Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Returning player wondering how to get stronger

FennelaFennela
Mabinogi Rep: 300
in Help
I played mabinogi very casually several years later. I just decided to get back into the game. My character has a pretty high cumulative level (2800+) but is super weak. Since many of the main scenario quests (which I used to completely ignore) scale according to level, I can't seem to make any progress. How do I get stronger? I definitely need stronger weapons I think but I don't even know where to start. Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Nightsky7Nightsky7
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    You should find out what stats you need to do more damage with your favorite weapon. After that, find out what skills you need to train to increase those stats.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    It all depends on what is making you "weak". Some folks have good characters but they don't know how to use their skills properly. They've gotten where they are because of getting help and by strictly powering their way through monsters; no finesse just by killing the monsters before they kill them. Some have picked talents that are trickier to use than others; if all you know is puppetry say and your puppet dies then what?

I've always recommended Construct Alchemy (Transmutation) for getting through tough spots. It's boring and it's slow but is very useful in situations where you are completely outclassed by the monsters.
  • FennelaFennela
    Helsa wrote: »
    It all depends on what is making you "weak". Some folks have good characters but they don't know how to use their skills properly. They've gotten where they are because of getting help and by strictly powering their way through monsters; no finesse just by killing the monsters before they kill them. Some have picked talents that are trickier to use than others; if all you know is puppetry say and your puppet dies then what?

I've always recommended Construct Alchemy (Transmutation) for getting through tough spots. It's boring and it's slow but is very useful in situations where you are completely outclassed by the monsters.

I've been using dual swords but I can barely progress in the newer G19 quests. Anything in a dungeon kills me really easily if it gets a hit in. I've tried the alchemy quests but most of the longer shadow missions are impossible for me to finish due to the scaling and I only have the more basic skills. Should I just level the basic skills?

• HelsaHelsa
    This is not meant as an insult, my apologies if you take it as such, but perhaps you just don't know how to fight. What server are you on?
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    edited April 16, 2019
    Yeah I was going to say I've completed almost all of the Generations just relying on low-ranked Thunder and Alchemy, though as Helsa pointed out it is quite tedious to rank to a 'useful'/combo-able level.
    If you had questions about maximization/gear/strategies or Alchemy, I can help (I'm on Alexina).
  • FennelaFennela
    It's definitely been a while since I played so I probably don't know how to fight any more. I'm on Alexina. Any tips on how to use the Alchemy/Thunder skills properly?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Fennela wrote: »
    It's definitely been a while since I played so I probably don't know how to fight any more. I'm on Alexina. Any tips on how to use the Alchemy/Thunder skills properly?

Check your private message box here.

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    You have dual swords, but how about swapping one of the swords for a shield to lessen the blow from enemies? Shields can be used with other one-handed weapons such as wands and cylinders as well.

Another thing to consider: have you ranked up your basic combat skills (Defense, Combat Mastery, Counterattack)? How about your Life Skills? Doing so allows you to gradually build up your base stats, although it takes time.
    You may want to take advantage of ranking other Talents' skills to boost your base stats as well.
    Greta
  • HelsaHelsa
    Getting a shield is not a bad idea. When you get more comfortable with using your skills then you can go back to using duel wielding. If you do get a shield though get a Guard Cylinder, that's a shield that has an alchemy cylinder in it. Then you can use it to shoot Sand Burst, Windblast, and what-have-you into the mix.
    Fluorette
  • TolnaTolna
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    edited April 23, 2019
    As others said, rank good ammount of skills in your most used talent. So for dualwielding, just work on maxing out all of your close combat skills and branch out to Lances for the str, and focus on str based skills. Then Ninja for even more str.

While doing this also don’t forget to grab a Special Upgraded weapon. Blue, Red, doesn’t matter but it will give you a pretty sizeable power boost. If cash is a problem go for a Blue upgraded Gladius or something, you won’t see much benifit to grabbing a R6 CRK at your level, and I personally saw good results with a pair of S3 Broadswords I still use at lvl 9k. This is done by upgrading a weapon normally, then gem upgrading, then using the glowy anvil things in most major towns. Theres a whole Memior tutorial on it, speaking of, they give tons of exp and are super worth it.

Other then that work on Enchanting your stuff. Rafting can give you tons of Fox enchants, The shadow Spider mission (even on basic) drops an awesome helmet enchant, Dexterity. There are plenty of decent sword emchants that are doable without a huge risk.

Lastly I would urge you to save G19 and above for the last gens you do. They are kinda rough, and many of the fights “cheat”. Like do % hp damage, use raid mechanics while you are alone or don’t have the skills to handle them. Random snap cast fireballs or a boss spamming an invulnerability move for 5+ minutes straight. It’s honestly best to go in and cheese it with Demi or overpower it with sheer stats.

The abilities you get are quite good, but IMO not worth the headache of fighting say....Tagar on a low level
  • InJectTheFluxPoisonInJectTheFluxPoison
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Be P2W~ its the meta