Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Cancel Auction Bids

BerryswirlBerryswirl
Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
in Feedback and Suggestions
Not sure if there is a thread for this here already, but it would be nice to cancel a bid you made on auction house.

Sometimes you bid on something then someone puts one up for a buyout way cheaper than you bid, its a little irritating that you cant cancel bids.
  1. Cancel bids?25 votes
    1. Yas.
       24% (6 votes)
    2. Nah.
       76% (19 votes)

Comments

• ZairakZairak
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    Nah. That would not fly in any auction in reality.

To say nothing of the potential for griefing auctioneers, if you are not willing to pay an amount for something, you should not bid that amount.
    KensamaofmariLenari
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    This isn't reality, it's a game.

It doesn't have anything to do with grieving or not being willing to pay a certain amount, either. For example, you can be willing to pay 10m for an item, but if you see one for 5m, you're obviously going to want to buy that one instead. Just because you would rather buy the 5m item doesn't mean you are not willing to pay 10m. Not everyone is malicious or thinks about just dropping out of something when they don't get their way. Most people are pretty mature about it. If you were able to get the cheaper one, then you could cancel your bid on the 10m one, and if you didn't get the cheaper one, you were going to spend 10m anyway, so chances are you wouldn't have an issue keeping the bid up.

I'm 99% certain anyone buying anything would rather have the cheaper of the two for sale, if you happen to be the one to notice the cheaper item, and are able to get it before someone else does, that would be nice.

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited February 8, 2019
    The art in bidding is to never bid high especially if you're shopping around and there will likely be another posting of that item.
    Unless you really want that item and are willing to pay that amount, then that's what you bid.
    Auctioning/bidding is not something easy to manage unless you do it all the time.

This is a game, but in the end auctioning is called auctioning.

As there are time limits, to prevent huge potential losses, bid towards the end of auctions. That's the way to work it.

Unless there should be another method of doing item sales outside the shop and party to be suggested.
    Wolfsinger
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited February 9, 2019
    Berryswirl wrote: »

It doesn't have anything to do with grieving or not being willing to pay a certain amount, either. For example, you can be willing to pay 10m for an item, but if you see one for 5m, you're obviously going to want to buy that one instead. Just because you would rather buy the 5m item doesn't mean you are not willing to pay 10m. Not everyone is malicious or thinks about just dropping out of something when they don't get their way. Most people are pretty mature about it. If you were able to get the cheaper one, then you could cancel your bid on the 10m one, and if you didn't get the cheaper one, you were going to spend 10m anyway, so chances are you wouldn't have an issue keeping the bid up.

I'm 99% certain anyone buying anything would rather have the cheaper of the two for sale, if you happen to be the one to notice the cheaper item, and are able to get it before someone else does, that would be nice.

It would be difficult to not only code in but also complicate other matters.

Specifically, you are essentially retracting the top bid, a choice only permitted to those who were outbid. How should the system operate with the top bidder retracting their offer?

Surely we can go on the next, can't we? Oh, wait, what if that bidder has already and rightfully taken out his bid? This is obviously problematic; not only have we given the top bidder the ability to cancel his bid, but also a means to inadvertently cancel someone else's bid if at best just grief them. This is a waste of the seller's time. I am 99% sure any seller like you and I would be upset if people wasted our time due to their own rash display of ignorance.

The idea of passing it on seems irresponsible as it is chance dependent, given how quickly others normally collect their failed bids.

So first, there needs to be a system that can handle these transactions.

Secondly, one can argue that the bidder has the right to their money, but does this right exist when a bid is made? Some might say if you put up your money for an item, that you have of your own volition agreed to a formal but unspoken promise. "I offer you this money, and it is the top price, you give me that item".

To which I do not know where to stand on this idea. Though if promises were made, surely they must be kept. (I once chewed someone out to buy my outfits after they tried to cancel at the last minute when I met up with them at a bank, because they found it cheaper. You scheduled for us to meet at the bank for this transaction. I took time out of my gametime, and you expect me to be okay? That's not how it works.)

It may not be reality, but there are real individuals behind this screen. Courtesy is a thing.

My overall idea? Caveat Emptor. You are making a necessary risk when purchasing. Swallow it, or don't buy it at all.
    AlexLightTwelie
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited February 9, 2019
    If you as the buyer can cancel your top bid, then should the seller also be allowed to cancel the auction in progress if the top bid is too low for their liking?
    Greta
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited February 10, 2019
    Who the hell lists item for 5m if they see people willing to bid it for 10m? Tell me who? I would list it at least 8m-9m, but not 5m rofl.
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    If you as the buyer can cancel your top bid, then should the seller also be allowed to cancel the auction in progress if the top bid is too low for their liking?

