Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name change? Where is it?

ZetophiZetophi
Mabinogi Rep: 1,425
edited June 14, 2019 in General Chat
Why is it taking so long to create a line of code to allow name changes? And then a corresponding item or just allow us to do it during rebirth?
I can't get married because it doesn't like my name, I can't join new guilds because of it ether. that + and extra capitol letter in my name :(
MesantorganSpareoh

Comments

• KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited June 14, 2019
    /LetMeDie !

/LetMeDie !

/LetMeDie !

I would like to know as well
  • ZetophiZetophi
    Well the way I see it, we ether get the name changes soon, or people will start dropping like flies. Or Wiping out their own characters just so they can make characters with their own names, without the +Server on them.
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    Hm, I think the process right now is going a little like this...:

Staffer 1: Alright, now I'll just plug in this variable, add this if statement and...

*Code shatters like glass and the shards catch on fire and turn radioactive all at once*

Staffer 2: Dude! What did you do?!!

Staffer 1: I just added a simple if statement, and--

Staffer 2: An if statement?! You know this code can't take one more if statement!! What is wrong with you?!

*The flaming, radioactive code shards proceed to explode*

Staffer 1: I'm sorry! I'm sorry!!

...And that's why we must wait...
    VictrixErikaMusicat
  • LokitinLokitin
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    I think it’s a lot more complicated than writing a code. There’s surely a lot of bugs they need to test and iron out. I highly doubt they’re dragging their feet...name changes have *never* been a thing before, they likely have to rewrite a LOT of programming. Guilds, friend lists, menus, personal items, seal breakers, housing, etc...they’re probably trying to figure out a way that causes the least collateral damage; such as not having to force everyone to rejoin guilds, get re-married, rebreak seals, etc...because as much as we all want to get our names fixed, most people would probably lose their minds if all of those things reset, because Nexon can never make everyone happy.
    DanievictriaZetophiSherriVictrixMusicatWolfsingerDarkpixie99
  • ZetophiZetophi
    I would loose my mind if I lost EVERYTHING. Like the game dying...
    I think people are just happy to see people :D
  • LokitinLokitin
    Zetophi wrote: »
    I would loose my mind if I lost EVERYTHING. Like the game dying...
    I think people are just happy to see people :D

Personally, yeah, I wouldn’t give a damn if I had to rejoin a guild or whatever. As long as it can be easily remedied. If some guild leaders needed to remake their guilds entirely, Nexon could maybe compensate them with a free month or two of VIP or NX or something. But I think Nexon is just trying their best to piss the least amount of people off. There’s only a handful of players who speak up on the forums, which can’t really speak for the majority...so they’re in a tricky spot.

We KNOW name changes are coming, eventually. If anything, people are just going to leave for a month and come back once the name thing is fixed. I can’t imagine Mabi permanently dying because names temporarily look ugly or some people temporarily can’t leave a guild. I’d rather they don’t rush it and cause even more unforeseen glitches.
    SherriDanievictriaRadiant DawnWolfsinger
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited June 14, 2019
    It's the insane rare chance where I finally get to rename a character who I've already closed off all loose-ends with. With a namechange, they'll be able to die for good :P

No more pass-the-spider either, that gets deleted too. I'm freee aaaahhaahahahhhahhaaa!
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited June 14, 2019
    It works overseas already, so it is ready to go, but first they have to fix all the stuff that broke as a result of the merge.

As for allowing for unlimited name duplication; that will take some time.
    DanievictriaSherri
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    edited June 14, 2019
    Zetophi wrote: »
    Why is it taking so long to create a line of code to allow name changes? And then a corresponding item or just allow us to do it during rebirth?
    I can't get married because it doesn't like my name, I can't join new guilds because of it ether. that + and extra capitol letter in my name :(

One line of code? Let's just write it for them so that they just need to copy/paste. That way they have no more excuses.
    while( strlen( PlayerName ) >= 5 ) {PlayerName = PlayerName + "+Alexina";}

Helsa wrote: »
    It works overseas already, so it is ready to go, but first they have to fix all the stuff that broke as a result of the merge.

As for allowing for unlimited name duplication; that will take some time.

A lot of stuff overseas don't seem to be able to be directly ported across, we still don't have the squire mobile app and setting up an API for that is probably easier then manipulating a database in a way that it probably wasn't designed to be manipulated.
    Danievictria
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    I ranted my rant. It got deleted. This thread will get deleted too.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Gaea wrote: »

Just as a reminder, claiming something is not FUD, does not exempt it from being so. Also, threads/replies are not supposed to be directed at CMs,
    PanSpareoh
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Now Playing: Michael Jackson's [namechange]Where is it?
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    hopefully before name changes their considering merging alexina.. and the longer it takes the longer alexina may? be merged.... maybe not...(probably not) (just hoping thats the reason....sigh...)
    Greta
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Hm, I think the process right now is going a little like this...:

Staffer 1: Alright, now I'll just plug in this variable, add this if statement and...

