Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Questions for Fellow Guild Leaders/Members

AtaraxizAtaraxiz
Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
edited November 26, 2018 in General Chat
Its been awhile since I've posted so if this is in the wrong area please feel free to move it!

I have a few questions for my fellow leaders/members out there. Over the coarse of the last year for my guild, it seems we've come across a few things that can be improved. There are many ways to run a guild, and so, I'd like to see what everyone else thinks. My guild has been quite the success, but as a perfectionist, I'm always looking for ways to improve it. I know some of these things just come down to how I want to "run things", however, that answer is just simply not good enough.

Questions:
1. Do you run your guild based off of your original intentions or do you evolve as you move forward?
2. How often do you ask the opinions of your members?
3. Do you strive to please everyone or just the majority?
4. How do you keep your guild active? Is it natural or based off of your events, promises, and runs?
5. Do you only strive to better members or do you play casually? (Levels, ranking skills, etc.)
6. How do you handle complaints or criticism? Do you ignore what you do not agree with or do you handle it a certain way?
7. How do you target active players who participate often?
8. What matters most in your guild? (Being social, having fun, being active, etc.)

All answers and criticisms are welcome! All I ask is that you make sure your answers are constructive and not rude! I'm sure there are other guild leaders out there who find there are things that they also struggle with as well. If you have suggestions for new questions, feel free to put them in the comments and they'll be added to this list!
  1. Are you in a guild?35 votes
    1. Yes.
       31% (11 votes)
    2. No.
       17% (6 votes)
    3. I'm a Leader.
       31% (11 votes)
    4. I'm an Officer.
       11% (4 votes)
    5. I'm some other important role.
       9% (3 votes)

Comments

• SgiathachSgiathach
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,095
    1. Do you run your guild based off of your original intentions or do you evolve as you move forward?
    Still off Original Intentions to make a group of none pet spamming idiots that can enjoy the game together
    All the time and open to any input they have
    Everyone
    4. How do you keep your guild active? Is it natural or based off of your events, promises, and runs?
    Working together and helping each other
    5. Do you only strive to better members or do you play casually? (Levels, ranking skills, etc.)
    some of us spend most our time helping out lower level guild members
    6. How do you handle complaints or criticism? Do you ignore what you do not agree with or do you handle it a certain way?
    Just take it and if it is true then work on it if not then just ignore it
    let people join if they want to and understand the rules otherwise no point bugging people to join or target them
    AtaraxizJayy124
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Sgiathach wrote: »
    Still off Original Intentions to make a group of none pet spamming idiots that can enjoy the game together
    All the time and open to any input they have
    Everyone
    Working together and helping each other
    some of us spend most our time helping out lower level guild members
    Just take it and if it is true then work on it if not then just ignore it
    let people join if they want to and understand the rules otherwise no point bugging people to join or target them

Thank you so much for your feedback!
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited November 27, 2018
    1. I am the officer of Sparta, and I can say I have known these guys for several years now. We're a small family guild at this point. There's only like maybe 7-8 of us online at a time on good days. Lives and situations change so we do evolve as we go. I tend to counsel a lot I will tell you that. =P

2. We're pretty close, there may be some communication problems at times. But that's family.

3. I think we try our best to come to compromises and understandings. Like if someone wants to run this and someone else wants to run something else at the same time - we will try to rally up members and get several activities done so everyone is happy.

4. There are a total of 5 core active players, when we are logged in we get the runs going. Be it the avalon raids, girg, elite dailies, ext. We're always doing something everyday. But then we have our lull periods where we just want to be logged in and chill. Playing mafia is something we really enjoy after a glorious day.

5. Oh we're always trying to improve our stats and skills. That's like 90% of Sparta's drive. XD

6. Uhhhh, we really don't get complaints from our members honestly. We are always communicating and striving. C:<

7. We recruit cautiously, we only want players who would be loyal and will stick with us for a long time. We encourage that by assisting new and returnee players. Getting them caught up, educating, basically answering any questions they might have about the game. Sometimes through that we get an occasional new member who wants to be part of the guild.

