Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Block listing used skillbooks on the AH

NerezzaNerezza
Mabinogi Rep: 685
in Feedback and Suggestions
Lately on the Nao server there's been a trend of people posting used skill books on the AH at either full price, or prices between 10-90% less than the current "legitimate book" price.

Aside from the seal missing on the book icon, there's also a red text warning above the purchase button to help prevent people from buying those useless books (though I wouldn't be surprised if people bought them on accident anyway.) Unfortunately as a person selling (legitimate) skill books on the AH I've also seen people post new listings that match the price of a much lower priced used skill book, so even if people aren't buying those used skill books it's still causing issues by influencing the prices of legitimate skill books.

The best solution I can think of is making it so that used skill books cannot be posted on the AH. It's only good for scammers and "price trolling", as I would call it.

A bit unrelated: I want to note that I'm noticing a huge increase in scammers post-merge. I'm not sure what can be done about it, but Nexon's been running MMOs for nearly two decades now so I would hope that if the problem could be brought to their attention, they would have some way to deal with it.
HisahimeDonk3y

Comments

• PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Nerezza wrote: »
    Lately on the Nao server there's been a trend of people posting used skill books on the AH at either full price, or prices between 10-90% less than the current "legitimate book" price.

Aside from the seal missing on the book icon, there's also a red text warning above the purchase button to help prevent people from buying those useless books (though I wouldn't be surprised if people bought them on accident anyway.) Unfortunately as a person selling (legitimate) skill books on the AH I've also seen people post new listings that match the price of a much lower priced used skill book, so even if people aren't buying those used skill books it's still causing issues by influencing the prices of legitimate skill books.

The best solution I can think of is making it so that used skill books cannot be posted on the AH. It's only good for scammers and "price trolling", as I would call it.

A bit unrelated: I want to note that I'm noticing a huge increase in scammers post-merge. I'm not sure what can be done about it, but Nexon's been running MMOs for nearly two decades now so I would hope that if the problem could be brought to their attention, they would have some way to deal with it.

The best way to solve the issue would be to make used books un-tradeable completely.
    Kensamaofmari
  • HisahimeHisahime
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    Honestly I agree with that, once a skill book is used, it should be completely untradeable.
  • LidrsterLidrster
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,830
    Or just remove it from the inventory once it's used, like most consumables...
    DanievictriaDonk3y
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    But what if someone really wants to get their hands on a skill book for collecting purposes? Making it untradable will hurt the market for book collectors and will really hurt the people selling them, which is mainly struggling low-gold-income players who just want to uplift themselves out of their situation. Think of these economic minorities before shutting down one of their most important sources of gold. Heck, buy one of those used books to show support for them instead of giving gold to some fat cat selling dead bees for millions.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    But what if someone really wants to get their hands on a skill book for collecting purposes? Making it untradable will hurt the market for book collectors and will really hurt the people selling them, which is mainly struggling low-gold-income players who just want to uplift themselves out of their situation. Think of these economic minorities before shutting down one of their most important sources of gold. Heck, buy one of those used books to show support for them instead of giving gold to some fat cat selling dead bees for millions.

You're.... kidding, right?
  • NerezzaNerezza

He is, yes.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited June 26, 2019

He was always like that. Don't mind him. The moment i saw the name i knew what kind of person he will be.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Make them into grimiores, consumables where they poof upon use.
    They should sell readable copies only at the bookstores/libraries for those who want to collect.
    There's no reason a collector should pay for a used book at an extortion level just to have it, better to get an unused copy without buying it off the market in that case, whether from dungeons, NPC special shops etc.
    Danievictria
  • NerezzaNerezza
    edited June 26, 2019
    I also want to note after watching some AH behaviour this morning that used skillbooks posted at prices reasonable for a "collector" to purchase at ends up just permitting a scam seller to buy a cheap used skillbook to repost at a high price. Where normally they would have some difficulty in getting those used skillbooks, these "collector priced" used skillbooks give them a steady stream to fuel their scam postings.
    Kensamaofmari
    Nerezza wrote: »
    I also want to note after watching some AH behaviour this morning that used skillbooks posted at prices reasonable for a "collector" to purchase at ends up just permitting a scam seller to buy a cheap used skillbook to repost at a high price. Where normally they would have some difficulty in getting those used skillbooks, these "collector priced" used skillbooks give them a steady stream to fuel their scam postings.

Here's my suggestion
    Make skill books not acquired from NPC shops to be tradeable only once before usage and become a personal item after usage.
    Danievictria
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    I'm pretty sure there was an update in KR that made this possible. A recent one in the past month.
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there was an update in KR that made this possible. A recent one in the past month.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    But if you do any of this, Half or more of the books in AH will be gone.... Dumb *** people selling used books. SMH
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Alternatively, make the effect of the book not go away after use.

(Seriously, what's the point of that? How exactly is a person unable to learn something from a book just because someone else read it first? That makes no sense.)
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,050
    edited July 2, 2019
    Lidrster wrote: »
    Or just remove it from the inventory once it's used, like most consumables...

Was thinking of the same thing.
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    Alternatively, make the effect of the book not go away after use.

(Seriously, what's the point of that? How exactly is a person unable to learn something from a book just because someone else read it first? That makes no sense.)

Ummmm, magic?
  • HisahimeHisahime
    Maybe even do away with skill books altogether and turn them into an item cuz most people probably don't even read them anyway.
    Hisahime wrote: »
    Maybe even do away with skill books altogether and turn them into an item cuz most people probably don't even read them anyway.

Most people don't read them.
    Some people like me do.
    Sherri
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited July 2, 2019
    This is what you see when planning to possibly buy an used skill book:

N9aNxzV.png

You need to be blind to not see this.

Also an unused skill book will have a seal next to it: y0cGk16.png

And used one doesn't have it: k1i60h7.png

Use your eyes better people... If you got time to read the books title then i'm pretty sure that you got time to read warnings or see these seals while at it as well. And if you just hate seeing used books being listed in AH, just suck it up. Why would you care anyway? It's newbies fault if they can't read. I understand if such scam works in Personal Shops, but not in AH.
    Donk3y
  • NemurikoAlexinaNemurikoAlexina
    edited July 3, 2019
    I think this is part of the scammers' goal: Look at the lowest priced book in the image above. If prices of a book are holding at around 2m, and a scammer sticks a used book on AH for 1.6m, then someone else selling that book will see the 'Lowest' price shown, without knowing whether it's real or fake, and price their book cheaper in order to have it sell. As you can see, there's a cheaper book than the fake one, at 1.59m. As a hypothetical, a scammer could have just tricked someone into selling for 400k cheaper than they needed to, which the scammer can buy and resell for the full price.
    KensamaofmariGretaHisahime