[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge Name Sniping

SorathSorath
Mabinogi Rep: 845
Posts: 30
Member
edited May 9, 2019 in General Chat
I thought this issue was important enough to warrant its own thread; when the servers merge, and peoples' names are forcibly changed, it seems reasonable that the original name will then become available.

Hypothetical situation: I am Sorath. I play on Mari. Another Sorath players on Tarlach/Ruairi, but they haven't logged in for four years. My name is changed to Sorath+Mari, their name is changed to Sorath+Tarlach or Sorath+Ruairi, whichever. The name Sorath is now available, as no one has the name any longer, and I have to make a pet or character with that name before someone else does (only to delete it later if/when name changes become available), or they'll have effectively taken from me part of what makes my time on this game unique.

Essentially, because someone very unlikely to play the game again shares my name, I am forced to spend money to safeguard my own name. It seems twisted to me that someone else could become Sorath while I am stuck as Sorath+Mari.

My hope is that either the original name becomes unavailable when the condition of someone having Name+Server apply, or that new characters will become Name+Nao.

Thoughts?
ShakayaSaintSavesPlatinaKoki

Comments

  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,115
    Posts: 715
    Member
    They could continue preventing new character creation on Nao for a short time after the merge to let everyone reclaim their names and prevent trolls from name-griefing.

    It's so disgusting that people are already planning to be spiteful just because they're feeling left out.
    CrimsShakayaKensamaofmariWolfsingerBuffalosTwelieKitiniVaughan
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 45,640
    Posts: 6,911
    Member
    edited May 10, 2019
    Eralea wrote: »
    They could continue preventing new character creation on Nao for a short time after the merge to let everyone reclaim their names and prevent trolls from name-griefing.

    It's so disgusting that people are already planning to be spiteful just because they're feeling left out.

    Actually THAT is a brilliant idea. They can keep it that way until they release name change coupons. Then after a week of that character creation can be re-enabled again.

    This will only work if they have plans to release name change coupons soon after the merge. I hope that's what they have planned. If not I have purchased a cheapo lizard pet that I will create immediately upon the servers going live. I will not lose my name that I have been using for 11 years to some childish troll.

    @Katherz please pass this onto the team. We will be able to avoid these vicious trollers from doing this kind of damage.

    KEEP CHARACTER AND PET CREATION DISABLED AFTER THE MERGE.
    KEEP CHARACTER AND PET CREATION DISABLED AFTER THE MERGE.
    KEEP CHARACTER AND PET CREATION DISABLED AFTER THE MERGE.
    ShakayaPan
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,460
    Posts: 2,720
    Member
    edited May 10, 2019
    Alrighty, deletion time!
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,120
    Posts: 223
    Member
    Honestly, I wish to
    In minecraft I hope, you wouldn't want to be making threats of violence and feeding the trolls free report wins.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,460
    Posts: 2,720
    Member
    edited May 10, 2019
    Lutetium wrote: »
    Honestly, I wish to
    In minecraft I hope, you wouldn't want to be making threats of violence and feeding the trolls free report wins.

    Sorry, sorry, it relaxes me to let out my inner violent self against acceptable targets. I mean, I do not really know if I would if I were able to without legal impunity, but how do I explain it...

    It's like punching a punching bag for me, except verbally.

    Note: Before anyone mentions it, yes, I am receiving professional help.
  • FinityFinity
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,090
    Posts: 182
    Member
    edited May 10, 2019
    Something needs to be done with names. There are a lot of duplicate names, but whats the chance of all of them playing actively to this date? We're going to end up having server tag beside our names because of people that don't even play anymore. I think those who actually plays should get priority over names first. Now that we're forming entire new server and duplicate names are being changed to name+server tags, that leaves Nao server's original names (those without server tags) available. It would make sense to let the most active player get their igns, and possibly have priority over their original igns.(i.e they get to reserve their original names in new servers) If that works out, Sorath in Mari should have priority over other Sorath, because Tarlarch and Ruairi's Soraths are inactive.

