Check out the P.E.T. Part 2 preview site: http://mabinogi.nexon.net/micro-site/pet/part2
Check out the patch notes for the July 16th update, P.E.T. Part 1: http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/23332/
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Permadeath Server

ChoCho
Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
Posts: 163
Member
edited January 14, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
It'd be cool if there was a server where if you died, you lose all your items on hand and had to start over from cumulative level 1 with all learned skills removed.

The way it would work would be:
- If you die, you go back to the Soul Stream and are forced to rebirth back to cumulative level 1 with all if your skills removed and no AP
-All items in your inventory when you die are destroyed
-You can pick a different race when you're restarting after dying
-1 Permadeath Server character per account
-You keep items and gold stored in your bank.

I want to say no pets but if there has to be pets then:
-Maximum of 3 pets on the Permadeath Server per account (This way players can have a flight mount, a land mount, and a cat or something if they want)
-Pet levels reset back to level 1 when your character dies
-Pet keeps skills acquired through pet rebirths
-Items in pets' inventory are destroyed

The danger of losing your items or your character could be exciting and I don't think there's many "unfair" deaths in Mabi so something like this could be fun. With the 1 character limit, you won't see people hoarding tons of valuable items in their alts' bank tabs. Having things like Crusader skills would be so much more valuable if you had to get it without dying at all.

Also, this doesn't devalue the normal servers. Players will want a break from the stress and will want to take it easy after a while. Especially after leveling all you can manage while you're waiting for the next rebirth. Please consider this, I'm sure this is a good idea.

Optional Idea:
-Permadeath character acts as a Hero talent character where it grants gained AP to another character up to a Maximum of 50 per current life until rebirth.

Edit: Putting this here because there seems to be a lot of the same points coming up

Permadeath
-A permadeath server would be different from a normal server and should be approached differently
-We don't know how many people would use the server because it's not implemented
Consequence of Dying
-You would know what you're getting into so laggy internet would not be an excuse for death
-Hard to train skills should be trained by people who actually want to train them
Nexon/Money
-We don't know whether Nexon would be able to afford or profit from this but it is ultimately up to them to decide
-This doesn't split the playerbase because this is a 1 character per server idea that would still be running on the 1 rebirth per week model which naturally limits how much you can do on the server with your single character

Edit 2:
Offered Ideas
-Server-wide increased Rates of EXP, AP, and Skill Training
-Your talent locks until next death
-Bio/Character descriptions that show when you right click a player.

IGN: Choten
Server: Mari
THICCthighssavelives

Comments

  • AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    Posts: 31
    Member
    edited January 11, 2019
    i do not have any interest in this myself and i highly doubt there there will be enough ppl who would want this for Nexon to even consider it (why would they make a server only a few ppl would be willing to play on).
    In my opinion mabi would not work well with a perma death system like you are suggesting due all the grinding of training skills and getting the best equipment/fashion that mabi has.
    ChoLeineistarkiller1286FaybalZeo
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    AlexLight wrote: »
    i do not have any interest in this myself and i highly doubt there there will be enough ppl who would want this for Nexon to even consider it (why would they make a server only a few ppl would be willing to play on).
    In my opinion mabi would not work well with a perma death system like you are suggesting due all the grinding of training skills that mabi has.

    Skill grinding doesn't actually take that long when you focus on one talent. You can do Hard level shadow missions with R1 Combat, Smash, Defense, and Windmill for example. I'm sure there would be a decent number of people playing on it if it's implemented. Unlike other servers, all of your interactions are tied to one character and it takes place on one server. This sort of funnels all people playing on all servers into one server for a completely unique experience.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 14,655
    Posts: 2,286
    Member
    Life skills are a totally different bear though.
    AlexLight
  • AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    Posts: 31
    Member
    and how about life skills? magic craft and hillwen engi are a serious pain to level and are needed to make quite a few end game equip's
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,500
    Posts: 881
    Member
    edited January 11, 2019
    This idea sounds completely awful. Why punish players for deaths? This would kill the game and no one would do any content. (like Hasi raids or Phatasm) or when someone has lag hit and they die by that. Why suggest something that would cause the game to loose it's playerbase. I sure as hell would not want my 30k total level character, whose r1 all skills and who spend real life money to get my gear where it is, all back to lv 1. This idea sounds like a way to get nexon to close mabi.
    AlexLightLeineiFaybalpeloisanWolfsingerPrezzixTwelie
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,975
    Posts: 878
    Member
    Oh HELLZ no!!!
    Zeo
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    AlexLight wrote: »
    and how about life skills? magic craft and hillwen engi are a serious pain to level and are needed to make quite a few end game equip's
    I mean you could ask, "Why does a life skill player need to die in a dungeon or a shadow mission?" In a permadeath server I think the experience would be less of "I'm going to max out every skill on my skill list" and more "I'm going to make a character that can survive and progress"
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    This idea sounds completely awful. Why punish players for deaths? This would kill the game and no one would do any content. (like Hasi raids or Phatasm) or when someone has lag hit and they die by that. Why suggest something that would cause the game to loose it's playerbase. I sure as hell would not want my 30k total level character, whose r1 all skills and who spend real life money to get my gear where it is, all back to lv 1. This idea sounds like a way to get nexon to close mabi.
    I get people saying I don't like it. But what I don't get is people saying I don't like therefore no one will like it. Just because you lose a character on the Permadeath Server doesn't mean you lose your Alexina character or whatever server you play on. How does this make nexon close mabi?