We never ask anyone to be part of Sparta, they have to ask us if they feel they are worthy.
    Then they go through agoge. C:<

Honestly though, it's my opinion that there is no such thing as a perfect guild. If you try to regimen something like that, it can make it exhausting after a while and tedious.
    Ataraxiz
  • SolodarknessSolodarkness
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
    I am still new to being a guild leader and to show my thanks for post like these I shall be completely honest.
    Answer:I have a theme i will follow to the end of my guild.Aside from that I will change what is necessary to keep my members happy.
    Answer:As often as i can,Their input means a lot too me.I do however value the input of my more active members over my inactive ones.
    Answer: The majority.
    Answer:Coming up with new event ideas that I or other members of my guild wish to do.
    Answer:In nature I am a casual so I will not ask my members to put in as much effort as I can give,I do however help those who wish to become better
    Answer: If I can take something out of a complaint or criticism I will,If I see it as just someone lashing out due to them being unhappy I try to find the root of
    the matter and address it if the hostile party is willing to cooperate with me.
    Answer:This question feels a bit broad, I could be overthinking it. As in recruiting or my current members? I reward my active members with more of my time and possibly some items. Recruiting for me is a bit different, I do not always seek new members unless I feel like they would contribute something greatly to my guild. I wait and see if they wish to join on their own and then welcome them into our family.
    I am by no means a great guild leader and again just starting out. Hopefully my answers will contribute a little to your goals however.
    Ataraxiz
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    @Gaea @Solodarkness Thank you so much for your feedback!

I used to be online constantly and constantly trying to plan and keep things going smoothly. Eventually I stressed myself so much that just logging into Mabi was stressful and I had to stop playing for awhile. With a guild that is over 100 members, planning things and trying to maintain activity really becomes a hassle. :/
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited November 26, 2018
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    @Gaea @Solodarkness Thank you so much for your feedback!

I used to be online constantly and constantly trying to plan and keep things going smoothly. Eventually I stressed myself so much that just logging into Mabi was stressful and I had to stop playing for awhile. With a guild that is over 100 members, planning things and trying to maintain activity really becomes a hassle. :/

Yeah don't stress yourself about it. It kills the game. It's a good idea to keep things casual but at the same time try to be active. I think for my members it's good that we at least login everyday (or almost everyday) If we feel like running stuff we will. Sometimes we just chill and that's ok.

-pat pat-

I also believe the bigger the guild the deader the guild.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Gaea wrote: »
    Yeah don't stress yourself about it. It kills the game. It's a good idea to keep things casual but at the same time try to be active. I think for my members it's good that we at least login everyday (or almost everyday) If we feel like running stuff we will. Sometimes we just chill and that's ok.

-pat pat-

Our guild actually had 40+ people online in-game on weekends and even hosted small events during banquet together. There were times 95% of banquet was just our guild alone. I think a big issue now is that some people lurk and never try to participate? Like, its okay to be shy but at the same time I think its necessary to try to be social at the very least? As long as there is effort being put out there, I see no problems with being in our guild - however, some people don't even do that. :/
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited November 26, 2018
    -As someone who has had/led guilds in multiple games, evolving as you move forward is best, IMO.

-Never did and it was a mistake in other games.
    -I don't know if you mean strive to please everyone/majority in guild, or every type of player in the game or just majority type players of the game.

-From past experience, concern over activity of the guild just ruins the game. Don't worry about what others are doing and just play, be helpful, and be open-minded to the lives of your members. It's a game, there's literally zero need to control your members, all it does is push them away and add un-needed stress to your life.

-Play casually. Work on your character and just be open to doing runs to help others out or if someone is just bored. Don't force yourself or others to do anything; play the game and enjoy it.

-There shouldn't be any complains or criticism. If there is, someone's taking the game way to seriously and should probably move on to another guild that does the same.

-We don't target anyone. We've never had anyone we didn't already know apply to the guild and don't intend on begging for it but if they apply, I really don't care if they want to join, just don't expect structure. I think it's easy enough to play the game with others whether or not you're in a guild. Guilds that are competitive just fuel drama; especially on such a low population game.

