anyways if it's a red velvet thing and not just those other bakers, lol. I LOVE cream cheese frosting, and could eat it out of a container... soo... I'd probably eat way more of this then I should. xD (I make the best buttercream frosting ever too.) I've NEVER made cheesecake, and since this can cool over night, it might be a recipe I could bring to my families Christmas dinner, and experiment with cheesecake making; if it didn't work, I could just make the red velvet cake instead, Lol. (We have more people at Christmas than we do at Thanksgiving.)

Pizza Hotdish - Many people probably already make this, but here's my "version" of it and it's what I made for dinner last night. Using different brand ingredients and a slightly different method then I've ever known with the sauce, it makes it taste a little different from anyone elses I've had.

Ingredients
    1 - 24 oz. Jar of Ragu Spaghetti Sauce flavored with meat
    1 lb. of lean Ground Beef (Mom mom uses Johnsonville italian sausage, and it's to die for D;)
    1 - 12 oz. Box of Mafalda pasta
    30 slices of Hormel pizza Pepperoni (You could substitute a turkey pepperoni, but I'm not sure if that would be any good.)
    2 cups of shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Directions
    1. Grab a large pot and fill with water to boil and put on the stove at whatever temp your heart desires to reach boiling to cook the pasta, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. I use a saute pan to brown the ground beef while the water is boiling.
    3. Once the water is boiling put your pasta in and cook according to the box and your desired "done-ness" of the past; I cook it to tender, or the longest cooking time.
    4. While the pasta is cooking and after the ground beef is browned well, I chop up about 10 pepperoni slices and put it in the pan with the ground beef and let that fry a little to bring out the flavor of the pepperoni's. Add the jar of spaghetti sauce and let that simmer while the pasta is finishing up.
    5. Drain the pasta and mix the sauce and pasta together in whichever pan/pot you feel like. I did it in the saute pan and it wasn't quite large enough for me so I finished mixing it in the baking dish, but I don't recommend doing that with it all.
    6. Pour the pasta, and meat sauce mix into a 13 x 9 glass baking dish; no need to spray or grease the dish.
    7. Place the rest of the pepperoni across the top of the pasta; I did columns of 4 and rows of 5. You could use as much pepperoni as you want, but if you use too much it will become greasy.
    8. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese onto the top of the dish and bake in your preheated oven for 15 - 30 minutes depending on if you want the cheese to melt or just brown; I usually go about 25 minutes because then the edges have crunchy pasta and cheese stuck to the sides but it's not completely dark all across the top.
    9. Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes otherwise you'll burn your face off. XD
    10. Enjoy! Serve alone or make some garlic toast to go along with it.
    KensamaofmariSherriForeRunia
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,120
    edited September 28, 2018
    Here's a desert me and my mom used to make(since the ingredients can be expensive, this is typically a holiday desert for Thanksgiving or Christmas).
    Hershey Bar Pie
    CPieTgedc0965.jpg

Ingredients
    *Gramcracker or Oreo Crust(can buy in Walmart)
    *1 tub of Cool Whip 16 oz (2 big tubs if you're making more than one)
    *1 GIANT Hershey bar(2 if you're making more than one)
    *1 pack of CREAM CHEESE(2packs if you're making more than one)
    Prep Things
    *Take the wrap off of the crusts but keep the crusts in the foils.
    *get a mixing spatula or a spoon.
    *get a microwave-safe mixing bowl.
    *get a cheese grater(if you don't have a cheese grater, get something to smash chocolate with).
    *keep all of the ingredients out.

Instructions
    *Grab your mixing bowl and put half a hershey candybar in the bowl with 1 full cream cheese, Microwave for 30 seconds and stir(this will prevent you from burning the chocolate), repeat the process until everything is melted together, once melted add HALF the tub of cool whip and mix(this will be your filling).
    *Place said filling INTO the crust(it's a desert PIE after all).
    *Use the second half of the COOL WHIP and use it as a topping, EVENLY spread the cool whip until you can't see the filling.
    *Grab the cheese grater and HOVER it over the ALREADY DONE pie, grab some peaces of LEFT OVER chocolate and do what you would with cheese, that'll also be a topping.
    *Once finished 100%, put in the fridge and leave it in there too cool down over night.
    JazmynForeRuniaKensamaofmari
    DANNYdani wrote: »
    Here's a desert me and my mom used to make(since the ingredients can be expensive, this is typically a holiday desert for Thanksgiving or Christmas).
    Hershey Bar Pie
    CPieTgedc0965.jpg

Ingredients
    Prep Things
    *get a cheese grater(if you don't have a cheese grater, get something to smash chocolate with).

