Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How long will the merge take?

CrimsọnCrimsọn
Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
edited May 22, 2019 in General Chat
So I am curious how long do you think the merge will take? Given NA's track history and the fact that this merge is going to start on a monday. I think the game is going to be down for a substantial amount of time. Definitely going to be longer than 12 hours, I could tell by the look on Katherz face during the announcement that this is going to be super LONG. Like longer than when Iria was released, and that took days. People go absolutely insane when this game is down longer than 5 hours. Will you have your popcorn ready? Because there are going to be some belligerent players.

Place your bets!

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
Helsa
  1. How long do you think the merge will take?67 votes
    1. 12 hours
       12% (8 votes)
    2. 1 day
       16% (11 votes)
    3. 2 days
       16% (11 votes)
    4. 3 days
       19% (13 votes)
    5. 1 week
       12% (8 votes)
    6. Cancelled
       24% (16 votes)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Hard to say, depending on whether they work around-the-clock or not. A friend of mine on Ruari had an interesting thought: maintenances are on Wednesday or Thursday but this one starts on Monday. So their thinking is that it will take TO Wednesday or Thursday. IIRC Katherz said it would take "a lot" longer than the 12h maintenance did. I assumed they're gonna work around the clock, if all goes smoothly, then I voted 24 hours. But I mean, if the cleaning staff accidentally dusts the wrong keyboard then it could be longer. Who can say.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    On the official merge thread, I had a thought.. and kinda think it might be relevant here too. The thought was what if they add G23 at the same time.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 22, 2019
    On the official merge thread, I had a thought.. and kinda think it might be relevant here too. The thought was what if they add G23 at the same time.

Hell no. There is going to be at least several weeks of clean up after the merge goes through. Tickets upon tickets of stuff missing and other crap.
    Helsa wrote: »
    Hard to say, depending on whether they work around-the-clock or not. A friend of mine on Ruari had an interesting thought: maintenances are on Wednesday or Thursday but this one starts on Monday. So their thinking is that it will take TO Wednesday or Thursday. IIRC Katherz said it would take "a lot" longer than the 12h maintenance did. I assumed they're gonna work around the clock, if all goes smoothly, then I voted 24 hours. But I mean, if the cleaning staff accidentally dusts the wrong keyboard then it could be longer. Who can say.

I imagine there are going to be shifts for something like this and if everything goes smoothly - they will have a scheduled time during business hours that the server will become open again. But not before a bleep ton of testing.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
    Helsa
  • TreepTreep
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,930
    Let's see if we can beat Iria Maintenance :D~!
    WolfsingerImaizumiGaby5011roseangel
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Will take at least 3 days, but in the end it will be cancelled. Lol.
  • courtneyycourtneyy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    I'm going to place bets that the full merge will be done in 2 days, but just to give some confidence in Nexon I'll say they can do it in mmmm.... 8 - 12 hours c: *You can do it, guys/girls Hoorah!*

I'm curious to see how many tickets and problems arise after the maint. I'm a little nervous, but I'm assuming they have a plan in place to deter any data loss. I hope.
  • GretaGreta
    edited May 19, 2019
    8-12 hour merge will definitely end up in failure lol.
    I will wait for karma to hit these people who pissed at Alexina all these past 2 weeks. I'm telling you, something ugly WILL happen after the merge and i'm ready to get amusement of it.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 22, 2019
    Greta wrote: »
    Will take at least 3 days, but in the end it will be cancelled. Lol.

I think they will throw in the towel after 2 days. XD

Helsa
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 22, 2019
    Pan wrote: »
    Think they're going to screw up and shut the game down instead.

And here is Pan's troll everyone.

Helsa
  • GretaGreta
    edited May 20, 2019
    Gaea wrote: »

I just read em, and move on. It doesn't work on me anymore. You should ignore too.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 22, 2019
    Greta wrote: »

I just read em, and move on. It doesn't work on me anymore. You should ignore too.

It shouldn't continue on rampant.

Helsa
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    edited May 20, 2019
    Merge won't be cancelled, but I will be cancelled if I lose any of my items during the merge.
    I feel like it'll take 3 days though.
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    edited May 20, 2019
    Items they probably know to keep an eye on. I'm more worried about more obscure things such as Baltane squire stats/likeability, character age (I've been trying to get the old title for a while), etc that we might not have thought of and will only notice after it's too late.
    Is there going to be another vote on Alexit for Alexina leaving the NAO?
  • HelsaHelsa
    courtneyy wrote: »
    I'm going to place bets that the full merge will be done in 2 days, but just to give some confidence in Nexon I'll say they can do it in mmmm.... 8 - 12 hours c: *You can do it, guys/girls Hoorah!*

I'm curious to see how many tickets and problems arise after the maint. I'm a little nervous, but I'm assuming they have a plan in place to deter any data loss. I hope.

If they manage to anticipate everything, other than name theft, guild stone spot loss, and certain other issues, it could go smoothly. Although Katherz said it will take longer than 12 hours, this could just be CYA. From the outside looking in, the actual action to make the merge could take 8 hours, but even then, it doesn't end there. They have to run a data comparison with the 3-server backup, to ensure no losses of data, and perform other tests including logging into the server before it goes live.

On the other hand, if they miss something, then they have to:
    1. realize that they missed something,
    2. find what they missed,
    3. determine if they can fix the consequences from what they missed,
    4. finally they have to fix what they missed. If that involves a "do over" well there's the time needed doubled.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    They can make this process easier by just deleting the other 3 servers.
    THICCthighssavelives
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    12-18 hours on the day of.
    Up to 3-4 weeks with maybe double the maintenance's of 2-5 hours to get the engine running properly.
  • AkirachuAkirachu
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,260
    if its the kr team 12 hours na team 3 days to a week
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 22, 2019

Pan I swear to god knock that BLEEP off. :|

Helsa
  • HelsaHelsa

Pan I swear to god knock that BLEEP off. :|

That's the payoff for them; don't feed the trolls.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    Should knock the other 3 servers off.