Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge? Yes PLEASE

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Lol Buttmunch55 is the digital name of John Smith and Jane Doe xD

-- whistles smugly --
    Another issue is how to manage
    1. People with different main characters on different servers.
    2. People with different accounts for different servers.

There will be no problem there. User accounts are already server independent. The account has characters on it and those characters were initialized on whatever server they were created on. The field tieing a character to a particular server is a property of the character not the account. So no problemo señor.

After a merge, in the soul stream screen if you hover the mouse over a character where it used to before say the name of what server the character is on it will still do so but have the name of the new server. Where Nexon can blow it here is if they forget to change the name of the combined server from Alexina to say Nao.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Helsa wrote: »
    Lol Buttmunch55 is the digital name of John Smith and Jane Doe xD

-- whistles smugly --
    Another issue is how to manage
    1. People with different main characters on different servers.
    2. People with different accounts for different servers.

There will be no problem there. User accounts are already server independent. The account has characters on it and those characters were initialized on whatever server they were created on. The field tieing a character to a particular server is a property of the character not the account. So no problemo señor.

After a merge, in the soul stream screen if you hover the mouse over a character where it used to before say the name of what server the character is on it will still do so but have the name of the new server. Where Nexon can blow it here is if they forget to change the name of the combined server from Alexina to say Nao.

Those are just the more simpler parts.
    The 1st point is probably not much of an issue as long as one and there characters are able to retain their assets. And then it's all about accountability.
    The 2nd point I see more complications as someone would not be able to use all their accounts on a merged server, but there may be problems if they are denied moving all assets to 1 account. And other things to worry about.
    There's also the question on how will there be accountability on the transfer of accounts for those with multiple on which ones are qualified for merge and which ones are not, and if someone will be compensated if theirs is not qualified.
    Because again, the process can be manipulated by outside sinister threats and activities.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited October 11, 2018
    The 1st point is probably not much of an issue as long as one and there characters are able to retain their assets. And then it's all about accountability.

There will be no problem there as you say. There would be no reason to wipe a characters inventory or banks of items and gold. It would not be necessary to allow for the merge. Post merge you'll still have: all your clothes, OP equipment, ducats, gold, dead bees, branches, food wastes, etc.
    The 2nd point I see more complications as someone would not be able to use all their accounts on a merged server, but there may be problems if they are denied moving all assets to 1 account. And other things to worry about.
    There's also the question on how will there be accountability on the transfer of accounts for those with multiple on which ones are qualified for merge and which ones are not, and if someone will be compensated if theirs is not qualified.
    Because again, the process can be manipulated by outside sinister threats and activities.

According to Nexon's Terms of Service updated earlier this year, you are allowed to have multiple accounts. The only restrictions are on how often/quickly you make them: one per day and five per month (thirty days). This implies that you can make, on average, sixty accounts per year and Nexon won't bat an eye, as long as you remain within the allowed schedule of creating them. There may be a misunderstanding here though, a server merge is not an account merge. Post server merge all your accounts would remain separate accounts. There is nothing in the process of merging the server databases that require that you merge accounts as well and nothing that can be hacked.

There will be no problem there as you say. There would be no reason to wipe a characters inventory or banks of items and gold. It would not be necessary to allow for the merge. Post merge you'll still have: all your clothes, OP equipment, ducats, gold, dead bees, branches, food wastes, etc.

According to Nexon's Terms of Service updated earlier this year, you are allowed to have multiple accounts. The only restrictions are on how often/quickly you make them: one per day and five per month (thirty days). This implies that you can make, on average, sixty accounts per year and Nexon won't bat an eye, as long as you remain within the allowed schedule of creating them. There may be a misunderstanding here though, a server merge is not an account merge. Post server merge all your accounts would remain separate accounts. There is nothing in the process of merging the server databases that require that you merge accounts as well and nothing that can be hacked.

But if people request for an account merger along with the server merge, how would/should that go about?
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited October 11, 2018

But if people request for an account merger along with the server merge, how would/should that go about?

These are separated issues and would have to be handled separately. In fact, if you think about it, an account merge does not even require a server merge to happen! Whereas a server merge is strictly a technical problem an account merge is not. Since it involves virtual property, the legal team would have to be involved and the easiest answer for them to give is "Don't do it."
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Eh, can't we just euthanize Tarlach and migrate them over to one of our other servers?

I mean. They're the only ones suffering. I see no point in letting OTHER servers join the suffering, when we can mitigate the loss.
    KensamaofmariBronzebreak
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited October 11, 2018
    Obviously, you've never witnessed Nexon at their "finest" /sarcmark. The issue with names comes when people on different servers have the same username, and one is forced to change theirs. Or, in the likely event people are asked to enter a new name during the merge (so that no name conflicts happen when finally merging the servers).

