Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How underwhelming do you feel Hailstorm/Meteor is

OwntrolfOwntrolf
Mabinogi Rep: 2,000
edited March 26, 2019 in General Chat
I never see myself using Hail Storm because of how bad the skill actually is to use
-Locked on the spot
-1400 range (no reforge, +600 with lv20 range reforge)
-Slow crystal charge time (does not decrease with cast speed
-Small splash radius

Its basically downgraded firebolt that roots you in place
But it could use some dan ranks

Meteor is okay but its practically unusable in multiaggro since it doesnt work with cast speed and the cast animation is too long but the cast animation can get cancelled by taking 1 hit while having the meteor still fall
  1. How is Hailstorm38 votes
    1. Its good
       26% (10 votes)
    2. It sucks
       74% (28 votes)

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Timing, timing, timing.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Also drains so much MP....
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Get more mp and it won't be a problem.
    Kensamaofmari
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    there is nothing wrong with meteor, it is all about knowing when to use it in a fight. meteor doesn't use very much mp if you use it quickly which just takes timing and the skill has become even easier to use with bachram boost since it can get rid of that massive cool down time meteor takes if timed right.

hailstorm can be a bit more draining on mp. the only major improvement I would like to see with hailstorm is if they could double the range it would make the skill much easier to use. kind of annoying using all that mp charging it up and the enemy moves 2 or 3 steps and suddenly you are out of range. only options are wait for the enemy to get smart enough to move closer or cancel the skill and get closer then waste more mp charging it up again.
    CrimsọnTHICCthighssavelives
  • GretaGreta
    Gaea wrote: »
    Get more mp and it won't be a problem.

That's not the solution. Even with 2k MP it's draining too much and still does less than simple Thunder.or Ice Spear.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Honestly I mostly use hail storm in illusion and only if I've cornered the mobs. Otherwise the skill is near useless. Meteor on the other hand gets use as I usually use it as a first strike. On that note if you really NEED to fire it off and are surrounded, pop a shield of trust, the stander you get from it should be JUUUUUUST enough that you can charge one up and drop it. In terms of usage its actually not as bad as Sakura abyss where you need be standing in the middle of the crowd to nab the most mobs. Plus its firing range is really good (its 3000) which is outside most mob's aggro range giving you a good chance to use it from far away.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    As someone who wasted a good 7 years and twenty five thousand levels playing an elf desperately trying to main the burning dumpster fire of a skillset that is magic, I personally feel hailstorm and meteor are both pinnacle highlights of the problems with magic. Needlessly long cast times, canceled by any pissant mob hitting you for 1 (ONE) damage for both, not to mention the absolutely pathetic damage output even with rosemaries and ice/fire mastery pay to win, basically useless splash on hailstorm without a dedicated crisis slave (and why even use hail over blaze at that point) if you can even hit the crisis pile with it's pathetic targeting range, speaking of worthless, meteor doesn't even do the full damage except for a tiny portion at the center, dropping to a measley half damage at the edges of the AOE.

Lightning Rod on the other hand, potentially instant use if you don't want to do good damage or are killing trashmobs, more damage the longer you hold the hotkey like blaze but doesnt require any real setup or nuclear strike percision positioning, also does more damage than meteor and hailstorm if you do bother to charge it for the COMPARITIVELY short TWO SECONDS.

Magic is basically one of the BLACK SHEEP skillsets in mabinogi, most of the skills are completely useless and have some poorly applied bandaids and bad formula changes applied in an attempt to curb the players backlash, but really the entire tab needs reworked aside from Firebolt, Blaze, and Lightning Rod. ESPECIALLY healing and party healing.
    Bonus shoutout to the other black sheep, fighter and alchemy which also need complete revamps. Asking for them on NA won't acheive anything though so I won't make one of my patented walls of text about how to fix them. :)

BONUS BONUS for the stubborn FOOLS like myself who JUST WANT to play mage in their RPGs: Spinning slash -> Lightning Rod (you can combo card it 3x with dan custom cards, get LR cd blue echostone 20 level and it's up every 7 seconds)
    Firebolt is actually bad too once you make an erg 50 cylinder (good luck on NA where mats don't exist, server merge would help this slightly even though it will destroy eco and make them 4x or more the cost) Water Cannon is superior due to getting +120% under a cloud with reforge, and benefitting fully from combo card, combo card for firebolt only adds to the multiplier from the magic masteries rather than a flat bonus like any other skillset gets. If you've got a cast speed reforged tribolt already though it's decent enough but dont bother with combo card.
    Thunder is probably ok with a Thunder x6 combo card, probably. Don't think I'd really bother in tech duinn missions, even on normal, maybe good enough for phantasm though if you dont lose all your charges from shooting rush succubii doing 1 damage to you, if you can charge it. Iron Will exists?
    Cant forget Ice Spear still has one niche use in alban training grounds, it's never too late to work on that +5% critical damage totem so Lightning Rod hits a little higher everywhere else :)..
    Blaze off of other people's spinning slashes, and their act 7s once g23 comes and makes puppet partially viable again.
    We don't have much to work with so thats about all I've got to offer that wont just meme you into being aggro'd by everything and doing 0 dmg. At least int gives gun max BIG IRON BIIIIIG IIIIIROOON.
  • OdinMOdinM
    Mabinogi Rep: 610
    edited March 26, 2019
    I'm a career mage and have been since I created my main in G9, even though I have older characters dating back to Pioneers of Iria.