8. What matters most in your guild? (Being social, having fun, being active, etc.)
    -A cool name. ;)

-My two cents, if it's even worth that: All in all, I just think people need to play the game to have fun and reach personal goals. Yes, play with others, make friends, feel like family, but don't force rules upon others. We already have enough strict schedules, policies, laws, and such on a day-to-day basis, enjoy the little things and take a break and breather from structure and just have FUN!

tl;dr : Life's too short and structured to worry about/control what others are doing in a game.
    ChelJayy124Shadowami
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited November 27, 2018

-pat pat-

Our guild actually had 40+ people online in-game on weekends and even hosted small events during banquet together. There were times 95% of banquet was just our guild alone. I think a big issue now is that some people lurk and never try to participate? Like, its okay to be shy but at the same time I think its necessary to try to be social at the very least? As long as there is effort being put out there, I see no problems with being in our guild - however, some people don't even do that. :/

As you know as much as you recruit, you will have your active core players who are online frequently. No matter how much you recruit, there is only your core players or members of your guild who will always be there. The bigger your guild gets the more you will lose touch. You can't possibly give 250 (or 40) members your devout attention without someone feeling left out who will eventually leave because 75% of your guild are solonogis on their own schedule.

These guardian guild members are leechers. They are only there for the perks, i.e the potential No Where to Run elite baltane passes to help get them to level 200 before the next rebirth.

This system blows. They either need to make all towns available to gaurdianship or make those passes drop more frequently. Because in the end and with our busy life styles to survive, that's what it boils down to. There is no true kinsmanship with this system in place.
    Ataraxiz
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    @Gaea

I totally see where you're coming from. We only participate in wars for fun because some of our members are strategists and like to see what works. We haven't participated in a long time, that being said, I believe there has only been 2 guilds that's ever had guardianship on Mari. Due to the population and amount of people who are not interested in guilds for some reason or another, there is no competition to even out the odds.

On another note, my guild is more social than those that have a focus on end-game content. My dreams for it were only to have fun and make memories. Casual if you will. While we do have strong members. those members are happy just helping the others where they can - they're not interested in "being the best".

@Jazmyn Thank you for your response! I understand your perspective and will try to implement some of your ideals!

Jazmyn
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited November 30, 2018
    You need to first ask yourself why you are making the guild. There are many different reasons to do so. I would caveat, there's something you have to look out for if you have "big plans" though. The first time I lead a guild I was a caretaker leader. A caretaker lead is one that takes the role because the person who formed the guild could no longer continue their Premium/VIP. I was officer so we swapped roles. One big problem you'll have with running a guild is that most people join guilds to get something from it and few people are willing to give something to it. In the end to sustain it, it will fall upon you and maybe a few dedicated folks to always be giving, and then baring all ungrateful complaints if members of the common membership say that their expectations haven't been met. You will burn out and people will leave.

Later, I made my own guild when Nexon started offering half price premium. I made it for one reason and one reason only, so I could access my alt's homesteads. For me anything after that is gravy. After my previous experience the focus of my own guild was to have no expectations. In my case there are no big plans and ambitions. Instead, it's based on the following idea:

Don't expect anything from us and we won't expect anything from you; deal?

Now this means that my guild is, let's call it quiet. So, we don't do guild battles or raids or really anything, but we all expected nothing from the start and we like it that way. Granted this is a highly atypical basis for a guild, and does not appeal to the vast majority of people. But for me and my guildies, it works for us. When I meet guildless folks in the game who are looking for a guild and they ask me about mine, I generally discourage them from joining it as most folks are looking for active guilds. If that is the case, I know someone who heads a very active guild here on Alexina and I recommend theirs instead; I've sent a lot of pledges their way. Occasionally though some say of mine, "that's what I'm looking for." So once they understand to have no expectations then they're in.
    Ataraxiz
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    @Helsa

Thank you so much for your reply!

I like the idea of not having expectations - its a good way to set things on a lower standard than the more popular guilds. Since my guild is quite large, our new focus is to bring everyone together with events planned by our members and to simply enjoy our time. As time has passed we've come to terms with people who think we're too much or too little - as much as I wish it were different we just weren't the right fit. When I say my guild is "active", I don't necessarily mean by population. Population comes when enough people are satisfied with what we're doing. Our "activeness" was really just a form of saying "Our people get on and we do things, we're not a dead guild. People still care."

I think soon we will discuss our new goals and decide what changes need to be made to pursue them. Who knows, maybe we'll set even lower expectations this time.