    It's a side thing for fun or for some people it can be there main thing. If you look at a game like Path of Exile, there are people who enjoy playing at their own pace on the Standard server and people who enjoy the thrill of the Hardcore server. Having the hardcore server exist doesn't hurt the standard server. There's no guarantee people would even play on the Standard server if the Hardcore server didn't exist. With Mabi having a "hardcore" server it would affect the normal server even less because there's a limit to how much you can accomplish in one rebirth.

  • AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    Posts: 31
    Member
    besides even tho it is not ''that'' difficult to train combat skills, to re train several talents (which you will need for utility, coverage for weakness expample ranged for mobs resistance to physical and for the stats you gain from skill ranks) would be a serious pain
    LeineiFaybal
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    Is this people responding to my suggestion because they don't like change or is it because they're scared of dying on a Permadeath server where everyone will be also dying??? I'm glad there's a lot of feedback but I'm confused at what the problem is unless there's a misunderstanding.
  • AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    Posts: 31
    Member
    why would a life skiller die you asked, you think ppl would be life skiller only?
    Faybal
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,900
    Posts: 2,759
    Member
    edited January 11, 2019
    You have to consider that our population is already small enough. Why make an entire server when the main outcry has been to merge servers? An MMORPG's crowd is dependent on the game itself. We clearly already have several established audiences, and the current shift has made the game far less difficult than it was at inception.

    Path of Exile has an entirely different audience, and it is clearly a game aimed for those who enjoyed tests of skills in a roguelike setting, and who particularly weren't satisfied by recent iterations of Diablo.

    My point? We are simply not a crowd that craves a Dark Soul's experience in Mabinogi at this point, and I doubt anything can be done to reverse that change. Which means we wouldn't have a population to justify this, especially with a three pet limit limiting sales. Combined with how this demands some level of fairness, in an economy driven mostly by Gachapon purchases, Nexon has no interest in it either.

    I would first and foremost, at least like some skills variety to be encouraged, and for some of the old difficulty to be back, yet even that is a bit unrealistic. It is far tougher to essentially rip out content that has been mainstays for the last few years than it is to never implement it.
    AlexLightLeineiFaybalpeloisanZeoTwelie
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    AlexLight wrote: »
    besides even tho it is not ''that'' difficult to train combat skills, to re train several talents (which you will need for utility, coverage for weakness expample ranged for mobs resistance to physical and for the stats you gain from skill ranks) would be a serious pain

    In a single server, with everyone trying not to die, why not party with someone who covers your weaknesses? Not to say that you can't use Archery yourself but you definitely wouldn't always need to max it out. Say one monster in a mob resists melee. You trained r5 Magnum and r1 for this. You keep an upgraded Leather Long Bow with Fine Handmade arrows to increase your damage. You kill the monster and go back to meleeing. Or just have a ranger in the party.
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    AlexLight wrote: »
    why would a life skiller die you asked, you think ppl would be life skiller only?

    In the permadeath server most likely. You think people would seriously spend months ranking a skill in the Permadeath server without considering that they might die? Like I'm saying it's a different experience, I don't think an average person would just mindlessly rank everything expecting not to die eventually.
  • AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    Posts: 31
    Member
    edited January 11, 2019
    then you can also ask why would someone rank life skills in a perma death server
    Faybal
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    You have to consider that our population is already small enough. Why make an entire server when the main outcry has been to merge servers? An MMORPG's crowd is dependent on the game itself. We clearly already have several established audiences, and the current shift has made the game far less difficult than it was at inception.

    Path of Exile has an entirely different audience, and it is clearly a game aimed for those who enjoyed tests of skills in a roguelike setting, and who particularly weren't satisfied by recent iterations of Diablo.

    My point? We are simply not a crowd that craves a Dark Soul's experience in Mabinogi at this point, and I doubt anything can be done to reverse that change. Which means we wouldn't have a population to justify this, especially with a three pet limit limiting sales. Combined with how this demands some level of fairness, in an economy driven mostly by Gachapon purchases, Nexon has no interest in it either.