There was a very brief window around G13/G14 where magic was actually pretty good. And even then it was never the best, at the best magic could do it was still weaker than alchemy. It was still good enough that I did all the gens an elf could do at the time using almost exclusively int magic.

Once skills like puppets and guns were introduced were introduced magic became completely pointless. In the time it takes me to deliver a fully charged thunder, most characters can just melee the enemy to death, delivering as much per-hit damage as my magic does, and hitting the enemy 2-3x faster than I can. The DPS of a mage is not what it should be.

A mage should be a glass cannon. Walk into a room and everything around you dies. And in the current meta mages are anything but that. I basically don't even try to play content above G16 anymore because the mobs are specified for the newer skill trees that have so much power creep in them compared to an old mage like me.

In the field I still mostly use thunder. And pretty much only thunder. It was always my thing. Sometimes I'll use fireball if a room spawns grouped up enough to be effective, and I save Meteor to use on the bosses. But hailstorm doesn't enter the equation at all, while Lightning Rod is used defensively like Shockwave to make enemies get away from me.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    I tend to view meteor as a room clearer for initial and emergency use. But it has to be rank 1 and really...you gotta have all your skills maxed out for it to make an impact. It has it's uses but timing, skill, and experience is required to know when and where to use it. You guys complaining about mp usage, that's just another factor that can be remedied with other skills maxed out. Mp management is not meteor's fault, it's you.
    SebastianTophelBronzebreak
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I admit, upon using Hailstorm at Rank 1 for the first time today, it did leave me feeling a bit...cold.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    I tend to view meteor as a room clearer for initial and emergency use. But it has to be rank 1 and really...you gotta have all your skills maxed out for it to make an impact. It has it's uses but timing, skill, and experience is required to know when and where to use it. You guys complaining about mp usage, that's just another factor that can be remedied with other skills maxed out. Mp management is not meteor's fault, it's you.

Violently likes this post

But please make magic more viable in newer content pls & thx, side eyes Magic Resistance
    Crimsọn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited March 26, 2019
    I admit, upon using Hailstorm at Rank 1 for the first time today, it did leave me feeling a bit...cold.

Weak.
    ActualHugeAoudad-size_restricted.gif
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited March 26, 2019

Weak.

Cool Cold beans. ;)
    Crimsọn
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

Weak.

Cool Cold beans. ;)

Frozen beans.
    depositphotos_49071355-stock-photo-frozen-french-beans.jpg[img][/img]
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    I feel that Meteor is to weak now... With it's cooldown you can do other means that dealt about 2~3 times the damage just by using other means. Although that got fixed with a Tech that get rid of the cooldown a few times for some quick burst damage from it but that is it. Its a great AOE but felt like its more great with a few techs.

Hailstorm is kinda fine just need more AOE and if enemies get in range of the hail surrounding the player should freeze for 3 seconds. Everything else seem fine with me.
  • GretaGreta
    Ice Spear or/and Thunder Spam > Hail Storm.
    Any day baby. At least for me.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Greta wrote: »
    Ice Spear or/and Thunder Spam > Hail Storm.
    Any day baby. At least for me.

I'm still using fireball for some reason.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    edited March 26, 2019
    Alshian wrote: »
    Hailstorm is kinda fine just need more AOE and if enemies get in range of the hail surrounding the player should freeze for 3 seconds. Everything else seem fine with me.

Or just make it faster in general. You get more DPS just out of CC'ing Firebolt.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I think meteor should cast quickly but take a long time (20 seconds?) to actually make impact, all the while your character can move around while the already-cast meteor is "falling" to Erinn. The longer meteor strike charges the stronger the initial impact and persisting flames should be, with the limit being the character's max mana.

Hailstorm could act like a minigun, firing a rapid stream of (relatively) low damage projectiles in the direction of the mouse cursor. The skill will drain a set amount of mana per second and can stay active as long as the player has the mana to support it. This skill will be useful to defeat low HP creatures with immunities or extreme resistences to damage, like kiwis and zombies.
    ChaosShadow
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    KensamaofmariSebastian