This.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    The point of the system is to force commitment on both sides of the transaction. Consider it like this, on the flip side of the coin you bid 5m on an item that was just released, however a sudden surge of demand happened and the item is worth 10m. The seller wants more money, so they cancel the auction entirely and reset the price. That isn't fair to the buyer just as cancelling a top bid is unfair to the seller. The auction house offers a system that forces commitment for both the seller and buyer, do not commit to an auction if you're not prepared to spend that money. If you commit that money, consider that the transaction is already complete, plain and simple. If you committed to a bid and find the same item cheaper, its the same if you bought the item from a shop, only to find that a shop that opened right next to it has it cheaper. Basically, think before you act. Or take the risk and accept that you may have losses from taking the risk.
    Berryswirl
    Greta wrote: »
    Who the hell lists item for 5m if they see people willing to bid it for 10m? Tell me who? I would list it at least 8m-9m, but not 5m rofl.

People who undercut just to get rid of it.
    Greta
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    edited February 13, 2019
    Oh I misread thought you were SELLING in the bid not buying.

Yea would be a bummer if you end up in top bid then found an item far lesser then like to cancel to buy the cheaper one but to be honest, it be kinda unfair to the seller.

So still a nah from me.

Bid should remain as a Bid, should avoid bid if you can't commit.
    If we had a different type of transactions, then there should be a cancel offer button.
  • KyomikuKyomiku
    Mabinogi Rep: 965
    Something tells me you don't know how an auction works
  • KyomikuKyomiku
    Mabinogi Rep: 965

Also your maturity is really shown in how you expect a historic method of trade to be changed simply because you made the mistake of overbidding. If I bid on a car and shortly after the brand who makes the car went bankrupt and the value of the car decreases; do I blame the auctioneer for not letting me return my bid?

The whole point of an auction is complete fairness for both the seller and also the buyer, the buyer can pay what they are prepared to pay for the item, and the seller can potentially earn more profit off of their item if proven popular. Changing any of these two fundamental features of an auction would no longer make it an auction...
    AlshianWolfsinger
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Kyomiku wrote: »

Also your maturity is really shown in how you expect a historic method of trade to be changed simply because you made the mistake of overbidding. If I bid on a car and shortly after the brand who makes the car went bankrupt and the value of the car decreases; do I blame the auctioneer for not letting me return my bid?

The whole point of an auction is complete fairness for both the seller and also the buyer, the buyer can pay what they are prepared to pay for the item, and the seller can potentially earn more profit off of their item if proven popular. Changing any of these two fundamental features of an auction would no longer make it an auction...

Agreed but I believe words is wasted on this OP He/she is to naive through the Arts of Trade.
    Kyomiku wrote: »
    Something tells me you don't know how an auction works

InfantileImmenseAquaticleech-small.gif
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    edited February 14, 2019

Just because you would rather buy the 5m item doesn't mean you are not willing to pay 10m.

This thread wasn't me complaining about how sellers price things, nor that I'm not able to commit to bids I make, which I've stated. " You were going to spend 10m anyway, so chances are you wouldn't have an issue keeping the bid up."

The Feedback section of the forum is for people to spit out ideas and thoughts, to take different point of views into account. Maybe you don’t think my position is as good as yours—but I still think it deserves to be taken with respect and some decency. It’s one thing to have dissimilar preferences, but it’s quite another to insult someone because they stated an idea they had that you don't agree with. @Kyomiku.

Debating is fine, and very different from what a few posts have been here.

For those of you who are correctly debating, you're right, canceling bids would be unfair to the seller, provided they don't get someone else to bid on the item (or if they saw your bid was higher, then got a lower one afterwards) that would be frustrating.

This would make sense as if the buyer can cancel offers, than the seller has a right to cancel sales, so they could raise the minimum bid requirement.
    Berry, what people are trying to explain, and many rather bluntly is that the point of auctions is that a buyer commits to paying an amount for a certain item knowing the consequences of the potential gamble in bidding. Often times, bidding has to be strategized and a bidder should always prepare a certain budget to commit to.

While it is painful to pay a high sum in bidding for a certain item only to find out there is something else available for lower, the system of auction should not be changed.

Adding a cancel offer button in an auction would hurt the seller because anyone would be able to cancel their bid.

But what you say about sellers cancelling sales and then resubmitting he minimum is just as unfair.

If the seller has finalized his/her submission of an item put up for auction, it should be locked until the auction duration is over and if buyers commit to that auction, they should be locked too.

That is the only fair way of doing it.
    Twelie
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Yes, I understand what people are saying, and I did agree in my last statement.

I didn't make this thread with any intention at all of anything actually being changed in-game, very rarely if ever has anything out of here made it into the game.
    Yes, I understand what people are saying, and I did agree in my last statement.

I didn't make this thread with any intention at all of anything actually being changed in-game, very rarely if ever has anything out of here made it into the game.

This is the part where we have to hope that Nexon is reading and post it in their notes on things to improve on. Because AH system definitely can use improvements.
    BerryswirlWolfsinger