Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Revamped Jobs?

RoytonRoyton
Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
edited December 11, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
Seeing as mabi gets easier and easier every passing update, with rewards and massive exp at every turn,
one thing that seems to have been left in the past are Jobs given by NPCs.

255exp?
1 slice of meat?
550 gold?
Only Endelyon a viable Job because of HW?

Jobs were much more useful back in the older days. How about a rebalance of rewards to fit the current age?
On top of that, I always wondered why the time restrictions. Why not instead add an overwork/overtime system?

I thought of 2 ways this can work:
Gather 100% more needed mats/make 2 or 3 delivery's instead of 1 will grant additional rewards.
Or, complete your Job earlier than usual and you can apply for 1 more Job for the day at the same NPC.
  1. Revamp Jobs, tune it to the current faster style of today's Mabinogi?13 votes
    1. Yes
       92% (12 votes)
    2. No
       8% (1 vote)

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    They pay us NPC cost of living wages for part time jobs.
    But we Milletians have made our economy hyperinflation driven, naturally NPCs dont have the economic burden Milletians have created.

On the other hand, I think it's been a long time since those part time job payments have been adjusted.
  • RoytonRoyton
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    edited December 11, 2018
    Hahaha I never thought about it like that.
    I suppose most NPCs live simple lives, while we're out here hunting the biggest dragons and stealing their loot.
    Milletians are worried about taking down demon kings and queens,
    but old Glenis just wants you to deliver a chunk of meat to Manus.

Still, I'd like to see some change with it. HW is nice from church jobs, but that's about it.
    Why not instead of a slice of meat, a dish that gives a really good buff but expires in a few in game days?
    Or do a job for Edern, and maybe he'll reward you with 1 free repair.

I'm exploding with ideas now haha, but I think you get the gist of it.
    KensamaofmariWolfsinger
    Royton wrote: »
    Hahaha I never thought about it like that.
    I suppose most NPCs live simple lives, while we're out here hunting the biggest dragons and stealing their loot.
    Milletians are worried about taking down demon kings and queens,
    but old Glenis just wants you to deliver a chunk of meat to Manus.

Still, I'd like to see some change with it. HW is nice from church jobs, but that's about it.
    Why not instead of a slice of meat, a dish that gives a really good buff but expires in a few in game days?
    Or do a job for Edern, and maybe he'll reward you with 1 free repair.

I'm exploding with ideas now haha, but I think you get the gist of it.

Or just give us higher difficulty jobs with better rewards.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited December 18, 2018
    Here's a list of potential PTJs. The goal is to make them useful, believable, and fun. Images are just visual aids, not an exhaustive list.

Grocery Store
    128px-Glenis.png97px-Caitin.png

Tasks

• Deliver random cooked dishes to random NPCs in that area. Hidden benefit is ability to eat the food to advance the cooking journal or cooking skill reqs. The highest dish type you can get is stir-fry.
    • Make food, using timed or ptj-only ingredients.
    • Collect and deliver potatoes/wheat/eggs/milk/etc.

Rewards

• Homestead seeds
    • Ingredient hunting items
    • 1 cooked dish
    • Cooking/collecting tools with 1 extra dura

General Store
    141px-Walter.png112px-Malcolm.png104px-Galvin.png163px-Pierrick.png

Tasks

• Use reforge kits (ptj-only) on random set of 5 items (ptj-only) of same type. Example, "Please reforge these 5 flutes." Indirectly useful by letting you see possible reforges on that item.
    • Deliver some Spider Traps. Useful for handicraft and to raise awareness of Spider Shot skill. A medium/advanced ptj. Requires that all NPC stores stop selling Spider Traps.
    • Make and deliver 1 Rolling Pin and 1 Ladle. Useful for handicraft.
    • Deliver 40 paper cranes. Useful for handicraft and offers another use for paper cranes made from renown training.
    • Deliver Restoration Altar to Dungeon Stone miners (Walter ptj only). Just a fetch quest to add believable flavor to game world.
    • Deliver 1 Bait Tin stack (only given by general store NPCs that don't stock them). After completion, that same Bait amount will be available to buy from store by anyone. Indirectly useful because it keeps Bait Tins in stock if enough people do this ptj regularly.
    • Investigate Stewart (Walter ptj only).
    • For Pierrick, something clown related... What could it be?

Rewards

• Life Skills tools with 1 extra dura, especially tailor kit, handicraft kit, or fishing pole
    • Score Scrolls with 150 plays (advanced ptj gives 200 version)
    • Cheap instrument, like Whistle or Lute
    • Bottle of water. "You must be thirsty after such hard work."

