Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[Announcement] Server Merge & FAQ

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Eralea wrote: »
    I have a serious and urgent question about the merge.

The FAQ says this:
    Q: What contents will be reset with the merge?
    A: The following contents will be reset with the merge:
    - Though all events should end before the merge date, please be advised that the main character selection will be reset.

Merge date is June 3rd, but Tennis Bingo event is on until June 6th.

DwZsq.png

Is this correct? As Tennis Bingo doesn't seem to be ending before the merge date, will the main characters in that event be reset? Or was there a mistake in the event page, and it's actually supposed to end on June 3rd?

If it's the latter, I won't have enough coins to complete it lol

It's all junk anyway, not worth completing.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    The Server Merge was a result of over three years of feedback and community discussion.
    You probably would've noticed it if you had checked the Megathread in the Feedback section.
    The server merge is to balance the populations of the three servers, and to make Nao at equivalent population to Alexina.
    There is no reason to spread FUD, as Nexon KR has been hard at work to deliver us as many updates as possible.

• PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited May 25, 2019
    The Server Merge was a result of over three years of feedback and community discussion.
    You probably would've noticed it if you had checked the Megathread in the Feedback section.
    The server merge is to balance the populations of the three servers, and to make Nao at equivalent population to Alexina.
    There is no reason to spread FUD, as Nexon KR has been hard at work to deliver us as many updates as possible.

Oh, I am quite aware of the Megathread.

I even posted in it quite a few times.

In the end, it doesn't matter what set this off. It's a bad idea, and it won't work.

Were this ANY other hosting company, I'd give them a chance.

But this is Nexon. Quit fooling yourself. This will not end well.

It never does.

As for balancing, HAH. That's a laugh. Like that'll actually balance it. What with all the claims that "Alexina is at least half-bot" (or something to that effect), and Tarlach and Ruairi having become like small communities (where everyone knows your name), the population is not even a fraction of what it once was.

The main issue isn't that people are having a hard time finding others to play with. If that is, somehow, an issue, its a minor one compared to the real issues.

The issues that a server merge will NEVER be able to fix.

You call it "FUD". I call it "assumptions based on an analysis of Nexon's past history, which is HORRID, to say the least".
    Greta
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited May 25, 2019

Oh, I am quite aware of the Megathread.

I even posted in it quite a few times.

In the end, it doesn't matter what set this off. It's a bad idea, and it won't work.

Were this ANY other hosting company, I'd give them a chance.

But this is Nexon. Quit fooling yourself. This will not end well.

It never does.

Agreed. I always saw people suggesting all server merge. I don't understand how they came with this idea. It's just gonna make things go back to square one because eventually one of these servers will die out again and they will be forced either to shut down or merge again, which is indeed unwise and annoying step to do all over again.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    The entire thing is a bad idea. The only "change" that comes after a server merge is-
    Greta wrote: »
    Agreed. I always saw people suggesting all server merge. I don't understand how they came with this idea.
    It's just gonna make things go back to square one because-

Saying that you believe that the merge is a bad idea is one thing, but going and saying that things will go badly is not what the admins would like to see.
    Please go read this official post once more.
    The disclaimers inside of comments were started as more of a community meme in response to another user who was intentionally spreading FUD, but some responding comments still contained FUD.
    As the admins have already stated, they are testing the merge in order to assure everything goes correctly.
    "regardless of what has happened in the past"
    No one can predict the population progression of servers, even after a lengthy and careful merge.
    Nexon KR has already prepared a bunch of new content which players have been asking for, and it will be sure to draw in a crowd.
    All we have to do is wait for Nexon NA to announce it sometime after the merge.

SkaidrojumiWolfsinger
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890

Cause the only decision after a "Server Merge" is to shut down the service.

Aha, there it is!

Way back when the idea first started popping up, doomsayers would predict that a server merge would be "the final nail in the coffin". I was wondering where those folks went to.

Anyway... welcome back, I guess.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Cause the only decision after a "Server Merge" is-
    Aha, there it is!
    Way back when the idea first started popping up, doomsayers would predict that a server merge would be "the final nail in the coffin". I was wondering where those folks went to.

If Mabinogi were truly doomed, Nexon KR wouldn't be making a rap video for the newest update and 15th aniv event, which also appears to be a month long thing.
    Their community also wouldn't be posting more Youtube videos about the latest music update, either.
    Mabinogi gets more popular with each update, so as soon as the spaghetti is untangled... graphics will more than likely be the next update to tackle.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Oh, people have been predicting doom since 2010. I've seen games die, we're nowhere near that point.

Still, if there was only one thing I could change about Mabi to improve gameplay, it would be increasing the drop rates.

Mabi's core game is the dungeon crawling - get strong, fight monsters, pick up loot, make nice stuff with loot, get even stronger, repeat. In my experience, the problem with finding parties is not caused the population of the server, it's the lack of motivation in the existing players.