As the database is set up today, you are technically correct. So to make a server merge they first will need to add a field to the character record in order to be able able to distinguish between Buttmunch55 of Tarlach and Buttmunch55 of Alexina. So they will add that field and that will solve the problem. After the merge, if you want to send a note to Buttmunch55, a context menu would pop up and ask if you mean Buttmunch55 from Tarlach or Buttmunch55 from Alexina; easy peasy.

That is, of course, assuming they would do that, which they probably wouldn't.
    TNinja wrote: »
    Eh, can't we just euthanize Tarlach and migrate them over to one of our other servers?

I mean. They're the only ones suffering. I see no point in letting OTHER servers join the suffering, when we can mitigate the loss.
    Tarlach is fine, actually. I'd advise you not to talk about things you know little to nothing about. Keeps you from looking stupid.
    kapapa
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Obviously, you've never witnessed Nexon at their "finest" /sarcmark. The issue with names comes when people on different servers have the same username, and one is forced to change theirs. Or, in the likely event people are asked to enter a new name during the merge (so that no name conflicts happen when finally merging the servers).

As the database is set up today, you are technically correct. So to make a server merge they first will need to add a field to the character record in order to be able able to distinguish between Buttmunch55 of Tarlach and Buttmunch55 of Alexina. So they will add that field and that will solve the problem. After the merge, if you want to send a note to Buttmunch55, a context menu would pop up and ask if you mean Buttmunch55 from Tarlach or Buttmunch55 from Alexina; easy peasy.

That is, of course, assuming they would do that, which they probably wouldn't.
    TNinja wrote: »

Tarlach is fine, actually. I'd advise you not to talk about things you know little to nothing about. Keeps you from looking stupid.

Hey, HE said it was dying, not me. I took him as the representative, since he was so adamant about it being dead.
    Who is HE?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Who is HE?

Good question! Since this is a merged thread, the choices are:
    1) Anngiekinz: a solid "HE" name,
    2) Janghala: who never actually said in their post that they are a Tarlachian,
    3) God: under grammar rules He, with a capital letter is reserved for God.
    4) HE: a member of the "They" family. That's the same family in sentences like, "They say that . . ."
    Kensamaofmari
  • RoyaltyRoyalty
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,500
    Who is HE?

4) HE: a member of the "They" family. That's the same family in sentences like, "They say that . . ."

Or could be related to HE-man
    Kensamaofmari
    Royalty wrote: »
    Who is HE?

Or could be related to HE-man

You called?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgkxey1zMUsS48fiZcST6I1qI92PxMYqwdj8MjORNIo69SJ7pd
  • HelsaHelsa
    I just got another idea on how to handle the server merge and preserve names, and it's way easier. Rather than adding a field to each character record that indicates what server they were on, instead use the field already there that indicates the server they are on right now. For the server merge then they would first write protect the field to preserve the old server name (my guess is that it is already write protected). Second, they would modify the code running on the log-in server, that would ordinarily read this field to know what server to shunt the user session to, to not bother to read the field and just automatically send the session to the single server anyway; easier peasier.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    I just want to change my name..... More people would just be a bonus.
  • ChriseusChriseus
    Mabinogi Rep: 505
    Most folks that started in 2008, have been asking for a server merge since 2011, when the player decline started because of all the hackers and crashes. Considering how long it took Devcat to implement flight zones in the G1-G3 towns which was about 8 years, it would take them even longer to do something as big and complicated like a server merge. The game may be sad and pitiful for the players in the first 3 servers, but as long as the ones that play in Alexina continue playing, I don't think they will take down the game, like they recently did with Hyper Universe or sell it off to another publisher Combat Arms styled. It has made me lose all hope for Nexon however because I could forgive all of the lag, I could also forgive all of the glitches and random stuff that have been in their games, but when they don't even believe in their products like they did for Hyper Universe which I was a founder of and it didn't even last a year, then why should WE the players believe in them? It also doesn't help that I play in Ruairi and I have given up on the thought, that I would one day be able to enjoy the game again, since my server is pretty much a ghost town and as time passes by it keeps becoming worse. For those of you that can still enjoy the game in its current state I can only say Kudos, but for people like me that need to socialize but are unable to then Mabinogi is as good as dead. And since that was the last Nexon game that I played then I can only say farewell everyone as I am quitting from playing anything Nexon related.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited November 6, 2018

What comes to mind when I see server merge threads. =D
  • ConnConn
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,360
    Even alexina isn't as densely populated as before. Not only the name, the game economy may experience perhaps a tiny bit of ripples but with the AH, searching for the average price of an item wasn't as difficult as before.
    Maybe putting up a test server like the one they did when they added channels 6 & 7 would be nice to do before going in full power