Instructions
    *Grab your mixing bowl and put half a hershey candybar in the bowl with 1 full cream cheese, Microwave for 30 seconds and stir(this will prevent you from burning the chocolate), repeat the process until everything is melted together, once melted add HALF the tub of cool whip and mix(this will be your filling).
    *Use the second half of the COOL WHIP and use it as a topping, EVENLY spread the cool whip until you can't see the filling.
    *Grab the cheese grater and HOVER it over the ALREADY DONE pie, grab some peaces of LEFT OVER chocolate and do what you would with cheese, that'll also be a topping.
    *Once finished 100%, put in the fridge and leave it in there too cool down over night.

Doesn't seem too expensive.
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Hershey Bar Pie
    CPieTgedc0965.jpg

Ingredients
    Prep Things

Instructions

it is if you make more than one and don't have a lot of money.
    Kensamaofmari
    Hershey Bar Pie
    CPieTgedc0965.jpg

Ingredients
    Prep Things

Instructions

it is if you make more than one and don't have a lot of money.

At home my brother and I experimented on a pumpkin cheesecake. I now go home to see if it succeeded or failed.
    DANIartsJazmynSherri
  • JazmynJazmyn
    edited September 29, 2018
    @DANNYdani I must make the Hershey Bar Pie. xD

@Kensamaofmari How'd the Pumpkin Cheesecake turn out?! I love Pumpkin.

On the dessert front, I decided to share a not-so-secret family recipe that we ALWAYS do for the holidays. It's a must, and over the years, I became the one to make them instead of my mom.

OREO TRUFFLES!!!

-cough- Now that I have calmed myself a little.... Here is how we do it.

First, you need 36 Oreo Cookies, or 1 package of Oreos. They must be the original type, no double stuff, no thins, no family size package. (You COULD use the different flavors, depending on what you're going for; I've always wanted to try lemon Oreos with this recipe.)
    1 8 oz. package of Philadelphia cream cheese, softened. Let it sit out on the counter; I don't recommend using a microwave, but if you're skilled at softening things in the microwave without cooking it/making it warm, give it a go.
    1 package of White/Vanilla Almond Bark. I'm not sure what the size of the package usually is, but it's always in the baking section at the stores... The package is usually blue. Brand doesn't matter, but we use Plymouth Pantry, they also have chocolate if you want, but I, and most of my family, prefer white almond bark over chocolate; it gets too overwhelming and grossly sweet if you use chocolate.

Now, you need to crush/chop/make really small chunks out of the Oreos. My mom uses a food processor, I'm stuck with a meat tenderizer and gallon Ziploc freezer bags. Try to make it as fine as you can, but it doesn't have to be perfect/powder. It's a bit messy and it's hard work. You burn the calories you need to compensate for when you eat them. xD

Mix the crushed oreos with the package of cream cheese really well. Form the "Oreo cream cheese dough" into little 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch balls on a large cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Put them in the freezer to chill for at least 30 minutes.

When you're ready, melt 1/2 of the almond bark according to the instructions on the package; usually break it into smaller pieces and melt at 30 second intervals in the microwave while stirring in between so it doesn't burn. Dip the oreo balls in the almond bark and put it back on the wax paper. Freeze again. When you're ready to serve them either put them in the fridge over night or set on the counter for a few minutes.

These are amazinggg!!
    ForeRuniaDANIartsSherriKensamaofmariGreta
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Jazmyn wrote: »

On the dessert front, I decided to share a not-so-secret family recipe that we ALWAYS do for the holidays. It's a must, and over the years, I became the one to make them instead of my mom.

OREO TRUFFLES!!!

First, you need 36 Oreo Cookies, or 1 package of Oreos. They must be the original type, no double stuff, no thins, no family size package. (You COULD use the different flavors, depending on what you're going for; I've always wanted to try lemon Oreos with this recipe.)
    1 8 oz. package of Philadelphia cream cheese, softened. Let it sit out on the counter; I don't recommend using a microwave, but if you're skilled at softening things in the microwave without cooking it/making it warm, give it a go.
    1 package of White/Vanilla Almond Bark. I'm not sure what the size of the package usually is, but it's always in the baking section at the stores... The package is usually blue. Brand doesn't matter, but we use Plymouth Pantry, they also have chocolate if you want, but I, and most of my family, prefer white almond bark over chocolate; it gets too overwhelming and grossly sweet if you use chocolate.