People don't want to run dungeons and missions because they think there won't be any payoff - and most of the time, they're right. You're not getting that dopamine bump if you open the box and your 200th gem falls out. Of course folks will get bored and burned out. The game should have more feelgood brain chemistry that doesn't revolve around opening gacha.
    NegumikoWolfsingerDarkpixie99KitiniLiberate
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Oh, people have been predicting doom since 2010. I've seen games die, we're nowhere near that point.

Still, if there was only one thing I could change about Mabi to improve gameplay, it would be increasing the drop rates.

Mabi's core game is the dungeon crawling - get strong, fight monsters, pick up loot, make nice stuff with loot, get even stronger, repeat. In my experience, the problem with finding parties is not caused the population of the server, it's the lack of motivation in the existing players.

People don't want to run dungeons and missions because they think there won't be any payoff - and most of the time, they're right. You're not getting that dopamine bump if you open the box and your 200th gem falls out. Of course folks will get bored and burned out. The game should have more feelgood brain chemistry that doesn't revolve around opening gacha.

that is true, the chests at the end of the dungeon usually have nothing valuable. I only go into dungeons collect monsters for transformation mastery. just going in for the chest at the end is a waste of time cause even the rare rewards have extremely low drop rates. what happens most of the time when you are hoping for a rare item drop from a dungeon chest after wasting about a hour getting through 3 to 5 floors:

dd7s1dw-0e307f63-de50-4cc3-933e-a1e8290614e6.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGQ3czFkdy0wZTMwN2Y2My1kZTUwLTRjYzMtOTMzZS1hMWU4MjkwNjE0ZTYuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.wWRvdGfYIJrsKjMPTHENBM5jMG_krUZp8nawjSbm-h0
    Darkpixie99PlatinaKokiKitiniPride
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    /************************************************************\
    *·DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of··*
    *·Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is······*
    *·ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners·····*
    *·has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them···*
    *·as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.··········*
    \************************************************************/

A few quick comments on various subjects discussed above:

* Increasing drop rates would increase supply of said items lowering their price. Easing of the markets would be welcome by most. The reasons given to justify it I think are solid. So, I'm all for it.

* Whereas all on-line games will eventually run their course, Nexon is still pumping money into this one, so it would seem, for now, it is not in danger.

* With regards to the pending merge, the character renaming kludge and auxiliary issues stemming from it aside, my gut tells me it will go fairly smoothly.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    edited May 26, 2019
    The entire thing is a bad idea. The only "change" that comes after a server merge is-
    Agreed. I always saw people suggesting all server merge. I don't understand how they came with this idea.
    It's just gonna make things go back to square one because-

Saying that you believe that the merge is a bad idea is one thing, but going and saying that things will go badly is not what the admins would like to see.
    Please go read this official post once more.
    The disclaimers inside of comments were started as more of a community meme in response to another user who was intentionally spreading FUD, but some responding comments still contained FUD.
    As the admins have already stated, they are testing the merge in order to assure everything goes correctly.
    "regardless of what has happened in the past"
    No one can predict the population progression of servers, even after a lengthy and careful merge.
    Nexon KR has already prepared a bunch of new content which players have been asking for, and it will be sure to draw in a crowd.
    All we have to do is wait for Nexon NA to announce it sometime after the merge.

Intention is irrelevant.

Pleione is a second-world factory just one meltdown from imploding. The people behind Pleione no longer work at DevCAT, so if a fatal error occurs, good luck trying to fix it.

I'm just taking into consideration the worst-case scenario. That way, if it does happen that way, I'll have figured so ahead of time, and, in the incredibly unlikely chance that they manage to do it correctly, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Still pissed, but pleasantly surprised.
    Cause the only decision after a "Server Merge" is-
    Aha, there it is!

If Mabinogi were truly doomed, Nexon KR wouldn't be making a rap video for the newest update and 15th aniv event, which also appears to be a month long thing.
    Their community also wouldn't be posting more Youtube videos about the latest music update, either.
    Mabinogi gets more popular with each update, so as soon as the spaghetti is untangled... graphics will more than likely be the next update to tackle.

Therein lies another false statement.

"Its popular in Korea, so it won't die over here."

Yes, it IS popular.

In Korea.

Here? Not so much. Its popularity in Korea has no influence on whether it will stay here.

"Nexon KR has already prepared a bunch of new content which players have been asking for, and it will be sure to draw in a crowd."
    That means absolutely f*****g nothing if they don't stay. Content can only hold people for a finite time. Just look at all those crossover events: a momentary surge that just as quickly fizzles out once its over/once people see its more than 50% Gacha-roll-luck crap. The question is "will this new content KEEP people playing?"

If the answer is no, then nothing has been solved. It's just prolonged a struggling game for a few extra weeks longer than it would have been without.

We've never had the kind of traffic that KR has had (for a multitude of reasons); even Japan has a bigger playerbase than us, and that's not counting all the anime-obsessed nutjobs: when G18 came out in Japan, there was physical advertising in public places promoting the update.

