Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dead Bees: A Plunge into Mabinogi's black market.

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
in General Chat
We've all seen the dead bees in the Auction House. The first time we had a chuckle and figured it was just someone with a sense of humor. But weeks later, they're still there. Okay, we get the joke already. Well, maybe it isn't a joke, maybe Dead Bee's are being used as checks. Check fee = 5%, AH fee = 5%. You see all those annoying bots in Dunby Square selling gold for, what is it now?, $9.58 or whatever. Maybe the dead bee are how a buyer gets their gold. Or maybe Dead Bee's are how folks transfer huge amounts of money between accounts. Hmmmm?
Kaaros

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Dead bee laundering.
    LaticijaTwelie
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Selling dead bees for 50mil a piece...What? Can't I rake on the profits? The bit bois seem to be doing it. > 3>
    Kaaros
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
    You make it sound like this is some kind of giant, illegal use of the feature or something...

Not saying it isn't used for such purposes, but I would assume that in most cases, someone buying an item worth 200m would rather not spend the time making checks (That's 40 checks in this particular example. x.x) when there's a method that is way more convenient for both the buyer and the seller.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    You make it sound like this is some kind of giant, illegal use of the feature or something...

Not saying it isn't used for such purposes, but I would assume that in most cases, someone buying an item worth 200m would rather not spend the time making checks (That's 40 checks in this particular example. x.x) when there's a method that is way more convenient for both the buyer and the seller.

A friend proposed to use Infernal Blade Fragments, a stack of 100 carries 10m in a 1x1 space and since it carries the NPC value, this means someone can transform them directly into gold if they sell it to NPCs.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited December 5, 2018
    Unlikely:

1. A lot of the dead bees are up for 100m, or sometimes even a billion. The limit to the amount of money you can bank is determined by how many non-pet player characters you have. It is extremely, excessively inefficient to meet the requirements to bank all that gold. Each extra character slot (with a miniscule number of exceptions) costs real money, and each character is worth 20m in space IIRC. Bot characters used for illegal purposes are usually throw-away on throw-away accounts, and usually only transfer a couple mil at a time before they're caught and banned. A bot transferring money would not be able to hold, send, or accept a hundred million gold at once.

2. The "dead bees as currency" thing is a very old mabi meme. There's also the old gag of mailing or giving dead bees to a new-ish player and the complete randomness of the action makes them think someone is trying to hack them in more paranoid times.

3. If Korea is any indicator they're starting to put failsafes in Mabi to monitor suspicious transactions, such as an account being looted and all items being sold excessively fast, or excessive amounts of money being transferred for an item that isn't worth the gold. So if anybody actually buys one of these 20m dead bees, it probably alerts a GM. (It's worth noting that we get the same client version as Korea, we just don't have all the content implemented until it is ready, which has resulted in glitches in the past.)

4. The biggest issue is this: Auction house is completely anonymous. There's no way of telling how to buy the "right" dead bee, unless the price itself is some kind of code, and you know most people putting dead bees up for crazy prices are doing it for the lulz. There's only one dead bee that's put up for a unique number on Alexina, and that's well over the 20m per character limit.

The issue with mabi's bots stateside isn't stolen gold or items, but stolen (skimmed) credit card numbers being used to buy NX, which are then used to sell reforges or other items more cheaply than they are worth. The bot characters are made quickly and thrown away as they are quickly banned. They don't exist long enough to be making or transferring 20m. That is why they placed the total level limit on reforges.

It's also worth noting that the new server rules in Korea can punish PLAYERS for buying items that are suspected to be stolen or involved in money laundering. So all those cheap belvast reforges of old that people would shamelessly buy because "nobody really knew"? (And let's be honest, we ALL knew something was stinky when it persisted as long as it did.) If Korea's rules come here, you could end up banned or have certain activities limited for buying them.
    starkiller1286
  • FullBucketPimpDaddyFullBucketPimpDaddy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    I've been saying this for years. I don't bank them in my pet's inventory for no reason.

Dead bees are best currency.
    pawcalypse
  • JophielJophiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Policroma wrote: »
    2. The "dead bees as currency" thing is a very old mabi meme. There's also the old gag of mailing or giving dead bees to a new-ish player and the complete randomness of the action makes them think someone is trying to hack them in more paranoid times.

This actually started to troll one player specifically. Not sure why it blew up to the point people still use it today.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Jophiel wrote: »

This actually started to troll one player specifically. Not sure why it blew up to the point people still use it today.

For the wapoz.
  • JophielJophiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    TheNyanCat wrote: »

For the wapoz.

Not gonna lie, I'm amazed to see anyone I recognize.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited December 5, 2018

Probably because it still works, as stupid as that may sound.
    I've been saying this for years. I don't bank them in my pet's inventory for no reason.

Let's have some screenshots. I wanna see your stash.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    You know they can use any item for this purpose.
    pawcalypse
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

Murder the bees and use their bodies... for science!
  • noobodyzxznoobodyzxz
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,990
    Helsa wrote: »
    We've all seen the dead bees in the Auction House. The first time we had a chuckle and figured it was just someone with a sense of humor. But weeks later, they're still there. Okay, we get the joke already. Well, maybe it isn't a joke, maybe Dead Bee's are being used as checks. Check fee = 5%, AH fee = 5%. You see all those annoying bots in Dunby Square selling gold for, what is it now?, $9.58 or whatever. Maybe the dead bee are how a buyer gets their gold. Or maybe Dead Bee's are how folks transfer huge amounts of money between accounts. Hmmmm?

since auction house sellers are anonymous
    has anyone tried selling same item sold for same price
    and try to time it same to the time left of the item
    u suspect to be used for under the counter or secret gold transactions
    and see if u could fish out millions from it
    not that ive tried it yet (not that i plan to do so but nobody dislikes the idea i might)
    i dont think im the only one who have thought of that idea right? but seriously im not that evil (maybe)
    im only mentioning this since people agree to using in game items
    that is obtainable by mostly everyone and not notice this particular flaw

if u still plan to transfer gold and use items as currency in auction house
    i suggest u use food that u have to prepare urself and can be used as ingredient
    since ive seen some items in "ingredients" tab to have its creators name in the item description
    I think any craftable item that would have the creators name would probably work
    (i dont really approve of bogus gold transfers, im simply providing this as an alternative)

but i suggest u guys should stop doing it
    and use the transaction system that the game already has
    the devs put alot effort to it and certain limits and parameters
    are included to prevent abuse and illigal practices
    for example the taxation to gold probably exist to discourage overpricing and encourage cheaper prices
    cheaper prices have lesser tax, tax that would disapear in thin air
    even if the percentage of taxation doesnt change bigger prices means bigger amount of gold lost

if u have complaints and/or ideas about transaction system of mabinogiL
    its best that u contact GMs about it
    from what ive seen in the mabinogi campfire live stream
    the GMs and the DEVs value our opinion and ideas
    and are working hard in improving the game
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    It's a coded one-way broadcast. If you ever see NO dead bees in AH, then you know something terrible has happened.
    KensamaofmariPolicroma