    We could have name reservation page, where people from those 3 server that are effected by merge can reserve their names in new servers. All new character creations should be disabled until everyone gets their reserved names. (It is possible, they have done it in other region) There should be limit to avoid exploits, like having cumulative level restriction.
    This is my own idea: It should have 2 phases. In phase 1, people get to reserve name that they already have.(For example, you only get to reserve the name Potato if you already have Potato in Mari/Tarlarch/Ruairi) If same name get claimed twice...well first come first serve.
    In phase 2, people get to reserve w/e remaining leftovers. (This way we can prevent impersonator taking your name)

    Of course this does not solve name conflict between duplicates that are active... but I think it will solve most of them, hopefully. I think the chance of people's duplicates still playing to this date are rare. At least there will be a lot of good names available, since all the duplicates get server tags.

    +For those who will be effected by duplicates in other servers, we're probably going to get free name change coupon.
    ShakayaTwelie
  • OdinMOdinM
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    Posts: 15
    Member
    edited May 10, 2019
    Finity wrote: »
    Something needs to be done with names. There are a lot of duplicate names, but whats the chance of all of them playing actively to this date?

    Really high, in fact. I have the same character names on all 4 servers. And not just one set of characters, 2 different character names that were repeated in this way. A total of 8 characters between the 4 servers that will collide with each other. One set was clones of my main built in the same style so I could play with friends on a familiar skillset and playstyle, the other set long ago worked the farms in Tailtean on each channel to farm gold so I could have nice things.

    So now, not only am I going to not only risk losing my name outright, but I am also going to have characters that I probably won't ever use again. Alts that were built the same way as my main, so that I could visit with friends on other servers yet still feel at home with a familiar play style.

    The only hope I can see of redeeming this is to look at when a character was used last and what their total level is, then give out the name change items in waves based on that. So a high level character that has been in game every day for weeks is going to be 1st in line, while a character under level 1000 that is only used a couple of times a year doesn't get their name change until 3 months out.

    Trying to make the items purchasable or allowing them to be obtained any other way is going to result in trolls abusing the system to perform name sniping, and make a lot of good players miserable for a long period of time while a griefer gets a few weeks of drama and amusement.

    The name change items shouldn't become available for purchase until a couple of months after the airdrop. That way everyone who had a beloved character name they wanted to keep has the best chance of getting it back, prioritized by how active they are and how long they've played.

    Shakaya
  • FinityFinity
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,090
    Posts: 182
    Member
    edited May 10, 2019
    OdinM wrote: »
    Finity wrote: »
    Something needs to be done with names. There are a lot of duplicate names, but whats the chance of all of them playing actively to this date?

    Really high, in fact. I have the same character names on all 4 servers. And not just one set of characters, 2 different character names that were repeated in this way. A total of 8 characters between the 4 servers that will collide with each other. One set was clones of my main built in the same style so I could play with friends on a familiar skillset and playstyle, the other set long ago worked the farms in Tailtean on each channel to farm gold so I could have nice things.
    I was talking about chances of different players using same igns still playing to this date, not chances of single user using same ign across all the servers, and playing on all of them. I honestly didn't think about that because not a lot of players do that. (Then again, having priority over already owned names will solve it)
    I mentioned it as being low chance because a lot of original names were taken when servers opened up (name hoarding, it happens in almost every single mmos) and by now a lot of them wouldn't even play anymore, or lost the character info.
    I do agree that there should be a way to have priority over your name so it won't be get taken away by trolls and people who wanna make quick profit out of this situation.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,255
    Posts: 343
    Member
    Sniping is par for the course in player-ruled politics. I look forward to the contoversy
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,420
    Posts: 712
    Member
    Harukari wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    I'm going to steal some player's IGNs. I hope you guys look forward to it, because you'll regret excluding Alexina out. S> IGNs, 500m.

    Wow that is pretty disgusting behavior. Lol.
    I never wanted a merge in the first place, but I wouldn't stoop this low.

    Alexina players are pretty salty about this.
    Entertainment at it's finest.