Now, you need to crush/chop/make really small chunks out of the Oreos. My mom uses a food processor, I'm stuck with a meat tenderizer and gallon Ziploc freezer bags. Try to make it as fine as you can, but it doesn't have to be perfect/powder. It's a bit messy and it's hard work. You burn the calories you need to compensate for when you eat them. xD

Mix the crushed oreos with the package of cream cheese really well. Form the "Oreo cream cheese dough" into little 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch balls on a large cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Put them in the freezer to chill for at least 30 minutes.

When you're ready, melt 1/2 of the almond bark according to the instructions on the package; usually break it into smaller pieces and melt at 30 second intervals in the microwave while stirring in between so it doesn't burn. Dip the oreo balls in the almond bark and put it back on the wax paper. Freeze again. When you're ready to serve them either put them in the fridge over night or set on the counter for a few minutes.

These are amazinggg!!

now THIS i gotta try, when I save up money, I'll definitely try this out(I babysit).
    JazmynSherri
  • JazmynJazmyn
    edited September 29, 2018
    Jazmyn wrote: »

OREO TRUFFLES!!!

These are amazinggg!!

now THIS i gotta try, when I save up money, I'll definitely try this out(I babysit).

We usually make 2 batches, and when we do, we always mix them separately; we never make a double batch all at once. But if you make the balls small, it will go a long ways. The almond bark is nice, because it doesn't melt in your hands like it would if you were to use real chocolate, like a Hersey bar. You can also keep the finished ones frozen for a couple of months; as long as it's in a sealed container.

Another tip, we have started sticking sucker sticks in the little oreo balls before the first freeze to make it easier to dip in the almond bark; but it's not necessary. When you do that, you have to make the balls a little bigger otherwise they don't hold on to the stick well.
    DANIarts
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Here's another I really like. It's called the sweet mashed potatoes.

Ingredients
    *Regular potatoes(use the half a bag if you're making it for a family dinner)
    *sweet potatoes(use less than half a bag of sweet potatoes. If you use a full bag of regular potatoes, use half a bag of sweet potatoes)
    *1 pack of cream cheese(get 2 packs or 1 pack that has 2 cream cheese in them if you're going with a BIG batch)

Prep Things
    *Large pot(if you're making a big batch) Medium pot (if you're making some for you and your family and want left-overs).
    *Potato peeler(unless you want potato skins in the mix)
    *1 Knife

Instructions
    Take the potatoes out of the bags, wash, and peel them(if you want the skins in the mashed potatoes, just wash the potatoes and cut them). Once peeled, cut them up(both regular potatoes and sweet potatoes) and put them in a medium pot with water until boil.
    Basically do what you would do to make mashed potatoes, once it looks like mashed potatoes, add half the cream cheese and mix it(it should melt like butter due to the potatoes being hot, so mixing it in shouldn't be an issue). If you're making a big batch of mashed potatoes, use the WHOLE cream cheese.

When you add both cream cheese and sweet potatoes in the mix, it's....SO GOOD.
    I hate sweet potatoes so that's LITERALLY the only way I'll eat them.
    JazmynSherriKensamaofmari
  • ForeRuniaForeRunia
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,365
    @Jazmyn I get what you mean with red velvets always being so dry. I think it comes from over-flouring the pan? The cream cheese frosting is so addicting that I only make this cake for holidays. If I have to share it, there won't be leftovers that I'll snack on and I won't feel guilty XD
    And oml those truffles sound so good. My hubby recently made a cheesecake with oreo crust too. There's leftover cookies...ahh...

@DANNYdani The pie reminds me of a pudding pie but with Hersheys. I've never liked pudding pie that much, but your version sounds and looks so much more delicious _(-ω-`_) Definitely trying it out this Halloween!
    ___

TERIYAKI CHICKEN
    This is a really simple recipe that's great for when you don't want to spend much time in the kitchen. Tastes as simple or complex as you want it to, and it's easy to prep in the freezer for days you don't want to cook. Shredded chicken, broccoli and fried rice. Scaled for 1 person so double, triple, etc. as needed. This is my go-to recipe when I end up needing to cook suddenly because there's so little ingredients and it's done in 10minutes or less if you prep.