    I would first and foremost, at least like some skills variety to be encouraged, and for some of the old difficulty to be back, yet even that is a bit unrealistic. It is far tougher to essentially rip out content that has been mainstays for the last few years than it is to never implement it.

    You're phrasing this like people would be living on this server permanantly. 3 pets is an idea to keep it fair. I'm going to go ahead an assume most people play this game on one server over multiple alts. A permadeath server doesn't divide the userbase because it's limited to 1 character per account and it's on 1 server. How much can you really do if I give you a week on a new server? When you've done all you can, you can go back to a regular server for a casual experience and that's only counting if you want to even play on that server in the first place. Maybe it's not for you, no one would be forcing you.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 14,655
    Posts: 2,286
    Member
    Cho wrote: »
    Is this people responding to my suggestion because they don't like change or is it because they're scared of dying on a Permadeath server where everyone will be also dying??? I'm glad there's a lot of feedback but I'm confused at what the problem is unless there's a misunderstanding.

    You're suggesting people risk losing the results of hardwork that they've put into a new server character just because they die on this "hardcore server". That's not something people are going to like. There are too many variables to take into account like lag spikes. That could wreck a character back to level 1 based on your parameters.

    Also skills that have gather quests behind them like ice spear would not work with your server idea as people would have to re-acquire those pages. Same with Shock.

    Also if you want life skillers that can craft higher rank weapons and such, I think it would be best to alter those parameters. If everyone is going to be dying, no one is going to put the effort into crafting if they're going to lose it that easily.
    AlexLightFaybalWolfsingerTwelie
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    AlexLight wrote: »
    then you can also ask why would someone rank life skills in a perma death server

    I would think to have a way to raise money and participate in the atmosphere without dying.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 14,655
    Posts: 2,286
    Member
    edited January 11, 2019
    Cho wrote: »
    AlexLight wrote: »
    then you can also ask why would someone rank life skills in a perma death server

    I would think to have a way to raise money and participate in the atmosphere without dying.

    But you have to have materials to rank and unless you have a sponsor of sorts, you yourself will have to go hunting for them. Therein lies the threat to life. Unless your guild is willing to build a life skiller up, the crafter will need gold to buy materials if they themselves can't farm them and that too puts them into danger.

    And furthermore this will cause more problems. If someone dies during the acquisition of materials, they will eventually decide it is no longer worth it. The crafter will lose their supplier and then crafting will once again be at a standstill.
    AlexLightFaybalWolfsingerTwelie
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    edited January 11, 2019
    Leinei wrote: »
    Cho wrote: »
    Is this people responding to my suggestion because they don't like change or is it because they're scared of dying on a Permadeath server where everyone will be also dying??? I'm glad there's a lot of feedback but I'm confused at what the problem is unless there's a misunderstanding.

    You're suggesting people risk losing the results of hardwork that they've put into a new server character just because they die on this "hardcore server". That's not something people are going to like. There are too many variables to take into account like lag spikes. That could wreck a character back to level 1 based on your parameters.

    Also skills that have gather quests behind them like ice spear would not work with your server idea as people would have to re-acquire those pages. Same with Shock.

    Also if you want life skillers that can craft higher rank weapons and such, I think it would be best to alter those parameters. If everyone is going to be dying, no one is going to put the effort into crafting if they're going to lose it that easily.

    You could store extra skill pages in your bank in an emergency or rebuy them with bank money. High rank weapons can go in the bank if you don't absolutely need them. If you're on the Permadeath server you would know the rules. You die, and use the items in your bank to start over. This "I worked so hard on my character and now I died" situation would mostly be your fault. Don't play on the Permadeath server when your ISP is giving you lag spikes. Don't play on the Permadeath server on wifi unless you're that gutsy. It's the fun of a permadeath server to see how far you can go.
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    edited January 11, 2019
    Leinei wrote: »
    Cho wrote: »
    AlexLight wrote: »
    then you can also ask why would someone rank life skills in a perma death server

    I would think to have a way to raise money and participate in the atmosphere without dying.

    But you have to have materials to rank and unless you have a sponsor of sorts, you yourself will have to go hunting for them. Therein lies the threat to life. Unless your guild is willing to build a life skiller up, the crafter will need gold to buy materials if they themselves can't farm them and that too puts them into danger.

    And furthermore this will cause more problems. If someone dies during the acquisition of materials, they will eventually decide it is no longer worth it. The crafter will lose their supplier and then crafting will once again be at a standstill.

    You start out slow. I.E Kill things in Alby > Pick up EVERYTHING > Sell to NPC > do PTJ > do Commerce > Run from bandits if it's too much to handle. Eventually you're in Dunbarton crafting with a party that says B>Finest Leathers. You may NEVER see things like the Soluna Blade in a permadeath server but if someone has it, you know they went through a lot to get it.