    They literally just announced this yesterday and it's already turning in a .

    Some of them are, frankly. Honestly I had to leave the discord yesterday because of the massive level of toxicity that was going around from ALL the servers. Like one person who was deliberately trolling those on Alexina BECAUSE some of the players mocked the others for being smaller servers? I wasn't even really aware of it, outside that a couple people did it. I didn't think there were that many trash-talking trolls, but I guess that's not really a surprise, knowing some people...
    Good gods though, I think I'm going to avoid it until this is over XP Got enough stress in my life without all that to drag what's left of my mood down!
    Pikangie
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 42,585
    Posts: 6,111
    Member
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Harukari wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    I'm going to steal some player's IGNs. I hope you guys look forward to it, because you'll regret excluding Alexina out. S> IGNs, 500m.

    Wow that is pretty disgusting behavior. Lol.
    I never wanted a merge in the first place, but I wouldn't stoop this low.

    Alexina players are pretty salty about this.
    Entertainment at it's finest.

    They literally just announced this yesterday and it's already turning in a .

    Some of them are, frankly. Honestly I had to leave the discord yesterday because of the massive level of toxicity that was going around from ALL the servers. Like one person who was deliberately trolling those on Alexina BECAUSE some of the players mocked the others for being smaller servers? I wasn't even really aware of it, outside that a couple people did it. I didn't think there were that many trash-talking trolls, but I guess that's not really a surprise, knowing some people...
    Good gods though, I think I'm going to avoid it until this is over XP Got enough stress in my life without all that to drag what's left of my mood down!

    Good thing i rarely see a point to engage myself in Discord servers... I have it, i'm in it, but i'm mainly lurking or just somewhere else.
  • FirebitsFirebits
    Mabinogi Rep: 430
    Posts: 5
    Member
    It'd be better if they simply wrote (T) (R) (M) after an original ign and locked them permanently that way once the merge happens (instead of the whole server name). Additionally, any name that has duplicates shouldn't be able to be remade in the plain form, to prevent the sniping.
    I'd be okay with that, and I started playing the moment the game went live.
    ShakayaDanievictria
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 45,640
    Posts: 6,911
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    Firebits wrote: »
    It'd be better if they simply wrote (T) (R) (M) after an original ign and locked them permanently that way once the merge happens (instead of the whole server name). Additionally, any name that has duplicates shouldn't be able to be remade in the plain form, to prevent the sniping.
    I'd be okay with that, and I started playing the moment the game went live.

    I want to be able to get rid of that tag eventually. It's going to look tacky.

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,135
    Posts: 2,433
    Member
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 45,640
    Posts: 6,911
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »

    Are you saying you're broken?

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,135
    Posts: 2,433
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

    Are you saying you're broken?

    Since Alexina was left out, I'm heartbroken. :P
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,420
    Posts: 712
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Harukari wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    I'm going to steal some player's IGNs. I hope you guys look forward to it, because you'll regret excluding Alexina out. S> IGNs, 500m.

    Wow that is pretty disgusting behavior. Lol.
    I never wanted a merge in the first place, but I wouldn't stoop this low.

    Alexina players are pretty salty about this.
    Entertainment at it's finest.

    They literally just announced this yesterday and it's already turning in a .

    Some of them are, frankly. Honestly I had to leave the discord yesterday because of the massive level of toxicity that was going around from ALL the servers. Like one person who was deliberately trolling those on Alexina BECAUSE some of the players mocked the others for being smaller servers? I wasn't even really aware of it, outside that a couple people did it. I didn't think there were that many trash-talking trolls, but I guess that's not really a surprise, knowing some people...
    Good gods though, I think I'm going to avoid it until this is over XP Got enough stress in my life without all that to drag what's left of my mood down!

    Good thing i rarely see a point to engage myself in Discord servers... I have it, i'm in it, but i'm mainly lurking or just somewhere else.

