Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Windmill: Use Windmill As Counterattack

KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
edited January 25, 2019 in Help
Just curious, I was on another character doing the Blaanid memories and I was training windmill from rank F to rank D.
However, I can't seem to train the "Use windmill as a counterattack."
I've provoked enemies with rock throw and activate windmill right when they're about to hit me, and it doesn't update.
The other training method is unknown training method, which I can't find any info on.

It's been so long since I've trained beginner windmill from my main character, I don't know if there has been any changes since. But for now, I'm stuck on this low rank for this character.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    The counterattack requirement is when you get knocked down with the skill loaded and automatically activates. You can also coerce it by spam clicking as you're being knocked down.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    The counterattack requirement is when you get knocked down with the skill loaded and automatically activates. You can also coerce it by spam clicking as you're being knocked down.

So spam it while knocked down and hope that it activates?
  • KrucifixKrucifix
    Mabinogi Rep: 830

Pretty much...

An easy way to go about doing this is entering a dungeon and finding a room full of mimics, the treasure box looking mobs. if you're sitting on a pet that doesn't have a mounted attack; you can click all the mimics, desummon your pet, and watch as all the mimics swarm you. Run to a corner and load windmill as they knock you down and spam click it. I mean this is probably the archaic way of doing it, but it works.
    Krucifix wrote: »

Pretty much...

An easy way to go about doing this is entering a dungeon and finding a room full of mimics, the treasure box looking mobs. if you're sitting on a pet that doesn't have a mounted attack; you can click all the mimics, desummon your pet, and watch as all the mimics swarm you. Run to a corner and load windmill as they knock you down and spam click it. I mean this is probably the archaic way of doing it, but it works.

Yeowch,the hard part is the spamming part because the activation sucks.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    edited February 7, 2019
    Oh I made a video for this one

Spam the windmill hotkey as soon as the zombie starts hitting you and it will proc. Zombies time their attacks so they're a little slower than most mobs, giving you a larger window for the counter-mill to activate.

Do NOT let more than one zombie hit you, if you fall down the counter-mill won't activate.
    Kensamaofmari
    Eralea wrote: »
    Oh I made a video for this one

Spam the windmill hotkey as soon as the zombie starts hitting you and it will proc. Zombies time their attacks so they're a little slower than most mobs, giving you a larger window for the counter-mill to activate.

Do NOT let more than one zombie hit you, if you fall down the counter-mill won't activate.

So it will be a lot harder to train this with normal mobs.
    I'm still wondering what the unknown method for this rank is.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    I know some lagless people who can get it to proc while fighting faster-attacking mobs and I've done it by accident a few times during actual combat. You can see from my video that a successful use occurs before you're knocked down, not after. Just have to practise getting the timing right.

I reckon this function of windmill dates way back when it was designed to be used as a defensive skill - sacrifice 10% hp to get i-frames + prevent yourself from getting knocked down (hence why it's called a counterattack). People just happened to use it as an offensive skill instead, so devcat tweaked it for its more popular usage.

Unknown methods for windmill from rD onwards are always "attack/defeat four strong enemies at once". This is also easily done in Their Method - set up the finish rule to "Anyone" and throw the zombies into a neat pile before finishing.
  • OrkaneOrkane
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,365
    I know some lagless people who can get it to proc while fighting faster-attacking mobs and I've done it by accident a few times during actual combat. You can see from my video that a successful use occurs before you're knocked down, not after. Just have to practise getting the timing right.

I reckon this function of windmill dates way back when it was designed to be used as a defensive skill - sacrifice 10% hp to get i-frames + prevent yourself from getting knocked down (hence why it's called a counterattack). People just happened to use it as an offensive skill instead, so devcat tweaked it for its more popular usage.

Unknown methods for windmill from rD onwards are always "attack/defeat four strong enemies at once". This is also easily done in Their Method - set up the finish rule to "Anyone" and throw the zombies into a neat pile before finishing.

The zombies in Their Methods have high prot/hp relative to their CP. They also ping all the time reducing damage against them. I'd advise using The Other Alchemists instead. These days, with the help of memoirs, a new player can get to rank 1 windmill in a couple of hours by rebirthing into warrior talent, completing one quest to get to level 123, and then picking whichever level of TOA is appropriate (probably basic).
    Kensamaofmari
    Orkane wrote: »

The zombies in Their Methods have high prot/hp relative to their CP. They also ping all the time reducing damage against them. I'd advise using The Other Alchemists instead. These days, with the help of memoirs, a new player can get to rank 1 windmill in a couple of hours by rebirthing into warrior talent, completing one quest to get to level 123, and then picking whichever level of TOA is appropriate (probably basic).

I'm using warrior class for that character and I'm literally 1 successful counterattack with windmill from the next rank since everything else was trained and the other is unknown method.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265

I'm using warrior class for that character and I'm literally 1 successful counterattack with windmill from the next rank since everything else was trained and the other is unknown method.

Why not check the wiki for the unknown method?
    It's probably something like "Defeat Several Normal/Strong Enemies at once" where "several" means "4 or more"
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Why not check the wiki for the unknown method?
    It's probably something like "Defeat Several Normal/Strong Enemies at once" where "several" means "4 or more"

I think it might be attack/defeat several of similar rank. I might have been looking at the wrong rank the whole time on wiki.
    I guess I'll find out whenever I decide to log on that character again. Since I have the agony of logging on to a lot of wasted expired items.