All and all, I still have some uncertainties but I believe my answers will be provided in time in some way, shape, or form. I appreciate any and all responses, as they help me come just a little closer to a conclusion.
  • RaykaRayka
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575

-pat pat-

i'm sorry i'm just that kind of person that despite being in a guild just doesnt put effort to participate to guild events, mostly i guess as a old player i burned out from to be active on mabi but prefer playing it casual and doing things on whim when i get the feel/motivation to do it, ofc i still help out others on guild if i have time and don't take too serious, in past i took consideration to join your Guild but give up because from looking your Forum Post on Guild Recruiting made me feel like a very Restrict (bound to rules) at same time Forceful? i mean it give a sensation that members must be active and participate to the guild so loners aren't accepted vibe

and Gaea is right the big the guild the harder to manage it, so which in consequence it turn dead,for this reason i joined a small guild with few online members
    Ataraxiz
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    edited December 13, 2018
    Rayka wrote: »
    ...in past i took consideration to join your Guild but give up because from looking your Forum Post on Guild Recruiting made me feel like a very Restrict (bound to rules) at same time Forceful? i mean it give a sensation that members must be active and participate to the guild so loners aren't accepted vibe...

@Rayka Thank you for your response!

I wish you would have messaged me so I could explain a little better in more of a conversational tone :D. Electrolytes is not at all strict or forceful. The reason we have rules and regulations in place is so that members understand that our guild does not allow people to potentially harm others experiences in the game/guild. In my time on Mabinogi I've come across many issues with players who have provoked and hurt other people. Yes, it is a game, but some people are sensitive and would rather stay away from those kinds of people. Games should be fun and if you share a close space with those kinds of people it can ruin your experience. I have been in guilds where that sort of attitude is allowed and found that it harms the game-play of others quite frequently. Therefore, I created a set of rules I thought would turn away people with negative intentions. A safe haven, in other words.

As for participation, ask any of my members, we do not enforce participation. You are allowed to pick and choose what you partake in. All we ask is that you let us know if you decide to take a break or if you are unable to get online for some reason. Anyone who is removed for being inactive for a long while is left with a note that they are allowed to rejoin when they return if they so choose!

I'm glad you found a guild for you and I will take your perspective into consideration in the future!
  • RaykaRayka
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    edited December 14, 2018
    ...in past i took consideration to join your Guild but give up because from looking your Forum Post on Guild Recruiting made me feel like a very Restrict (bound to rules) at same time Forceful? i mean it give a sensation that members must be active and participate to the guild so loners aren't accepted vibe...

@Rayka Thank you for your response!

I wish you would have messaged me so I could explain a little better in more of a conversational tone :D. Electrolytes is not at all strict or forceful. The reason we have rules and regulations in place is so that members understand that our guild does not allow people to potentially harm others experiences in the game/guild. In my time on Mabinogi I've come across many issues with players who have provoked and hurt other people. Yes, it is a game, but some people are sensitive and would rather stay away from those kinds of people. Games should be fun and if you share a close space with those kinds of people it can ruin your experience. I have been in guilds where that sort of attitude is allowed and found that it harms the game-play of others quite frequently. Therefore, I created a set of rules I thought would turn away people with negative intentions. A safe haven, in other words.

As for participation, ask any of my members, we do not enforce participation. You are allowed to pick and choose what you partake in. All we ask is that you let us know if you decide to take a break or if you are unable to get online for some reason. Anyone who is removed for being inactive for a long while is left with a note that they are allowed to rejoin when they return if they so choose!

I'm glad you found a guild for you and I will take your perspective into consideration in the future!
    i see, guess i was kinda rush on my side to make decision without asking first, and yeah i hate drama left my First guild(lasted 3 years) on mabi because of it, people that pretend to know everythings about other and trash talking, kinda terrible experience , despite played other mmo games mabinogi was my only game that lasted for 7+ years and thanks to that i experienced for first time Guild Drama x| , i guess that event was one of reason why i build up a privacy wall in a online game
    Ataraxiz
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    i see, guess i was kinda rush on my side to make decision without asking first, and yeah i hate drama left my First guild(lasted 3 years) on mabi because of it, people that pretend to know everythings about other and trash talking, kinda terrible experience , despite played other mmo games mabinogi was my only game that lasted for 7+ years and thanks to that i experienced for first time Guild Drama x| , i guess that event was one of reason why i build up a privacy wall in a online game

Hey, that's okay! It happens! I completely understand why my post would come off like that, though. I have this habit of speaking more formally when it comes to my guild and sometimes to others it comes off in a certain way. Maybe I'll take this as a suggestion to edit my post :D