*Code shatters like glass and the shards catch on fire and turn radioactive all at once*

Staffer 2: Dude! What did you do?!!

Staffer 1: I just added a simple if statement, and--

Staffer 2: An if statement?! You know this code can't take one more if statement!! What is wrong with you?!

*The flaming, radioactive code shards proceed to explode*

Staffer 1: I'm sorry! I'm sorry!!

...And that's why we must wait...

What is this, Yandere dev?
    KensamaofmariSherriDanievictria
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited June 19, 2019
    Aquasol wrote: »

Just as a reminder, claiming something is not FUD, does not exempt it from being so. Also, threads/replies are not supposed to be directed at CMs,

Yeah yeah, I know you guys rant about me in private chats and crap. "Oh there she goes again SIGH. I am so sick of her. Katherz can you please just ban her and be done with it? Please??" You guys just don't get it. You're in your little positions trying to control the forums and protect them. But you know what has gone down is complete bs. Getting names fixed and thus fixing guilds should of been their main priority when this problem arose.

Screw the schedule. YES everything else should have halted when that happened. There are 1000's of players effected. :|

/mini rant, waits for another mod or whatever to douse me out

TheDumbOne wrote: »
    hopefully before name changes their considering merging alexina.. and the longer it takes the longer alexina may? be merged.... maybe not...(probably not) (just hoping thats the reason....sigh...)

Not happening, quit hoping. We keep telling you guys it can't happen for many different reasons and it just flies the hell over your heads. Channel 1 is inaccessible during peak hours. Stop.

And don't tell me to just go to another channel.
    I have things I want to sell that can only be sold in personal shops and the best hopes of them being sold quickly while the market continues to crash is to have a shop on channel 1 where all the impulse buyers are.

:|

[Content Removed; please do not flame other members]
  • LokitinLokitin
    [...] But you know what has gone down is complete bs. Getting names fixed and thus fixing guilds should of been their main priority when this problem arose.

Screw the schedule. YES everything else should have halted when that happened. There are 1000's of players effected. :|

The game is still playable, though. Not being able to leave a guild and having an ugly name is hardly impeding anyone’s overall gaming experience. If your guild is annoying, you can mute it. If you want to join a new guild, you can join their discord sever until things can be made official. It’s a little bit inconvenient but I don’t think it’s all that big of a deal. If things stay broken, then sure, I might start side-eyeing Nexon...but they’re working on it as we speak. It’ll get fixed. The bugs can be easily worked around in the meantime. In 3-6 months no one will even remember this.
    MusicatTheDumbOneGretaSherri
  • MusicatMusicat
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
    I have things I want to sell

Hmmm... Let me think. I'd suggest you
    just go to another channel.
    TheDumbOneRadiant DawnWolfsingerGretaKetsuekiOfRuairi
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790

Not happening, quit hoping. We keep telling you guys it can't happen for many different reasons and it just flies the hell over your heads. Channel 1 is inaccessible during peak hours. Stop.

I have things I want to sell that can only be sold in personal shops and the best hopes of them being sold quickly while the market continues to crash is to have a shop on channel 1 where all the impulse buyers are.
    9dnGeIh.png

so cus you cant get to channel one?.... that was alexina for a very long time(before auction house existed,belvest, and channels 6 and 7).. and i never complained... im baffled at simple things alexina found normal... to be such a major inconvenience to nao players....
    LokitinGretaYummei
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited June 18, 2019

9dnGeIh.png

so cus you cant get to channel one?.... that was alexina for a very long time(before auction house existed,belvest, and channels 6 and 7).. and i never complained... im baffled at simple things alexina found normal... to be such a major inconvenience to nao players....

Phew... Thank god someone else thinks like me.

*thumbs up*

Now... Let the merge begin.
  • LastSaturdayLastSaturday
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,215
    Nao I'm curious on how they're actually storing data. I mean if it were relational you'd think they would just use one table for this and it wouldn't be that difficult as the names are fetched... but are they saving the names else where as well? Given the game was from 2002 it more than likely is relational...
    Then again I worked for a company from then that had the philosophy that a database should fit on a disk so they had a few hundred databases and no indexing or anything of that nature. Fun work cleaning it and hourly pay so all good