    The funny thing is, I generally lurk, I just take a look around when things actually happen or I'm dead bored and brain don't wanna do anything else. Like the 12hr maintenance and then this.
    Only this turned into a brush-fire instead of mindless memes. Not quite as entertaining to watch.
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 45,640
    Posts: 6,911
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Harukari wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    I'm going to steal some player's IGNs. I hope you guys look forward to it, because you'll regret excluding Alexina out. S> IGNs, 500m.

    Wow that is pretty disgusting behavior. Lol.
    I never wanted a merge in the first place, but I wouldn't stoop this low.

    Alexina players are pretty salty about this.
    Entertainment at it's finest.

    They literally just announced this yesterday and it's already turning in a .

    Some of them are, frankly. Honestly I had to leave the discord yesterday because of the massive level of toxicity that was going around from ALL the servers. Like one person who was deliberately trolling those on Alexina BECAUSE some of the players mocked the others for being smaller servers? I wasn't even really aware of it, outside that a couple people did it. I didn't think there were that many trash-talking trolls, but I guess that's not really a surprise, knowing some people...
    Good gods though, I think I'm going to avoid it until this is over XP Got enough stress in my life without all that to drag what's left of my mood down!

    Good thing i rarely see a point to engage myself in Discord servers... I have it, i'm in it, but i'm mainly lurking or just somewhere else.

    The funny thing is, I generally lurk, I just take a look around when things actually happen or I'm dead bored and brain don't wanna do anything else. Like the 12hr maintenance and then this.
    Only this turned into a brush-fire instead of mindless memes. Not quite as entertaining to watch.

    Man on that day there was a lot of sour players. Knowing that players from Alexina always gloated that they have the biggest server and that they didn't care that everyone was flocking to them. That they are the master race and bunch of other childish bs. They didn't care that the other severs were suffering. They would blatantly discourage players from going to the other servers. We all know who they are in these forums. We saw it every time there was a what server should I go to thread? They would swoop in and piss on everyone else. You know it! We all saw it! Pissed a lot of people off including me.

    I even got flak from Kadalyn who is part of the wiki staff (and from Alexina). I said "this is poetic justice" for all the bs that those players would troll us with in these forums! She put a ban hammer reaction on that comment in discord. That's not bleeping professional! This whole situation has brought out the ugly in EVERYONE.

    I can not wait for this be done and over with.

    Honestly, given Alexina's track record of being total douchebags for YEARS to everyone. I don't want them merged with us. Sue me for saying that. I don't care. I am just going to be truthful about this. I don't want to deal with a bunch of rotten children. EVERYONE knows that this is the truth! I can pull up dozens of examples on here where they were complete asshats on these forums and in discord in the past.

    And I know for a FACT that many players from Alexina never wanted to merge because they considered themselves the superior server. I'm glad that the tables have turned. I can assure you when this is done, we won't do what you guys did. I believe that we're better than that. /rant

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    Posts: 796
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Gaea wrote: »
    And I know for a FACT that many players from Alexina never wanted to merge because they considered themselves the superior server. I'm glad that the tables have turned. It's called karma. I hope when this is done and over with that we don't do what you guys did. /rant

    Sending a server to higher inactivity and a swifter death is karma? Cool beans.
    Every server has jerks. Using that as a reason to exclude other servers from being merged is useless, given how the other 3 servers have their own stigmas about how mean spirited players are.
    GretaTwelie
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 45,640
    Posts: 6,911
    Member
    edited May 22, 2019
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Gaea wrote: »
    And I know for a FACT that many players from Alexina never wanted to merge because they considered themselves the superior server. I'm glad that the tables have turned. It's called karma. I hope when this is done and over with that we don't do what you guys did. /rant

    Sending a server to higher inactivity and a swifter death is karma? Cool beans.
    Every server has jerks. Using that as a reason to exclude other servers from being merged is useless, given how the other 3 servers have their own stigmas about how mean spirited players are.

    Buffalos you've been part of these forums for many years just as I have. You also saw all that toxic bs whenever there was one of those threads on here. I just wanted to put that out there because it's true. I am absolutely sick of all this crap.

    DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.