Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi 2, the game that was almost liked.

RoytonRoyton
Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
in Story Discussion

It's been around 6 years since it was teased, and later eventually canceled for it's disliked gameplay style.
But I sometimes wonder, what if they did it right? Making it the follow-up story, open world everyone was hoping for?
How would Errin be after saving it from it's threats, bringing peace between the gods disputes, and what would the new threats be?

I'm honestly glad they canceled it, Mabinogi has grown it's story a lot more since 2012.
Now or the near future is a much better time to plan a Mabinogi 2 while Mabinogi is possibly nearing an end point.
I've caught up with the lore since I came back a couple weeks ago, and Mabinogi seems to have had several "endings".
I mean Mabinogi even has the suffix "Finale" right now haha.

Thoughts? Should Mabinogi 2 get a second chance? Mabinogi 1 forever? What would Errin be like in the far future?

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    The only way we can move onto Mabi 2 is once this one is complete and everyone here gets really special incentives to start a new one.
    At this time, not feasible.

If anything, expand and grow this one. That's how it's been.
    ImaizumiBronzebreakNiought
  • LastSaturdayLastSaturday
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,215
    I was thinking that if they were going to do a Mabi 2 they could have all Millitieans sealed away
    Up the numbers for the second game and after so many Generation quests you unseal your old main character (rip alts) but without items hopefully making it scale properly into the game
    Pets transfer cards as pets are re-introduced just give the new pets some type of item justifying slightly higher price
    I was thinking that if they were going to do a Mabi 2 they could have all Millitieans sealed away
    Up the numbers for the second game and after so many Generation quests you unseal your old main character (rip alts) but without items hopefully making it scale properly into the game
    Pets transfer cards as pets are re-introduced just give the new pets some type of item justifying slightly higher price

Unseal the old you as part of the storyline?
    AmarazNiought
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875

That could actually be kind of interesting...
    Wolfsinger wrote: »

That could actually be kind of interesting...

the one who unsealed the Milletian
    AmarazNiought
    edited December 26, 2018

Yeah that's what I was thinking. So everything isn't a complete wipe and you can progressively unlock some of your old content and not just be completely over powered
    Amaraz

Yeah that's what I was thinking. So everything isn't a complete wipe and you can progressively unlock some of your old content

That would also depend on how the 2nd one is made and what features, skills, items will spill over.
    Yeah ideally the power in the second game by that point would be akin to endgame now otherwise they can restart at level 1 with Militiean only skills and make it a race of it's own. Maybe demi-god not full on divinity right away.

But yeah it's a thought in progress
  • GandorEUGandorEU
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,195
    At this point we might newer get Mabinogi 2 on PC as whole eastern market which is priority for Nexon shifted to mobile gaming if upcoming Mabinogi mobile turns out to be better cash maker (*very high chances for that) they will stick with it and shift more resources to that
    Bronzebreak
    GandorEU wrote: »
    At this point we might newer get Mabinogi 2 on PC as whole eastern market which is priority for Nexon shifted to mobile gaming if upcoming Mabinogi mobile turns out to be better cash maker (*very high chances for that) they will stick with it and shift more resources to that

I wouldn't say whole. A good public company always seeks to diversify, not throw all eggs into one basket.
  • ShijikuShijiku
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    The best way I could see them shifting Mabinogis player base to a second mabinogi is this:

Either do a ground up rehaul of mabinogi 1. The full thing. Update all textures. Essentially remake it, preferabley in a better engine. This would be the best thing for mabinogi, because

1. You would have the opportunity to remake and recode alot of infrastructure that is SEVERELY outdated, or in bad need of changes.

2. Youre keeping the current playerbase happy. (You know, the players who have thrown away 10+ years of their life to follow this game to its death.)

3. You can make the game feel fresh, and updated without having to give up whats made mabinogi great.

Alternatively, you can create a whole new game. But this will piss off long time mabi 1 players if you shut it down for a new one. So if they explored this route, theyd either have to give mabi 1 players incentives to cross over, (This could range from a huge gold head start based on account value, or my personal favorite, cross over the server databases and let mabi 2 players keep all their mabi 1 gear.) Either way, I dont think the mobile market is where nexon should be going. Thats like creating a donut shop and selling your customers custom house made mayonaise.
    Bronzebreak
  • YuoichiYuoichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    AT LAST GIVE US MOVING HAIR PLZ
    Spareohstarkiller1286
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Oh yeah, this became Vindictus eventually, no?
    TNinja wrote: »
    Oh yeah, this became Vindictus eventually, no?

Vindi was supposed to be a prequel but eventually went off into its own path.
  • aef8234aef8234
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    Honestly they shouldn't overhaul or do a sequel or whatever with mabinogi.

What they should do is a graphical overhaul of the game, move it to an engine that isn't completely bad; maybe unreal, add voice acting, and then just continue the game from there.

This game's a great a game, but it's just so outdated and riddled with pay2win things that it looks like an old gypsy fondling your pockets.

While starting from scratch graphically is hard, it's honestly the only feasible way this game can be able to rival the likes of warframe or PoE in terms of MMO acclaim and probably the only way people like me can justify paying 60 bucks for gachapon, pay2win or not.

I'd like to say WoW has acclaim, but WoW is iffy atm.
    SpareohBronzebreak
    Don't fix what ain't broken, but tinker with the broken parts and the whole thing blows up.
  • YamamochanYamamochan
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,455
    just ff14 this bih LOL
    Danievictriakororin
  • NishikiNishiki
    Mabinogi Rep: 605
    This feels like it might have been cancelled not because of lack of hype, but because it was too similar to Vindictus, another Nexon game that has gameplay exactly like this sounds like, but it's actually a PREquel to Mabinogi. Shame tho.
    SpareohKensamaofmari
  • SpareohSpareoh
    Mabinogi Rep: 780
    Maybe if not Vindictus, there's another Nexon game called Riders of Icarus that has an almost exact Mabinogi rip-off storyline and gameplay feel but the graphics are 20x better as well as the travel speeds, explore-able areas and mounted battles. It makes me feel like Nexon is shrugging off Mabinogi because they feel like it's a dying or outdated game and it absolutely breaks my heart.

I didn't even know there was supposed to be a Mabinogi 2. I bet it had great potential. Was there ever an official word that it was cancelled?
    Kensamaofmari
  • starkiller1286starkiller1286
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    Spareoh wrote: »
    Maybe if not Vindictus, there's another Nexon game called Riders of Icarus that has an almost exact Mabinogi rip-off storyline and gameplay feel but the graphics are 20x better as well as the travel speeds, explore-able areas and mounted battles. It makes me feel like Nexon is shrugging off Mabinogi because they feel like it's a dying or outdated game and it absolutely breaks my heart.

I didn't even know there was supposed to be a Mabinogi 2. I bet it had great potential. Was there ever an official word that it was cancelled?

From what I read a year or two ago the game was a much darker more linear take of Mabinogi which is why everyone hated it and it was canned. I don't think it was a prequel but a sequel I'll have to look around again to find the link.