The last time I saw an ad for Mabinogi was the one that brought me back here back in 2009. If there are ads for Mabinogi, they're almost non-existent.

As for graphics, a simple tweaking won't do it for many. A lot of the people turned off by the graphics most likely expect a re-design on the level of Vindi; EVERYTHING majorly overhauled, to fit in line with some of the popular games today.

I don't know the specifications of the Pleione engine, but if it has trouble even smoothly running something like Mabi, then it will, in no way, be able to handle something on par with today's games.

As for FUD, that's a guarantee. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt are never going to disappear, especially when Nexon is involved. Am I advocating the spread of it? No, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I guess we'll find out on the 3rd. Either we wake up on the 4th with the game somehow still in a functioning state, or we see the remains of another failed escapade that we've warned Nexon about forever.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 26, 2019
    Intention is irrelevant
    Follow the admin's desire to keep up Forum ToS and stick with a outlook positive until the server merge is done, plain and simple.
    Nexon doesn't need this FUD on an already difficult update.
    As I have stated many times over, Nexon KR has been working on untangling the spaghetti code.
    Once the spaghetti code is detangled, the engine can be upgraded after the code revision into something more modern.
    All is well in KR, so all is well in development. Content will be well tested, and will be as well performing as humanly possible.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    edited May 26, 2019
    Intention is irrelevant
    Follow the admin's desire to keep up Forum ToS and stick with a outlook positive until the server merge is done, plain and simple.
    Nexon doesn't need this FUD on an already difficult update.
    As I have stated many times over, Nexon KR has been working on untangling the spaghetti code.
    Once the spaghetti code is detangled, the engine can be upgraded after the code revision into something more modern.
    All is well in KR, so all is well in development. Content will be well tested, and will be as well performing as humanly possible.

Your blind optimism will be your downfall, one day.

As for me, they have not answered any concerns afaik. They have given me no reason to be "assured" of anything. And, like I said, its not FUD: Its assumption based on reliable rememberance of past issues.

I'm not going to fake being "positive" when I see no positive in the server merge.

Let me remind you of something.

I. Am. 100%. AGAINST. A. Server. Merge.

I will never have a "positive" attitude about it,

And, here's something you keep on forgetting.

Nexon KR and Nexon NA are DIFFERENT branches. Just because KR is fine, doesn't mean NA is.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 26, 2019
    Well too bad, it's time to grow up and deal with the years of players who were for one.
    I will never have a "positive" attitude about it.

Which is probably why you should probably stop spreading FUD before you get a serious warning.
    Even if you don't like it, you don't get to spread fear or doubt when the admins strictly said:
    "All comments are subject to moderation as agreed on when creating an account and posting on the forums. While we understand that a lot of you are concerned with the upcoming Server Merge, that does not give you the right to spread any kind of misinformation about the merge, regardless of what has happened in the past."

• PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    edited May 26, 2019
    Well too bad, it's time to grow up and deal with the years of players who were for one.
    I will never have a "positive" attitude about it.

Which is probably why you should probably stop spreading FUD before you get a serious warning.
    Even if you don't like it, you don't get to spread fear or doubt when the admins strictly said:
    "All comments are subject to moderation as agreed on when creating an account and posting on the forums. While we understand that a lot of you are concerned with the upcoming Server Merge, that does not give you the right to spread any kind of misinformation about the merge, regardless of what has happened in the past."
    Its not FUD. I have the right to have legitimate concerns, and to voice them.

And what about the other people who don't want a merge? Oh, that's right, they don't count to you.

gBO3Euw.jpg
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Is still sour about the merge.

Nothing you can do now but deal with it.
    59912784.jpg

• WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    edited May 26, 2019

My gosh, I'm sorry but -
    n8FTb23.gif
    I have many concerns and questions on this of my own, but there are BETTER ways of expressing it than this. The pic above being an excellent example of what's....generally not preferable, and will just help get you shut down and ignored.
    Whatever your intentions, whether you mean to speak that way or not, what you are doing does sound like FUD, and not like someone legitimately concerned - In fact you sound more like a branch of trolls I know, and quite frankly I had personally written you off as one of them long ago. Calm down, take a deep breath, step down and consider your next words before you do actually get in trouble. If you are legit, you need to take that into consideration, like any good debate team member would.
    If you're not, then keep right on going sounding like a troll. This is all I'm saying on the matter, and I'm going back to my previous lurk. Good luck, and good night.
    Darkpixie99
  • GretaGreta
    No FUD seeing here. Just arguments.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99

One prolonged issue about a problem that won't even exist...
    f2e1029aa633f072cca1a677fcb088a81815cefe.jpeg
    Wolfsinger
  • GretaGreta
    edited May 27, 2019

One prolonged issue about a problem that won't even exist...
    f2e1029aa633f072cca1a677fcb088a81815cefe.jpeg

Here comes more dumb irrelevant memes?
    Ok.