Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Region free on the Steam version?

Mandrake158Mandrake158
Mabinogi Rep: 310
in Feedback and Suggestions
Hi there, I don't know if this has (probably has) been requested, but now with the release of MapleStory 2 is a lot more weird

Why is that Mabinogi (and MapleStory) are region locked to the US on the Steam version but can be easily played in (at least) South America on the Nexon launcher.. This means the game is NOT region locked itself, but is region locked on Steam.. I find it really weird MapleStory 2 is not region locked on Steam at all

Would be really cool if you guys can talk to Steam to remove it. If the game has a Steam version I prefer to play it there so I can have everything in one place, but having that weird limitation is just that, weird (I get it on Vindictus since the game itself is region locked, I can't even play it on the Nexon launcher)

Can you guys think about it? Allow players to play it on Steam outside the US
Robykyun

Comments

• IcedrakeIcedrake
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,170
    Might have to look into how steam handles copyright issues, as that may be one of the hangups.
  • Mandrake158Mandrake158
    I think Nexon owns the publishing rights for the games in all the regions, so I don't think that is the problem
    And MapleStory 2 being available outside the US on Steam just begs the question, why is that Mabinogi and MapleStory 1 aren't when they can be played on the launcher itself

Afaik, if they have the publishing rights for all the regions (or at least EU and SA) they can request to remove the lock
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    they probably just want as many players as possible to use their crappy nexon launcher, I have used both launchers for both mabi and MS2 and they always run smoother with steam. nexon launcher is filled with bugs and glitches that can take up to 20 minutes to fix depending on the problem. steam has rarely has a problem launching either game and when it steam does have a problem it takes like 5 minutes to fix. if it wasn't region blocked for the steam launch a lot of players may decide steam is better and even less players will use nexon launcher which may not be good for business which is probably why they keep it blocked on steam everywhere else.
  • AlexisEUAlexisEU
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,520
    Here in Northern Europe. Maplestory, Maplestory 2, Vindictus and Hyper Universe. Is all available on Steam
    However Mabinogi is not.
  • RobykyunRobykyun
    Mabinogi Rep: 830
    This is something we really NEED.

I'm having problems with my nexon launcher for days and since i'm from South America i can't play Mabinogi on Steam. :c
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    Is the steam client still account locked? That's the reason i never touched the thing and idk why anyone would want to
  • Mandrake158Mandrake158
    ThePravin wrote: »
    Is the steam client still account locked? That's the reason i never touched the thing and idk why anyone would want to

Yeah, its still a problem and I hate it.. That's the reason I didn't play MapleStory back on the day, and I even forgot my old account, had to create this one a few years ago.. All because those games aren't available on Steam unless you use a VPN or use their launcher, which is sooo clunky
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited November 16, 2018
    I use Nexon's launcher because I can close it after Mabi launches and it doesn't connect me to steam's social network. It's not too bad.