Tailor
    135px-Simon.png103px-Ailionoa.png164px-Eluned.png

Tasks

• Make stuff with tailoring skill. This already exists and is mostly useful.
    • Put on a piece of clothing given by ptj NPC and model for them. Requires you to follow NPCs verbal instructions: "Walk past me in a straight line." "Strike a pose!" "Pretend you're in a fight for your life!" "Run towards me!" ...not terribly useful, but amusing.
    • Decrease the durability of a piece of gear given by ptj NPC. Gear will be chosen randomly from tailored item list and will have 1/1 durability and will disappear on a timer. "Help me test the stitching on this!" Useful if the NPC happens to give you armor or silk-weaving gloves.
    • Find and sketch a random player in the area. "Everyone in town is talking about PLAYERNAME and their wild fashion sense. I must see it for myself!" If no sketch target is found nearby, someone from Dunbarton is chosen.

Rewards

• Hairband, Sandals, or Bracelet with 1 extra dura. (Hopefully race restrictions on these gets removed)
    • 2 holy water
    • 2 thin threads or 2 thick threads
    • A tailor pattern only obtainable through this ptj. Each NPC gives a different pattern. "This is something I designed myself. Please tell me what you think!" Advanced ptj only, each ptj NPC will give different patterns.

Blacksmith
    143px-Ferghus.png147px-Edern.png133px-Elen.png

Tasks

• Make stuff with blacksmith skill, possibly of a specific color (copper, silver, gold). Already exists and is useful.
    • Receive a random blacksmithed item, improve it as much as possible within the time limit, and return it. Reward scales based on improvements (proficiency, upgrades, erg, reforge, enchant, durability, blessed/holy, poisoned, dyed).
    • Decrease the durability of an item given by the NPC.
    • Take Elen out on a date (Edern ptj only). Date locations are Bangor Tavern (lively party), Port Ceann (secluded stroll), or Dragon Ruins (sad backstory). Raises intimacy of Edern and Elen. Raises renown for Edern. Also for lore and for fun.

Rewards

• Blacksmith hammer with 1 extra dura or special color.
    • Spiked Cap with 1 extra dura.
    • Wood Plate Cannon. (item changed to 2x1 size, 6 max dura, ~5000g, no race restriction)
    • Iron Ore Fragments. Edern already rewards these.

Stope Part-time Job
    109px-Sion.png

Tasks

• Mine ore.
    • Refine ore.
    • Deliver firewood to Sion.
    • Deliver handwritten notes back and forth between Sion to Ibbie. 12 separate 'note conversations' exist. Keep doing this ptj to read them all and discover the dramatic love triangle between Ibbie, Sion, and Riocard!

Rewards

• Pickaxe with 1 extra dura or with special color.
    • 1 Spirit Fossil. Advanced ptj from Sion.

I'll keep adding to this post.
    KensamaofmariYangKoete
    I agree. Is it too imbalanced to ask that the PTJ counter never go down over time? Anyway, here's some possible PTJs that make you do something productive instead of mostly fetch quests and busywork. If it has to be a fetch quest, then I tried to make it believable.

Grocery Store PTJs
    Tasks: Deliver random cooked dishes to random NPCs on the map, make food, collect potatoes/wheat/eggs/milk/etc.
    Rewards: Homestead seeds, ingredient hunting items, 1 cooked dish, and cooking/collecting tools with 1 or 2 extra dura.

General Store PTJs
    Tasks: Use reforge kits (ptj-only) on random set of 5 items (ptj-only) of same type, Deliver some Spider Traps (advanced ptj, requires general stores to stop selling Spider Traps), Make and deliver 1 Rolling Pin and 1 Ladle, Deliver 40 paper cranes, Deliver Restoration Altar to Dungeon Stone miners (Walter only), Deliver 1 Bait Tin stack (Only to general stores that don't stock them. After completion, that same Bait amount will be available to buy from store. Keep Bait Tins in stock by continually doing this ptj)
    Rewards: Life Skills tools with 1 or 2 extra dura, Score Scrolls with 150 plays (advanced ptj gives 200 version), Whistle, Lute, hairband/ sandals/bracelet with 1 extra dura.

I'll keep adding to this post.

Doesn't Tir already have catch Brifne Carp and make Wheat Flour as Grocery Story PTJ?
    But we could have improvement of the amount of work to do and the rewards.

Like the inn still to this day has only collect firewood. I think cooking for the inn should be a viable ptj.

Also, PTJs should give us hunting quests.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited December 18, 2018
    I added some more ptj examples to my post above.

Is it too imbalanced to ask that the PTJ counter never go down over time? PTJ and daily quest completion should have a far greater effect on NPC's intimacy. I think it's possible to incorporate the daily quests into the part-time job system somehow, but I can't think of a neat way to do it.
    Kensamaofmari
    Also, how about having an apprenticeship system where players have PTJs for the certain life skill NPCs assisting to help make/deliver certain products/items for other NPC customers?
    Add jobs not subject to expire within the same day. Such as hunting quests or subjugation quests that allows players to fight local enemies and participate in local dungeons and gather mats. Better interaction with the community.