Ingedients
    - 1 Chicken breast
    - 2 Heads of broccoli
    - ½ Rice (any type you like, but I prefer Jasmine White)
    - 1 cup mixed veggies (carrot and peas)
    - Teriyaki sauce (I like this one because I don't need to think about spices, shake well before using it)
    - Soy Sauce
    - Vegetable oil (or canola)

Can always add more vegetables if you want, or split the chicken breast with someone. Chicken thighs work as well but I think those make the food taste too greasy. Maybe I'm not cooking them right /shrug

Optional Prep
    - You can boil the rice ahead of time, and when it's done place it in the fridge for a day or two. The less moisture in the rice, the better it'll fry. Freezing rice before it's fully dry can turn it into mush, so be wary of that. Most times it's better in the fridge.
    - You can also cut up the chicken and freeze that, so when you go to cook this you just put it in the pan. If you cut it small enough, you shouldn't have to worry about it dethawing too slowly and leaving the inside pink. If you're feeling up to it, marinate the chicken in soy sauce then freeze that.

Steps
    1. If you didn't prep the rice, start boiling it now.
    2. While the rice is cooking, chop up the chicken and clean the breast. If you're feeling extra lazy, boil the chicken breast(takes around 30min) then shred it and clean it. It's ok to take out the chicken before it's cooked thoroughly because of a later step. Overboiling will make the chicken rubbery, so don't worry if it's taken out too soon. You can cut the broccoli while waiting for food to cook.
    3. When the rice is done, place it on the pan with an empty circle in the center. Add a tablespoon of oil to the center, as well as 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. Wait for the oil to heat up before mixing the rice into it. When the rice starts to get cripsy, create the circle in the center again and put the veggie mix in there. Add some more soy sauce on top, and once the veggies are cooked, mix it into the rice. When all of the rice is cripsy and browned, the fried rice is done.
    4. Transfer the rice to a bowl or plate, and add around 3teaspoons of soy sauce to the pan again. You're going to cook the cut up chicken breast, or cook the shredded chicken(if you opted to boil it instead). Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, add the cut up broccoli and add some more soy sauce, just enough to help the broccoli cook to taste. Then you'll add teriyaki sauce and cook that until it's either boiling or seared to the chicken and broccoli(depends on how much you add for which will happen).
    5. Top this on the rice from earlier
    6. Add furikake if you have it, it's good <3
    DANIartsSherriGretaKensamaofmariJazmyn
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    oh cool something i can relate to

Make it taste mexican sauce:

2 tomatos
    1 onion the size of a tomato or half onion if its big
    some chili pepper, the kind that is spicy hot not so much taste, just hot
    butter
    1 or 2 garlic tooth
    salt
    pepper
    like a cup of water
    optional: any sort of pork meat

put it in a blender and cook it on high until it smells real good, thats it eat it with anything
    chicken, soup, meat, pasta, slap it inside a sandwitch, this is the real deal it tastes good on everything
    DANIartsKensamaofmariForeRuniaJazmynSherri
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    oh cool something i can relate to

Make it taste mexican sauce:

2 tomatos
    1 onion the size of a tomato or half onion if its big
    some chili pepper, the kind that is spicy hot not so much taste, just hot
    butter
    1 or 2 garlic tooth
    salt
    pepper
    like a cup of water
    optional: any sort of pork meat

put it in a blender and cook it on high until it smells real good, thats it eat it with anything
    chicken, soup, meat, pasta, slap it inside a sandwitch, this is the real deal it tastes good on everything

To expand on this, slow cook some chicken (Breasts or thighs, whichever you prefer) once it's juuuust about cooked tear it apart with forks, add this sauce and finish cooking the chicken after draining it. Now stuff it in a tortilla and get some chicken taco things.
    JazmynForeRuniaDANIartsSherri
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Ooooh I'm loving this thread!
    JazmynDANIartsSherri
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Guys, this thread is making me hungry and also gives me the urge to try out these recipes even when I'm actually avoiding kitchen. :D
    JazmynDANIarts
    @DANNYdani I will talk about the pumpkin cheesecake tonight. I took a mental break over the weekend. It was flawed.
    Jazmyn
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    @DANNYdani I will talk about the pumpkin cheesecake tonight. I took a mental break over the weekend. It was flawed.

Aweh :c
    Well, at least you got to experiment with foods